IGNORED

My Swing (Golfingdad)

Golfingdad
Note: This thread is 1284 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Considering the posture, I see your hips and back knee coming towards the ball a bit too.  I've been working (much less than you, dry swings, super slow to speed) on this same thing, and I've found that in this same drill (going to A4, pausing, exaggerating the flattening, then swinging down), I want to push my right side out towards the ball a lot.  Been emphasizing the feeling of left hip up and back towards impact, thinking of it even as towards above the dugout, not just upper deck down the line.  That's helped, but only when I successfully get the flattening with wrists and not with the right shoulder dipping...

Matt

Mid-Weight Heavy Putter
Cleveland Tour Action 60˚
Cleveland CG15 54˚
Nike Vapor Pro Combo, 4i-GW
Titleist 585h 19˚
Tour Edge Exotics XCG 15˚ 3 Wood
Taylormade R7 Quad 9.5˚

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Considering the posture, I see your hips and back knee coming towards the ball a bit too.  I've been working (much less than you, dry swings, super slow to speed) on this same thing, and I've found that in this same drill (going to A4, pausing, exaggerating the flattening, then swinging down), I want to push my right side out towards the ball a lot.  Been emphasizing the feeling of left hip up and back towards impact, thinking of it even as towards above the dugout, not just upper deck down the line.  That's helped, but only when I successfully get the flattening with wrists and not with the right shoulder dipping...

Yeah, the hips and knee kind of mirror the head and everything just kind of schlumps together in a vertical line.  I was experimenting with some similar feels as far as getting the hips open (that's also part of the mapping swings) too.

But the most important part is still the flattening of the downswing/bowing of the left wrist/not cheating with the shoulders - so I'm trying not to work on too many things at once. :)

Definitely better Drew. You might not fix the posture stuff 100% but it will get better as the shaft shallowing becomes more ingrained. Tucking the butt, over-flexing the right knee is just a compensation for the "old" downswing.

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

• 1 month later...

One thing I'd like to see you do is keep an eye on the takeaway. Make sure the hands don't work out and away from you.

You do it less with your practice backswings and it changes the shaft alignment at A3.

Not saying to suck the hands inward but don't let them work away from you. Gaining a little more depth early on (or working straighter back), will help the picture look more like the right pic, it will lessen the amount the arms roll and will "stand" the shaft up more.

So two things:

- As you pivot back allow the hands to follow the motion of the turn, gradually gaining depth as the pressure points stay in place.

- Keep bowing the left wrist on the downswing, over-do the feeling.

Mike McLoughlin

One thing I'd like to see you do is keep an eye on the takeaway. Make sure the hands don't work out and away from you.

You do it less with your practice backswings and it changes the shaft alignment at A3.

Not saying to suck the hands inward but don't let them work away from you. Gaining a little more depth early on (or working straighter back), will help the picture look more like the right pic, it will lessen the amount the arms roll and will "stand" the shaft up more.

So two things:

- As you pivot back allow the hands to follow the motion of the turn, gradually gaining depth as the pressure points stay in place.

- Keep bowing the left wrist on the downswing, over-do the feeling.

Thanks Mike!  I will work on this immediately.

I will also try and get some FO and see what my head is currently doing in the backswing.

I just want to know what's going on here  Is this some new secret move I should know about?

LOL, that looks ridiculous in .gif format.

Seriously though ... I'm having a hard time getting what a soft right shoulder should feel like.  This is me just tinkering and trying to get that feel. :-P

I just want to know what's going on here  Is this some new secret move I should know about?

I believe that's the new dance move all the kids are doing, the shoulder twerk.

KICK THE FLIP!!

In the bag:
:srixon: Z355

:callaway: XR16 3 Wood
:tmade: Aeroburner 19* 3 hybrid
:ping: I e1 irons 4-PW
:vokey: SM5 50, 60
:wilsonstaff: Harmonized Sole Grind 56 and Windy City Putter

Thanks Mike, this is great! :beer: No questions yet, as you spelled it out really clearly and it all makes a lot of sense.  I'll give it a shot next time out on the range. :)

A couple of videos from today working on flaring the feet less, turning the hips throughout the backswing and not letting them stall halfway, and allowing the knee to bend inward a bit.  First impressions of the videos are that I'm surprised how very little LESS flare in my left foot I appear to have, seeing as how I felt like my feet were almost parallel.  Also quite noticeable is that the left hip slides back more than it should, but that's secondary to what I'm working on here so I won't fret yet.

A couple of videos from today working on flaring the feet less, turning the hips throughout the backswing and not letting them stall halfway, and allowing the knee to bend inward a bit.  First impressions of the videos are that I'm surprised how very little LESS flare in my left foot I appear to have, seeing as how I felt like my feet were almost parallel.  Also quite noticeable is that the left hip slides back more than it should, but that's secondary to what I'm working on here so I won't fret yet.

Looking good Drew, keep working on it, can even bring the left foot in a little more.

Hands working "in" with the pivot.

Really like the latest A4, more turn, better shaft alignment. There was less "run off" with the arms because the turning rates were better so things were more synced up.

And basically the point of making these changes, club not working across the ball. Long term we will need to clean up those wrist conditions, more "Dusting Johnson", bowing the left wrist feeling on the downswing.

Result of better sequencing, arms can stay more "in front" of the body on the right, arms/elbows pulling apart too much on the left.

Better!

Mike McLoughlin

Holy stripes. That shirt looks like it came straight out of the 80's.

Michael

Holy stripes. That shirt looks like it came straight out of the 80's.

Hehe.  Apparently the 80's are making a comeback now?

Or at least that's what my in-laws (with a little help from Macy's) would have me believe. :bugout:

This doesn't really add anything new, as Mike's already addressed this exact thing two posts up, but it is an Analyzr screenshot I made, so I might as well store it here. ;)

A few videos from today.  First is a 7 iron, and I'm working on keeping the hips turning all thought the backswing instead of letting them stall halfway back.  I see here that I'm a little shallow on the backswing though - gotta monitor that.  Good news though, is that the result of this shot was perfect.  High 5 yard draw that started 5 yards right of the target.

And here's a driver.  Same thing, basically.  Working on the hips, too shallow going back.  Solid shot though.

This is my first video of one of my "flighted" shots per Mike's instruction .  Going after the black and white pole at 150 (downwind) with a 3/4 9 iron.

And last and least. ;)  A punch 5 iron, just goofing around trying to peg the yellow and red pole, and nearly succeeding.  (Somebody who sprays his driver needs to be able to hit recovery shots)

So after getting home last night and watching my videos then realizing my backswing was so shallow, it dawned on me that i could have very easily have fixed that almost immediately if I actually took the time to review the videos while still at the range with some balls in the tray. :doh:

It doesn't really look like it here, but the A2 on the right feels very Ryan Moore or 2-years-ago Rickie Fowler to me.  And my feeling to get the hips to keep moving is to feel like they are what is guiding everything back - rather than my arms doing any of the work.

Still really have to work on the bowing wrist and shallower downswing, but this alone is helping me make a lot more solid contact in the meantime.

Note: This thread is 1284 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!