IGNORED

Mac O'Grady Swings

iacas
Note: This thread is 2303 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I like the above post. One Moe Norman was supposed to be even better ballstriker to Hogan and he was also alone (like Mac is presented here) and accomplished nothing on tour.

Mac O'Grady Acolyte, or "Macolyte"

• Administrator

He didn’t try to.

And he purposefully lost events to avoid the spotlight.

You continue to talk yourself down some bad paths.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

This thread is about posting Mac swings and discussing his swing and his swing theories. Not for talking about the mental game or Moe Norman.

43 minutes ago, Secretmove said:

"Fowler and J.B. have won more, competed longer and hit better shots in tournaments than Mac. A big change with my own thinking the last several years is that there is a lot to be learned from guys that don't have "textbook" swings. Possibly more to be learned than just analyzing Adam Scott and 2000 Tiger because you're looking at the stuff that matters and not the distracting "pretty" moves. "

Could it be that the physical ability to strike a golf ball with a stick is only one of many complex things that successful tour pros have to win tournaments and amass ball striking statistics on the pga tour. 

Could it be that Ball Striking stats gathered from the PGA tour have little or nothing to do with physical ability or technical perfection?  Could it be that success has more to do with mental ability and social confidence and physical confidence than being a technical genius. 

I'm asking these questions, but I already am pretty sure that most PGA pros, like Duffner for example, number 6 best ball striker before his divorce, and now what......??????..... he got kicked in the balls by some beautiful gold digger and all his self confidence he had locked in a box in his head leaked out.  Now he's what on the ball striking stats. 

O'Grady was in his time considered by his peers as the best ball striker with the most beautiful moves of anybody since Hogan.  He could hit any shot on the range better than anyone because of his technical perfection.  So what does it take to take it to the course? 

Well, I just watched a video of Elk interviewing Duff, and Duff has exactly one, count 'em, one swing thought he uses.  What is my right shoulder doing.  He swings it back perfectly flat, and then steepens the plane like all pros do.  That's it.  He's long ago found that works for him, and has locked that into a bank vault, put on blinders and ear plugs and it works for him.  Good for him, because there are 100 million "pros" who would destroy that swing and confidence in a heart beat. 

I honestly believe if I was ever playing O'Grady for money, I might have a chance, every time he hit one good, I would compliment his third accumulator or just say wow that was a perfect swing.  End of day, he'd be paying me. 

If you look at the positions O'G makes you can't do any better.  End of story.   Fowler is 5'9", is way more confident and stupid than O"G, completely unanalytical, Butch Harmon would never even think of changing any of that straight push with right leg with flip compensation, he just encourages more of what works for him.  JB holmes is an animal who should be a grave digger.   Monster strong.  Swings left and would be a slugger in the minor leagues. 

Ball striking stats on the PGA tour are about mental ability and not getting mentally in your own way.  OG is a poster child, an analytical guy who doesn't like being in the spotlight, exact opposite of McCord, you can tell videos, McCord just takes over.  Now OG is a recluse guru, who gives a crap what he is now.  If he had the mentality of Fowler, who knows how many tournaments he could have won.  Its a tribute to his talent he did as much as he did.  What would his ball striking stats be if he could have turned off all thought like the DUFF??? 

PGA tour is 99.9999% mental.  I haven't even talked about the fact the PGA tour is 99.999999999 percent right wing republican, and that encludes evangelical Christian as well.  What if Mac was a closet liberal atheist?  Do you think not fitting in socially is an asset to ball striking stats?  Who is Mac supposed to talk to when he can't make it work on the course.  He's got nobody. 

So, part of that PGA tour being 99.9999999% mental, a lot of that is fitting in to the country club scene.  A lot of that is Alpha male greed and ambition where there is an automatic response to academic mumbo jumbo:  does that make me more money or get in my way?  You almost have to be born with that genetic ability.  Did Mac hang out with Jack?  Did Jack send an invite to Mac to come over to his Mansion, hang out and talk about his theories?  F!@#$!@#$@# no he didn't.  Mac was too busy suing Beman and asking to play two ball tournaments as both a righty and lefty.  I love that.  But that's not the kind of thinking that will get you F!@Q#!$@#$@# ball striking stats on the PGA tour. 

I strongly disagree with your post. Short answer is if you give me Fowler's mental game I'm not playing on the PGA Tour. If you want to continue to discuss mental game please do so here.

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

• Administrator
3 hours ago, Secretmove said:

Could it be that the physical ability to strike a golf ball with a stick is only one of many complex things that successful tour pros have to win tournaments and amass ball striking statistics on the pga tour.

It is, by far, the most dominant thing.

Could it be that Ball Striking stats gathered from the PGA tour have little or nothing to do with physical ability or technical perfection?  Could it be that success has more to do with mental ability and social confidence and physical confidence than being a technical genius. 

Theoretically? Anything is possible… I guess?

But if we limit the discussion to this universe? Absolutely no way whatsoever.

If you look at the positions O'G makes you can't do any better.  End of story.

:doh:

Ball striking stats on the PGA tour are about mental ability and not getting mentally in your own way.

They're really not.

You're not appreciating how thin the line between good and bad is. Read up on the topic.

Screen%20Shot%202018-01-02%20at%206.47.1

Three feet: first to last. You don't seem to appreciate how good modern PGA Tour players are, and how tightly bunched they are, and how a tiny thing can change things for a player.

If he had the mentality of Fowler, who knows how many tournaments he could have won.

Rickie Fowler hits the ball better than Mac O'Grady.

PGA tour is 99.9999% mental.

No, it's not.

Do you think not fitting in socially is an asset to ball striking stats?

Oh brother.

Look…

I should give you a warning you again for posting off-topic stuff, because none of this discusses Mac O'Grady's swing, MORAD, etc. Instead, I'll simply warn you here, in this text. Do not respond to my post, or @mvmac's post, here in this topic. If you want to post about the mental game, or continue your posts about how awesome Mac O'Grady was as a golfer… post elsewhere. This isn't the topic for that.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Where on the forum can we discuss freely various meanders of ballstriking class without being threatened then?

11 minutes ago, Yff Theos said:

Where on the forum can we discuss freely various meanders of ballstriking class without being threatened then?

No one was "threatened". We're trying to keep threads on topic.

To answer your question:
Screen Shot 2018-01-03 at 8.57.11 AM.png

Screen Shot 2018-01-03 at 8.57.22 AM.png

• Like 1

Mike McLoughlin

• Administrator
9 minutes ago, Yff Theos said:

Start a new topic somewhere.

12 minutes ago, Yff Theos said:

Beauty! What year could it be, Mike? Mid 90-ties?

That would be much later. Wouldn't be surprised if it was 2012 ish.

• Administrator
4 minutes ago, Veteran Golf Fan said:

He also posts under his other name Phil McGleney.

His other name (not this user) is @Phil McGleno.

His birth name.

25 minutes ago, Yff Theos said:

The video quality certainly doesn't look like it's from over 20 years ago.

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

44 minutes ago, virtuoso said:

That would be much later. Wouldn't be surprised if it was 2012 ish.

Well, Virtuoso, if it is 2012 it would suggest the guy was over 60 years old with that swing. Phenomenal.

33 minutes ago, billchao said:

The video quality certainly doesn't look like it's from over 20 years ago.

True, I have not though about it.

I saw another Instagram of his swing with a video filter to make it look like VCR, 360p quality. The video looks like it went through a filter as well.

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

1 hour ago, Yff Theos said:

It's fairly recent, sometime the last several years.

Mike McLoughlin

This one. White headed driver, 35mm look.

Now this one is genuinely old.

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

I would peg the maroon shirt at 87 ish. Probably when he hit it his best. (however, he did say that the best he ever hit it was right before he broke his elbow--mid-2000's)

3 hours ago, Yff Theos said:

Well, Virtuoso, if it is 2012 it would suggest the guy was over 60 years old with that swing. Phenomenal.

Regardless if you are a Mac fan or not, no one disputes that he has always been in incredible physical condition. That swing is also made after he had a broken right elbow and didn't get it set properly.

Edited by virtuoso
  • Like 1

Note: This thread is 2303 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!