IGNORED

First shot choke

hacker101
Note: This thread is 4029 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

How can you resist golf advice from a guy w/ el shanko in his screen name ? (j/k).....not (j/k again).

Which reminds me of my round yesterday, one of the guys in my group who shot probably 15 more strokes than I did (85) was giving me putting advice unsolicited.  I smiled and thanked him - but really, I wanted to remind him that he sucked at golf and not to ever tell me how to play again - anyone have this kind of thing happen?  I hope my post comes across as lighthearted and not as a golf snob - because I suck at the game as well in the eyes of a low hcper.

• Upvote 1

Originally Posted by Rick Martin

How can you resist golf advice from a guy w/ el shanko in his screen name ? (j/k).....not (j/k again).

Which reminds me of my round yesterday, one of the guys in my group who shot probably 15 more strokes than I did (85) was giving me putting advice unsolicited.  I smiled and thanked him - but really, I wanted to remind him that he sucked at golf and not to ever tell me how to play again - anyone have this kind of thing happen?  I hope my post comes across as lighthearted and not as a golf snob - because I suck at the game as well in the eyes of a low hcper.

That's nice ... but this is off topic and there are other threads for this.  The "pet peeves" one, for example.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Lots of good advice here - hit some warmup shots. breathe, slow your swing down.

Especially that last one. Human reaction to a nervous situation is to hurry up & get it over with. Speed kills a golf swing.

The other thing I would add is, your reaction is very normal, very typical. Every golfer has jitters on the first tee...even the pros. They will tell you that if they didn't feel nervous on the first tee then something is amiss. So take solace in the fact you are like every other golfer.

Originally Posted by zipazoid

Especially that last one. Human reaction to a nervous situation is to hurry up & get it over with. Speed kills a golf swing.

For this, I would also add that if you have a pre-swing routine, stick to it. Good breathing while doing this will also help.

Best Regards,
Ryan

In the :ogio: bag:
:nike: VR-S Covert Tour Driver 10.5 :nike: VR-S Covert Tour 3W :titleist: 712U 21*
:nike: VR Pro Blades 4-PW :vokey: Vokeys 52*, 56* & 60* :scotty_cameron: Studio Select Newport 2
:leupold:
:true_linkswear: 

Bloody Mary before a morning round; beer before an afternoon round to take the edge off the first tee.

Also, as much as it's hard sometimes because golf already takes a long time, I try to build in enough time to get to the course early, hit a warm up bucket and just collect myself before starting the round.  Worst rounds are always the ones where you fly into the parking lot while trying to wrap up that last work call and run to meet your group on the first tee.  Guaranteed that the first several holes will be a train wreck.

One strange thing (for me) is that I usually find a way to get that first tee shot off ok.  My personal nightmare is skulling the second shot on par 5 hole #1.  I think I do it 85% of rounds no matter how much I stick to my routine.  I don't think I can think of a single round I played last year where I scored better than double bogey on the first hole regardless of the course.

I put a lot of pressure on myself on the first tee because, if I start poorly on the first hole, it takes a while for me to get it right. I am a streaky player and I know it, so it gets in my head. I just assume that is the beginning of a bad streak.

I know, poor thought process. But at least I know that a good streak is coming at some point.

Bill M

Anyone read any of Rotella's books? Might be helpful in the early round nerves/jitter situation.

He might have recommendations like concentrate on a specific target, don't concentrate on mechanics on your first shots, trust your swing, etc. Be satisfied w/ effort over results, etc etc etc.

Originally Posted by Rick Martin

Anyone read any of Rotella's books? Might be helpful in the early round nerves/jitter situation.

He might have recommendations like concentrate on a specific target, don't concentrate on mechanics on your first shots, trust your swing, etc. Be satisfied w/ effort over results, etc etc etc.

He'll say "Don't concentrate on mechanics on any hole", that's what the range is for, think of a good shot you've hit down the hole that you want to replicate.

Having seen my share of groups tee off, I have seen some shots that are so awful that it would be hard to duplicate. One in particular comes to mind of a guy that was on the tee and cold topped one into the base of a tree that was 15 yards away and it came right back at him and he had to do a jig just to miss getting hit. The tee box was backed up and it was all I could do not to laugh. I soon came to the realization that no one really cares when I tee off, especially the guys in my group. With that mindset, I am able to approach my shot as if no one else is there (because I really don't care), pick out the smallest target possible, go through my normal pre-shot routine, and that gives me the best chance to make a decent swing. It works out most times with a decent tee shot, but not every time. The point is that I don't defeat myself before I hit the shot. And besides, I have yet to have to duck out of the way from one of my own tee shots.

• Upvote 2

Cobra LTDx 10.5* | Big Tour 15.5*| Rad Tour 18.5*  | Titleist U500 4-23* | T100 5-P | Vokey SM7 50/8* F, 54/10* S, SM8 58/10* S | Scotty Cameron Squareback No. 1 | Vice Pro Plus  

I sometimes have this problem - works out better for me if I just swing easy, maybe 60% & just try to get it out there solidly on the fairway - I never take a full swing on the first hole.

John

Fav LT Quote ... "you can talk to a fade, but a hook won't listen"

I will be trying out the advise from you all this weekend, I just have to wonder where this came from all of a sudden.

What ever the case maybe will be hitting the range prior to teeing off. Making sure that i see what club I will use on the first shot so I work on that first swing cutting back if needed.

Nothing else not even keeping a score cardfor a bit.

Mike M.

Irons G30's 4-U.

Hybrid's Callaway X2Hot 3 and 4.

Vokey Wedges SM5 Tour Chrome, 54*, 58*.

Putter Greyhawk, G25 4 wood, G25 Driver.

Originally Posted by TourSpoon

Having seen my share of groups tee off, I have seen some shots that are so awful that it would be hard to duplicate. One in particular comes to mind of a guy that was on the tee and cold topped one into the base of a tree that was 15 yards away and it came right back at him and he had to do a jig just to miss getting hit. The tee box was backed up and it was all I could do not to laugh. I soon came to the realization that no one really cares when I tee off, especially the guys in my group. With that mindset, I am able to approach my shot as if no one else is there (because I really don't care), pick out the smallest target possible, go through my normal pre-shot routine, and that gives me the best chance to make a decent swing. It works out most times with a decent tee shot, but not every time. The point is that I don't defeat myself before I hit the shot. And besides, I have yet to have to duck out of the way from one of my own tee shots.

This is a very good take. If you think about your day and how often you recognize anyone else's behavior or look at yourself and think back to how often you actually pay attention to someone else's swing while warming up, you know you are more in grossed in your own dynamics.

However the fact that you are being watched by your 3 some can lead to some apprehension. Think about the worst that could happen before you play...at most you have to play in another fairway or a provisional. No one cares. Hell I am so busy thinking about my next shot I can't even remember what my partner did or where his ball went half the time.

"My ball is on top of a rock in the hazard, do I get some sort of relief?"

Strangely, I am the opposite, and I never hit warmup balls either!!  I do the obligatory stretches for a few minutes..........make a few practice swings.......and go.

On the first tee, I'm just thinking to myself..... "don't injure myself!" I loosen up a bit and make an aggressive pass through the ball, but I am careful not to over-swing.  The result is an aggressive controlled swing with a good result.  For the most part, I'm only thinking about good tempo and I usually hit a pretty good shot right out of the gate.     The funny part is I sometimes start hitting worse shots once I finally get loose!!   Once I get loose, I sometimes start trying to kill the ball and the result is me over-swinging....and then I start spraying the ball.  LOL

What's in Paul's Bag:
- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha Driver
- Big Bertha Alpha 815 3-wood
- Callaway Razr Fit 5-wood
- Callaway Big Bertha 4-5 Rescue Clubs
-- Mizuno Mx-25 six iron-gap wedge
- Mizuno Mp-T4 56degree SW
- Mizuno Mp-T11 60degree SW
- Putter- Ping Cadence Ketsch

This happens to me every now and then.  It seems to happen to me if I haven't been out for a few weeks.

Two years ago I went out for my first 18 ever.  I was playing with two friends (who golf often) and we had a 9am tee time so there were others around with later tee times watching.  I was nervous because of the small audience and I didn't want to look like an idiot.  My buddy tosses a tee down to see who's going to go first (whoever it points to) and of course, it was me.  I actually nailed it, but I don't have that luck every time.

In my bag:
Driver - Diablo Octane 10.5*
Fairway Wood - Diablo Octane 15*
Hybrid -  Edge 21*
Irons - X20's 4I - 9I
Wedges - X20's PW/SW
Putter - White Ice 1
Ball - Warbird

Strangely, I am the opposite, and I never hit warmup balls either!!  I do the obligatory stretches for a few minutes..........make a few practice swings.......and go.  On the first tee, I'm just thinking to myself..... "don't injure myself!" I loosen up a bit and make an aggressive pass through the ball, but I am careful not to over-swing.  The result is an aggressive controlled swing with a good result.  For the most part, I'm only thinking about good tempo and I usually hit a pretty good shot right out of the gate.     The funny part is I sometimes start hitting worse shots once I finally get loose!!   Once I get loose, I sometimes start trying to kill the ball and the result is me over-swinging....and then I start spraying the ball.  LOL

I have the exact same situation. I usually hit the ball very well in the beginning. I'm assuming I'm tight, so I have a much more compact, controlled swing. Once I get loose, I start to let things get a little 'whipy' and over swinging...causing worse contact and spraying shots.

Originally Posted by MyrtleBeachGolf

I have the exact same situation. I usually hit the ball very well in the beginning. I'm assuming I'm tight, so I have a much more compact, controlled swing. Once I get loose, I start to let things get a little 'whipy' and over swinging...causing worse contact and spraying shots.

I'm the exact opposite.  Early on, I feel tight and that's when I don't make good contact as often.

In my bag:
Driver - Diablo Octane 10.5*
Fairway Wood - Diablo Octane 15*
Hybrid -  Edge 21*
Irons - X20's 4I - 9I
Wedges - X20's PW/SW
Putter - White Ice 1
Ball - Warbird

Note: This thread is 4029 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!