IGNORED

Anybody get fitted at Dick's?

jetsknicks1
Note: This thread is 4166 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Originally Posted by Bobtrumpet

I went over to the local PGA Superstore at lunch today and inquired about the Mizuno Shaft Optimizer system. I basically wanted to use the results to help narrow down shaft selection for my current clubs, but in the back of my mind I may want to get a set of JPX-800s or 825s. The salesman in the fitting area set me up with a JPX-825 head and a shaft and away we went.

While not a full-on club fitting, which can take 1-2 hours, it did an acceptable job of looking at my swing parameters and selecting a set of shafts, along with club length and lie angle, that seemed to work for me. No charge.   I also hit some shots off of a lie board using heads with different lie angles and shafts of varying lengths to see which would work better for me.

I had to get back to work, otherwise I could have spent more time looking at shaft options and lengths (within the limits of what they have on the cart) and dialing them in based on the simulator responses (not sure what system they use). The salesman seemed reasonably knowledgeable (at least he wasn't trying to blow smoke) and he gave me the fitting sheet with the Mizuno results and the impact stickers (face and lie angle) from my test hits.

I would recommend the Mizuno Shaft Optimizer system and fitting cart as a decent starting point for club selection (especially with a reasonably trained operator). All the better if you can get to use it at an outdoor facility to look at real ball flight. It will give you a good start as to type of club and shafts to look at, even if you are not looking to buy Mizuno.

Thanks. I think I'm going to take some time this weekend and check out bothe Dick's & Watts to see what they have to offer.

my get up and go musta got up and went..

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

If your handicap is really a 22 and you're not extra tall or extra short - I would just go with off the rack clubs.  Something with Regular or Uniflex shafts.  Something you could do in your price range is get a set of used Ping's - they are available in various lie angles and they have a chart that you can use to size yourself.  I bought myself a set of used Ping I5's that were 1 degree upright for around $300.  I also have a set of Callaway Big Berthas that are standard lie - and hit them just fine.  My height is 6'2", btw.  I know a lot of people promote the idea of getting fit from day 1.  I'm sure that's great if you can afford it - but I don't think you should feel like you *need* it.  I have played a lot and improved a lot with off the rack clubs and I am sure I will do a lot more of both before I go for a fitting.

I disagree with this. A handicap is no indication of strength, speed, or rhythm. If, for example, someone swung their driver 120mph but was a beginner at golf, a regular shaft would hurt their development (and yes I understand said person should dial their swing down a notch, but that would still be faster than recommended for R flex). I would recommend getting fit so that you know your equipment is right for you. Play, practice, improve. If you outgrow your first clubs then so be it, but building a swing around clubs not tailored to you just leads to a swing with more compensations (and that's just simple lie angle and shaft length). Like everything else, having the proper tools will serve to enhance your golfing experience. Also, it might not be so bad to get a fitting in the store and buy your clubs online. Some Internet retailers don't have the high overhead that the large retailers have and they don't have to mark up as much. You may be able to pay for your fitting and buy elsewhere and save some money.

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

Originally Posted by billchao

Also, it might not be so bad to get a fitting in the store and buy your clubs online. Some Internet retailers don't have the high overhead that the large retailers have and they don't have to mark up as much. You may be able to pay for your fitting and buy elsewhere and save some money.

Yep. The irons I will likely buy are $449 new on ebay and $875 in the store.

Dave :-)

I was at Dick's today looking at some Calloway Black Razor irons, on sale for $399.00. Anybody familiar with these?

my get up and go musta got up and went..

Originally Posted by Dave2512

Quote:

Originally Posted by billchao

Also, it might not be so bad to get a fitting in the store and buy your clubs online. Some Internet retailers don't have the high overhead that the large retailers have and they don't have to mark up as much. You may be able to pay for your fitting and buy elsewhere and save some money.

Yep. The irons I will likely buy are $449 new on ebay and $875 in the store.

Please read the threads here and on other forums about fake/counterfeit clubs on Ebay and other on-line stores. The ones you refer to may not be, but for that big of a price differential I would be *very* suspicious.

Bob E.

Dallas, TX

With most legitimate online retailers, the price will be the same as most manufacturers basically price-fix their product - you may be able to save sales tax (which may be offset by shipping anyway.) Anything ridiculously cheaper online will be counterfeit.

Follow me on twitter

Chris, although my friends call me Mr.L

Originally Posted by meenman

With most legitimate online retailers, the price will be the same as most manufacturers basically price-fix their product - you may be able to save sales tax (which may be offset by shipping anyway.) Anything ridiculously cheaper online will be counterfeit.

MSRP is manufacturer's suggested retail price. An OEM can no more dictate what you sell their product for than they can dictate what products of theirs to buy and how many (they do have the power to influence these decisions in other ways, however). You can discount their product however much you want, but at a certain point, you cannot advertise that price, which is a moot point for auctions like eBay.

I am not suggesting that counterfeiting golf equipment not a multi-billion dollar industry, nor am I saying the potential of buying a fake isn't out there, but you cannot assume that everything not MSRP online is counterfeit. It's not like I'm advocating buying the newest set of Mizuno clubs for $200.

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

I went to the TItleist Tour Van fitting at the local course and it was awesome.  Ping was there a few days later and a friend went and he had a great experience from them as well.  No cost to either of us.  I ordered a driver that day for well under the price in the clubhouse. Not sure how seasonal the Tour Van is, but I'd sure go back.

Then I was fit for irons later this summer at Golfsmith.  I had my mind made up on brand before I went from research and hitting a friend's irons of the same brand.  The fitter talked me into a stiffer shaft than I felt right about, but it has turned out that he was right.  No cost when I ordered that day, but I don't recall what it would have been had I not purchased the irons...

Seeing your swing #'s on the swing monitor, Tracman, etc... is a very cool experience.  Go for it!

Cart Bag   910 D2 Driver 10.5*, F10 Hybrid 19*, AP2 712 Irons 3-W  56* and 60*

Custom Shop Junk Yard Dog - Laguna 2

Note: This thread is 4166 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!