IGNORED

Do you like to play with new people?

twug
Note: This thread is 4037 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

1 member has voted

1. 1. Do you like playing with new people in the same skill area as you?

• Yes, it's fun to play with strangers while on vacation
    • Yes, it's fun to play with strangers even when I have friends available
    • No, I like to play with friends

i've got friends to play with, but coordinating schedules can be a challenge, so we only get out together 4 or 5 times a year. since i usually get out on Mondays, i'm often a single wherever i go. 99% of the time i get paired with cool people (of all skill levels) and only played with complete douche-nozzles on one or two occasions. i also don't mind playing alone if the course is empty - i can get around in under 3 hours most of the time.

same I chose the second one, usually the people I end up randomnly play with are old guys but are good fun to be around! I enjoy seeing guys who like to have a good time and aren't killing themselves because they didn't make a 3 ft putt

Driver: Titleist 907 D2 9.5*

Wood: 3 Wood Cobra S2 17*

Hybrid: 3 & 4 Hybrid Titleist PT 585 H 21* 24*

Irons: 5-PW Mizuno MP-69 

Wedges: 52*/5 R-12, 58*/10 Black Ox, 64*/7 T-11 Mizuno 

To be honest it really doesn't matter if they are friends or complete strangers. What I most enjoy is playing with other players that are at an equal or greater skill level than myself. Playing with my son and watching him develop into a solid player has been a blast. Last year he finally beat me outright for the first time, and although I don't like to lose, I couldn't have been anymore proud of him hitting the shots he had to hit down the stretch to kick my butt!

For me golf has always been more about competition than a social event. Whether it's being challenged by a tough layout or by skilled playing partners, that's what I enjoy most about the game.

In My Bag:
Driver: :Cobra Amp Cell Pro 9.5*, Stock X-Flex

3 Wood: :Cobra Bio Cell 16*, Stock X-Flex

5 Wood: Cobra Bio Cell 20*, Stock S-Flex
Irons: Bridgestone J40-CB 3-PW, Project-X 6.0

Gap Wedge::Vokey: 52* CNC  

Sand Wedge: :Vokey: 58* CNC  

Putters: Scotty Cameron Newport II 

Ball: Bridgestone 330-S(2014)

Originally Posted by Parker0065

To be honest it really doesn't matter if they are friends or complete strangers. What I most enjoy is playing with other players that are at an equal or greater skill level than myself.

Ditto.  When I play with golfers that are better than me I usually shoot a low round.  When I play with my good friends, who are really bad at golf, I usually struggle to break 100.

Originally Posted by SCfanatic35

Quote:

Originally Posted by Parker0065

To be honest it really doesn't matter if they are friends or complete strangers. What I most enjoy is playing with other players that are at an equal or greater skill level than myself.

Ditto.  When I play with golfers that are better than me I usually shoot a low round.  When I play with my good friends, who are really bad at golf, I usually struggle to break 100.

That's one place where the mental aspect of the game comes in.  At some point you have to figure out how to  play your game regardless of the actions or skill levels of your companions.  It's similar to learning how to mentally blank out a water hazard which in play on a shot.   That mostly just comes from experience, from being in those situations often enough that they don't bother you any more.

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Originally Posted by Fourputt

That's one place where the mental aspect of the game comes in.  At some point you have to figure out how to  play your game regardless of the actions or skill levels of your companions.  It's similar to learning how to mentally blank out a water hazard which in play on a shot.   That mostly just comes from experience, from being in those situations often enough that they don't bother you any more.

You're probably right.  It's mostly from me getting annoyed with their play, antics, lack of caring, etc.  I would love to be able to block it out.  I can completely blank out bunkers, hazards, and other dangers.  For some reason I have yet to block out the annoying golfer. I guess that comes with practice.

Originally Posted by Fourputt

I've been challenging myself lately to handle this: players in my group stepping on the putting line, moving around in your backswing, whispering while you're hitting/putting, standing right behind you while you're putting so they can get a read.  I remember TW's father screwing around with him during his backswings (okay, I'm no Tiger, but I pretend to do stuff he does to get better). I might have Colin's rabbit ears and I'm trying to be a fun player to play with .....

My local course (http://www.apollobeachgolf.com/) where I play most often has some really pathetic maintenance people who drive right by the greens while you're putting/chipping. I won't know what to do when I play with some better players on a nicer course........

My best friend and golf partner (also posts on here) usually play as a twosome. We have only been paired up with other players once, and while one of the guys was friendly, the other guy was a d-bag. He offered unsolicited help, when he was no better than we were. He was the kind of guy that liked to invade personal space as well. I would not play another round with him, but his co-worker would be welcome any time.

I enjoy playing with strangers, but try not to due to my poor eyesight.  When playing with friends, they help me out by watching where my ball lands.  I don't feel comfortable asking a stranger to do that for me and I don't feel it's acceptable for them to wait on me to find my ball.

Honestly besides my gf and a high school buddy that only comes into town a couple of times a year, I only play alone or with strangers. Usually a good experience though I have met some real duds.

Hate playing with strangers.  I just don't have the personality where I want to speak with someone I don't know.  Besides, I like to drink beer, listen to the radio, and have a smoke or two.  Perfer friends, but play a lot of 3:30 pm rounds or in light rain just to be by myself.

Myself and two friends played a high-dollar course in FL one time, and the pro shop guy asked if we would mind a single joining us.  We really didn't, but were told the guy had been waiting for about 3 hrs for a spot.  We agreed, and this guy hit everyone of our balls on every freaking hole.  Kept saying he wore glasses and could not see very well to find his ball.  Put several out of bounds only to say "par" when he picked up his ball from the hole.  Constantly braggadocious about how rich he was.  The kicker though, gave us some real bad stock advice.

I've never had a problem playing with strangers. I would of course, rather play with my usual group but I'll occasionaly go out as a single. I've honestly never had a "Bad" experience playing with new people. Oh I've been stuck with "Lesson guy" and I've also been stuck with "Guy who needs to tell you how much money he has" but that stuff's easy to tune out.

my get up and go musta got up and went..

Originally Posted by ashley14

What is best

A "toe up" takeaway or a neutral takeaway

I'll ask lesson guy next time I get paired with him. The funny part about the last lesson guy I got paired with was the fact that this dude was trashed by the 6th hole. This guy literally could not hit a single shot without taking his beer with him.

my get up and go musta got up and went..

I'm a little surprised by the poll results.....................

This is how I interpret the results:

45% enjoy playing with strangers

55% don't like playing with strangers

People who voted yes to the first question are a NO vote.  The first question would read more accurately it said "NO I don't like playing with strangers, but I can tolerate them on vacation" .  ......as if you have any choice on vacation?

this is my observation...

What's in Paul's Bag:
- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha Driver
- Big Bertha Alpha 815 3-wood
- Callaway Razr Fit 5-wood
- Callaway Big Bertha 4-5 Rescue Clubs
-- Mizuno Mx-25 six iron-gap wedge
- Mizuno Mp-T4 56degree SW
- Mizuno Mp-T11 60degree SW
- Putter- Ping Cadence Ketsch

Originally Posted by NM Golf

I can play with just about anyone, but its not a lot of fun for me to play with really bad players. If someone can break 100 and at least advance the ball each time I can play with them. What I can't deal with is someone who has to hit the ball 4 times before we get to my drive. That's gets old in a hurry.

That being said I still prefer to play with friends, although I have had some great rounds with strangers.

For me, I don't care how bad they play.  It's all about pace of play........if they shoot 120 and maintain the pace of play on the course, they're welcome in my group.   So long as we keep up.....it's all good.   I'd prefer to play with a pleasant person who scores in the 100's than an unpleasant scratch golfer.  LOL

What's in Paul's Bag:

Originally Posted by BuckeyeNut

I'm a little surprised by the poll results.....................

This is how I interpret the results:

45% enjoy playing with strangers

55% don't like playing with strangers

People who voted yes to the first question are a NO vote.  The first question would read more accurately it said  "NO I don't like playing with strangers, but I can tolerate them on vacation".  ......as if you have any choice on vacation?

this is my observation...

I don't read anything into it.  The qualifiers make it a flawed poll.  The answers are not exclusive of each other.  If allowed, I would answer yes to all three.  This is why I didn't vote at all. :)

I also believe that the qualifier in the question is more important (people from the same skill level as you) and overlooked because of the qualifiers in the answers, and the thread title.

If the question had simple yes or no choices, you'd get a better interpretation of the results.

• Administrator
Originally Posted by Golfingdad

The qualifiers make it a flawed poll.

I agree.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

I'm glad I'm not the only person who thought it was flawed.

A simple yes or no question without qualifiers would have been better............

What's in Paul's Bag:

Note: This thread is 4037 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!