IGNORED

Tiger's a Dad

Silvertree
Note: This thread is 6145 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

• Administrator
Come on iacas, how can you say for sure that Tiger didn't know his wife was about to deliver? Did you speak with him about this topic or see a report from someone who did?

Tiger didn't leave Oakmont until late Sunday evening. If Elin was in labor or if he had any reason to get back to Orlando, he'd have left ASAP. He didn't have any obligations beyond the awards ceremony, so he would NOT have taken his time if he was at all aware of an impending birth.

That's reason enough. But then yes, there's more, and that's the word of the journalists that the birth of his kid was not on his mind any more than it had been the day before, and that Tiger, through his entire round Sunday, believed the birth to be two to three weeks away. I know birth can take awhile. This one didn't. Tiger wouldn't have loped around PA if he had to be back in Florida. Heck, I doubt he'd have even stayed for the awards ceremony. He'd have had a beeper - as he said he would - if he thought birth was imminent. He'd have left mid-round to be with his wife.
All I said was that his demeanor on Sunday was different from what I have seen in past Majors.

That's pushing something on him after the fact. He wasn't playing well (unusual), he wasn't winning (unusual), and his competition wasn't crumbling like they normally do (unusual).

And they never had an exact time when Sam would be born, so what was the reason for his exceptional play on Saturday?

They had a due date, and it was something like July 10 or 11. So if by "exact time" you mean a date, of course they had that, and it wasn't June 18.

If he would've dropped many of those close putts, he would've easily shot a low 60. Did he hit 17 fairways and GIR's because he decided "NOW, is not the time to worry about Elin and Sam?" My point is, why not congratulate Cabrera for a great win instead of conjuring up reasons why Tiger lost?

Aside from the fact that there aren't 17 fairways... I agree. Angel won, Tiger lost, and the birth of his kid was NOT a factor. His poor play on Sunday was.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I never took away from Cabreras win. Congratulations to him. Personally, I wanted Tiger to pull it out. Maybe if he would've dropped his 7 footer on ten and eleven, and then his 5 footer for birdie on 13 he would've walked away with another US open under his belt. It just seems un-Tiger like to miss two birdie putts and a par putt inside ten feet within 4 holes of each other on a Sunday when in perfect contention to win.
What I play:
Cleveland HiBore XLS 9.5 Fujikura Stiff flex | Titleist 735.cm Stainless Steel True Temper S300 3-PW | Titleist Vokey GW 52 | Cleveland 588 SW 56 | Titleist Vokey LW 60 | Scotty Cameron Studio Stainless | Titleist Pro V1x

Where I play:
Texas A&M UniversityHow I play:Goals for 2008

I never took away from Cabreras win. Congratulations to him. Personally, I wanted Tiger to pull it out. Maybe if he would've dropped his 7 footer on ten and eleven, and then his 5 footer for birdie on 13 he would've walked away with another US open under his belt. It just seems un-Tiger like to miss two birdie putts and a par putt inside ten feet within 4 holes of each other on a Sunday when in perfect contention to win.

But it does take away from Cabrera's win when we try to find reasons why Tiger wasn't God-like. You mentioned un-Tiger like characteristics, but isn't it a fact that he's never won when down coming into the last round? And believe me, you weren't the only one that wanted Tiger to win. On another thread, I posted that Tiger's my favorite golfer. So there's no question who I wanted to win. When they asked Cabrera how it felt to beat Tiger...his response was along the lines of "I'm just glad to have beaten everyone, not just Tiger." And that's it. Tiger didn't lose the Open. Carbrera won it...

Driver: r7 9.5*
3 Wood: xxI0
4 Wood: V steel
Irons: i-403
PW: : 56* chrome wedgeSW: 53* tour seriesPutter: scotty cameron Newport twoBalls: ProV-1Bag: Hoofer stand bag

I agree to disagree.

That is all I am going to say on the topic
What I play:
Cleveland HiBore XLS 9.5 Fujikura Stiff flex | Titleist 735.cm Stainless Steel True Temper S300 3-PW | Titleist Vokey GW 52 | Cleveland 588 SW 56 | Titleist Vokey LW 60 | Scotty Cameron Studio Stainless | Titleist Pro V1x

Where I play:
Texas A&M UniversityHow I play:Goals for 2008

But it does take away from Cabrera's win when we try to find reasons why Tiger wasn't God-like.

That's always how it will be. As long as he on top, there will always be the people looking at why Tiger did't win. Cabrerra played a great round of golf at the most important time of his career. He deserves all the credit for it.

Still, like the greats in any sport, it is usually more of an issue of them losing, not someone else winning. It happened when the Pistons beat the Lakers in 2004. It was all about how the Lakers fell apart and not how the Pistons played a great series and outplayed them in all 5 games. The same thing happened this year when the Cavaliers beat the Pistons. Everyone here seemed to think it was the Pistons playing poorly, not Cleveland playing well. Cleveland outplayed them in 5 of the 6 games and the 6th was a push.
Driver: 9.5° 905R Stiff Aldila NV 65
3 Wood: 15.° Pro Trajectory 906F4 Stiff Aldila VS Proto Blue
Hybrid: 19.0° 503 H Stiff Dynamic Gold S400
Hybrid: 21.0° Edge C.F.T. Ti Stiff Aldila NVS
Irons: 775cb 4-GW w/S300 Sand Wedge: Vokey 58° Puttter: Laguna Mid-Slant Pro PlatinumBall: ProV1Bag: Li...

They had a due date, and it was something like July 10 or 11. So if by "exact time" you mean a date, of course they had that, and it wasn't June 18.

July 10 OR 11th isn't an exact period. It's not a definitive time. But that wasn't the point. I'm agreeing with you. The point I'm trying to make is that no changes happened with Elin for Tiger to have worried MORESO on Sunday than on Saturday.

And yes, you're right. 9 fairways, 17 GIR's. My mistake.

Driver: r7 9.5*
3 Wood: xxI0
4 Wood: V steel
Irons: i-403
PW: : 56* chrome wedgeSW: 53* tour seriesPutter: scotty cameron Newport twoBalls: ProV-1Bag: Hoofer stand bag

Tiger didn't leave Oakmont until late Sunday evening. If Elin was in labor or if he had any reason to get back to Orlando, he'd have left ASAP. He didn't have any obligations beyond the awards ceremony, so he would NOT have taken his time if he was at all aware of an impending birth.

Okay, I'll admit that if Tiger hung around Oakmont for any period of time after the tournament was over, then he almost certainly did not know that the birth was imminent. Here is an article from the Orlando Sentinel which backs up your contention that he didn't know about the birth during the final round.

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/sport...home-headlines This brings up an interesting issue: I haven't seen anything that says Tiger was present for the birth. If he was still in PA Sunday evening and Elin gave birth "early Monday morning" its very possible he wasn't able to make it back to Orlando in time for the birth.

Driver: Launcher, 10.5°
Fairway: Big Bertha 2007, 15° & 18°
Hybrid: Rapture, 21° & 24°
Irons: Big Bertha 2006, 5 - PW
Wedges: Vokey, 52° & 56°Putter: White Hot XG, Rossie Ball: HX HotI'm not saying my golf game went bad, but if I grew tomatoes, they'd come up sliced. ~ Lee Trevino

Okay, now I just saw that the Golf Channel is reporting he was present for the birth. Good for him!!!

Driver: Launcher, 10.5°
Fairway: Big Bertha 2007, 15° & 18°
Hybrid: Rapture, 21° & 24°
Irons: Big Bertha 2006, 5 - PW
Wedges: Vokey, 52° & 56°Putter: White Hot XG, Rossie Ball: HX HotI'm not saying my golf game went bad, but if I grew tomatoes, they'd come up sliced. ~ Lee Trevino

let's say he makes the putt to force a playoff. the next day his wife goes in labor. does he quit midway or finish the round?

Diablo Octane
Big Bertha 2007 3W 

Razr X 3H, 4H
Razr X Irons 5-PW 

Wedges X-Tour 56* and 60*

White Ice D.A.R.T Mallet 

Ball Tour i(s)

Congratulations to Angel!
Congratulations to Tiger and Elin and baby Sam!
Who cares about the rest. To me it seems they both came out winners all the way around.

Driver: Callaway Big Bertha 10degree
3 Wood: TaylorMade R7 Draw
5 Wood: Callaway BB
Hybrid: TaylorMade R7 Draw 19D
Irons: Nike Slingshot OSS 4- AWWedge Cleveland CG10Putter: Oddessy 2 BallBall: Bridgestone E5/E6

Thank you, Wulff. Thank you, thank you, and again, thank you!
A Mixed Bag

Driver 320Ti, 10.5 R, stock graphite
Ovation 3W, Aldila 65R graphite
Dunlop DDH 5W Edge CFT Hybrid 3-iron, #3 graphite CFT irons 4 - E wedge, #3 graphite Apex Edge F wedge 60 degree LW Bobby Grace M5K putter Laddie X A3

congrats to tiger he is gonna have some fun.
In My Bag

Driver: Sasquatch 460 9.5°
3 Wood: Laser 3 Wood 15°
5 Wood: r7 19° (Stiff)Irons: S58 Irons 4-PW Orange DotWedge: Harmonized 60°Wedge: Z TP 54°Putter: Tiffany 34"Balls: Pro V1 Shoes: Adidas Tour 360 IIThe Meadows Golf Coursewww.themeadowsgc.comAge: 16

Only Tiger knows if it effected him or not. I could careless either way, either you win or you don't. He didn't.

Anyway I look for Tiger to win the next two majors and get things roaring again. Tiger is the best golfer ever to play the game and I am so happy it's happening now.

let's say he makes the putt to force a playoff. the next day his wife goes in labor. does he quit midway or finish the round?

Now that would have made for some great TV. Do you think she would have told him she was in labor if he was in a playoff? At least we didn't need to hear about him having a beeper in his golf bag that could go off at any moment.

Irons: 775cb 4-GW w/S300 Sand Wedge: Vokey 58° Puttter: Laguna Mid-Slant Pro PlatinumBall: ProV1Bag: Li...

Aside from arguing if it affected his game on Sunday (if he knew I am sure he was thinking about it, if not it probably didn't bother him) does anyone else find the coverage of this a little overboard. When did the golf channel turn into entertainment tonight.

In my Grom:
Driver: :nike: Sasquatch 9.5° Graffalloy Shaft-Stiff Flex
FW: :nike: 3 (15°) & 5 (19°) Sasquatch Diamana Shaft-Stiff Flex
Hybrid: :touredge: Tour Edge Exotics Ironwood 21° Adila Shaft-Stiff Flex
Irons: :nike: 4-AW OSS Steel Shaft-Stiff Flex
Wedges: :vokey: Vokey Spin Milled 54 and 60
Putter:  :edel: Basic Series 

Aside from arguing if it affected his game on Sunday (if he knew I am sure he was thinking about it, if not it probably didn't bother him) does anyone else find the coverage of this a little overboard. When did the golf channel turn into entertainment tonight.

I think this is an important event in golf history. It has been assumed that he will break all of Jack's records. The only thing standing in his way would be a loss of focus or motivation. There is no question a child can do that. I am fortunate enough to see my kids daily. I don't have a job that has me gone for a week or more at a time. If I did, I know that I would want to get home ASAP. Granted he has a private jet and can afford nanny's and huge hotel rooms for his family so I doubt that he will travel a ton without them.

my initial thought was that this was planned to avoid any interruption in his major schedule. That may be a little cynical, but that was the first thought. I doubt they would induce that early though, but it sure is a convenient time to do it.

Driver: 9.5 905R 757 Speeder X stiff
3 Wood: 13.0 Sonartec GS Tour Red Ice 70X
Hybrid: 17.0 Sonartec MD Stiff UST IROD
Irons: 690cb 4-PW w/Rifle 6.0
Wedges: Cleveland 900 Series Gunmetal 50, 54, 60Putter: Scotty Cameron Studio Newport 370g head

Some very great thoughts brought up here...especially the Monday 18-hole playoff scenario and "what would Tiger have done?"

We'll never know as intensely private as he is (good for him!), but I can't help to think that the labor was induced. His wife surely has the best health care in the world; I'm confident they knew the status of the baby's and her health all along.

Otherwise, Tiger would have never done that Nike commercial that we saw...the one with the Nike clubmakers producing a set for his baby.

So, in my humble opinion...and not knowing the medical side and planning of induced labor...if Tiger dropped that putt and the Monday playoff happened, we could very well have seen a Tuesday delivery of Baby Woods.

Is there a doctor in the house (reading this thread) that knows anything about induced labor? :)

Great article in today's Sun News golf page on this topic (the newspaper here at "Golf Capital of the World")...and a thought in it that relates to the other thread regarding "Jack vs. Tiger":

"Woods is so protective of his private life, it is difficult to imagine allowing his child or children to be at a tournament lest they feel part of the circus.

That's something Nicklaus never faced. His stardom came during the era of Sports Illustrated, not People magazine."

http://www.myrtlebeachonline.com/spo...ry/104939.html

Note: This thread is 6145 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!