IGNORED

How did you know when you outgrew your irons & were ready for better clubs ??

inthehole
Note: This thread is 4119 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Originally Posted by SouthernBuckeye

Only advice I would give you is to get some demo clubs and see if you can play them first.  I would also advise to be fitted with new clubs.  I done neither and ended up twice with the next best thing in clubs only to find out I played my originals better.  I know how you feel about the appearance of the super game improvement clubs, I have struggled with it also, but until I find something I play better with, I am using them.

Yeah, this is what I'm afraid of ... dropping alot of money on a club set that is above my skill level and regretting it.     For me, I always have the tendency to fade woods and hybrids, but consistently hook my irons.    Obviously, there's something not right with my swing, assume the big offset in my current SGI clubs can't be helping my hooking.    I figure a legit reason for me to upgrade (and justify the expense to my wife) is to get something with less offset ... just hope it actually helps this.     Oh well, half the fun is doing all the research and trying to figure it out ...

Latest frontrunner in my quest is the Cleveland CG16 TOUR model ... it's really not a tour model at all from what people say, but just a really good GI club that is designed to mesh into their matching wedge lofts.    Just gotta find someplace that carries them (all I can find is the SGI CG16's at the big box stores)... http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/459951-my-review-of-the-cleveland-cg-16-tours/

John

Fav LT Quote ... "you can talk to a fade, but a hook won't listen"

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I knew for sure I needed a forged set after hitting a MP59 iron for the first time. It was like wow!!! Wanted to hit them again.

Then I went to Florida were I have a second set, SGI shovels. Every time after hitting the ball, I looked at the club and said 'so ugly!'

So I went to Golfsmith's second hand department and found a MacGregor VIP 2010 set for only 200 dollar. And they were just perfect. I was lucky, because this set was with regular shafts (KBS Tour).

Originally Posted by inthehole

Obviously, there's something not right with my swing, assume the big offset in my current SGI clubs can't be helping my hooking.    I figure a legit reason for me to upgrade (and justify the expense to my wife) is to get something with less offset ... just hope it actually helps this.     Oh well, half the fun is doing all the research and trying to figure it out ...

Well, that offset changes what I would do right there. I hate those clubs with the big offset. I would definitely ditch those and get something different.

That being said, there's PLENTY of options on Ebay that you can get for a steal if you're not in a position to buy new with a fitting. I overpaid a little for the Ping I3s Blades I got (about $190.00 2-PW) but I love them. Great looking club and easy to hit.

Originally Posted by colin007

I disagree, i think the JPX irons are not necessarily for a better player, even the MP line offers a ton of forgiveness...

For several years, Mizuno has suggested a Handicap Spectrum for its different irons models. Here's a sampling from M's Golf Collection 2013 booklet...

• MP69 = + 4 to 8 HDCP
  • MP59 = 0 to 12 HDCP
  • JPX825 Pro = 6 to18 HDCP
  • JPX800 HD = 12 to 35 HDCP

Focus, connect and follow through!

• Completed KBS Education Seminar (online, 2015)
  • GolfWorks Clubmaking AcademyFitting, Assembly & Repair School (2012)

Driver:  :touredge: EXS 10.5°, weights neutral   ||  FWs:  :callaway: Rogue 4W + 7W
Hybrid:  :callaway: Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  :callaway: Mavrik MAX 5i-PW
Wedges:  :callaway: MD3: 48°, 54°... MD4: 58° ||  Putter:image.png.b6c3447dddf0df25e482bf21abf775ae.pngInertial NM SL-583F, 34"  
Ball:  image.png.f0ca9194546a61407ba38502672e5ecf.png QStar Tour - Divide  ||  Bag: :sunmountain: Three 5 stand bag

Yeah, this is what I'm afraid of ... dropping alot of money on a club set that is above my skill level and regretting it.     For me, I always have the tendency to fade woods and hybrids, but consistently hook my irons.    Obviously, there's something not right with my swing, assume the big offset in my current SGI clubs can't be helping my hooking.

Latest frontrunner in my quest is the Cleveland CG16 TOUR model ... it's really not a tour model at all from what people say, but just a really good GI club...

From your situation, it's time for a fitting. Many of the golf shops will do a free fitting if you buy a new set of irons, or a new driver.. By new, I mean no one else has owned it - doesn't have to be the latest model.

From the fading woods to hooking irons, offset and shaft may be a problem.  If you work with a skilled clubfitter - one who really knows how to read a launch monitor - your can find the shaft and head combination you need for your game.

The CG16 Tour and Ping's G15 model have a lot of shaft variations you can choose. That's why a launch monitor fitting would be helpful.

I tried the CG16 Tour with heavier DG R300s, and struggled a little getting through the ball, But with somewhat lighter shafts (steel around 100 grams), the ball flew much better.

A Ping fitter from last year's Golf Expo said he was fitting everyone from 5 to 20 HDCP with G15 irons - you just have to make sure they get the right shaft for your game.

Caution on lightweight graphite shafts (sub-50 grams). If you have decent clubhead speed, you could spray the ball all over the golf course if you buy these. Test and be cautions.

Driver:  :touredge: EXS 10.5°, weights neutral   ||  FWs:  :callaway: Rogue 4W + 7W
Hybrid:  :callaway: Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  :callaway: Mavrik MAX 5i-PW
Wedges:  :callaway: MD3: 48°, 54°... MD4: 58° ||  Putter:image.png.b6c3447dddf0df25e482bf21abf775ae.pngInertial NM SL-583F, 34"  
Ball:  image.png.f0ca9194546a61407ba38502672e5ecf.png QStar Tour - Divide  ||  Bag: :sunmountain: Three 5 stand bag

For several years, Mizuno has suggested a Handicap Spectrum for its different irons models. Here's a sampling from M's Golf Collection 2013 booklet... [LIST] [*] MP69 = + 4 to 8 HDCP [*] MP59 = 0 to 12 HDCP [*] JPX825 Pro = 6 to18 HDCP [*] JPX800 HD = 12 to 35 HDCP [/LIST]

I play the 52s and the 58s which are similar to the 59s. I am a pretty mediocre golfer and think they offer a lot of forgiveness. My friend has the JPX irons and they are much much more forgiving. Seriously anybody can hit them.

Colin P.

Originally Posted by WUTiger

From your situation, it's time for a fitting. .

Yep, I agree.   Where I live it's pretty much Golfsmith or GolfTec.    Presumably Golfsmith has better prices (R11's are on sale right now).    Not sure which way I want to go - they both have launch monitors.     For a serious fitting, GolfTec is the logical choice, but I'm sure the cost will be more (last time I was at Golfsmith they said the launch monitor fitting is free if you buy clubs there).     I suspect the launch monitor fitting at GolfTec will allow me to try different shafts, where you can't get this from Golfsmith ... I'm pretty serious about my game, sounds like it's time to pony up & do it right ... agreed ?

John

All I can say is be very sure of what you are looking for in a club. I have been to Rodger Dunn about 6 times in the last two weeks trying clubs, I even got fitted with a set of Ping G20's and ended up hateing them, as they say they are a love or hate club.

Now I have the TM Rocketbladzs and still not that covinced I like these, the loft is very strong and do not feel that they are that forgiving to tell you the truth. The wedge through 8i are very nice and feel like butter but you get to the 7i and lower they have a different feel to them. The good part is you have 90 days to play them, I am taking every chance I can get to use them to a point my hands and fingers are killing me today. Maybe comes down to the grips are just not that great or going to steel. But to tell you the truth my son plays X20's and I still seem to hit them really good.

There are so many clubs out there to try do not get to a point that any one club maker is better then the next it is all about you and how they feel. If you did not know who made them would you still buy them, or was it you liked the brand. As I had said before TM has not been on my short list but i did end up with them.

If you are in not hurry go for a few days and try out all the clubs get to a few and come back again after that.

Also make sure you can return them after a point in case you really end up not liking them. All the monitors and fitters in the world can tell you want you need but only you can really decide in the end.

This IMO you pay a lot for irons and they are your main clubs be happy with what you get.

Mike M.

Irons G30's 4-U.

Hybrid's Callaway X2Hot 3 and 4.

Vokey Wedges SM5 Tour Chrome, 54*, 58*.

Putter Greyhawk, G25 4 wood, G25 Driver.

Just curious, did u compare the R11 irons against the rocket blades ? I really like the R11s - just feel solid all the way thru the set (haven't hit them on grass yet though)

John

You know I did not hit them the only set they had left was in stiff flex, I can not load the shafts. I did not want to drive to another store this was a close location.

I do know that I live by a Korean community and everyone of them play the R11 clubs.

Just take your time and dont get cought up in all the hipe it is a bit overwelming when you start trying them all, or it was for me.

But I had two things I was dealing with, wanting a new club and wanting to go to a steel shaft.

Mike M.

Irons G30's 4-U.

• 2 weeks later...

inthehole stoped by RD the other night and tryed a set of R11 irons really nice clubs and a great price due to TM not making them any longer. So yes you should give them a try, they where not for me but nice.

I ended up back with Callaway Razer X with 2* up on the lie also a great price and hit them the best with the 75g shafts. The steel where just to much for my hands to deal with getting old..ha-ha.

Good luck try them all even the ones you think you may not like.

Mike M.

Irons G30's 4-U.

I figured it was time to see what else was out there after two years with a set of GI irons.  Since I got them I've been playing a lot and taking lessons and  dropped 8-10 strokes.

Yep, I agree.   Where I live it's pretty much Golfsmith or GolfTec.    Presumably Golfsmith has better prices (R11's are on sale right now).    Not sure which way I want to go - they both have launch monitors.     For a serious fitting, GolfTec is the logical choice, but I'm sure the cost will be more (last time I was at Golfsmith they said the launch monitor fitting is free if you buy clubs there).     I suspect the launch monitor fitting at GolfTec will allow me to try different shafts, where you can't get this from Golfsmith ... I'm pretty serious about my game, sounds like it's time to pony up & do it right ... agreed ?

I went for a fitting at GolfTec today for $99 and was pretty impressed.  I started with the Mizuno shaft optimizer, played around with the length and lie, and I got to hit a few different models.  My plan was to buy a used set online so mostly I wanted to know what specs I should be looking for and got exactly that, but I also fell in love with the i20's.  Trying to figure out what to do about that.

Dan

:tmade: R11s 10.5*, Adila RIP Phenom 60g Stiff
:ping: G20 3W
:callaway: Diablo 3H
:ping:
i20 4-U, KBS Tour Stiff
:vokey: Vokey SM4 54.14 
:vokey: Vokey :) 58.11

:scotty_cameron: Newport 2
:sunmountain: Four 5

... I suspect the launch monitor fitting at GolfTec will allow me to try different shafts, where you can't get this from Golfsmith ...

If you want to try different shaft combinations at Golfsmith, you would need to make a fitting appointment. The fitting carts from the different club makers provide multiple head and shaft combinations you can mix and match for launch monitor testing.

If you just go to the up-front hitting bays at Golfsmith, you're pretty well limited to demo clubs.

I've recently moved from Mizuno MP-37 to Titleist AP2

I have to say the only reason i switched irons was because the AP2s had project x shafts as oppose to my MP-37 with R300 in.

My driver swing speed is roughly 112-114 mph therefore needed a change (both these sets of irons were bought 2nd hand)

I have always played blades since i got to single figures as a teenager

Gave up golf for 8 years and when getting back into it over the past few months, it happens i have grown some muscles hence moving from a regular to xstiff shaft

Whilst i hit a solid ball with both blades and cavities, I was surprised at the consistency the AP2 gave me with mishits whilst still giving me a "players iron" look

So time to get to the point of my post!

It sounds to me like you are looking for a similar performing club with a more appealing look to it

I would suggest looking at a forged cavity set - AP2, Cobra AMPs, TM R11 for example

They will give you a nice look and feel without compromising much on workability

Talk to your pro/coach about what they recommend as well - for instance i like the project x as they help me with keeping my hands inside through my downswing

If you have the cash, fitting with a seasoned club maker is the best money you will ever spend when it comes to your clubs

If you can find an ex-staff manufacturer fitter they have a lot of experience fitting on tour -I am lucky and have an ex-taylor made technical director who fits my clubs at an extortionate rate (but damn does he know his stuff!!!)

Best of luck

Originally Posted by tomfig

Talk to your pro/coach about what they recommend as well - for instance i like the project x as they help me with keeping my hands inside through my downswing

Could you elaborate on this?

Yours in earnest, Jason.
Call me Ernest, or EJ or Ernie.

PSA - "If you find yourself in a hole, STOP DIGGING!"

My Whackin' Sticks: :cleveland: 330cc 2003 Launcher 10.5*  :tmade: RBZ HL 3w  :nickent: 3DX DC 3H, 3DX RC 4H  :callaway: X-22 5-AW  :nike:SV tour 56* SW :mizuno: MP-T11 60* LW :bridgestone: customized TD-03 putter :tmade:Penta TP3   :aimpoint:

Apologies poor explanation With the project x the weight is distributed a little more toward the grip than perhaps some other shafts For me this gives me a little better feel as to where my hands are in relation to my body when making my downswing Just personal preference! I was hoping to emphasis the importance of a fitting as a px wasn't a shaft I had even considered before :)

Note: This thread is 4119 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!