Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
mvmac

Anchored Putters Rules Change (Effective January 1, 2016)

Note: This thread is 873 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

1,929 posts / 68236 viewsLast Reply

Recommended Posts

Originally Posted by SCfanatic35

The only place I have heard anyone talking about this topic is on this site. The only guy at my club who anchors his putter, doesn't really care too much. His attitude is I will just have to practice more with my old putter and adjust.

I hear it being talked about constantly, not just at my club but with customers/friends that are fellow golfers.

The only reason the guys at my club do not get more involved is because they figure they will all be dead before a ban ever goes in - that and they do not get passionate about anything other than a beer price increase at the club.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Want to hide this ad? Register for free today!

Originally Posted by meenman

I hear it being talked about constantly, not just at my club but with customers/friends that are fellow golfers.

I don't. And we have a massive indoor putting green and passionate golfers who come by and putt and hit balls.

I suspect you hear about it all the time because you initiate the conversations.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Quote:
Originally Posted by newtogolf View Post

The ones most affected will be the pro golfers and tournament golfers that currently use an anchored stroke and will now  have to figure out how to putt with a conventional stroke.  Some pro's who are considering the use of an anchored stroke or fear future regulations regarding the stroke or technology may also join the cause.

The problem for the USGA is that while pro golfers are the minority of their membership they are their best marketing tool.  You don't want your spokespeople out there trashing your organization or openly on television ignoring your rules.

Yes.  But this problem will solve itself.  If a ban goes into effect, the top pros who anchor will either adapt and continue to be top pros, which, in and of itself would make it a non issue,  (Nobody complains to the ref about the pass interference call he missed if they scored a touchdown on the play anyway) or they won't adapt and then ... they won't be top pros anymore.  Once that happens, they will stop being part of the best marketing tool and become irrelevant.  They will simply be replaced by other great golfers who can putt without anchoring.

Nobody is going to notice something that isn't there.

Quote:

Originally Posted by meenman View Post

The general public is not too bright - even on here, a forum full of hard core golf enthusiasts, we have people thinking that there is already a ban in effect or that the actual putters are being banned.

But not really ... you are simply spinning what he said (and explained to you a second time) to fit your narrative.  They DECIDED to propose a ban on anchoring.  What's hard to understand about that?

Quote:

The USGA, in making inane rules to keep up with *tradition*, will turn off prospective players. For a body that is supposed to be making it's rules simpler, it is only making them more confusing to newbies.

Newbies could give a rat's rear end about tradition and rules.  They just want to have fun.  Not being able to use square grooved wedges or belly putters does not make the game less fun for newbies.  It's not turning off anybody.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCfanatic35 View Post

The only place I have heard anyone talking about this topic is on this site. The only guy at my club who anchors his putter, doesn't really care too much. His attitude is I will just have to practice more with my old putter and adjust.

And I bet if you polled most of the guys who are even the most vocal on this very thread, you're not going to find too many that care all that much.  I certainly don't.

I think it's a completely unnecessary rule (per Stretch's previous arguments that its just a niche fad and no threat at all) but I also think that it's a perfectly fine rule that isn't going to bother too many people (per Stretch's argument that its just a niche fad and no threat at all).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Originally Posted by Golfingdad

But not really ... you are simply spinning what he said (and explained to you a second time) to fit your narrative.  They DECIDED to propose a ban on anchoring.  What's hard to understand about that?

He doesn't think that a decision was made ...... yet he's arguing vigorously against it.  Go figure.

And what's with the straw man arguments from meenman?  I don't see anyone here not understanding that the ban is not currently in effect, or that it is anchoring that is being banned not the long putter per se.  Strange.

I understand that it will be hard on a few pro golfers when the ban goes into effect.  They will simply have to adapt or disappear from the pro game.   If they decide to adapt, they had better plan for the transition well in advance - they've been give ample warning.  At some point they should stop their whining and accept reality.

The argument that somehow banning anchoring will significantly affect the general public's enthusiasm for the game of golf is patently silly.  Desperate, if you ask me - or simply marching to a sponsor's tune.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Originally Posted by iacas

I don't. And we have a massive indoor putting green and passionate golfers who come by and putt and hit balls.

I suspect you hear about it all the time because you initiate the conversations.

You cant prove that I initiate anything! Actually it is usually because some moron comes up to me telling me that my putter is illegal.

Originally Posted by Chas

He doesn't think that a decision was made ...... yet he's arguing vigorously against it.  Go figure.

I understand that it will be hard on a few pro golfers if the ban goes into effect.  They will simply have to adapt or disappear from the pro game.

If they decide to adapt, they had better plan for the transition well in advance - they've been give ample warning.  At some point they should stop their whining and accept reality.

If you think that this proposed *ruling* is set in stone - you are nothing short of delusional. The USGA is doing nothing but making themselves irrelevant - you can not rule anyone when they are not going to listen to you.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I don't think it's set in stone - we'll see what happens.  But the odds that a ban will go into effect increased greatly when USGA's decision was announced.  It'll be interesting to see what happens.

So no, I won't be buying that shiny new long putter to add to my collection just yet - even though I know full well that long putters will not be banned.  I don't want to own one if anchoring the blasted thing becomes illegal.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Originally Posted by meenman

You cant prove that I initiate anything! Actually it is usually because some moron comes up to me telling me that my putter is illegal.

LOL

Now we're getting somewhere.   That would royally p*** me off as well.

(are you sure these people don't know your views on the subject and aren't just pulling you chain??? )

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Originally Posted by Chas

I don't think it's set in stone - we'll see what happens.  But the odds that a ban will go into effect increased greatly when USGA's decision was announced.  It'll be interesting to see what happens.

So no, I won't be buying that shiny new long putter to add to my collection just yet - even though I know full well that long putters will not be banned.  I don't want to own one if the blasted thing becomes illegal.

Of course it increased - before it was 0% so it could only go up. I'd put it at a 40% chance right now (but that is far down from the 80% chance I saw a couple of months ago)

Remember, the putter is not going to be illegal (possibly the stroke.)

Actually now is the best time to buy one. I'm contemplating buying all the undervalued ones on ebay so I can profit greatly when the (proposed) ban finally dies.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Originally Posted by Chas

LOL

Now we're getting somewhere.   That would royally p*** me off as well.

(are you sure these people don't know your views on the subject and aren't just pulling you chain???)

They truly do not understand the (proposed) rule change. People read headlines, but are too lazy to read the story.

So I have to explain to them that it is the stroke and not the putter - which probably just confuses them more.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Well you have a point there .... it's like an undervalued stock from your point of view.  Others might think that the company is circling the drain of course and that's why shares are down to a dime.

Since I have no real idea of the chances of the anchoring ban actually taking effect I won't be plonking down the cash for a broomstick - not just yet.

See my new sig line old chap .......

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Originally Posted by meenman

The USGA is doing nothing but making themselves irrelevant

The USGA and R&A; (don't forget they have a far larger population to cater for than the USGA) aren't going away. The rules are only part of what they do. And what other organisation has got the money and resources to maintain and publish a new set to every club member in the world (as the R&A; does). Remember also, the words of the Rules of Golf are copyrighted.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Originally Posted by Stretch

Did Moses give you a free six iron when he descended from the mount and made you the arbiter of these matters? Why should your opinion be accorded any more weight than mine, or indeed anyone else in the community of all of us who play -- and love -- golf?

If there is pushback, the logical conclusion is that the ruling bodies have overreached in this case. And they need to learn a lesson. You govern by the consent of the governed.

You don't have to grant my opinion any more weight, but the merits and objectivity of the arguments speak for themselves.

Originally Posted by meenman

Now talk about limiting to 10 clubs or removing woods - now the rounds get longer and even less people play. Too many on here cry that a 4 hour round is too long. If 5 becomes the norm, then everyone will suffer.

Today it's my long putter. Tomorrow it's your hybrid. To the traditionalists that think we should all be playing persimmons - your tradition means nothing when a cheap muni becomes a $200/round.

Ha!  Reminds me of a news broadcast.

Originally Posted by meenman

Bottom line, the game needs younger people to start playing for it to grow. We all die someday and with no replacements, the game will die. What the USGA is trying to do is causing them to look like stuffy *elitests*, which WILL hurt the growth of the game.

This is such bull that I doubt even you believe it.

Originally Posted by iacas

I suspect you hear about it all the time because you initiate the conversations.

lol.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Originally Posted by meenman

Bottom line, the game needs younger people to start playing for it to grow. We all die someday and with no replacements, the game will die. What the USGA is trying to do is causing them to look like stuffy *elitests*, which WILL hurt the growth of the game.

I dunno - I got into golf because I'm a stuffy elitist and thought I'd fit in...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This is a little off subject, but one poster said that the policies of the USGA are keeping young people away from the game. I play often, and I don't see a lot of young golfers. I play at a good course that is reasonably priced. To be honest, I don't know why young people are not playing, but I doubt they really care about the USGA.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Originally Posted by caniac6

This is a little off subject, but one poster said that the policies of the USGA are keeping young people away from the game. I play often, and I don't see a lot of young golfers. I play at a good course that is reasonably priced. To be honest, I don't know why young people are not playing, but I doubt they really care about the USGA.

I agree, and doubt that it has anything to do with long putters.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Originally Posted by caniac6

This is a little off subject, but one poster said that the policies of the USGA are keeping young people away from the game. I play often, and I don't see a lot of young golfers. I play at a good course that is reasonably priced. To be honest, I don't know why young people are not playing, but I doubt they really care about the USGA.

Actually, I think that is currently on-subject, as a portion of the anti-ban argument (including that guy from TaylorMade) appears to be that the ban would hurt the growth of the game and an anchored-putting-stroke ban could eventually kill the sport.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Originally Posted by bplewis24

Actually, I think that is currently on-subject, as a portion of the anti-ban argument (including that guy from TaylorMade) appears to be that the ban would hurt the growth of the game and an anchored-putting-stroke ban could eventually kill the sport.

Golf just tends to be a game that people pick up later in life.  Adults generally don't play baseball, football, and other sports.  When they can't do that anymore, they turn to golf, which they can play until they are very old.  I don't see that as a problem that needs to be fixed, it just makes golf different.

I think its more likely that golf turns away old people anyway.  Kids aren't giving up on golf because they can't use a short putter.  People with back problems might, though.  So I don't think the putter ban affects growth so much as attrition.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Originally Posted by dsc123

People with back problems might, though.  So I don't think the putter ban affects growth so much as attrition.

The length of the putter might help but anchoring makes no difference. It does not relieve or prevent back problems. Bending over may be a problem but then how do they mark and lift the ball?

But when will people realise there is no proposal to ban the clubs.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Note: This thread is 873 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  



×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Welcome to TST! Signing up is free, and you'll see fewer ads and can talk with fellow golf enthusiasts! By using TST, you agree to our Terms of Use, our Privacy Policy, and our Guidelines.

The popup will be closed in 10 seconds...