IGNORED

Why is it unbelievable I can drive 300+ ?

Jimbo Slice
Note: This thread is 4256 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

• Administrator
Originally Posted by saevel25

Relative humidity is the percent of moisture in the air for that given temperature relative to the maximum amount of moisture the air can hold at that temperature. So a lower relative humidity, given the same temperature would mean a drier and less dense air.

Which i would think would be easier to drive the ball in.

Originally Posted by sean_miller

That sounds all sciency and stuff but I think it's bass ackwards - tha ball flies farther in more humid air at the same temperature and pressure. It just does and no I don't have any math behind my 25+ years of observations other than things like 295 > 275.

Sean's right. I know we've had threads on this in the past.

Higher humidity = less dense "air" and thus longer driving distances.

It goes to the ideal gas laws and the fact that one mol of any gas will occupy 22.4 liters of space at STP, and water (H2O ~ 18) has a molecular weight that's lower than N2 (~28) and O2 (~32). Thus less dense.

Water vapor is not water liquid (i.e. rain). Liquid water doesn't obey the ideal GAS law. :)

P.S. Oops. Late to the party. That's what I get for opening a thread and not posting to it for a long time.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I hit a 310 and 320 yard drive tonight..... Just sayin....

It was pretty humid too......

"My ball is on top of a rock in the hazard, do I get some sort of relief?"

Originally Posted by onesome

Just to clarify this, what does the OP have to actually accomplish? Does he have to consistently hit the ball all carry 300+ our just reach it carry and roll? Or does he just have to carry 300+ once or carry and roll just once? Or imo I think he has to show some level of consistently to hit it at our near 300+ with no editing.

I don't think any of those things are really provable during an actual round of golf for the forum's purposes.  Therefore, all he would really need to do is produce some Trackman results that show a swing speed and ball speed that shows the potential to at least carry the ball around 270-280.  IMO, 50% of the time would be more than enough.  25% of the time would probably do it for me.

Originally Posted by tiger187126

i think the whole 300 carry was put in his mouth by other posters here. i don't think he ever claimed 300 all carry, i think he just said he hit some drives that have gone 300. it's been hard to follow but there have been a lot of claims he never made being tacked on.

I don't recall 300 yard carry ever.  I do recall claims of consistently carrying the 4 iron 200+ and the driver (on the range, over a fence) 270.

Regarding the humidity issue, one thing that doesn't account for is the firmness of the landing surface.  At least FOR ME here in Sacramento CA, when the air is hot and dry (and not humid), the ball goes further than at any other time.  If, by point of fact, it isn't carrying further (as you guys are suggesting), then it must be the dry, firm ground which is allowing it to roll out further.  But when it's cool an moist and humid out here, the ball doesn't go as far for me.

Brandon a.k.a. Tony Stark

-------------------------

The Fastest Flip in the West

Originally Posted by Shorty

The mere fact that people say they "hit it 300" says they know little about the game. Of course millions can in certain conditions. I can, but rarely do. BUt at your course maybe I would do it regularly. So what?

On what course are these people talking about? On what grass? On what sort of fairways? At what elevation?

I can guarantee that the 300 bomber on concrete-like fairways at elevation isn't hitting it 240 at my soft course ATM, with drives bouncing backwards.

Holes that I have hit wedge into in the past are now unreachable with drive and fairway wood.

Agreed, I know little about golf, as I just started. I didn't know it was such a bad thing to mentioning an a achievement that you where proud of on a golf forum. Maybe if it took me longer to hit one, I would have learned in that time that it's not cool to mention it to others ROFL.

I'm not disagreeing with what shorty is saying here. I just have a few question about this post though. Is shorty serious or just exaggerating on the yardages.

1. Can a ball really bounce backwards on the fairway after a driver tee shot, no matter what the conditions? I'm guessing it can stick or not roll/bounce at all, but bounce backwards?

2. If someone hits a good shot on a flat hole no wind (in my conditions) lets say it carries 275 rolls 25 for a total of 300. Could air temp, humidity, and altitude, take 35 yards off the carry in Shorties conditions (no wind flat holes)? No need to factor in fairway conditions because these balls are stopping dead or if shorty isn't BSin they could be bouncing backwards.

3. Can favorable air condition vs non favorable air conditions vary driver ball carry by as much as 35 yards. Fairways dont matter, just talking carry? pretty much the same question as above.

Sincerely, Jim

• Administrator
Originally Posted by Jimbo Slice

1. Can a ball really bounce backwards on the fairway after a driver tee shot, no matter what the conditions? I'm guessing it can stick or not roll/bounce at all, but bounce backwards?

Yes. It can land (at an angle), plug, and bounce out of the little plug backwards.

I once saw a guy top a ball off the tee, drive the ball right into the ground, and pop it out backwards a yard or two. Then he topped his second shot and the same thing happened. He was hitting his third shot from the rough on the back of the tee box having gone backwards three or four yards total with his first two swings. :P

Originally Posted by Jimbo Slice

2. If someone hits a good shot on a flat hole no wind (in my conditions) lets say it carries 275 rolls 25 for a total of 300. Could air temp, humidity, and altitude, take 35 yards off the carry in Shorties conditions (no wind flat holes)? No need to factor in fairway conditions because these balls are stopping dead or if shorty isn't BSin they could be bouncing backwards.

35 yards (>10%) is a lot to subtract with air temp, humidity, and altitude. Possible, though.

Originally Posted by Jimbo Slice

3. Can favorable air condition vs non favorable air conditions vary driver ball carry by as much as 35 yards. Fairways dont matter, just talking carry? pretty much the same question as above.

Isn't this the same as #2?

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Originally Posted by bplewis24

I do recall claims of consistently carrying the 4 iron 200+ and the driver (on the range, over a fence) 270.

All I said is that I have hit my 4 iron 211+ before. There is a 211 par 3 on my course and I have over shot the green multiple times. The back tees do vary day to day by 10 to 15 yards at times, but the shortest the hole ever plays is about 195. The next club in my bag would be the 3 rescue and I have never used this club on this hole because I have overshot it with my 4 iron maybe 3 or 4 times out of the about 25 times Ive played the hole. I never said anything about being able to do it consistently but I would have to say it much easier then a 270 carry.

I also never said I consistently hit over the 260 yard fence 270 carry. I just said I have bombed some out there, maybe 5-10 out of 120 ball bucket.

How are any of those statements saying I do it consistently?

Sincerely, Jim

Jimbo. Good luck with the session.  I don't doubt that you can hit the occasional drive 300 yards, and if it goes the right direction, so much the better.

By the way, I've had a couple of bouts with gout in my right big toe, and it's one of the most painful experiences I've ever had.  It rivals the time I got stung by a Portuguese Man-o-war jellyfish... only the gout lasts a lot longer.

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

Originally Posted by Fourputt

Jimbo. Good luck with the session.  I don't doubt that you can hit the occasional drive 300 yards, and if it goes the right direction, so much the better.

By the way, I've had a couple of bouts with gout in my right big toe, and it's one of the most painful experiences I've ever had.  It rivals the time I got stung by a Portuguese Man-o-war jellyfish... only the gout lasts a lot longer.

Originally Posted by Bob Smith

Jimbo good luck, have been following this thread for a while can not wait to see the results.

Thanks for the luck but I'm positive I'm not going to need. Not because I know I'm going to hit a 300 yard drive on the trackman, because I don't. If for some odd reason trackman says I didn't a 300 yard drive, it proves nothing. What does prove something is a properly measured drive with gps accuracy in real life conditions, which I have done many times.

I'm not sure if the conditions can be changed on the trackman software but I'm almost positive they can be. If at possible but it might be asking to much, I would like the guy to put some favorable setting on it, something like I would see out here in Vegas. Then some unfavorable setting , something that I might see where shorty golfs lol. That way we could see the differences in the two. If I can only hit average setting or what ever is Q'ed up in the software at the moment then I'll just hit that.

It seems like allot of people want some long and consistent results from me at trackman. I never said I could put long numbers with great accuracy. As long as I hit one 300 yard yard drive on it, that should be good enough, just for the purpose of this post.

Sincerely, Jim

How are any of those statements saying I do it consistently?

I'll have to search for the posts when I have more time.  A quick search shows you said you carry 200+ 2 out of 3 times with your 4 iron and sometimes 220, which sounds about like what you just said in your last post.  I think the original post was deleted, because the link back to it doesn't do anything for me when I click it.

http://thesandtrap.com/t/60345/why-is-it-unbelievable-i-can-drive-300/126#post_741964

Nevertheless, it's immaterial.  A 200 yard 4 iron isn't unreasonable and neither is 220, depending on club loft/type and course conditions.  But I believe your swing would have had to have improved significantly from the videos that were posted.

That is a cop out. Trackman will show us several things that will let us determine whether it's likely that you hit it 300+ even on a semi regular basis as you claimed. I do not care what ends up happening but I am a little interested in the results Be a man of integrity and post them whatever they say please.[quote name="Jimbo Slice" url="/t/60345/why-is-it-unbelievable-i-can-drive-300/738#post_757767"] Thanks for the luck but I'm positive I'm not going to need. Not because I know I'm going to hit a 300 yard drive on the trackman, because I don't. [b]If for some odd reason trackman says I didn't a 300 yard drive, it proves nothing.[/b] What does prove something is a properly measured drive with gps accuracy in real life conditions, which I have done many times. [/quote]

"The expert golfer has maximum time to make minimal compensations. The poorer player has minimal time to make maximum compensations." - And no, I'm not Mac. Please do not PM me about it. I just think he is a crazy MFer and we could all use a little more crazy sometimes.

• Administrator

I think the original post was deleted, because the link back to it doesn't do anything for me when I click it.

Yeah, a few posts surrounding my "math error" were removed (by me) so there was no confusion about the math error.

Originally Posted by LovinItAll

FWIW, this is bullshit. I live in Vegas and have played golf all around the world, and while I'm sure there are some courses with rock hard fairways where the ball will roll forever (that doesnt include the nice courses that water heavily daily), at 2000 ft. above sea level, the ball MAY carry an extra 3-4%. That's maybe ten yards on a drive that carries 250.

So considering that the hole was dead straight, unless you're driving it 300+ and hit 8i another 180-190, you either were downhill, downwind, playing on asphalt, or the yardages were wrong.

I read this all the time in these forums: "Wanna drive it 300? Move to Vegas!". That's a crock.

Idk what you want me to tell you man. Hole 4 at badlands, desperado course. I didnt feel any wind when playing it. Was it blowing I dont even know. If there was a breeze it wasnt enough for me to rip up grass and throw it up. If it played down hill I couldnt tell. Sure wasnt an elavated tee box though.

If my natural compass is correct and I beleive it is number 4 is facing the same direction as diablos hole 9 and that was definitely playing into the wind after it had kicked up a little more.

I am sure I will catch gripe for this too but I then hit a pitching wedge from right next to the 155 marker and landed on the back of the green. My usual distance is 135. Im not trying to brag, I feel like this is typical and plenty more normal for people to understand and I am just saying distances changed more in vegas than I would have expected and I understand him saying that he can hit that.

I know this is going to be IMPOSSIBLE to believe but I hit the OCCASIONAL 290 300 yard drive here in orange county at sea level. so Idk what that equates to. I truthfully didnt think I hit it that hard off the tee and didnt check since I thought with how hard my friend hit it he was gonna be past me so I didnt wanna give him any number and I was just happy to be in the fairway after bogie double double.

For what its worth I landed about 7 feet on the green and rolled back off the green about a foot. My buddy was about 6 feet past the pin, was about 7 yards behind me and hit 7 irons. We usually have pretty comprable distances so I thought 8 iron was the right club and truthfully I THINK I remember saying I feel like that got caught up in the wind because I was playing the "high draw" shot mac was giving advice about in a different thread.

Maybe because I was playing a prov1x and it is the best ball on tour with the Most distance.

I dont know hwo short you hit it or why you are getting so mad about this dude. Next time Im in vegas me you and jimbo can go play a round if you would like.

Bag: Ogio Ozone XX

Driver: :titleist: 910 D2 (Project X 7A3)

3 Wood: :titleist: 910F ;(Mitsubishi Rayon Diamana 'ahina 82)

Hybrid: :titleist: 909H 19* (Diamana Blue)

Irons: :titleist: 755 3-P (Tri Spec Stiff Flex Steel)

Wedges: :titleist: (Vokey 52* 56* 60*)

Putter: Ping Karsten Anser 2

Balls: :titleist: Nxt tour/ Prov1x

I'll have to search for the posts when I have more time.  A quick search shows you said you carry 200+ 2 out of 3 times with your 4 iron and sometimes 220, which sounds about like what you just said in your last post.  I think the original post was deleted, because the link back to it doesn't do anything for me when I click it.

http://thesandtrap.com/t/60345/why-is-it-unbelievable-i-can-drive-300/126#post_741964

Nevertheless, it's immaterial.  A 200 yard 4 iron isn't unreasonable and neither is 220, depending on club loft/type and course conditions.  But I believe your swing would have had to have improved significantly from the videos that were posted.

I think this is a good post for you then. All the statements I made a dead accurate and no exaggeration at all. If you really think the second swing posted can't produce those numbers, then you you are inaccurate on judging distances from swing videos. My swing can help put things in perspective because all my numbers are correct. If you don't believe me then thats your bad, keep on misjudging swings over the internet. Or use my videos to help yourself be more accurate in judging swings and stop cutting people short.

Sincerely, Jim

I think this is a good post for you then. All the statements I made a dead accurate and no exaggeration at all. If you really think the second swing posted can't produce those numbers, then you you are inaccurate on judging distances from swing videos. My swing can help put things in perspective because all my numbers are correct. If you don't believe me then thats your bad, keep on misjudging swings over the internet. Or use my videos to help yourself be more accurate in judging swings and stop cutting people short.

Lol, okay dude. Whatever helps you sleep at night.  But if you're going to have that attitude, don't complain about how you are treated by the forumers who disbelieve you.

Anyway, regarding Trackman, I believe it only tells carry distance, correct?  Not carry + roll?

Lol, okay dude.  Whatever helps you sleep at night.  But if you're going to have that attitude, don't complain about how you are treated by the forumers who disbelieve you.

Anyway, regarding Trackman, I believe it only tells carry distance, correct?  Not carry + roll?

My bad if there was a little attitude on the end there, but what I'm saying is true, and I was just trying to help you out. Maybe you should really take what I'm saying into consideration.

Sincerely, Jim

I'm done with the discussion.  I'll just wait for the Trackman results.

Note: This thread is 4256 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!