IGNORED

Animals on the golf course.

Valleygolfer
Note: This thread is 4286 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Without wanting to reinforce the the stereotype (I'm an aussie) have played many rounds with Kangaroos on the course.... even had a couple "being intimate" next to the tee box on a par 3....

Other than that, few snakes (both dead and alive)....

I haven't seen it but I read that there is a course with Bull Sharks in the water hazards up north.....

"Let the bears pay the bear tax I pay the Homer tax!"

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was not there, but appparently while finishing up a late twilight round on a warm night, my brother and his friend found a young human couple of teenagers going at it like animals in a sand bunker. They apparently never stopped either.

In the Ogio Kingpin bag:

Titleist 913 D2 9.5* w/ UST Mamiya ATTAS 3 80 w/ Harrison Shotmaker & Billy Bobs afternarket Hosel Adaptor (get this if you don't have it for your 913)
Wilson Staff Ci-11 4-GW (4I is out of the bag for a hybrid, PW and up were replaced by Edel Wedges)
TaylorMade RBZ 5 & 3 Fairway Woods

Cobra Baffler T-Rail 3 & 4 Hybrids

Edel Forged 48, 52, 56, 60, and 64* wedges (different wedges for different courses)

Seemore Si-4 Black Nickel Putter

At my driving range, a family of foxes (skulk) seem to have moved in just short of the 150 marker.  This pic was taken within the hour, as I went out to try and keep my swing in check and exercise the muscles.  It was fun hitting some shots out around them, just to see them chase after the ball.  Very playful critters.  It's quite common for them to be in and around our small community, but this is the first time I ever had a chance to "play" with one!  Mom kept a watchful eye while the two kits ran after balls, lol.  I didn't realize my smartphone camera was set to a lower resolution, so the pic isn't the best.

On this one course we were on they had a border collie that would chase the geese off the course. He showed up at the first hole and hung out with us the whole round. He never got in the way, did his business in the woods and was a complete gentleman, until he goes tearing into the water to scare off the geese. That was quite entertaining to watch.

"Golf is a day spent in a round of strenuous idleness."
William Wordsworth

Gear:
Callaway FT-S Driver Nike VR Blades/wedges TM Ghøst Putter.

I once encountered a chicken on the tee on the back 9 at Key Biscayne.  (For those who don't know, Key Biscayne is an island off of the coast of Miami, just south of the island of Miami Beach, and North of the beginning of the Florida Keys).  But, this was no ordinary chicken.  This was the fanciest looking chicken I've ever seen.  I'm guessing it was an escaped fighting cock.  It had colors and crests all over the place.  Fortunately, it was minding its own business and wasn't interfering with our tee offs.  I don't think I owned a digital camera or camera phone at the time.

On another occasion, I was walking the course by myself at Mel Reese looking for my ball after a wayward drive, where a big racoon was standing in my path between me and where I though my ball had gone.  Of course, I wasn't going to let some racoon make me walk around, I was going to make him get out of the way.  As I got closer, he raised up on his hind legs in a menacing manner, right in my path to my ball.  Now it was personal.  I was determined to impose my dominance over this racoon.  Although I was somewhat uncertain on the inside, with my golf back on my back, I leaned forward and hastened my stride as I got closer to the racoon.  He didn't budge, and I didn't slow down.  Finally, without missing a stride, I pulled out a long iron and as I got to withing about 10 feet, pounded it on the ground in front of the racoon.  Fortunately, he scurried off.  Whew!

Originally Posted by Limpinswinger

I once encountered a chicken on the tee on the back 9 at Key Biscayne.  (For those who don't know, Key Biscayne is an island off of the coast of Miami, just south of the island of Miami Beach, and North of the beginning of the Florida Keys).  But, this was no ordinary chicken.  This was the fanciest looking chicken I've ever seen.  I'm guessing it was an escaped fighting cock.  It had colors and crests all over the place.  Fortunately, it was minding its own business and wasn't interfering with our tee offs.  I don't think I owned a digital camera or camera phone at the time.

On another occasion, I was walking the course by myself at Mel Reese looking for my ball after a wayward drive, where a big racoon was standing in my path between me and where I though my ball had gone.  Of course, I wasn't going to let some racoon make me walk around, I was going to make him get out of the way.  As I got closer, he raised up on his hind legs in a menacing manner, right in my path to my ball.  Now it was personal.  I was determined to impose my dominance over this racoon.  Although I was somewhat uncertain on the inside, with my golf back on my back, I leaned forward and hastened my stride as I got closer to the racoon.  He didn't budge, and I didn't slow down.  Finally, without missing a stride, I pulled out a long iron and as I got to withing about 10 feet, pounded it on the ground in front of the racoon.  Fortunately, he scurried off.  Whew!

Oh, I forgot to mention the Iguana's around the water holes at Key Biscayne.  They usually scatter when they see you coming.

Originally Posted by Windmill

On this one course we were on they had a border collie that would chase the geese off the course. He showed up at the first hole and hung out with us the whole round. He never got in the way, did his business in the woods and was a complete gentleman, until he goes tearing into the water to scare off the geese. That was quite entertaining to watch.

did u at least tip him?

Originally Posted by Limpinswinger

Oh, I forgot to mention the Iguana's around the water holes at Key Biscayne.  They usually scatter when they see you coming.

Not on a golf course, but I once saw an iguana that had to be 5 ft long on Islamirada (I call it I Slam Mirada). Scared the piss outa me.

dak4n6

Originally Posted by Lost-Ball

did u at least tip him?

I gave him a chunk of my ham sammich after the turn.

"Golf is a day spent in a round of strenuous idleness."
William Wordsworth

Gear:
Callaway FT-S Driver Nike VR Blades/wedges TM Ghøst Putter.

Wanna talk about animals on the course.  My group and I were coming off of hole #10 and just turned around the hill to the tee box for #2 and all of a sudden, on the cart path about 150 yards in front of us was a Subaru.  Yeah......I cant even make this up.  There was a car driving down the cart path.....on the course.....in the middle of the day.  WTF reasoning would make you think this was a good idea.

Originally Posted by ApocG10

I was not there, but appparently while finishing up a late twilight round on a warm night, my brother and his friend found a young human couple of teenagers going at it like animals in a sand bunker. They apparently never stopped either.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Most exotic:

Playing a course with 6-8ft komodo dragons running loose and monkeys in the trees. (golf in Malaysia)

Deer and bears aside, the most interesting thing domestically is watching a large eagle grasp my playing partners ball from the middle of the fairway and flying away with it......it flew 30yds downrange before deciding it wasn't edible.....and dropping the ball.  My partner proclaimed.... "play it where it lies, right?". ....LOL...the bird added 30yds to his tee shot.

What's in Paul's Bag:
- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha Driver
- Big Bertha Alpha 815 3-wood
- Callaway Razr Fit 5-wood
- Callaway Big Bertha 4-5 Rescue Clubs
-- Mizuno Mx-25 six iron-gap wedge
- Mizuno Mp-T4 56degree SW
- Mizuno Mp-T11 60degree SW
- Putter- Ping Cadence Ketsch

My home course is in a very remote area and in fact used to be a cattle ranch before, we have foxes,coyotes, rattle snakes,eagles, and wild bores that tear up #6 fairway and tore up turf next to #7 green last night, I'm wondering when they get someone to go out and take care of some of them.

Originally Posted by onesome

My home course is in a very remote area and in fact used to be a cattle ranch before, we have foxes,coyotes, rattle snakes,eagles, and wild bores that tear up #6 fairway and tore up turf next to #7 green last night, I'm wondering when they get someone to go out and take care of some of them.

I think you need to play golf prepared.......

What's in Paul's Bag:
- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha Driver
- Big Bertha Alpha 815 3-wood
- Callaway Razr Fit 5-wood
- Callaway Big Bertha 4-5 Rescue Clubs
-- Mizuno Mx-25 six iron-gap wedge
- Mizuno Mp-T4 56degree SW
- Mizuno Mp-T11 60degree SW
- Putter- Ping Cadence Ketsch

Originally Posted by jamo

I've told this story a few times, but I was at a rather crappy muni course a few years ago (Leo J. Martin in Newton, MA), and saw a guy take a goose's head clean off with a 9-iron for no reason. One of the most disgusting things I've ever seen.

Either that guy would've gotten his ass kicked that day, or I would've gotten mine kicked. Certain things I can't deal with, and animal cruelty is high on the list.

I see valley quail and mourning doves at my course every evening I'm out there this time of year. I really enjoy that because I'm also an avid bird hunter (that's one of my hunting partners in my avatar and my screen name is slang for a rooster pheasant).

John

Note: This thread is 4286 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!