IGNORED

Big Break: Greenbrier

JetFan1983
Note: This thread is 4163 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Originally Posted by wadesworld

Yeah, and some country guy with a crazy swing and a name like "Tommy two-gloves" will never make it on the PGA tour either.

Tommy Two-Gloves may look / sound silly... But he can hit all the conventional golf shots.  You can't say the same for James.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

What's crazy is James has an NCAA Division I Championship under his belt as well as two Canadian Tour wins using that chipping style. So it does work under pressure. Maybe its what is keeping him off the PGA Tour, but I can't say that with certainty because I haven't seen much of his play yet.

I do think I'm going to try this out the next time I'm on the range though. I'm not a bad chipper, but this looks both fun to try and possibly useful to me. I doubt I ever actually use it, but it couldn't hurt to try it.

I want to see his motion though out of the rough, just to see how yippy he is. This can't possibly work unless the lie the tightish right?

Constantine

I've seen plenty of interviews from past Big Breakers that claim the pressure on the show is as bad if not worse than pressure on the Nationwide or college level so I think he can handle it.

Joe Paradiso

James didn't start using this chipping style until after he had won the NCAA's and Can Tour tourneys. This was a recent 'idea' that came to him when he got bored of golfing (and subsequently opened Kikkor).

Originally Posted by Beachcomber

Both are annoying.  Stephanie slightly less than Tom.

Does she even talk?   I just look at her and pay no attention to what she says. LOL

What's in Paul's Bag:
- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha Driver
- Big Bertha Alpha 815 3-wood
- Callaway Razr Fit 5-wood
- Callaway Big Bertha 4-5 Rescue Clubs
-- Mizuno Mx-25 six iron-gap wedge
- Mizuno Mp-T4 56degree SW
- Mizuno Mp-T11 60degree SW
- Putter- Ping Cadence Ketsch

Originally Posted by JetFan1983

What's crazy is James has an NCAA Division I Championship under his belt as well as two Canadian Tour wins using that chipping style. So it does work under pressure. Maybe its what is keeping him off the PGA Tour, but I can't say that with certainty because I haven't seen much of his play yet.

I do think I'm going to try this out the next time I'm on the range though. I'm not a bad chipper, but this looks both fun to try and possibly useful to me. I doubt I ever actually use it, but it couldn't hurt to try it.

I want to see his motion though out of the rough, just to see how yippy he is. This can't possibly work unless the lie the tightish right?

Well they have to hit over the wall next week from the advertisements.  So we will see James tested with his lob wedge as you have to flop it to get it over the wall and closest to the pin.

Quote:

Originally Posted by JetFan1983

Well they have to hit over the wall next week from the advertisements.  So we will see James tested with his lob wedge as you have to flop it to get it over the wall and closest to the pin.

Yea, I was just thinking that. We will see.

And gimpermike, thanks for that info. Didn't know he never used that during those years.

Constantine

James does some pretty quirky stuff, but he is extremely skilled.  He can pitch and chip very well conventionally, from rough or into the grain, or if the chip is too long.  He said he switched to the saucer when he started getting a little yippy on the straightforward shots.  But, this saucer pass is testament to his natural feel.  He plays completely by feel, no technical swing thoughts, or position thinking.  He told me many times that if something felt right, he would do it.  For example, I'm not sure if they'll show it, but oftentimes when hitting a bunker shot or pitch he will take the club away and then close his eyes at his change of direction.  Crazy I know!  But, whatever works.

Just keep watching, you won't be disappointed!

Liam Friedman
PGA Assistant Golf Professional
Trying to make the TOUR
Contestant on Big Break: Greenbrier

Originally Posted by MonarchGolf2010

James does some pretty quirky stuff, but he is extremely skilled.  He can pitch and chip very well conventionally, from rough or into the grain, or if the chip is too long.  He said he switched to the saucer when he started getting a little yippy on the straightforward shots.  But, this saucer pass is testament to his natural feel.  He plays completely by feel, no technical swing thoughts, or position thinking.  He told me many times that if something felt right, he would do it.  For example, I'm not sure if they'll show it, but oftentimes when hitting a bunker shot or pitch he will take the club away and then close his eyes at his change of direction.  Crazy I know!  But, whatever works.

Just keep watching, you won't be disappointed!

Surprised he hasn't switched to playing left handed yet.

whats up with Chan eating grass?  doesnt he know they use a ton of chemicals and shit to maintain the courses???  what a dumb thing to do.

• Upvote 1

Originally Posted by Pakoh

whats up with Chan eating grass?  doesnt he know they use a ton of chemicals and shit to maintain the courses???  what a dumb thing to do.

Yep, that's what I'd be worried about.

Dave :-)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Golfingdad

Yes.  There is only one thing that bothers me, but it really bothers me, and that is his unnecessarily hyperbolic reactions to mediocre shots.  "That was an UNBELIEVABLE mistake!"  Not really ... these guys aren't seasoned pros and there is obviously A LOT of pressure on them.  All of these mistakes are VERY believeable.

And, in general, I know you guys that watched last season complained about this with the girls, but now that I'm watching I can agree that the hosts and players sitting on the sidelines need to talk to the balls a lot less ... as in not at all.  And Stephanie Sparks is guilty of this one as well.  All of the extraneous "sits" and "go's" and "get up's and "get down's" are kind of annoying.

Quote:

Originally Posted by BuckeyeNut

I want to make 1 other observation, and would appreciate feedback from everyone to see if anyone agrees.   Tom Abbott absolutely annoys the hell out of me and I can't figure out how he ever got the job as host.  Surely the Golf Channel can find somebody more interesting to host the show, right???   He makes me want to pull my hair out..............   In contrast, I absolutely love Stephanie Sparks.  I have a  huge crush on her...LOL

Both are annoying.  Stephanie slightly less than Tom.  And the 'sit', 'go', 'get down' are way - WAY less annoying this season than last.  Atlantis with the girls was terrible.

Honestly being a golf game show host has to be one of the most blow your head off jobs out there. Standing out there for hours watching nobodies hit crappy golf shots.... I think Abbott should just quit.. If he does I would gladly take over for him so he does not have to suffer.

"My ball is on top of a rock in the hazard, do I get some sort of relief?"

Originally Posted by Valleygolfer

Honestly being a golf game show host has to be one of the most blow your head off jobs out there. Standing out there for hours watching nobodies hit crappy golf shots.... I think Abbott should just quit.. If he does I would gladly take over for him so he does not have to suffer.

Well, while I agree Abott is bad, I thought Vince and Stepanie were a decent pair.  I'm sure they get paid well for what they do, so I doubt they see it as torture.

As for the shots, while there certainly have been some bad ones on big break, there have been a lot of great ones too.  I think most people who trash the Big Break golfers would A)  be very surprised at how hard it is to hit those shots and B) get wiped off the course by a significant number of the big breakers in a full round.

Originally Posted by Pakoh

I'm half joking when I say this... But have you ever been to Taiwan?  They have a thing called 'Stinky Tofu' that you can get at many of the traditional eateries and night markets.  Eating grass - from a golf course - would be healthier!!

I have been assured the stuff they serve in CA was just not fermented in crap by numerious coworkers. I still couldn't eat it. It was tough enough to stay at the table........

I'm half joking when I say this... But have you ever been to Taiwan?  They have a thing called 'Stinky Tofu' that you can get at many of the traditional eateries and night markets.  Eating grass - from a golf course - would be healthier!!

Originally Posted by x129

I have been assured the stuff they serve in CA was just not fermented in crap by numerious coworkers. I still couldn't eat it. It was tough enough to stay at the table........

Hahah... They have different versions of it.

The first time I went to Taipei for business... One of the guys from our factory told me he wanted to take me out to a traditional Taiwanese dinner.  We get there, and I'm starving and need a drink bad.  This place looked like it was out of a movie... A real shady looking place in 'Taipei County' - outside of Taipei.  And this lady who owned the place served us beers, and a few other things.  We were snacking and the guy I was with just told me not to ask any questions... Just eat whatever came out.  I agreed.

So we are drinking and talking and the lady starts to bring out all these different items.  I take my chop sticks and grab what I thought was just a strange looking piece of tofu... Almost looked like 'flan' from a Mexican restaruant.  I didn't even think twice and popped it in my mount (before the rancid smell hit me).... It's in my mouth - and it was so nasty my gag reflexes kicked in immediately.  I nearly hurled, but quickly I just grabbed my beer and chugged and didn't even chew.  It was the worst taste / feeling ever.  My jaws like clinched so hard - like how you get that lock jaw feeling when you eat something really, really sour... But that sour lock jaw - combined with the gag reflexes... And the rancid smell... I started coughing - more like choking and laughing all at the same time.  Everyone in the small restaruant - all natives, were laughing and getting a kick out of me dying!! Hahhaha Never again... I will never eat Stinky Tofu again.

They tried to get me to try it at one of the night markets... Where it was deep fried.  But I was smart enough to say, 'Thank you - but NO THANK YOU!'

I guess the deep fried version isn't as bad... I had the natural - room temperature - never cooked - just fermented 'waste'.  Uuuuuuuuuuuuuuggggggggggghhhhhh

I'm pretty sure he just chips that way from tight lies...........  I highly doubt he'll use that for the flop challenge.

What's in Paul's Bag:
- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha Driver
- Big Bertha Alpha 815 3-wood
- Callaway Razr Fit 5-wood
- Callaway Big Bertha 4-5 Rescue Clubs
-- Mizuno Mx-25 six iron-gap wedge
- Mizuno Mp-T4 56degree SW
- Mizuno Mp-T11 60degree SW
- Putter- Ping Cadence Ketsch

Originally Posted by BuckeyeNut

I'm pretty sure he just chips that way from tight lies...........  I highly doubt he'll use that for the flop challenge.

They had photos of him playing from a bunker and it seemed like a conventional swing.

Note: This thread is 4163 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!