IGNORED

Anyone Here Play Disc Golf?

iacas

This seems somewhat familiar.  Driving accuracy in DG is essentially the same as GIR, since most holes are par 3 holes.

https://allthingsdiscgolf.com/disc-golf-metrix-drive-for-show-drive-for-dough/

Nate

:tmade:(11.5) :touredge:(2H) MIURA MB-101(3-PW) :mizuno:(52/56/60)

:odyssey: :snell: 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• Administrator
2 hours ago, cipher said:

This seems somewhat familiar.  Driving accuracy in DG is essentially the same as GIR, since most holes are par 3 holes.

https://allthingsdiscgolf.com/disc-golf-metrix-drive-for-show-drive-for-dough/

Yup. Backs up what I would have thought playing, too. As in golf, everyone can make five, ten, fifteen foot putts. Not everyone can throw a disc 330 feet and have it stop within 15 feet of the basket, though.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

• 3 months later...

A course I have been wanting to play.  I may have to make the trip up there soon.  It is just a couple hours from me.

Nate

• 3 weeks later...

Playing in a B tier tournament this Sunday.  I will play two rounds and I will be very happy if I can manage to score a 900 rated round for one of them.

Nate

• Administrator
12 hours ago, cipher said:

Playing in a B tier tournament this Sunday.  I will play two rounds and I will be very happy if I can manage to score a 900 rated round for one of them.

Slow is smooth. Smooth is fast.

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

• 2 weeks later...

We played this as kids in my neighborhood, going up and down the dead-end road, through front yards, back yards, pools...you name it.  My buddies and I honestly (see: naively) thought we invented the game!  We used to pick out trees and mailboxes as "holes" and hit golf balls, until neighbors started to complain about houses being hit too often.  So, we just grabbed some frisbees instead and kept going.

Have never played true disc golf, but seems like a blast and will have to look for some courses to try up here in New England.  

- Bill

• Administrator
4 hours ago, Let it Fly said:

Have never played true disc golf, but seems like a blast and will have to look for some courses to try up here in New England.  

I bet you'll love it. Start small… a putter, and a mid. SLOWLY advance from there.

• 3 months later...
  • Administrator

Got some special blend Wizards (blue, white), some RFFs (top right), some Erasers (middle left), and a "training" 290g Wizard (bottom pink).

I like the training Wizard. Too bad that's not a legal weight. If it was everyone would use those heavy bastards.

2016-11-18 13.48.35.jpg

My sons were into this for a short time and they left their discs here when they moved out. There's even a course 1 block from my house at the high school. I used to be ok throwing "frisbees" back in the 70's, but these golf discs are not the same. There's a slightly different technique needed.

Anyway, the game does sound like fun. Unfortunately, there'd be something "just not right" about an old guy hanging out by himself at the high school playing disc golf. Seems like it would be easy to set up a partial or makeshift course here on my property, though.

Jon

• Administrator
49 minutes ago, JonMA1 said:

Anyway, the game does sound like fun. Unfortunately, there'd be something "just not right" about an old guy hanging out by himself at the high school playing disc golf. Seems like it would be easy to set up a partial or makeshift course here on my property, though.

Not really. Nothing wrong with that. They'd see what you're doing.

• Administrator

That's cool and all… but I wonder about the amount of time to set up a new "hole" or two…

On 11/19/2016 at 3:58 PM, JonMA1 said:

Seems like it would be easy to set up a partial or makeshift course here on my property, though.

Some disc golf courses don't use baskets but poles that make a loud noise when hit.  Pretty easy to replicate that by hanging a piece of neon orange ribbon off a tree and making that the target.  Downside is that if you can't see the tree (e.g., because you're behind another one) you don't know if you "holed out" or not unless you have a spotter.

On 11/19/2016 at 3:58 PM, JonMA1 said:

Unfortunately, there'd be something "just not right" about an old guy hanging out by himself at the high school playing disc golf.

We had a course in Ithaca that was in the field/woods around an elementary school; no one called the cops on me. :)

"No man goes round boasting of his vices,” he said, “except golfers." 

-- Det. Elk in The Twister by Edgar Wallace

• Administrator
38 minutes ago, krupa said:

Some disc golf courses don't use baskets but poles that make a loud noise when hit.  Pretty easy to replicate that by hanging a piece of neon orange ribbon off a tree and making that the target.  Downside is that if you can't see the tree (e.g., because you're behind another one) you don't know if you "holed out" or not unless you have a spotter.

How many "pole" courses exist these days, anyway? There can't be too many…

I filmed some throws yesterday and @cipher and I are looking to begin a winter training program with an instructor. We're doing our own online lessons. ;-)

I'm getting some 280-290g Wizards. They are listed as "training weight" because they should not be > 174g to be legal, but I'm interested to see if this actually works or is counterproductive.

6 minutes ago, iacas said:

How many "pole" courses exist these days, anyway? There can't be too many…

Absolutely no idea.  I agree it's probably not too many.  I was just mentioning them as a valid home-course alternative.

7 minutes ago, iacas said:

I filmed some throws yesterday and @cipher and I are looking to begin a winter training program with an instructor. We're doing our own online lessons

You're way more serious about it than I ever was.  Unfortunately, I throw discs/frisbees left-handed so the arm injury that is keeping me from swinging a club also prevents me from playing disc golf.  (I can barely play pool which is my "i'm more serious about it than most people" sport.)

"No man goes round boasting of his vices,” he said, “except golfers." 

-- Det. Elk in The Twister by Edgar Wallace

2 hours ago, iacas said:

I filmed some throws yesterday and @cipher and I are looking to begin a winter training program with an instructor. We're doing our own online lessons. ;-)

I'm getting some 280-290g Wizards. They are listed as "training weight" because they should not be > 174g to be legal, but I'm interested to see if this actually works or is counterproductive.

Hehe, should be a lot of fun.  Definitely interested to hear about the training putters as well.

Nate

• Administrator

Also, I got one of these (two, one is a present for my brother-in-law for Christmas) the other day:

http://mvpdiscsports.com/mvp-black-hole-disc-golf-basket-series/#Micro

I love it! It's so well made and will be great fun.

• Administrator

That video will make you want to play a little, eh?

• Upvote 1