IGNORED

New Pics Added! PING debuts it's 2013 Line: G25 driver, fairway, hybrid, G25 irons and ScottsdaleTR Putters

mvmac
Note: This thread is 4103 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Ping staff players Hunter Mahan and Bubba Watson used last week's World Challenge to debut a handful of new company products, including the G25 driver and fairway woods (Mahan and Watson) and a new Scottsdale TR putter (Mahan).  Mahan was hitting a G25 Driver (9.5 degrees) as well as a 15-degree G25 fairway wood.

Watson was playing a G25 Driver with his signature pink crown and graphics (8.5 degrees) and a 16.5-degree G25 fairway wood. Full details aren't out yet on the driver, but it features the same adjustable hosel found on the company's Ping Anser , introduced this summer.  PING says this is their largest-profile, most forgiving head design. According to PING, "Golfers can optimize launch conditions for maximum distance through a lightweight, aerodynamic adjustable-hosel design using Trajectory TuningTechnology. With a PING wrench, golfers can add or subtract one-half degree of loft to the 8.5°, 9.5°, 10.5° and 12° heads. The adjustable-hosel design maintains the same outer diameter and mass of PING’s fixed hosels."  The G25 is scheduled to be available in mid-February.

Some info on the irons.  From PING

Quote:
A multi-material cavity badge further enhances sound and feel. The progressive sole widths provide higher-launching, more-forgiving long irons, and short irons with added playability and control. A sleeker design featuring thinner top lines and moderate offset offers a look that will appeal to a wide variety of golfers looking for a high-launching, extremely forgiving game-improvement model. The attractive new dark, non-glare matte finish eliminates reflections and helps the golfer focus.

The new Scottsdale TR putter. the TR stands for True Roll, features Ping's first grooved insert. Ping engineers designed the insert with grooves that have variable depths across the width of the insert. The grooves are deeper in the center of the insert and become shallower towards the heel and toe. This pattern is designed to counteract the typical ballspeed loss on off-center hits by, in effect, reducing the ball velocity through the deeper grooves in the center of the face.

Quote:
Distance control typically is only applied to how a player hits their irons. Everyone wants to hit his or her driver as far as possible, for example. Tiger Woods has often said he wants to consistently be pin high with his approach shots to give himself a chance a to shoot his lowest score. Distance is important from tee to green, but perhaps even more so on the putting surfaces. After all in order to make a putt a player has to marry speed and line in order for the ball to be accepted by the hole. Leave it to PING to come up with a new technology that improves a player’s speed and distance control with a putter. The Phoenix, AZ-based Company has created a face insert called TR, which stands for True Roll. The insert is a part of the new Scottsdale putter line that will be available at retail starting in February.

The company, which knows a few things when it comes to grooves, underwent an extensive research project with respect to putters. “It was a broad approach where we studied grooves and different inserts to determine the relationship between launch angle and spin rates in a putter,” explained Marty Jertson, Sr. Design Engineer at PING. “On longer putts, say from 30 feet, there is a higher statistical area of misses on the putter face than from 10 feet,” he said. “We found that deeper grooves, placed in the sweet spot of the putter face slow the speed of the ball when it starts rolling. Typically players find the middle of the putter face on shorter putts and begin to miss either on the heel or toe when faced with longer distances. By shallowing out the groove depth towards the heel and toe it speeds up mishits relative to the center hits,” he explained. Leaving yourself a 3 or 4-foot putt for par can get old rather quickly. The TR technology is intended to reduce that annoying distance players can be faced with too many times over the course of a round. “On a 25 foot putt, our testing showed a half inch mishit towards either the heel or toe using the TR technology produced basically the same ball speed versus a center hit,” Jertson said. In drivers, moment of inertia (MOI) has been the common ally to help stability at impact with off center hits. Putters have incorporated MOI, especially in mallet style models over the years, to help create stability on off center impact. However, energy is lost and ball speed is influenced. The TR insert in the Scottsdale line provides game improvement technology and helps players of all handicaps control their distance on the greens. PING said the Scottsdale TR insert has 47% more consistent ball velocity in its 9 test positions used on the putter face.

The Scottsdale TR putter line will debut in February in 12 models, including three new designs: Grayhawk, Tatum and Carefree, which is a long putter. The MSRP on the traditional models will be $162.50, while the mallet versions will be $192.50. The belly/long putters will have an MSRP of $235 each. PING is offering adjustability in length on its standard putters, from 31” to 38”. There will be a slight upcharge of $35 if consumers want this feature. All Scottsdale TR putters fall within PING’s “Fit for Stroke” models.

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

The G25 looks great ! I didn't like the aesthetics of the G20, it looks like the I20 and G20 had a baby and that`s what we get.  As for the putters, the blade putter looks very nice too.

Titleist 913D2 9.5 (UST VTS 65)

Titleist 913F 15 (Diamana S+)

Titleist 913H 19 (Diamana S+)

Titleist 714 AP2 (4-PW) (DG XP-95)

Titleist Vokey SM5 (52,56,58) (DG XP-95)

Ping Anser 2 Classic

The G25 looks legit. This is definitely a club I want to test.  I'd like to see some pictures of the crown posted here on TST... And not spy pics taken from other sites.  Mvmac, do you have any access to posting something from your sources?

Originally Posted by Beachcomber

The G25 looks legit. This is definitely a club I want to test.  I'd like to see some pictures of the crown posted here on TST... And not spy pics taken from other sites.  Mvmac, do you have any access to posting something from your sources?

No, I won't be able to take any pics until the PGA Show

Mike McLoughlin

Yup - G25 looks fantastic...cannot wait to get to try it out.  Anyone know what the release date is?

Will make for a nice upgrade on my G15...

Originally Posted by petermccarthy

Yup - G25 looks fantastic...cannot wait to get to try it out.  Anyone know what the release date is?

Will make for a nice upgrade on my G15...

I read somewhere that they are planning to hit retail in February (after the PGA show in Orlando).

Like the look of this a lot. I am thinking that my 2013 golf budget is going to have to accommodate either a G25 or an Anser with a Matrix White Tie in it.

Stretch.

"In the process of trial and error, our failed attempts are meant to destroy arrogance and provoke humility." -- Master Jin Kwon

I read somewhere that they are planning to hit retail in February (after the PGA show in Orlando).

Yeah mid Feb

Originally Posted by Stretch

Like the look of this a lot. I am thinking that my 2013 golf budget is going to have to accommodate either a G25 or an Anser with a Matrix White Tie in it.

Try to get fit or test them out first.  Two different heads.  Anser is a spin killer.

Mike McLoughlin

For sure Mike. Nice thing is that now they'll both be on the same tip, so it's easy to test head-to-head with the same shaft. To me that's the biggest benefit of Ping's nod to "adjustability".

Stretch.

"In the process of trial and error, our failed attempts are meant to destroy arrogance and provoke humility." -- Master Jin Kwon

• 3 weeks later...

Reporting some leaked pics of the G25 irons and G25 fairway.  Some info on the irons

Progressive Sole Widths

The sole widths vary (wide to narrow) from the 4-iron through pitching wedge to provide higher-launching, more forgiving long irons, and short irons with added playability and control.

Sleeker Profile
A thin top line and moderate offset provides a look which appeals to a wide variety of golfers looking for a game improvement model.

Mike McLoughlin

The G25 irons look like the i20s. Good news is now I can get a price break on the G20s!

:tmade: SLDRs 14* driver, 17* fairway, 19* and 22* hybrids | :odyssey: Versa White #1 putter

:nike: XR Pro 24*, 27*, 31*, 35.5*, 40*, 45*, 50* irons | :vokey: SM4 54*, 58* wedges

Ping has announced the G25 line on their website and Facebook page...

Driver

http://ping.com/clubs/driversdetail.aspx?id=15149

Fairways

http://ping.com/clubs/driversdetail.aspx?id=15149

Hybrids

http://ping.com/clubs/hybridsdetail.aspx?id=15153

Irons

http://ping.com/clubs/ironsdetail.aspx?id=15155

The Driver/Fairways and Hybrids look amazing.

Too bad I just bought Callaway RAZR X   driver, 3 and 5 woods.  These Pings look fabulous.  It's amazing how good the new clubs look.  My irons are an older set of Mizunos, probably 12-15 years old.  I'm wondering if the technology in club manufacture has advanced appreciably in that past 15 years, making the purchase of newer clubs a smart thing?

Trying to improve my game, focusing on playing smarter.

Originally Posted by joelaiken

Too bad I just bought Callaway RAZR X   driver, 3 and 5 woods.  These Pings look fabulous.  It's amazing how good the new clubs look.  My irons are an older set of Mizunos, probably 12-15 years old.  I'm wondering if the technology in club manufacture has advanced appreciably in that past 15 years, making the purchase of newer clubs a smart thing?

I'm an older player (61 years) and my swing speed has decreased to about 90 to 95 mph with a driver; 7i around 65. Yes, I believe the new technology helps. I play the G15s and they really help to launch the ball. I will definetly look at the G25 as an upgrade.

They look great, and the design of the head is advanced ... and then I think of the slot technology of the Adams -  I've always been a sucker for forgiveness technology over looks...

The irons look very good - have always liked Pings. Last set I owned was the i5, which was a fine "player's iron with lots of forgiveness.

Ping G400 Max 9/TPT Shaft, TEE EX10 Beta 4, 5 wd, PXG 22 HY, Mizuno JPX919F 5-GW, TItleist SM7 Raw 55-09, 59-11, Bettinardi BB39

those irons look sick

In My  Nimbus Stand Bag:

Driver: :tmade: RBZ 9.5*

Hybrid: :callaway: XHot 18* Pro

Irons: :tmade: Burner 2.0 5-PW, AW

Wedge: :callaway: Mack Daddy 2 Tour 58*

Putter: :odyssey: Protype Black #9

Ball: :callaway: SuperSoft

Love the look of the 3 wood and irons. I'll be replacing mine this year and was considering i20s irons but the G25s will definitely be on the shortlist. Credit to Ping for the functional no nonsense finish of the woods/hybrids, A brave move in todays market. Can't wait until they're released in the UK

Note: This thread is 4103 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!