IGNORED

See what the 1934 Masters would look like in this game

nevets88
Note: This thread is 4087 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I'm not a big gamer, but this preview of the 1934 edition of the Masters from EA Sports is pretty cool:

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I wonder if they are going to tone down the equipment and green speeds to match the times too.  The course was also shorter then than it is now, and there was no rough anywhere.  Fairways weren't cut as tight, and the entire property was cut to the same height.  That was still true even in Nicklaus' day.

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

Originally Posted by Fourputt

I wonder if they are going to tone down the equipment and green speeds to match the times too.  The course was also shorter then than it is now, and there was no rough anywhere.  Fairways weren't cut as tight, and the entire property was cut to the same height.  That was still true even in Nicklaus' day.

Looking at the putt Bobby Jones rolled in at the end of the video... It doesn't look like the greens will be slow.  But it does look like beyond the green - all of the grass is the same length.  You definitely couldn't distinguish between the fairway and rough - at least from that video.

Originally Posted by Beachcomber

Quote:

Looking at the putt Bobby Jones rolled in at the end of the video... It doesn't look like the greens will be slow.  But it does look like beyond the green - all of the grass is the same length.  You definitely couldn't distinguish between the fairway and rough - at least from that video.

I agree, but it's sometimes hard to tell in a cut scene video clip.  I don't think that we were seeing actual game play.

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

The clothing, equipment, etc. will be like it was back in 1934 which is going to be pretty neat for sure.  The Legends Mode (challenging guys like Jack, Arnie, Bobby Jones, Seve, etc.) will feature this kind of realism as well.  I'm looking forward to this year's game, but then again, I always get it.  LOL.

At least they seem to be offering something different than just the standard game and online play. While I usually buy the game every year, I am definitely more excited for the historic angle for the 2014 edition.

An excellent marketing concept. It could (and probably will) open up a whole new genre of sim games - I can see a 1940s version with Hogan/Snead/Nelson, a 1960s with Palmer/Nicklau/Player, etc.

Originally Posted by Thrash13

Ben Hogan is one of the 8 legends featured in the game, so get your money ready!

If it's 1934-edition of Hogan, get ready to play a bunch of snap hooks.

When I reviewed the game last year, I wrote about how my favorite of the various single-player modes over the years was the 2005 game, when they had Hogan, Seve, Nicklaus, and Palmer. I thought they did a really good job that year of making those players very realistic, not only when it came to the swing but also to their playing characteristics (Seve, for example, was downright amazing around the greens). If they can build that in and then add to it the old-timey course stuff (which they omitted in 2005), it could be interesting.

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

For whatever reason the old courses and players don't appeal to me as far as the video game goes. I'm probably in the minority in that respect, but all I really want out of the game is a good amount courses to choose from a good career mode and a lot of equipment to choose from.

Tristan Hilton

My Equipment: 
PXG 0211 Driver (Diamana S+ 60; 10.5°) · PXG 0211 FWs (Diamana S+ 60; 15° and 21°) · PXG 0211 Hybrids (MMT 80; 22°, 25°, and 28°) · PXG 0311P Gen 2 Irons (SteelFiber i95; 7-PW) · Edel Wedges (KBS Hi-Rev; 50°, 55°, 60°) · Edel Classic Blade Putter (32") · Vice Pro or Maxfli Tour · Pinned Prism Rangefinder · Star Grips · Flightscope Mevo · TRUE Linkswear Shoes · Sun Mountain C130S Bag

On my MacBook Pro:
Analyzr Pro

Originally Posted by tristanhilton85

For whatever reason the old courses and players don't appeal to me as far as the video game goes. I'm probably in the minority in that respect, but all I really want out of the game is a good amount courses to choose from a good career mode and a lot of equipment to choose from.

I agree with you on the old courses and players thing.  I don't mind it much this year because it's been awhile, but I'd much rather have 8 more current golfers as long as they are high-quality.  Luckily, the roster for Tiger 14 is the biggest it's been.  Still, I'd love to see guys like Mickelson (never gonna happen), Westwood, etc.  And I agree with you on the courses thing as well.  That's probably what I look forward to hearing about the most every year the game is announced.  They have added some good ones this year (Muirfield Village, Oak Hill, etc.).

And supposedly, the career mode has been revamped.  It's LONG overdue, and I'm hopeful it's better than what it has been in the past.  I didn't touch the career mode in Tiger 13, but the Tiger Legacy mode has been surprisingly fun.  I'm ready to jump back into career mode in Tiger 14.

Note: This thread is 4087 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!