IGNORED

Why is it unbelievable I can drive 300+ ?

Jimbo Slice
Note: This thread is 4244 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Originally Posted by Jimbo Slice

Been golfing for 10 weeks now, and I posted a conservative swing 6 weeks back, and that is now somehow proof that it was my fastest swing speed possible. This is just not true, I was barley swinging at the ball that you guys are talking about. It wasn't even a real ball, it was a plastic ball in my back yard. I went out set up the camera and took one swing and posted it. The swing I posted a few days later was a bit quicker ss and it was also a conservative swing. I tried to belt a few there but kept slicing badly, so backed off a little  and got one in that I could post.

I still don't even get how you think I'm only driving 220 ROFL. Like I said I can hit my 4 iron 220, and I can hit it 200+ probably two out of three swings. The first time I ever swung at golf balls was 11 weeks ago at the driving range the day after I bought my driver. I hit multiple 250 yard drives that day, maybe 10 out of a 240 balls.

Thats pretty much awesome. When you figure out how to carve all this awesomeness into a score better than +100 strokes you will earn respect. You are catching flak because you don't understand the game. There are folks here that a hit 4i 250+. They aint bragging about it.

• Booooooooo 1

Dave :-)

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

That particular swing I would not even put an estimated SS on it when I posted it. It was an easier swing I took in the back yard with practice ball. I would for sure say your estimate of 90mph is very close. Ill get a new swing up soon and Hit up the trackman you linked for me, all should be settled sooner then later.

The swing with my back to the camera was a bit faster, and I'm swinging much faster now and with better technique. Accuracy is also Improving even though I've been adding more swing speed.

You're serious? You do realize that you are basically admitting, with this post, that you are lying or just delusional?  A 90MPH swing speed clearly makes it damn near physically impossible to hit over 270, let alone 300.

Shorty is spot on, if you look at most people who have a 85-90 MPH swing speed, they normally hit about 220-240 on average.

Originally Posted by Dave2512

Thats pretty much awesome. When you figure out how to carve all this awesomeness into a score better than +100 strokes you will earn respect. You are catching flak because you don't understand the game. There are folks here that a hit 4i 250+. They aint bragging about it.

250 may be pushing it....that's like Tiger Woods distance on a 4 iron....

Could you imagine that....250 WITH A 4 IRON?!?! That like a 15 or 17 degree hybrid for me lol

Originally Posted by Shorty

Even I am over this, but I'll have one last swing at it.

The only interesting thing is how iacas made the Pi symbol.

The OP doesn't seem to understand that his claims are not backed up by physics and I'm reasonably sure that Iacas made a case that should give the OP pause for thought. Predicatbly, it didn't.

I just came back from playing in the mud. I spent the round checking where 270 yards carry was and mentioned to a coupolke of my partners the thread I was reading this morning. Both these guys are big hitters and noone got close to 300 yards today with zero roll. When you are paying on a golf course, nota dri hard, rocky surface, 300 yards is a long way.

In any case, someone who hits the ball that far has bigger fish to fry when the rest of his game is clearly so abysmal.

What gives me the shits is that someone comes on here after playing golf for 10 weeks and thinks that he is making sense to someone like me who, seriously, has pretty much seen it all in 40+ years of golf.

I have seen a lot of young guys with modern gear who DO hit the ball 300 on occasion and some who consistently hit it 270 or 280. And they are plus handicappers.

In any case, the 326 would be the one where a pro hits is 390 under the ridiculously advantageous conditions he's playing under, so that would make the 300 bombs Jimbo is hitting 220.

Jimbo - Iacas was saying to you that your swing speed is most likely in the low 80s range which makes your claims a physical impossibility in real world conditions.

Weren't you aware? The course he plays at simulates the exact conditions of being in a vacuum. You only have to have a 10 MPH swing to hit the ball 3000 yards....its nuts.

Four 5 Stand Bag Blue   PRO V1X

910 D2 9.5° - Diamana Kal'li 65g S

RBZ Stage 2 15° - Diamana Kal'li 72g S  

913H 21° /  910H 24° - Diamana Kal'li 82g S

710 AP2 6-PW - Dynamic Gold S300SL

Vokey Spin Milled 09  56° &  60° 

#1 White Hot 34" - Ionic Grip

My Swing  

Why is it unbelievable I can drive 300+?

Short answer = Because 8.5/10 people who say that they can, are actually closer to 265 (being generous).

Otherwise, I have seen 18+ handicapper's hit 300 yard drives.  My brother in law kicks his leg like a baseball swing...9/10 of his drives are OB, topped, sky'd, etc.  But the rare ball that he catches that stays in play , goes literally 280-310 yards.  It's quite upsetting to see really lol...until his next shot that he chunks 10 yards and jams his wrists, etc.

But seriously, no-one really cares.  Unless you prove it, arguing on a forum where tons of people make the same claim and get the same replies is useless and good bait for some beauty feedback/comments.

OP has the tr0ll skillz in check

I've recently posted in a few threads mentioning I hit some 300+ yard drives. Even a 326 yarder measured with my gps. I've only been playing for 10 weeks and have a 27 handicap. I've been called a few names and would like to continue any conversations/debates with doubters or believers in this thread, instead of continuing in the other ones.

Any input good or bad is very welcome. Cheers

I don't doubt that you've hit some drives that traveled 300 yards.  However, you have to understand that there's a difference between having a swing that is capable of producing a 300 yard drive versus playing in conditions that result in a 300 yard drive.  IMO, after viewing your swing, the 300 yard drives you hit were because of the latter.

I'll give you an example of what I mean.  My average good drive is about 275.  However, if I consider all my drives, that average drops to about 250.  As such, I do not possess a swing that is capable of producing 300 yard drives yet, today, I got one.  And, here's the crazy thing about it; it happened with my 3 wood.  It was on a 429 yard par 4 that was downhill and downwind.  With 20 mph winds--just a guesstimate--at my back, a fairway that's been baked from the triple-digit temps earlier this week, and a little bit of science; it was the "perfect storm" of conditions.  As a note, the science part of the equation was an experiment.  I remember reading a post from Iacas stating that when there's a tailwind, you lose lift.  In order to "ride the wind" to gain distance, you want to hit a shot with a higher launch angle combined with greater spin.  Hence, I decided to try my 3w instead of the driver to see what would happen.  Now, I couldn't tell you how much each element (wind, downhill slope, fairway firmness, higher launch angle/increased spin) contributed, but one thing is for sure; my swing did not yield a 300 yard drive, the conditions did.

All in all, I understand your desire to be recognized for hitting those 300 yarders.  It's one of the emotional needs that many people need fulfilled; the emotional need for status and/or the emotional need for accomplishment/competency.  How strong is the desire to have these emotional needs fulfilled as it pertains to golf?  So much so that people will cite their "average" distance based only on their absolute best shot(s) and/or shave strokes in order to claim a low(er) score.  FWIW, forget trying to convince people that you hit 300 yard drives.  It's a losing proposition for you.  Invest your time in becoming a better golfer.  Above all else, have fun.  At the end of the day, if you're having fun, you've already "won" at golf and nobody can take that away from you.

:titleist: :scotty_cameron:
915D3 / 712 AP2 / SC Mont 1.5

Like I said I can hit my 4 iron 220, and I can hit it 200+ probably two out of three swings. The first time I ever swung at golf balls was 11 weeks ago at the driving range the day after I bought my driver. I hit multiple 250 yard drives that day, maybe 10 out of a 240 balls.

No, you can't.  And if your swing has improved ten-fold (highly unlikely) from the video(s) you've already uploaded, then you need to post more videos.  I don't think you comprehend just how bold these claims are that you're making.

Originally Posted by Tomboys

I don't doubt that you've hit some drives that traveled 300 yards.

I do.  And just to be clear, he doesn't seem like a boastful liar, he just seems like a new golfer who isn't aware of what these numbers really mean.  And IF he has somehow progressed from green golfer to ball-crusher in the matter of 10 weeks or whatever, video of his swing will show it.  And as a matter of fact, I'll be in Vegas in about 6 weeks and am actively looking to get in a round of golf.  I wouldn't mind trying to verify this.  I will gladly apologize if I'm wrong.

Brandon a.k.a. Tony Stark

-------------------------

The Fastest Flip in the West

To me, the only thing that matter's is clubhead speed, from there its all contact.

But that's pretty much impossible to measure with out the use of high speed camera (as Erik shown), or something like Trakman.

But if you want to find out, GPS works on the golf course, they usually have a distance function on them. Just find a golf hole were the tee isn't to elevated, the hole is pretty flat, and go on a day were the wind is pretty calm.

Also note that 300 in vegas is not 300 on the coast, elevation has a huge difference. So on a thread like this were people throw around claims, or ask for distances, you got to look at location alot to.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

This whole thread is so ridiculous lol

I was on a launch monitor yesterday and I was getting club head speed around 100 each swing and I was getting 260 carry MAX. This is in Eugene, where the balls don't fly quite as far, with range balls, but still. To say you hit 270-300 is just begging for attention.

• Administrator

Like I said I can hit my 4 iron 220, and I can hit it 200+ probably two out of three swings. The first time I ever swung at golf balls was 11 weeks ago at the driving range the day after I bought my driver. I hit multiple 250 yard drives that day, maybe 10 out of a 240 balls.

I doubt most of that. While you're visiting with Jeffry, get your 4-iron on Trackman as well. Just film the Trackman screen and you swinging so we can see that it's not edited. A photo of the computer screen after another customer hits a driver or 4-iron won't really prove it (plus as I know Jeff I can just ask him).

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

I doubt most of that. While you're visiting with Jeffry, get your 4-iron on Trackman as well. Just film the Trackman screen and you swinging so we can see that it's not edited. A photo of the computer screen after another customer hits a driver or 4-iron won't really prove it (plus as I know Jeff I can just ask him).

Judgment day awaits....lol

Originally Posted by bplewis24

………….. I don't think you comprehend just how bold these claims are that you're making.

The above statement is how I feel.  I have been around golf for a large portion my life, and have played for about 15 (non-consecutive) years.  Granted, I've been away from the game for a few years, and have only recently got back into the swing of things.

I've often heard claims similar to the OP (saying he can drive 300'ish [yds] over & over again), but have only seen it a couple of times.  Also, there's a huge difference between hitting 300 yds in the desired direction vs. hitting 300 yds in " some " direction, respectfully.  I'm a newbie to the SandTrap, but can say with fair certainty that all of us here would much rather take a tee shot 215 yds in the desired direction, rather than 310 yds in an "unknown route"/divergence.

To the OP:  I hope your drives really are 300+ yds.  Moreover, I hope your drives consistently travel in the direction you desire.

The title of your thread is " Why is it unbelievable I can drive 300+ "

The reason lies in the responses you've received; and in that claiming you can drive it  300+ yds,, I infer that you [imply that you] can do it consistently, and in desired direction.

Maybe it's because I'm new here, but it seems to me that you've deliberately opened this 'can of worms' on yourself.  Your claim of distance simply invites people to question you.  Since you're new to the game, I guess you do not realize how unique it would be for you to:

1.) be new to the game of golf (and)

2.) drive it 300+ yds.

a) consistently

b) in desired direction

c) with a swing similar to what you posted in video

The above is what makes me agree w/ bplewis24.

I don't think it's bold or unreasonable as much as it demostrates a flawed sense of accomplishment. In addition to making the claim he admitted to not having control of his ball flight. Anybody can get up and take a hard whack at it and spray balls all over the course. IMO it makes no sense to concentrate energy trying to hit it big if that's the result. What's unbelievable to me is why he thinks being able to do that is a good thing.

Dave :-)

I care about it slightly. I just started golfing, and enjoy it tremendously. I'm also very proud of my achievements and enjoy sharing them with people on the forum and my personal friends. It's also something I naturally react to if someone doubts me, and think it's slightly interesting to debate it here. I could be wrong haha. I just didn't want to keep bogging down those other posts.

Hitting a ball 300 yards is meaningless.  Hitting it in the right direction is priceless. I don't doubt that with the help of modern equipment, you may sometimes hit a 300 yard drive.  Hell, I can do it occasionally when the planets are in proper alignment, and I'm 65 years old.  I had a GPS measured drive last year at 321 yards, downwind but on the level, no hill to help out.  My average is about 235-245.

I've played with lots of guys who can hit the ball a ton, but haven't a clue where it's going to end up.  The farther you hit the ball, the straighter you have to be to stay out of trouble.  Even Tiger struggles to control his driver, so I'm not going to lose any sleep because I rarely hit longer than 250 yards.

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

Am I the only one that finds the 220 yard 4 iron harder to believe?

-Matt-

"does it still count as a hit fairway if it is the next one over"

DRIVER-Callaway FTiz__3 WOOD-Nike SQ Dymo 15__HYBRIDS-3,4,5 Adams__IRONS-6-PW Adams__WEDGES-50,55,60 Wilson Harmonized__PUTTER-Odyssey Dual Force Rossie II

Originally Posted by 14ledo81

I think that what we're finding hard to believe is that this guy thinks he can hit this distance and doesn't understand that in certain conditions at a certain place this is his result.

He doesn't get that he could go to 99% of courses - ones that actually have grass on them - and  see a par three of 220 yards, pull out his four iron, hit it perfectly and have 60 yards for his second shot.

In the race of life, always back self-interest. At least you know it's trying.

Originally Posted by 14ledo81

In general or for the OP? A 220 yard 4-iron is much more common, especially with tricked out SGI irons.

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

Note: This thread is 4244 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!