IGNORED

Why is it unbelievable I can drive 300+ ?

Jimbo Slice
Note: This thread is 4257 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Originally Posted by geebee

I don't disbelieve that someone can hit a ball 300 or more. I am just puzzled as to why anyone would want to say so. It's like saying  'I have a new Porsche or a solid gold Rolex'  or both.

It's information that's hard to process, I believe you, why wouldn't I, but what response do you want?  Gosh how lucky or skilful or strong you are , wish I could do that or own those ?

Since most people do not generally hit that distance I can only think big deal , so what , shall I send money?

with that thought process, I suppose we shouldn't post handicaps in here or ever start a thread celebrating a hole in one, or even an eagle. we might as well keep all discussion confined within the boundaries of mediocre golf so we don't risk having to issue unnecessary compliments.

this is a GOLF forum... its perfectly legitimate for jimbo or anyone else to mention they've hit a long ball or two...

IN MY BAG
Driver: Taylormade SLDR Mini Driver
3 Wood: Calloway RAZR Hawk
Hybrid: Ping 19*
Irons: Mizuno JPX 825
Wedges: 52, 56 Cleveland
Putter: Odyssey White Ice

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

First post on this thread "I've recently posted in a few threads mentioning I hit some 300+ yard drives. Even a 326 yarder measured with my gps. I've only been playing for 10 weeks and have a 27 handicap."

"In a few threads". !  There does seem a need to get the information out there. I repeat, I believe him, but the principal discussions here have been whether or not he can hit  300 yards. So he made the statement to provoke a talk about his honesty? Fascinating.

Air conditions and affect on ball flight came up a few times during the thread, and nobody had solid info on the actual affects. I'm not saying I have solid info by any means, but came up with some numbers that might be close.

Calm day, carry only.

The three variables that affect air conditions are relative humidity, temperature, and altitude. Relative humidity has little affect on carry distance. The difference between 10% and 90% humidity is about 2 yards on a 270 yard carry. In 10% humidity the shot carries 270, and in 90% humidity the shot carries 272.

Temperature's affect on ball flight is about 1 FOOT per degree. A shot made in 80° weather that carries 270 will carry 276.6 if it's 100° out.

Altitude will increase ball flight about 6 yards per every 1000 foot gain. A shot that carries 270 yards at sea level will carry 282 at 2000 feet elevation (Las Vegas). That same shot would carry about 301 yards at 5280 feet (Denver).

Altitude and temperature are the two main factors that will alter the carry distance. The below comparisons are between sea level and Las Vegas. Temperature is the only factor I will be changing as humidity has little affect and most likely would be higher at sea level.

Altitude: Sea level     Temperature: 60          Humidity: 10%       Carry: 267

Altitude: 2000ft          Temperature: 100        Humidity: 10%       Carry: 292

25 yard difference. Altitude affected the shot by 12 yards and temperature affected the shot by 13 yards

Altitude: Sea level     Temperature: 80          Humidity: 10%       Carry: 273

Altitude: 2000ft          Temperature: 100        Humidity: 10%       Carry: 292

19 yard difference

Altitude: Sea level     Temperature: 100        Humidity: 10%       Carry: 279

13 yard difference

Assuming its the same season, a worse case scenario would be about 40° I'm guessing. Making the biggest possible difference in carry 25 yards as shown above.

Roll is something I don't know much about, but have also came up with some numbers on it. By looking at the trackman driver fitting optimal numbers chart and reading about roll on the web, I have came up with a couple numbers. Average drive roll is 20 yards, and optimal roll is about 33 yards. These numbers could vary of course due to fairway conditions, but 20 average and 33 optimal sounds right to me.

Now to make a worse case vs best case scenario including roll...... Assuming the ball can bounce backwards after a drive like shorty said is happening to him . I'm going to give that side -5 yards roll. Also we'll say Las Vegas fairways are dry and fast giving 12 more yards then the optimal roll I came up with. That's 45 yards roll for this side.

OK, same as above but with roll added.....

Altitude: Sea level       Temperature: 60              Humidity: 10%          Carry: 267        Roll: -5           Total distance: 261

Altitude: 2000ft            Temperature: 100            Humidity: 10%          Carry: 292        Roll: 45          Total distance: 337

76 yard difference

That is a worse case scenario but the same drive could vary by as much as 76 yards counting roll, depending on what part of the country its taken in. Carry on the other hand can only be affected by 25 yards tops.

ROFL anyone agree or disagree with this.

• Informative 1

Sincerely, Jim

First post on this thread "I've recently posted in a few threads mentioning I hit some 300+ yard drives. Even a 326 yarder measured with my gps. I've only been playing for 10 weeks and have a 27 handicap."

"In a few threads". !  There does seem a need to get the information out there. I repeat, I believe him, but the principal discussions here have been whether or not he can hit  300 yards. So he made the statement to provoke a talk about his honesty? Fascinating.

It's guys like this that would make a new person like me want to just drop the forum and possibly golf all together. It's quite discouraging. . I figured the entire golf community would be a bit more understanding.

Sincerely, Jim

When all this went down I had over 100 posts, and mentioned a long ball about 3 times. Is it ok for me talk about a long ball 3% of the time? lol.

Sincerely, Jim

"It's guys like this that would make a new person like me want to just drop the forum and possibly golf all together. It's quite discouraging. z6_surrender.gif . I figured the entire golf community would be a bit more understanding."

If you are going to throw your toys out of the pram over something like this you definitely are in the wrong game. Golf will tear you to pieces if you let it. You started a thread and got some negative comments and now the whole golf community is against you and your future in the game is at risk.

It seems to me this is little like walking into your new club with a near max handicap and telling everyone at the bar how you can hit 300yarders and what  you think about that? I've been in a few golf bars and then some and the faces would be interesting.

But, as I say, I believe you. Really.

Lol, I think someone needs to read the entire thread before commenting anymore. We're in the victory lap phase here. There isn't any reason to cast any doubt Jimbo's way. Mission accomplished, he did it. He's earned his stripes.

Dave :-)

"It's guys like this that would make a new person like me want to just drop the forum and possibly golf all together. It's quite discouraging. . I figured the entire golf community would be a bit more understanding."

If you are going to throw your toys out of the pram over something like this you definitely are in the wrong game. Golf will tear you to pieces if you let it. You started a thread and got some negative comments and now the whole golf community is against you and your future in the game is at risk.

It seems to me this is little like walking into your new club with a near max handicap and telling everyone at the bar how you can hit 300yarders and what  you think about that? I've been in a few golf bars and then some and the faces would be interesting.

Man, you're way off base. Is english your second language or something?

In The Bag: - Patience - Persistence - Perseverance - Platitudes

I have gone out with a relatively small guy, who hits it regularly 270 or possibly more if he hits it perfect. His swing speed is also 115. The only way I "keep up" with him is with fairway shots. All my shots land either on the fairway or in the rough next to it. He usually has a gimme on the green. I need to pitch it an extra shot every hole. Unfortunately, this usually means a bogey for me, as it takes two putts every hole except the occasional par 3. The main issue you are having is that most people seem to not believe you can hit it 300. The math shows it is possible with a 115 swing speed. Forget trying to convince people on the Internet. Just have fun showing the people at the driving range :) Even with my slower swing speed, it's fun hitting the back fence, and calling the posts it will hit sometimes. I just joined the forum last night, and I am hoping there will be lots of people who can help my game.

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

"Man, you're way off base. Is english your second language or something?"

Why , were there words you haven't got to yet? But I've probably been a tad hard on the guy on reflection so good luck to you Jimbo. Don't give up , with that swing there is no limit to who you can hit.

Why , were there words you haven't got to yet?

No, but clearly there are posts you haven't bothered to read yet.

OAO.....

In The Bag: - Patience - Persistence - Perseverance - Platitudes

"It's guys like this that would make a new person like me want to just drop the forum and possibly golf all together. It's quite discouraging. . I figured the entire golf community would be a bit more understanding."

Yes you are correct lol, I was just talkin out my butt, trying to make you feel bad ha ha. Thanks for the nod on the achievement.

Sincerely, Jim

Why , were there words you haven't got to yet? But I've probably been a tad hard on the guy on reflection so good luck to you Jimbo. Don't give up , with that swing there is no limit to who you can hit.

this guy is way late to the party... and really should do more than read the first post of a 49 page thread before flaming out of ignorance. No need to defend yourself in this thread anymore Jimbo... Like the other Dave said... you've earned your stripes.

IN MY BAG
Driver: Taylormade SLDR Mini Driver
3 Wood: Calloway RAZR Hawk
Hybrid: Ping 19*
Irons: Mizuno JPX 825
Wedges: 52, 56 Cleveland
Putter: Odyssey White Ice

Originally Posted by sacm3bill

It's not Jim Thorpe but I know there's video out there of a pro golfer stubbing his putter into the green while trying to tap in a 1" putt. I see it every once in a while on Golf Channel's "10 worst bloopers" or something like that.

Thanks, I'll look out for it.

hehehehehehe

Driver: Cobra 460SZ 9.0, med.
3 Wood: Taylor stiff
3-hybrid: Nike 18 deg stiff
4-hybrid:
Taylor RBZ 22 deg regular
Irons:5-9, Mizuno MP30, steel
Wedges: PW, 52, 56, 60 Mizuno MP30
Putter: Odyssey 2-ball

Just a heads up, geebee, that you can click the "Quote" button between "Multi" and "Reply" near the lower right-hand side of of the post you are attempting to quote. This will make your quotes more apparent, rather than manually inserting quotations around items that you are copying/pasting.

Originally Posted by Spyder

Just a heads up, geebee, that you can click the "Quote" button between "Multi" and "Reply" near the lower right-hand side of of the post you are attempting to quote. This will make your quotes more apparent, rather than manually inserting quotations around items that you are copying/pasting.

Stop Spyder, or geebee will turn off his computer and quit "smart ass golf forum comments" as a sport all together. lol

DRIVER: - 910 D3  8.5° / blk Ops stiff shaft

3 Wood:  -  913 Fd  15°

HYBRID:- :ping: -  G25 3H 20°

IRONS:  - 712 AP2, 4-7 : 714 CB - 8-PW

WEDGES - - Vokeys SM4 - 52°-GW, 56°-SW, 60°-Lob

BALLS:  :bridgestone: B330-RX

PUTTER: -  - Scotty Cameron Newport 2.0

Note: This thread is 4257 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!