IGNORED

My Swing (cipher)

cipher
Note: This thread is 877 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Better with the "width", shaft to the right shoulder, not do it with the elbows separating less.

Mike, could you clarify the second part please? Sorry I do not follow. Better overall at A4 if I get the elbows together?

Nate

:pxg:(10.5) :benhogan:(4W):titleist:U500(3UI) :benhogan: Icon(4-PW) :edel:(52/58)

:odyssey:Putter :snell: MTB Black  

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Originally Posted by cipher

Mike, could you clarify the second part please? Sorry I do not follow. Better overall at A4 if I get the elbows together?

Better meaning you saw the angle of the shaft get too narrow on the backswing, so that piece is different.  Then you said you wanted the shaft to be less laid off and saw too muc h separation with the right elbow from the ribs and left elbow.  The laid off and the separation of the elbow is connected.  You kind of separate a little and over rotate that left arm.  Left elbow starts pointing upward.  So to make sure the left elbow doesn't pull away from you, keep the elbows closer from 3-4.

Also be good to see some more knee flex at A1.  Legs look a little stiff and I think there's too much weight/pressure in your heels at 4.  More knee flex will help that balance.

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

Thanks Mike!

Nate

:pxg:(10.5) :benhogan:(4W):titleist:U500(3UI) :benhogan: Icon(4-PW) :edel:(52/58)

Took a double on this par five this morning.  Put my second in the water, picked the wrong club and tried to carry the corner.  oops.  Played OK,  6/7 fairways, 4/9 greens and 2/3 on up and downs.  Gotta keep working on things.  At least when I am missing greens now the misses are much closer.  Great morning though.

Nate

Nice pic where is that if im close to there Id like to play that course?

Ironwood

Nate

OK, here is what I have been working on and am sending up to James.  Right foot angle at finish and overall finish position.  I am not sure why but I do like the look of this swing in real time.  Still on my heels a bit and might have too much hip slide going on.  Angle of right arm at A6 is decent but elbow still is stuck.  I think I probably have too much slide and and too much weight on the heels as Mike was saying and that is also causing some of these issues.  Was not really too concerned with A6 in these swings, I did try to get off my heels a bit though.  I have more work to do though in that department.  I was really trying to feel a lot of PP5 strongly going into A4.  I think that is helping a bit with the overall position.  Hitting a bit out on the toe, but I am not too concerned about that right now, pretty happy to have that though over where I was two years ago...sshhhhhaank.

Nate

All the hard work last fall and this spring is starting to show. 38 yesterday and 37 today. Had a little scorecard panic on the final hole, today because I had not scored a 36 on nine from the tips yet. It will happen this year though. I had the most consistent round of the year yet, with the irons. So happy I have stuck with doing evolvr and will continue to work on the swing with that.

• Upvote 1

Nate

Got my latest lesson back.  Went to work, and by that I mean I left work and went to the range.  Differences in takeaway and loading at A4, also a little more knee flex.  Did better than I thought I would on my first attempt, but I am going to take 2-3 weeks on this one before getting a video back to my instructor.  I was actually kind of hoping we would work on A4 so I am excited to start doing that.  Having some contact consistency(fat/thin) issues as I should changing something this much.  It will take a bit to get this one right.  The elbows/laid off tendencies are going to be the hardest for me(not even close on this first attempt), and so apparently is balance..Haha!

Nate

Frustrating day on the course, but I know this change is going to take a while.  I know I roll under too much in my back swing and lay it off, but I can also hit nice shots like that.  It is definitely going to take a while to figure this out with getting the hands up, not having the club head roll under plane, and loading better into A4.  Hits some nasty push cuts(well big push, slight cuts) this morning, can't hit a draw with anything but a gap wedge right now.  Pretty much know what I am doing wrong(not dropping hands/club down enough in transition), but it is so hard to change it to do it right.  Nothing that is worth while comes easy right?

Nate

To be clear, if wrist hinge is up and down and wrist bend is side to side I cannot transition or hit good shots with much of any hinge feeling going back. I can take the arms up more with right wrist bend and hit shots, or I can stay low and laid off with bend and hit shots.

Nate

May have found a way to hinge better...

Nate

Still hitting push cuts all over the place, the revised back swing is starting to feel better but gotta fix the push cuts.  Hopefully my instructor can tell me what I am doing wrong.  I have an idea possibly but it is just a guess on my part.

Nate

Just watched the three most recent videos you've posted. The one thing that stood out to me (this may seem strange) was your chin position. I just read a piece, can't remember if it was Golf Digest or not, about Tiger describing why you need to keep your chin up. Promotes better posture and allows your shoulders to make a full turn was the synopsis I got from it. The second video, you can clearly see your chin is up as opposed to the other two. The fuller shoulder turn, as a result of your posture from the chin, might help you rotate better.

Or I could be way off mark with this... haha.

Post 103 says push cuts.  Was post 102 also push cuts, or did that one have better ball flight?  I ask because when I'm having trouble with push cuts, one thing I fall back on is something Mike said to me last year during a 5SK school I went to.  And that is that I should kinda feel like I'm leaning towards the right (out over where the ball used to be) at the end of my swing.  When I do that, I hit push draws (assuming I'm not having other issues obviously) and when I don't do that - when I stand up straighter in the follow through - I hit push cuts.

It appears that your push cut video has you finishing straighter (maybe you "stood up out of the shot?"), yet the previous one has your spine at what I believe to be a better angle.  Of course, this "advice" hinges on whether or not post 102 was, in fact, a push draw.  If it wasn't, please disregard everything I said. But if it was a push draw, maybe experiment with that feeling and see what happens.

Originally Posted by BostonBrew

Just watched the three most recent videos you've posted. The one thing that stood out to me (this may seem strange) was your chin position. I just read a piece, can't remember if it was Golf Digest or not, about Tiger describing why you need to keep your chin up. Promotes better posture and allows your shoulders to make a full turn was the synopsis I got from it. The second video, you can clearly see your chin is up as opposed to the other two. The fuller shoulder turn, as a result of your posture from the chin, might help you rotate better.

Or I could be way off mark with this... haha.

Yeah that was Golf Magazine that you saw that article.  It could be that I am over exaggerating the upper body posture and chin down, I don't know.  With the instruction I have been getting though this kind of posture is considered better with the image on the right:

A1 comparison dtl.jpg

http://thesandtrap.com/t/56069/good-golf-posture

Some curve in the upper back should allow a better turn and having the chin down a bit allows a better field of vision to the ball.  Again, maybe I am doing something too much or am too chin down, IDK.  Thanks for pointing the differences out in the two videos, I did not notice that.

Nate

Originally Posted by Golfingdad

Post 103 says push cuts.  Was post 102 also push cuts, or did that one have better ball flight?  I ask because when I'm having trouble with push cuts, one thing I fall back on is something Mike said to me last year during a 5SK school I went to.  And that is that I should kinda feel like I'm leaning towards the right (out over where the ball used to be) at the end of my swing.  When I do that, I hit push draws (assuming I'm not having other issues obviously) and when I don't do that - when I stand up straighter in the follow through - I hit push cuts.

It appears that your push cut video has you finishing straighter (maybe you "stood up out of the shot?"), yet the previous one has your spine at what I believe to be a better angle.  Of course, this "advice" hinges on whether or not post 102 was, in fact, a push draw.  If it wasn't, please disregard everything I said.    But if it was a push draw, maybe experiment with that feeling and see what happens.

Post 102 was a slight straight pull...I believe.  Essentially if I pull it I can hit it straight, but any push is a cut.  I think you are right on even though 102 was not a push draw.  I might be coming up early, maybe a bit of EE.  Not sure.  I know that when I had my abbreviated clunky follow through I was hitting push draws and now that I am trying to finish taller I started having some of these issues.  This is even before switching the back swing up in my last lesson.  So really I started having trouble drawing the ball when I changed my finish position I guess you could say.   But..this swing looks sexier, so I got that going for me...  Thanks for the help!

Nate

Pretty sure this is the problem right here. Haha! :). Oops. On the left today, on the right a few weeks ago. All you need to do is look at the face angle. I am guessing I need a bit more right wrist bend/extension at A4. Something with the new back swing has caused me to lose the extension, and open up the club face. Not sure why that would happen. That is what I make payments to evolvr for though. I am thinking when I was laying the club off before it was actually helping me get into right wrist extension late and now that I am not laid off I have to add it earlier.

Nate

Note: This thread is 877 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!