IGNORED

Tiger Woods: Not Fan Friendly

montru
Note: This thread is 4310 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Originally Posted by jaysquared

I think your problem was that your daughter wasn't old enough!  jk...

you got there first damn you , my thoughts exactly lol

Cart Bag

Hi Bore  xls Driver

Big Bertha steelhead plus  3 and 5 Woods

Pro Gold 20 and 24 degree Hybrids

MD Superstrong Irons

MD Norman Drew Low Bounce wedges

Putter 

Bob Hope had arguably the best technique for handling autograph seekers. He would grab the book or cap or whatever that person wanted signed and then get that person to walk with him as he made his way through the crowd. He would talk with that person as he signed the autograph. That way everyone could see what a swell guy he was, but he just didn't have time each person in the group. If the celeb or superstar stops and signs 100 autographs and then says. "that's all I have time for" the 101st guy thinks he's an a-hole. The next thing you know, Eminem is rapping about driving off a bridge with his girlfriend in the trunk. it's a grind for these guys to sign autographs. And some of the signatures wind up on eBay. Autograph signing is almost always a lose-lose situation for athletes and actors.

Occam's razor

Firstly i believe the posters story of woods ignoring his daughters,true woods cant sign everybodies book or cap but a smile,or a hello??,he was 'zoned in'??....thats laughable,he would have had to break his zen like trance to talk to officials,or other players before even teeing off,but its understandable,his ignorance i mean,nothing like having to interact with a couple of kids to

stop the onset of a bad round..*sarcasm*

Tiger doesn't act like that. Get over it or get over him. If you are looking for a role model that signs autographs, go with Phil or Bubba. If you want the worlds best player, go with Tiger. Personally, I don't care what he does off the course. I don't root for the nice guys out there, I root for the guys that play good golf. Tiger is Tiger. Nobody should be surprised he's not the autograph writing guy. People are different. Tiger's always been private about his life, and I respect him for that. Another celebrity comes to mind. Neil Peart, drummer of Canadian progressive rock band Rush. He's a very private guy and don't like to interact with fans at all. The other two in the group usually does the meet and greet stuff. He said he's a big fan of other artists, but he could never imagine meeting them himself. Tiger is a golfer and it's his job. If he doesn't want to sign autographs, that's his thing. You can probably find other sports stars out there acting the same. Why should it make a difference that Tiger is the best? Sure, more people want a piece of him, but he's still an individual. I'm tired of all the expectations people make of their idols.
  • Upvote 1

Ogio Grom | Callaway X Hot Pro | Callaway X-Utility 3i | Mizuno MX-700 23º | Titleist Vokey SM 52.08, 58.12 | Mizuno MX-700 15º | Titleist 910 D2 9,5º | Scotty Cameron Newport 2 | Titleist Pro V1x and Taylormade Penta | Leupold GX-1

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Well, I have nothing nice to say about ANY athlete or celebrity that acts like a total jerk to fans. I despise everyday people who act that way. Which are most likely the type of people who will defend his poor actions. The fans are the driving force behind their livlihoods, without the fans the sponsors wouldn't pony up a dime in sponsorhips.

why did you feel entitled to some sort of reaction?

he takes a beating from just about everyone any time he does something wrong. we delved into his personal life and continue to judge him 4days a week both professionally, and as a person. he's not stupid. why would he ever make an effort for a group that has typically shown him nothing but disrespect?

did you say "hey tiger"? did you ask for an autograph and he just ignored you? or were you standing there and nobody said anything? maybe he walked into the clubhouse and said to phil "those kids said something to you but wouldnt even say good morning to me"

and as far as having a car pick him up....the dude literally had helicopters and that blimp CHASING him with cameras when he withdrew with that foot injury.

i think he shows us, the golf community, way more respect than we ever show him

• Upvote 1

I can't speak for Tiger or anyone else in these types of situations, but looking in from the outside, I have always said if I made it big in anything... I'd sign everything and talk to everyone possible. In the back of mind, I know there'd be days I'd just wanna do my thing and tell everyone to piss off. He apparently had a p-off day and you saw the wrong side of a professional athlete. Everyone wants a piece of them, everyone can't get it. Sorry...

Last weekend he signed and gave a glove to the guy he beaned in the back. The guy was speechless.

Tiger is by far my favorite player and would love something signed from him. However, I know he doesn't really do autographs and would never expect it. I respect that he is private and that adds a bit to his stigma. I would feel sorry for my kid but would expect it.

Driver: Taylormade R11 Aldila NV 75

4W: Taylormade R9

3/4H: Taylormade Burner 19* 22*

5-AW: Taylormade RBZ

W: Cleveland Tour Action 588 56* 60*

Putter: Callaway White Ice 2 Ball Lined

Originally Posted by MackJL06

he takes a beating from just about everyone any time he does something wrong. we delved into his personal life and continue to judge him 4days a week both professionally, and as a person. he's not stupid. why would he ever make an effort for a group that has typically shown him nothing but disrespect?

did you say "hey tiger"? did you ask for an autograph and he just ignored you? or were you standing there and nobody said anything? maybe he walked into the clubhouse and said to phil "those kids said something to you but wouldnt even say good morning to me"

and as far as having a car pick him up....the dude literally had helicopters and that blimp CHASING him with cameras when he withdrew with that foot injury.

Couldn't have said it better.

Driver: Taylormade R11 Aldila NV 75

4W: Taylormade R9

3/4H: Taylormade Burner 19* 22*

5-AW: Taylormade RBZ

W: Cleveland Tour Action 588 56* 60*

Putter: Callaway White Ice 2 Ball Lined

Much ado about nothing.

The morning before a round in a major golf tournament is some of his most valuable time. Preparation for a situation like that isn't just a matter of throwing on the golf shoes, drinking some Gatorade, and heading to the tee. Some people are naturally outgoing and seem to draw positive energy from interactions with stranger. Others are more introverted and find even idle chit-chat to be stressful. Sure, it'd be nice if he could take a few seconds to say something to every fan he passes by, but I'd bet that even on his way to the clubhouse he's thinking about his plan for the round and working on staying in the moment.

There's a reason that it's PGA Tour policy not to permit fans to ask for autographs during a competition round: it's a bigger distraction to the players than you think. It's completely reasonable to extend this to all the time prior to the round if the player so chooses. That's their time, even if they're in a public place. If they want to share it with a fan, that's their option, but they don't have any duty to do so.

• Upvote 2

In the bag:
FT-iQ 10° driver, FT 21° neutral 3H
T-Zoid Forged 15° 3W, MX-23 4-PW
Harmonized 52° GW, Tom Watson 56° SW, X-Forged Vintage 60° LW
White Hot XG #1 Putter, 33"

Wow, you might as well quit going to PGA events. Clearly, they cannot do anything to suit you. Like others have said, Tiger Woods was in the zone and he understandably cares more about staying focused than signing autographs for a few fans.

Originally Posted by MackJL06

He was the ONLY player that we saw that week that did not stop, nod or wave at some fans as they were leaving the practice area, or to and from the parking lot.

My daughter said to him very politely " good morning Tiger, good luck this week. Can I have your autograph please". we were no more that about 8-10 feet from him. As I said before, he just looked straght through her like she wasn't there and kept walking. Even a simple smile and a "not now, maybe after the round" would have been ok to me.

Driver: Taylormade R9
3 Wood: Cobra S 9-1
5 Wood: Cobra S 9-1
7 Wood: Cobra S 9-1

Irons: Taylormade r7 Custom Fit (SW-4)

Putter: Taylormade Rossa Monza Spyder

Balls: Titleist Pro V1x

Originally Posted by the19thhole

Wow!!!

I think he should be hung, drawn and quartered and one of the quarters displayed at each of the 4 majors as an example to all golfers of how not to behave to their fans. Shame on him!!!!

That's a bit harsh. He is arguably the best in the game. And every ones "feelings" on the situation will be different. He wanted Tiger's autograph so he built himself up and assumed Tiger would just do what he wished. Tiger was probably just focused on the day and meant nothing buy his actions. Remember your only hearing one side of the story.

Originally Posted by CraiginKSA

And some of the signatures wind up on eBay.

that was a huge issue with Jordan, people were getting kids to get autographs and then they'd sell them.

I think he should at least say good morning and give a smile.  I mean he's on his way to play golf for a living that has made him millions.

Originally Posted by montru

He was the ONLY player that we saw that week that did not stop, nod or wave at some fans as they were leaving the practice area, or to and from the parking lot.

My daughter said to him very politely " good morning Tiger, good luck this week. Can I have your autograph please". we were no more that about 8-10 feet from him. As I said before, he just looked straght through her like she wasn't there and kept walking. Even a simple smile and a "not now, maybe after the round" would have been ok to me.

Ok, well when I was at the US Open in 2010, on Saturday when he was a couple strokes off the lead, as he passed by the ropes where I was standing behind maybe the 14th green, I said something along the lines of, "Keep it up Tiger, you'll get 'em back." He slowed down a bit, looked me in the eye, and said, "Thanks," and continued on. That was during a round.

So if you want to draw a broad conclusion from a single interaction, that's fine, but who knows what was going on.

In the bag:
FT-iQ 10° driver, FT 21° neutral 3H
T-Zoid Forged 15° 3W, MX-23 4-PW
Harmonized 52° GW, Tom Watson 56° SW, X-Forged Vintage 60° LW
White Hot XG #1 Putter, 33"

I've got no problem with Tiger not stopping to sign autographs and what not. Thats his job and hes working. I wouldn't want someone bugging me while I was at work either.

It's a little known fact, but he treats dogs, children, and the elderly like dirt.

Kevin

Titleist 910 D3 9.5* with ahina 72 X flex
Titleist 910F 13.5* with ahina 72 X flex
Adams Idea A12 Pro hybrid 18*; 23* with RIP S flex
Titleist 712 AP2 4-9 iron with KBS C-Taper, S+ flex
Titleist Vokey SM wedges 48*, 52*, 58*
Odyssey White Hot 2-ball mallet, center shaft, 34"

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Note: This thread is 4310 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!