IGNORED

Rules? For the Average Golfer?

jaymunson
Note: This thread is 4251 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

• Administrator
Originally Posted by jaymunson

It seems that my last article submitted inspired commentary, insults, and simply rude statements.

Thread merged.

Originally Posted by jaymunson

Next time with the Average Joe Golfer, learn how to accidentally plug a snobs ball with your cart tire who just hit into you…He has to play it as it lies, otherwise it’s a penalty stroke.

Wrong.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

El shanks, your my kinda of peoples. Rip and grip brother! Have fun with the tournament, sounds like a blast...

i will have a good time no matter what rain, wind i dont give a rats a** i will be amongst some people i dont know but hopefully by the end i will. might lose a dozen ball to the water gods who knows. one thing that is a given i will have a good time no matter what

You went from having an alternative opinion to acting like a troll, if that was your intent, congrats.   I simply love to play the game too, I just choose to play it by the rules.  Stick with writing about food.

Note to anyone reading, this is not a shot at all golfers, just a couple.

It seems that my last article submitted inspired commentary, insults, and simply rude statements.

I feel I can say this honestly due to my background both on the private courses and the public. I only play public courses now, because of the elitist thinking a$$holes like most of the comment makers here. It’s how you all view this sport that makes me despise it yet it also drives me to write more as the Average Joe Golfer that many others and I are.

Average middle class (and I am not discrediting above or below this line) individuals who play with hand me down clubs, borrowed water logger balls, who doesn’t own an actual set of spikes; and for the ones who like to crack open a cold beer, light up a 4 dollar cigar from the club house, while wearing cutoff gun shirts, and for the ones who hold the flow of the pace, due to “Ed’s taking a leak”. I write for those who simply love to play.

Next time with the Average Joe Golfer, learn how to accidentally plug a snobs ball with your cart tire who just hit into you…He has to play it as it lies, otherwise it’s a penalty stroke.

Joe Paradiso

You went from having an alternative opinion to acting like a troll, if that was your intent, congrats.   I simply love to play the game too, I just choose to play it by the rules.  Stick with writing about food.

I hope his grammar, syntax, and subject matter knowledge are better when writing about food, than golf. ;-)

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

Note to anyone reading, this is not a shot at all golfers, just a couple.

It seems that my last article submitted inspired commentary, insults, and simply rude statements. Yet on the topic of rules, I received shots about playing the game, comments about lack of respect for the game, and even shots on my writing skills. Let me clarify a couple of things first and for most. The article was meant to my humorous, yet it seems some thought I was simply writing to annoy. Hardly my reasoning or true to the point of the article. On my writing skills, I admit I have only been writing about golf for about a week now, my normal articles are about food, which I have an editor and I get published, and paid. So for that issue I am sorry.

The other comment I took particular interest in was that from a twenty four year old child. Sorry kid, I have in fact been playing golf 4 years shy of your age, so 20 years playing this sport. I have played in junior leagues, 4 years of high school and 1 year of college, and since college I have played nearly every weekend. So the idea of me not knowing the game, nor the rules, course edict, or playing by the rules is somewhat ridiculous due to I have been playing longer than you being able to use the toilet by yourself.

The point of my article was not to encourage cheating in golf or in any other sport for that fat, but to simply be able to have fun while playing the game of golf and for anyone and I mean anyone to be able to go out and play this sport, without being reprimanded by shooting for a better handicap or by the rules that most do not even know. I feel I can say this honestly due to my background both on the private courses and the public. I only play public courses now, because of the elitist thinking a$$holes like most of the comment makers here. It’s how you all view this sport that makes me despise it yet it also drives me to write more as the Average Joe Golfer that many others and I are.

Average middle class (and I am not discrediting above or below this line) individuals who play with hand me down clubs, borrowed water logger balls, who doesn’t own an actual set of spikes; and for the ones who like to crack open a cold beer, light up a 4 dollar cigar from the club house, while wearing cutoff gun shirts, and for the ones who hold the flow of the pace, due to “Ed’s taking a leak”. I write for those who simply love to play.

I mean do you really think elitists like yourselves fuel the rounds of the PGA, or WPGA? No it’s a$$holes like my self and many others out there who are buying thousand dollar set of clubs, buying 45 dollar set of balls, who think it’s cool to own 1 percent of Ping or Callaway. It’s people like me who pay 32 bucks for eighteen and a cart each and every weekend and don’t give a spit about handicaps or what we have in the bag.

So you can have your private courses, and memberships, your droll conversations about what new club came out or what ball you think it the best, and you can keep your handicaps for you sandbagging elitist “A” flights. I’ll be out with a thousand plus other golfers drinking beer while we play, disregarding the rules, and playing a game as we the Average Joe’s and Jane’s of this golf world, see fit.

Any comments left to be made, feel free and when I see that you have a 3.2 handicap denouncing anything I just wrote, it will only prove my point of you being a golf elitist snob.

You seem to have a skewed idea of public course players too.  I've been a public municipal course golfer for 40 years (so I've even got a few years on you), but that doesn't mean that I have to drink and chew and spit and smoke to enjoy a round of golf.  I have no clue where that idea comes from.  The guys I play with regularly approach the game in much the same way as I do.  Most of the random people I meet when I play as a single play the game in a sane and sensible manner.  They are there to enjoy a round of golf played by the rules as they understand them.  Just because I have a better understanding of the rules doesn't mean that I try to impose my will on them.  I offer information if asked, and keep quiet if not.  Invariably we have a good time regardless.

I got interested in the Rules of Golf 25 years ago (when I was a worse than average player) because I wanted to play golf as it was intended to be played.  Not to lord it over others with differing outlooks.  Not to impose my wishes on anyone else unless there was a tournament or money on the line.  I play that way because its how I prefer to play.  It's how I have fun playing.  I don't have fun playing your way.  I don't usually have much fun playing with others who follow your precepts for a "fun" round of golf.  For me that is NOT fun, yet you seem to feel that my desire to play golf correctly somehow makes me an elitist.  I feel that it just makes me a golfer.

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

Done.

"...my last article..."?  GTFO.  I was skeptical of your initial post when you slapped your name at the end like it is something that we should take note of, now you are calling your posts "articles?"  Wow.  You know you are just some guy on a golf forum, right?  Anyone can post here.  Articles are in publications, magazines, newspapers, websites, pamphlets, books... things people usually pay for, and to which they get paid to write.

There are a few things that always jump out to me as red flags for people that I do not want to get to know or have anything to do with.  You hit two of them; people that break the rules and showboat about it, and jerks that think they are more important than they actually are.  You aren't that important, your "article" wasn't enlightening, and you are posting on a effing forum!  You're on the internet loser, nobody cares who you are!  Your dreams of being discovered as a great writer by shopping your posts on different forums are delusional.  Go back to blogspot and stay there.

So jackass, what did you think of this article?

• Upvote 1

I don't understand these 'rules' posts'. Virtually every game has rules, and very few people question most of them, to wit: - I never hear anyone suggest a tennis match where players let the ball bounce twice instead of once (or not at all). The game would be easier, though, right? I guess it would also make it more fun for some folks. - When I sit down at a chess board, no on ever says, " Hey! Let's move our pawns in every direction!" - We never play four outs in softball, and a foul ball that's close is still foul. No one ever says, "But it was close....let's count it." - On the rare occasion when I bowl, I don't ignore the foul line, even when going over it results in a strike. Like most sports, playing good golf is hard. Blowing off a few rules to make it easier is like bowling with those little kiddie things in the gutter....lame.
  • Upvote 1

In The Bag: - Patience - Persistence - Perseverance - Platitudes

Originally Posted by LovinItAll

I don't understand these 'rules' posts'. Virtually every game has rules, and very few people question most of them, to wit:

- I never hear anyone suggest a tennis match where players let the ball bounce twice instead of once (or not at all). The game would be easier, though, right? I guess it would also make it more fun for some folks.

- When I sit down at a chess board, no on ever says, " Hey! Let's move our pawns in every direction!"

- We never play four outs in softball, and a foul ball that's close is still foul. No one ever says, "But it was close....let's count it."

- On the rare occasion when I bowl, I don't ignore the foul line, even when going over it results in a strike.

Like most sports, playing good golf is hard. Blowing off a few rules to make it easier is like bowling with those little kiddie things in the gutter....lame.

Other sports don't go insane with the rules like golf. Bowling has what? 1 Rule? Imagine in softball if a player makes contact with a leaf while on the base path ti cost that team 1 run or if they hit a foul ball it cost them 2 runs.

Other sports don't go insane with the rules like golf. Bowling has what? 1 Rule? Imagine in softball if a player makes contact with a leaf while on the base path ti cost that team 1 run or if they hit a foul ball it cost them 2 runs.

So what? The game is what it is.

In David's bag....

I agree, golf does have a lot of rules, but most are self imposed rules.  If you're playing ready golf, and I'm at my ball ready to hit and you're near yours I'm not watching you hit yours with binoculars to ensure your backswing doesn't hit a leaf.

Bowling by it's nature is a simple game, but there are actually nine pages of rules for bowling in league competition which is equivilent to what golfers wishing to maintain a USGA or other handicap need to follow.

Originally Posted by Grumpter

Joe Paradiso

I do my best to always play by the rules but have made mistakes at times due to ignorance on my part.  I also have to admit that when the course is very crowded and I can't find my ball or find it OB, I'll drop one near there and take 2 strokes.  I don't like doing that and usually I hit provisional ball if I have any doubt but you sometime, not often, are surprised.  If the course isn't crowded I make the "walk of shame" back to the original ball position and hit it again.

I certainly play with a lot of folks that don't follow the rules and I don't let it bother me much.  I am go along to get along sort of fellow on this subject, unless it is a competition then it has to be by the rules or I won't play.  Even those formats that are not recognized by USGA there has to be rules and usually there is a rule sheet supplied by the organizers.  My Dad told me if you're playing for money make sure you know the rules (and this applies to a lot more than golf because as far as I know my Dad never held a club in his hands) and he was right.

Butch

Originally Posted by David in FL

So what? The game is what it is.

So? Just because there are rules doesn't mean they (some) aren't stupid. Yesterday I played with a guy who was obviously fairly new to the game. Finally on the 17th hole he stripes a drive dead center down the fairway. We get up to his ball and it is sitting in a huge divot. Best he can do is catch the top of the ball with his next swing which sends the ball 10 feet in the air and 3 yards backwards. Nice, 1 stroke penalty for hitting a perfect shot. It's a stupid rule IMO.

So? Just because there are rules doesn't mean they (some) aren't stupid. Yesterday I played with a guy who was obviously fairly new to the game. Finally on the 17th hole he stripes a drive dead center down the fairway. We get up to his ball and it is sitting in a huge divot. Best he can do is catch the top of the ball with his next swing which sends the ball 10 feet in the air and 3 yards backwards. Nice, 1 stroke penalty for hitting a perfect shot. It's a stupid rule IMO.

I don't like having to bounce the damn basketball when I walk with it either. Stupid rule..... The game is what it is. Btw...last week I was playing with a guy who hit a dead pull right into the woods. It bounced off a tree, hit a cart path and ended up in the center of the fairway.....further down than the longest drive he'd ever hit. Terrible shot and NO penalty. Silly game......

In David's bag....

Quote:

Originally Posted by Grumpter

I don't like having to bounce the damn basketball when I walk with it either. Stupid rule.....

The game is what it is.

Btw...last week I was playing with a guy who hit a dead pull right into the woods. It bounced off a tree, hit a cart path and ended up in the center of the fairway.....further down than the longest drive he'd ever hit. Terrible shot and NO penalty.

Silly game......

Forget it David.  Some people just don't get it.  Might as well argue with the wall.

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

I don't like having to bounce the damn basketball when I walk with it either. Stupid rule.....

The game is what it is.

Btw...last week I was playing with a guy who hit a dead pull right into the woods. It bounced off a tree, hit a cart path and ended up in the center of the fairway.....further down than the longest drive he'd ever hit. Terrible shot and NO penalty.

Silly game......

Do you really think the game of golf would be weakened if the rule was changed so that a ball stopping in the fairway currently in play and landing in a divot was allowed to be moved up to 1 club length no closer to the hole? It is what it is until it isn't anymore.

IMO the game of basketball would surely be weakened if you no longer had to dribble the ball.

P.S. How does saying 'it is what it is' validate your argument'? Everything in life is what it is. It adds nothing to your stance making such a statement.

Forget it David.  Some people just don't get it.  Might as well argue with the wall.

I know..... When they ask, why are you banging your head against that wall? Sometimes the answer is " because it feels so good when I stop!"

In David's bag....

The rules define the game, so anything that circumvents the rules in theory weakens it.  We've seen some similar rules changed recently so maybe the USGA and R&A; are listening, but in the meantime, play it from the divot if you're counting the round towards your official handicap.

If you're not playing in a tournament or for official handicap no one cares which rules you follow, so move the ball anyplace you want.

Quote:

Do you really think the game of golf would be weakened if the rule was changed so that a ball stopping in the fairway currently in play and landing in a divot was allowed to be moved up to 1 club length no closer to the hole? It is what it is until it isn't anymore.

IMO the game of basketball would surely be weakened if you no longer had to dribble the ball.

P.S. How does saying 'it is what it is' validate your argument'? Everything in life is what it is. It adds nothing to your stance making such a statement.

Joe Paradiso

Do you really think the game of golf would be weakened if the rule was changed so that a ball stopping in the fairway currently in play and landing in a divot was allowed to be moved up to 1 club length no closer to the hole? It is what it is until it isn't anymore. IMO the game of basketball would surely be weakened if you no longer had to dribble the ball. P.S. How does saying 'it is what it is' validate your argument'? Everything in life is what it is. It adds nothing to your stance making such a statement.

What I mean is that the game of golf is what the game of golf is. Rules and all. And yes, at the very HEART of the game is the requirement that we play the ball as it lies. Sometimes good, sometimes not. Maddening to be sure, but that's golf. Anything else is some other game, pure and simple, and a game I choose not to play.....I'd rather play golf. I'll stop banging my head against this particular wall now.

In David's bag....

Note: This thread is 4251 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!