IGNORED

Should cannabis be banned?

TN94z
Note: This thread is 3367 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Having a plant that offers no advantage to sports, banned in sports, makes no sense. Making a plant illegal also makes no sense to me. Apparently one that does so many things. I use hemp protein for lifting. Its cheap, is a complete protein, is usda organic, and is actually healthy. I know hemp can be used to make clothes, paper, etc. Why its banned is beyond me. Just another form of gov control.

Driver - Ping G15 12 Degree Loft
3W - Ping G10
3 Hyrbrid - Ping G15
4-PW - Taylormade Burner 2.0
Putter - Ping Anser 2

My swing (help is much appreciated) - http://thesandtrap.com/t/80964/my-swing-logo

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/the-problem-with-pot/ar-BBhBODn

States where pot is legal have a higher rate of use by kids ?? come on can't be true

Extended use lowers your IQ ? .............................. Explains a lot

Mainstream news articles cherry-picking science to match their angle is a fun game. I can play too:

http://www.fool.com/investing/general/2015/02/15/could-this-new-marijuana-study-smoke-pessimists.aspx

None of this is golf-related, though. I hope this thread doesn't go down the rabbit hole like last time. And the time before that. And before that.

Dom's Sticks:

Callaway X-24 10.5° Driver, Callaway Big Bertha 15° wood, Callaway XR 19° hybrid, Callaway X-24 24° hybrid, Callaway X-24 5i-9i, PING Glide PW 47°/12°, Cleveland REG 588 52°/08°, Callaway Mack Daddy PM Grind 56°/13°, 60°/10°, Odyssey Versa Jailbird putter w/SuperStroke Slim 3.0 grip, Callaway Chev Stand Bag, Titleist Pro-V1x ball

I'd agree if marijuana were controlled by the FDA but in it's current street form you can't say it's safer than alcohol.  I've seen kids get deathly sick from whatever the pot they bought was laced with, so as a drug sold illegally on the streets in most states in the United States you can't make the argument it's as safe or safer than alcohol.

So the problem is not pot, it is the fact that it is illegal.

Used in moderation there are studies showing that THC has anti carcinogenic properties.  A vape and a beer every keeps the doctor away.  Also, I've been around weed for about 15 years now and I have never seen, now heard of anyone getting weed "laced" with something else.  If you believe bad weed is a significant problem, it only goes for the legalization argument.  During alcohol prohibition bath tub gin hurt a lot of people.  Right now maybe the worst drug is meth because anyone can make it, but it is terrible for you.

I remember back in the day when some pot was laced with dangerous stuff.  But that was because the US government in its wisdom decided that spraying poison (called paraquate sp?) on growing weed that then ended up potentially damaging some unsuspecting users who got some of the stuff was a good idea.  Fortunately it proved to be far less dangerous than feared - something the gov't dd not know when it decided it was OK to put some of its people at risk.

I'm all for pot being legalized and taxed.  As for lacing, our friends daughter and her friends had to be taken to the emergency room after they smoked a joint that the doctors believe was dipped in embalming fluid.  I don't know how widespread it is, or how big a problem, but for these parents and their kids, it was a reality.

If someone mixes methanol in their vodka and goes blind is the problem really the vodka?

As long as being a pot head doesn't lead to becoming a heroin or meth addict.  Alcohol is alcohol, kicking beer or vodka is the same treatment, that's not the case for hard drugs.

Other great rebuttals have been made (I especially liked the one where virtually all heroin addicts started with that gateway drug, milk) but I think we are missing the biggest factor.  IMO, the only reason pot may have some gateway aspect is not the nature of pot, it is the fact that it is illegal.  Therefore its users have to constantly have contact with people selling illegal stuff.  And those folks have a great incentive to up sell their customers to more potent, i.e., more expensive, stuff.

I remember back in the college day, the pot purveyors always had other stuff on offer.  So yes the kids that smoked pot got offered cocaine (and other stuff) and some tried it and I suppose some became regular users.

Funny thing is, I've been going to legal dispensaries for more than a year and no one has ever offered me any cocaine there.  Or heroin.  Or any other non-THC drugs.  Forcing people into having to associate with illegal activities is not really a good strategy for dealing with something that is far less intrinsically harmful than many legal substances - and it shows.

To bring it back to golf, I ended up with a choice.

a) I could give up playing because of arthritis pain.

b) I could take opiates before playing that do not really deal with the pain that effectively and have risks of addiction

c) I could stealthily (vaporizing, so there is no smell and my playing companions never even know) take a couple of hits every few holes to ease the pain so I can play.  It isn't enough to get high, as I have enough trouble playing while straight, but it eases the pain a lot.  Yes, even though mine is a "legal" state it is illegal to use in public but a) no one knows, and b) no one cares.

But then again, what the hell do I know?

Rich - in name only

Exactly

It's pretty absurd to think the PGA would take it upon themselves to make the judgement call on which illegal substances should be banned and which should not.

I think pot should be legal but that's not the PGA's or any other sports organization's domain.

I remember back in the day when some pot was laced with dangerous stuff.  But that was because the US government in its wisdom decided that spraying poison (called paraquate sp?) on growing weed that then ended up potentially damaging some unsuspecting users who got some of the stuff was a good idea.  Fortunately it proved to be far less dangerous than feared - something the gov't dd not know when it decided it was OK to put some of its people at risk.

If someone mixes methanol in their vodka and goes blind is the problem really the vodka?

Other great rebuttals have been made (I especially liked the one where virtually all heroin addicts started with that gateway drug, milk) but I think we are missing the biggest factor.  IMO, the only reason pot may have some gateway aspect is not the nature of pot, it is the fact that it is illegal.  Therefore its users have to constantly have contact with people selling illegal stuff.  And those folks have a great incentive to up sell their customers to more potent, i.e., more expensive, stuff.

I remember back in the college day, the pot purveyors always had other stuff on offer.  So yes the kids that smoked pot got offered cocaine (and other stuff) and some tried it and I suppose some became regular users.

Funny thing is, I've been going to legal dispensaries for more than a year and no one has ever offered me any cocaine there.  Or heroin.  Or any other non-THC drugs.  Forcing people into having to associate with illegal activities is not really a good strategy for dealing with something that is far less intrinsically harmful than many legal substances - and it shows.

To bring it back to golf, I ended up with a choice.

a) I could give up playing because of arthritis pain.

b) I could take opiates before playing that do not really deal with the pain that effectively and have risks of addiction

c) I could stealthily (vaporizing, so there is no smell and my playing companions never even know) take a couple of hits every few holes to ease the pain so I can play.  It isn't enough to get high, as I have enough trouble playing while straight, but it eases the pain a lot.  Yes, even though mine is a "legal" state it is illegal to use in public but a) no one knows, and b) no one cares.

You may have misunderstood my position, I'm all for legalization of pot and other recreational drugs;

• I want them taxed so the tax money can be used for treatment for substance abuse and other maladies related to the drugs use.
  • It will hopefully reduce the illegal drug market, crime and the influence of illegal drug cartels.
  • Legalization will ensure certain sanitary and quality control processes are put into place to prevent poisoning from additives to the drug.
  • Those who find benefit or relief from it can do so without fear of criminal prosecution
  • Most drugs (except crack) don't appear to be any more addictive than Oxy, which is a legal and abused frequently.

Legal or not I will choose not to use them, just as I have refused Oxy when prescribed for pain but we can't bury our heads in the sand that people are using them.

Joe Paradiso

I'm a medical marijuana user. Actually I vape a mixture that's 75% THC and 5% CBD. I really like this.

Even if weed were legal in the US it is illegal in enough countries that it would remain a banned substance under WADA. However, WADA has no effect on the rest of us unless we're competing in a USGA sanctioned state championship or higher level; or NCAA event; International amateur event; or LPGA or PGA event. So for your club championship and local tournaments, I really wouldn't worry about it. Toke away. Just not a joint, and don't make a deal of it.

If people are getting sticky about this they should be familiar with this: WADA reference guide . The IGF is a member. Some people who are over the age of 50 are taking at least one drug that is on the list (WADA 2014) of banned substances .

Julia

:callaway:  :cobra:    :seemore:  :bushnell:  :clicgear:  :adidas:  :footjoy:

Spoiler

Driver: Callaway Big Bertha w/ Fubuki Z50 R 44.5"
FW: Cobra BiO CELL 14.5 degree; 
Hybrids: Cobra BiO CELL 22.5 degree Project X R-flex
Irons: Cobra BiO CELL 5 - GW Project X R-Flex
Wedges: Cobra BiO CELL SW, Fly-Z LW, 64* Callaway PM Grind.
Putter: 48" Odyssey Dart

Note: This thread is 3367 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!