IGNORED

midsize grips

budgie
Note: This thread is 4119 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Hi, I'm still doubting if I should change to midsize grips or change my grip a little to minimize draw shots. I have ML gloves. For the last few months I played with midsize grips and it really helps. But I am not convinced it is the right direction to go.

Does anyone know if there are tour players that use missize grips?

Herman

I think it depends on the player.  Midsize do weight more and can affect the swing weight significantly.  I have read that some Pros will use more tape wraps instead.

I used to use Mid-size, but my fitter recommended using three wraps instead.  In addition, you can customize the grip profile under the grip with tape, i.e. three wraps up top with four wraps under the right hand.  I have done this to make the grip slightly larger under my right index finger so I can feel that pressure point better.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Thanks. With all that tape dont you feel the seams allot?

I assume there are tour players with bigger hands than I have. If they dont use midsize grips, they will have a good reason for that.

Sorry for the essay but here goes:

The swingweight will be affected, about 1 point lighter for every 5g in the grip. But you won't feel it much because it's between your hands; the club won't really feel head light. The grip is the fulcrum point in the club for the swing, while the swingweight scale places a fulcrum point on the shaft 19" or so, which doesn't have any meaning unless you're a hockey player. Because of leverage, the head weight is a lot more important than weight between the hands, just like applying force at the fulcrum point vs far from the fulcrum point of a lever will create different results.

If you're worried about total weight, they make lightweight grips (which I hate), as little as half the normal weight. It does not really have the same impact as adding weight to the head; using a light grip to make a club read D7 won't be nearly as head heavy as using lead tape. For shorter clubs like for women or juniors or ultralight overall clubs they work fine though.

For a better and more accurate method of matching clubs, look up MOI weighting; it's essentially what swingweight was designed to measure but without the simplification. However it's very involved and requires a lot of tinkering to set up a bag that way. Swingweighting works pretty well overall, and is the industry standard, it just isn't designed to factor in significant changes in grip and shaft weight, it's more about length and head weight. MOI weighting also brings into account the total weight, which can make 2 clubs at a D1 swing very differently.

Using tape might be a bit lighter than a dedicated midsize grip, but I don't see how it's good for the grip to stretch it, especially a cord grip. You can get a specific profile though, like making the bottom thicker to remove the taper. Other than that it's a hassle. Tape is not weightless itself, so it would still affect swingweight.

As for grip thickness affecting ball flight, it's a load of BS. I get the same shapes off midsize and standard. You might use a stronger or weaker grip on the club subconsciously or something, but it will not noticeably magnify hand action to change by one size. However, using an uncomfortable size will cause a lot of trouble. I have ML/L size hands, should be using standard grips based on fitting charts, but use midsize because it feels a lot better and doesn't require a tight grip to control.

Think about this: if most golfers slice the ball, and small grips encourage a draw, why wouldn't every driver sold today have ladies' grips on it? They use every imaginable method to encourage a draw, so the grip must not have an effect.

The average golfer can only barely feel a difference between 2 swingweight points. However I'm willing to bet he could tell the difference from a single wrap of tape in the grip. Make sure it's a comfortable size first and foremost, you'll hit it better.

In My Bag:

Adams Super LS 9.5˚ driver, Aldila Phenom NL 65TX
Adams Super LS 15˚ fairway, Kusala black 72x
Adams Super LS 18˚ fairway, Aldila Rip'd NV 75TX
Adams Idea pro VST hybrid, 21˚, RIP Alpha 105x
Adams DHY 24˚, RIP Alpha 89x
5-PW Maltby TE irons, KBS C taper X, soft stepped once 130g
Mizuno T4, 54.9 KBS Wedge X
Mizuno R12 60.5, black nickel, KBS Wedge X
Odyssey Metal X #1 putter 
Bridgestone E5, Adidas samba bag, True Linkswear Stealth

[INDENT][/INDENT][quote name="budgie" url="/t/64041/midsize-grips#post_796873"]Still got that question, do tour players use midsize grips? [/quote] I'm just curious.... Why do you care what tour players do or don't do?

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

I think if tour players dont use midsize grips, than its not the way to go to get my swing/equipment better. If it is a good way to improve than these players would certainly concider these grips and use them. Dont you think so?

I think if tour players dont use midsize grips, than its not the way to go to get my swing/equipment better. If it is a good way to improve than these players would certainly concider these grips and use them. Dont you think so?

I think that a tour player's game is so different from mine that I don't even consider what they do or don't do in deciding what may or may not work for me.....

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

i have tried several different things to gain "feel" and comfort with my clubs and golf swing. grip changes obviously being one of them. i have tried various different grip styles, sizes and less/more tape wraps to achieve the right feel. the game is ALL feel. i just went through an iron fitting trying everything in the fitting cart shaft wise. why wouldnt you order your possible $1500 investment with what works for you grip wise? midsize grips with 2 wraps under my left hand and 3 under my right feels perfect for me. what works for you?

Originally Posted by budgie

Tour golfers have many different preferences for grip thickness, taper, etc.

Bubba Watson has 10 wraps of tape under the high hand of his driver, and 12 wraps under his low (right) hand - remember, he's a lefty. This GolfWorld article talks about the preferences of Bubba and others:

http://www.golfworldmagazine.com/golfworld/20120514?pg=32±=2&fs;=1#pg32

All golfers need to go with what works. This fall I went from standard to midsize on the lightweight shafts of my RBZ FWs and hybrid. This has really cut down on the bad hooks (but not soon enough to save this past summer).

If you wear a ML glove, your hands are probably slightly larger than average. So, the midsize would quiet down your hands and lessen draws/hooks. Increasing grip thickness is one standard tactic to lessen hooks in an otherwise solid swing.

If possible, you might go to the local pro shop and talk to them about golf grips. Lots of interesting options for the 21st century. Besides grip thickness and ribbed vs. round, there's the weight of the grip itself, surface texture, multiple materials, and variable hardness (firm, medium and soft).

Focus, connect and follow through!

• Completed KBS Education Seminar (online, 2015)
  • GolfWorks Clubmaking AcademyFitting, Assembly & Repair School (2012)

Driver:  :touredge: EXS 10.5°, weights neutral   ||  FWs:  :callaway: Rogue 4W + 7W
Hybrid:  :callaway: Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  :callaway: Mavrik MAX 5i-PW
Wedges:  :callaway: MD3: 48°, 54°... MD4: 58° ||  Putter:image.png.b6c3447dddf0df25e482bf21abf775ae.pngInertial NM SL-583F, 34"  
Ball:  image.png.f0ca9194546a61407ba38502672e5ecf.png QStar Tour - Divide  ||  Bag: :sunmountain: Three 5 stand bag

I have reasonably small hands, but play with midsize grips for a few reasons.  First, they lighten up my grip pressure, I've had rounds in the past where my hands ached from gripping the club too tight.  Second, they're more comfortable to me.  I like the extra cushion.

The size alone means nothing to how I hit the ball, it's all about comfort for me.

Thanks that was a nice article to read. When you are doubting you're looking for something to confirm your decision. I still don't know if there are tour players that use midsize grips, but they are just adding tape. I normally regrip my clubs myself, but when adding lets say 3 layers of tape you evenly spread the overlapping tape?

Give this a read, too:

http://www.golf.com/instruction/youre-playing-wrong-size-grips

After reading that article, I've been tempted to reevaluate my grips.

In the Bag: TaylorMade R11 TP - TaylorMade R7 TP TS - Cleveland Halo - TM TP 2009 3-PW - Vokey SM 52 - Vokey SM 60 - Rife Barbados CS - ProV1x 

On the Computer:  Analyzr Pro 

One of the things that helped straightened out my ball flight was thicker grips.  I went from no tape at all, to 3 wraps top to bottom, and it was just enough of a size difference that I could definitely notice it.  My reasoning was exactly the same reasoning as Bullitt5339..... I was gripping too tightly with the smaller diameter grips, and as a result I was holding the face open through impact.  With a little larger diameter I don't feel like I need to grip it as tightly.  I'm going to play around with a midsize as well and try various numbers of wraps under it to see what difference it makes.

Also, FWIW, I blow my grips on and off, so I can change the wraps at will.  So since I don't use double sided tape, I use 1" wide blue painters tape.  I wrap it in a spiral up the shaft, so there is no "seam" to be felt.  Which, if most installers are using 1" tape, that's how they will do it.  If using 2" tape, then there is a risk of building up a seam or rib.

I doubt there are too many tour players using mid size grips.  They are the ultimate "feel" players, and since the wall material is thicker on a mid size grip, they would lose that feel.  Using a standard grip with more wraps might even make the grip wall thickness thinner, since it is being stretched.  BUT....as WUTiger said, Bubba (being the anomaly he is) uses like a fricken roll of tape on his, and they are a 1/32" oversize Ping 703 Gold grip.  With so much stretching going on there, they are naturally shorter too compared to a 'normally' installed grip.  Furthermore, this grip has a 'reminder' rib, and that is clocked to 8:00.

All that goes to show the importance of grip fitting, and how far some go to get them just right!

Budgie,

I don't feel the seams because I place then tape with the seam at a different spot for each wrap.  The tape is also thin compared to the grip.  I use Golf Pride New Decade chord grips and get them on with a air compressor with no issue.  The chord is wrapped as a web inside the rubber and will stretch.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

I forgot to add.... Bubba's grips are probably 1/32" oversized because when stretched as much as they are over the tape, the wall thickness is probably stretched back to what might be considered a normal wall thickness.

Thank you guys, this helps a lot. I use 2" tape and glue it with tape solvent. If you use just tape and air to put on a grip , doesn't it slip? Maybe I should try the 1" tape and spiral it on the shaft, lets see how that works.

Originally Posted by budgie

Thank you guys, this helps a lot. I use 2" tape and glue it with tape solvent. If you use just tape and air to put on a grip , doesn't it slip? Maybe I should try the 1" tape and spiral it on the shaft, lets see how that works.

No.  I use PURE Grips, which are meant to only be blown on and off.  But I blow on just about every grip I replace, with the exception of some Winn grips.

Note: This thread is 4119 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!