IGNORED

Anchored Putters Rules Change (Effective January 1, 2016)

mvmac
Note: This thread is 2527 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

.of course we'll ignore the question that if she WAS buying it for the quality, why would she need to buy a new one before the old one is worn out?

Brilliant

Originally Posted by Golfingdad

Quote:

Originally Posted by sacm3bill

I had no idea the stats were so high - I thought there was a significant percentage of people who bought long putters just so they wouldn't need to lean over as far when putting.

Sorry ... that is my number, not actual data that I can back up.  But, in general, people don't lean over that much less with long putters, do they?  Certainly not belly putters ... they have normal putting strokes save for the anchored part.  And even broomstickers generally already have their low hand down low enough to hold a standard length putter, in my opinion.  You take that top hand and drop it down next to the bottom hand and you're not bending over any more than you previously were.

Oh, no worries - I knew you were estimating, just meant that I didn't think anyone's estimate would be so high. But I agree with what you're saying. Also it makes sense that even if someone *were* to go to a long putter only for the bending issue, it would seem natural to *also* anchor it once they started using it.

Bill

Originally Posted by mvmac

Tim Clark and Adam Scott met with a group of reporters recently to talk about the anchoring ban, obviously the pair are against the ban and "frustrated by the lack of evidence from golf's governing bodies that using a long putter provides an advantage".

Few more comments worth noting

this is a great post.  it won't change the minds of the haters here, but hopefully the usga has a more open mind.

In my Grom Stand bag:

Driver: Ping G20, 8.5 Tour Stiff
Wood/Hybrid: G20 3W, Raylor 19*, 22*
Irons: R9 5I - SW, TM CGB LW

Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi-Mid

Favorites: Old Ranch (Seal Beach), Ike/Babe (Industry Hills), Skylinks (Long Beach), Desert Willow (Palm Desert)

Quote:

Quote:

Stacy Lewis: If I am playing match play and my opponent walks onto the first tee with a long putter, I have a smile on my face because I know they can't putt.

Originally Posted by JerseyThursday View Post

Irrelevant quote. This thread is about ANCHORED putting not long putters. After 71 pages you should have figured that out.

I am well aware of that, since 99.9% of golfers with long putters use the anchored stroke.

Bill M

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Originally Posted by ejimsmith

this is a great post.  it won't change the minds of the haters here, but hopefully the usga has a more open mind.

By extension, aren't the USGA "haters" too?

Brandon a.k.a. Tony Stark

-------------------------

The Fastest Flip in the West

Originally Posted by bplewis24

They are not haters, but they appear to be *puppets* of the R+A. Third world countries are trying to decide the USA's rules.

Follow me on twitter

Chris, although my friends call me Mr.L

Originally Posted by meenman

Quote:

Originally Posted by bplewis24

They are not haters, but they appear to be *puppets* of the R+A. Third world countries are trying to decide the USA's rules.

Yes, and just to summarize:

R&A; = haters

USGA = puppets

Anyone who agrees with the anchoring ban = drinking the kool-aid

• Upvote 1

Bill

R&A; = haters

USGA = puppets

The 3rd point is a little strong - i would summarize them as *not open minded*

Follow me on twitter

R&A; = haters

USGA = puppets

Hmm, you may be onto something.  I used to really like Kool-aid when I was younger.

Really?

Are you TRYING to be a troll, or do you really think the U.K. is a third world country?

Originally Posted by dave67az

Really?

Are you TRYING to be a troll, or do you really think the U.K. is a third world country?

Check out what the R+A covers, it is a bit more than the UK

Follow me on twitter

Quote:

Really?

Yeah dude, don't you get it? The USGA are puppets to the R&A;, who are just puppets to the third world dictators.

Bill

Quote:

Really?

Haven't you figured it out yet?  Almost every post he's made in this thread is trolling.  He is no longer worth responding to.  He hasn't had a new thought in weeks.

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

The R&A; is a governing agency that covers the entire world, save for the US and Mexico (thank you Wikipedia :)) but it's based in the UK.

Saying that third world countries "decide" stuff for the R&A; would be like saying that the US Government is controlled by Guam and Puerto Rico.

• Upvote 2

Originally Posted by Golfingdad

Saying that third world countries "decide" stuff for the R&A; would be like saying that the US Government is controlled by Guam and Puerto Rico.

Don't tempt him!

I see no point in restating the obvious, that the ban has nothing to do with any performance advantage of anchoring if such exists - that would clearly be a waste of time.

Driver: Cobra 460SZ 9.0, med.
3 Wood: Taylor stiff
3-hybrid: Nike 18 deg stiff
4-hybrid:
Taylor RBZ 22 deg regular
Irons:5-9, Mizuno MP30, steel
Wedges: PW, 52, 56, 60 Mizuno MP30
Putter: Odyssey 2-ball

I've been using a Reeso VTX broomhandle putter for the past two+ years. My putting stats are within a tenth of a stroke of my putting stats for the previous two years using a short putter. The major difference of the anchored stroke for me is that it took out the tension of my 67-year old nervous hands and made putting much more enjoyable. That said, I am now working with a new Odessey DART, possibly the ugliest putter ever made, and find that it targets nicely and with an oversized grip, and newly learned shoulder rotation stroke, seems to work quite well. I'm not ready to take it out on the course yet but I remain positive that I can revert to the short putter again should I have to. Will I miss the broomhandle? Not much. It is a nuisance to carry and the butt of tiresome golf buddy jokes.

The 3rd point is a little strong - i would summarize them as *not open minded*

The irony.

Bill M

Note: This thread is 2527 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!