IGNORED

Does having multiple brands bother you?

SloverUT
Note: This thread is 4198 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Uh, look at my sig.

This started out as a "car trunk bag", but now sits in the house with the others and is the one I play most.

Don

In the bag:

Driver: PING 410 Plus 9 degrees, Alta CB55 S  Fairway: Callaway Rogue 3W PX Even Flow Blue 6.0; Hybrid: Titleist 818H1 21* PX Even Flow Blue 6.0;  Irons: Titleist 718 AP1 5-W2(53*) Shafts- TT AMT Red S300 ; Wedges Vokey SM8 56-10D Putter: Scotty Cameron 2016 Newport 2.5  Ball: Titleist AVX or 2021 ProV1

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Originally Posted by David in FL

Play what works best for you. Period.

Agreed.

Having said that, I haven't gotten used to the idea of split iron sets, even with different models from the same company (Mizuno players seem more open to this than others, from what I've read) let alone different irons from different companies.

I can deal with the wedges being different that the rest of the irons, and even hybrids of different brands than the rest of the irons. And woods different than the rest of these.

Having said that, I play an Acer XF driver and 4 wood (built 'em myself), and Adams a7 hybrids (2-4) and irons (5-SW). Mostly because (1) I don't have the time to try new things, (2) I don't have the money to afford them even if I had the time, and (3) I don't have the game (yet) for it to make a whole lot of difference even if I had the time and money.

Bob E.

Dallas, TX

I just bought new this year and it all started with a Nike Sasquatch Sumo gifted from a family member - the new technology was so great I decided to replace the old 20 year set top to bottom.

Nike woods (all VR Pros (limited Fairway, Str8 Fit Driver) - But I like the look and feel of the fairway woods so much I switch to the same flavor driver on purpose.  It was what I hoped for.

Mizuno Irons - 4-PW (MP53)

Mizuno Wedges - PW was with the iron set, 50 and 60 degree were on sale (JPX line) and a different model, SW from 15-20 years ago.  I was looking for a specific yardage range on full swings and this did the trick.  I don't get much difference between wedge brands, so these were all cost based.

Putter - cheapest mallet I could find with the alignment features I was looking for - I think it's a Lynx and I'm very happy with it for now.

It's been a good summer back - went from mid 90's to lower 80's through about 25 rounds.  I think I have a good base to start from finally.  I'm sure I'm now plateau'd and will have to get lessons and make incremental improvements going forward.

And - the new tech is DEFINITELY very cool.  weird that it's both more forgiving AND more controllable/workable compared to my old clubs.

Bill - 

Originally Posted by Bobtrumpet

Agreed.

Having said that, I haven't gotten used to the idea of split iron sets, even with different models from the same company (Mizuno players seem more open to this than others, from what I've read) let alone different irons from different companies.

I can deal with the wedges being different that the rest of the irons, and even hybrids of different brands than the rest of the irons. And woods different than the rest of these.

Having said that, I play an Acer XF driver and 4 wood (built 'em myself), and Adams a7 hybrids (2-4) and irons (5-SW). Mostly because (1) I don't have the time to try new things, (2) I don't have the money to afford them even if I had the time, and (3) I don't have the game (yet) for it to make a whole lot of difference even if I had the time and money.

A lot of guys do this, even TaylorMade, Nike, Callaway and  Titleist guys, but they're on mini-tours and such. It might be more common with Mizuno players since they hang onto their old sets and from version to version they play and feel very similar.

Sounds like those people who snicker at you need to get a life.

• Upvote 1

Whats in my :sunmountain: C-130 cart bag?

Woods: :mizuno: JPX 850 9.5*, :mizuno: JPX 850 15*, :mizuno: JPX-850 19*, :mizuno: JPX Fli-Hi #4, :mizuno: JPX 800 Pro 5-PW, :mizuno: MP T-4 50-06, 54-09 58-10, :cleveland: Smart Square Blade and :bridgestone: B330-S

Okay, since the original question was about whether or not multiple brands bothered us, I can honestly say it has in the past, but I'm working on it. There have to be at least 3 different brands in my bag . If there are only 2 brands I can't stop thinking about replacing the ones in the minority. If there's a mish mash then I can pretend each one is the best possible selection for me and just go play.

Originally Posted by Datsyuk

A lot of guys do this, even TaylorMade, Nike, Callaway and  Titleist guys, but they're on mini-tours and such. It might be more common with Mizuno players since they hang onto their old sets and from version to version they play and feel very similar.

Nike VR Pro Driver

Taylormade R11 3w

Taylormade RBZ Tour 3H

Mizuno mx-25 4i & 5i

mx-200 6i-9i

Cleveland cg11 wedges

Odyssey 2ball

No it doesn't bother me... I play whatever feels right and gives me confidence.  Does aesthetics play a factor into what I game?  Sure.  A lot of the top OEM's supply solid clubs.  So things like looks (quality of the design, color, etc.) and sound of the club are factors that come into play when I decide what I'm going to purchase - and ultimately game.

i have bridgestone driver, cleveland fairway woods, bridgestone irons, cleveland wedges and some random brand putter that i picked up in the shop and didn't want to put down. If they work for you go with it i say.

I understand what you mean. As a teenager i played field hockey, i always used composite sticks and when i went to an elite national coaching clinic the "old school" coach started questioning my on why i didn't use a traditional wooden stick. I simply explained that i didn't care what the stick was made out of, as long as it feels good i'll use it which closed him down pretty quick.

Callaway Driver, Impex fairway woods, Callaway irons and wedges, only because I just bought one to replace my Taylormade 56 and Vokey 58 Wedges.

Odyssey and Nike Putters.

In my  bag:

Driver, Callaway Diablo Edge Tour 9.5 stiff

3, 5 woods: Callaway Diablo Edge Tour 15,18 degrees Stiff

2 hybrid: Callaway Diable Edge Tour 18 degrees R (out when the 5 wood is in)

3,6 hybrids: Callaway Diablo Edge 21 S and 30 degrees R

4,5 hybrids: Callaway Razr X HL 24 and 27 degrees Stiff

7-AW irons: Callaway Razr HL graphite R shafts 

SW 54 Callaway X Series Jaws CC Slate Fujikura Graphite Stiff

Putter: Odessey White Ice 1 Blade Putter. 

Ball...looking for any ball that hates water, sand, long grass, and getting lost in the woods. 

I can't find any, so forced to use ones that seem to love all the above. 

You tell me.

:tmade: R15 14* Matrix Black Tie 7m3

:adams: Speedline Super S 3w & 5w Matrix Radix HD S VI

:callaway: X-12 4-PW Memphis 10

IONNOVEX  Type S GDT 50*, 54* & 62* Mitsubishi Rayon Kuro Kage Black 80ir

:odyssey: Tri-Ball SRT

-Landon

I don't like it, mostly because I happen to think most clubs perform similarly as long as the clubs are in the same class, and provided you are fitted. Honestly I just find good deals on clubs and try not worry about their race as a result. If I bought everything brand new, it would all be the same brand. Since my new i20s are PING, I would go with all PING. Found a barely used i20 3w for $60, but had I not done that, I would probably have a RBZ instead since there are a ton of those on the used market!

I can't imagine why a mixed bag would be looked down on in any way.    I would look at someone who went all one brand throughout their set as someone who is letting brand loyalty influence their game more than performance (unless they're paid to play the brand).

For most manufacturers the golf market isn't so lucrative that they can afford to have extensive R&D; in every facet of the game, so many have developed a certain specialty over the years.   While the real big guys have a good competent line from putter through driver, there are "best of breed" niches that exist.      Unless you're being paid to play one manufacturer's clubs, it seems that choosing from the best of breed can help us maximize our game, particularly when each of us has completely individual swings.    The best 3W for you may not be the best for me, etc. etc.

Over the past year I've slowly overhauled my equipment so that I think each club is best suited for me, and that's resulted in a pretty mixed bag:  Mizuno irons, Titleist wedges, Callaway driver, Tour Edge Exotic 3W, Adams hybrid, and Scotty Putter.

Multiple brands are fine. It's what works that counts.

I don't like to mix brands in the following categories. If I find a 4 Hybrid that works, I'll pick up a 5 Hybrid with the same head and shaft.

Fairways

Hybrid

Irons

Wedges

Ping G400 Max 9/TPT Shaft, TEE EX10 Beta 4, 5 wd, PXG 22 HY, Mizuno JPX919F 5-GW, TItleist SM7 Raw 55-09, 59-11, Bettinardi BB39

Originally Posted by Mr. Desmond

Multiple brands are fine. It's what works that counts.

I don't like to mix brands in the following categories. If I find a 4 Hybrid that works, I'll pick up a 5 Hybrid with the same head and shaft.

Fairways

Hybrid

Irons

Wedges

I'd agree with this.  I do the same with golf balls... TP5 is the only thing that I have in my bag right now.

Note: This thread is 4198 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!