IGNORED

2013 Masters Discussion Thread, Update with Tiger's Illegal Drop (Post #343)

iacas
Note: This thread is 4028 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Originally Posted by Zeph

That changes things a bit. By changing the ruling, they made a big mistake. If there is room in the rules to not DQ based on that though, I don't know.

Ahhhh, so this isnt entirely on TW now is it? See the power of reading and investigating can unveil the truth.

:tmade: R1 Driver
:tmade: Burner 18.5 Wood
:tmade: Rocketballz 19 Rescue

:mizuno: MP-59 4-PW Irons
:cleveland: CG16 52, 56
:cleveland: Classic Mallet Putter

:bridgestone: e5 Ball

That changes things a bit. By changing the ruling, they made a big mistake. If there is room in the rules to not DQ based on that though, I don't know.

They can waive the penalty of DQ if they believe it is exceptional circumstances. That is how they have come up with this ruling. Tiger has got a lucky break due to a series of mistakes by the committee. Unfortunately I think it may taint the tournament depending on how the weekend works out.

Oh shit Brad Faxon goin off. Love it. Sit down Chamblee.

I'm confused by the statement they released. So was Tiger informed by the committee that he did not violate the rule BEFORE signing his card? If so, the 2-stroke penalty is probably the correct one. If he was never consulted and signed his card, he should've been DQ'd.

And John Cook goin off as well. Man I love this. The best answer is for TW to WD and basically say, I didnt know I made a mistake, but I did. However, the reason I am WDing is b/c the committee brought this shit storm on itself.

Ahhhh, so this isnt entirely on TW now is it? See the power of reading and investigating can unveil the truth.

Tiger is very lucky. He botched a pretty simple rules situation. And then signed for an incorrect score. He was only saved by the committee screwing up too.

Am I the only one who thinks that the official statement released by Augusta National seems like a complete coverup in order to justify this ruling of a 2-stroke penalty instead of a DQ? Did they really discuss this issue with Tiger before he signed his scorecard and 'ok' it with him, only to go back later in the night and change their decision. Seems like a complete coverup in order to keep him playing for the weekend.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Originally Posted by Mordan

They can waive the penalty of DQ if they believe it is exceptional circumstances. That is how they have come up with this ruling.

Tiger has got a lucky break due to a series of mistakes by the committee. Unfortunately I think it may taint the tournament depending on how the weekend works out.

I can't help but believe that the "exceptional circumstances" are the TV ratings. The green jackets are pressuring the officials to find a way around this.

Tiger needs to disqualify himself. God forbid he win the thing and this hangs over the rest of his career.

JMO.

Bill M

They are still using rule 33-7, which isn't right. There may be a rule that give them this ability when they screw up, but I haven't seen talk of it yet. What if they weren't informed of this until after his round? Would be still be given two shots?

Ogio Grom | Callaway X Hot Pro | Callaway X-Utility 3i | Mizuno MX-700 23º | Titleist Vokey SM 52.08, 58.12 | Mizuno MX-700 15º | Titleist 910 D2 9,5º | Scotty Cameron Newport 2 | Titleist Pro V1x and Taylormade Penta | Leupold GX-1

Originally Posted by trh98

I'm confused by the statement they released. So was Tiger informed by the committee that he did not violate the rule BEFORE signing his card? If so, the 2-stroke penalty is probably the correct one.

If he was never consulted and signed his card, he should've been DQ'd.

I believe they notified him before he signed his card that they have reviewed everything and looked into the drop. Then they notified him everything was fine. He signs his card and all is peachy in Georgia. Then the committee reviews it further and realizes, oh shit, yeah that was not right. This is not TW's fault at all.

The only thing evident to me is certain media celebs in their attempt to make a case for the integrity of the game have revealed themselves to be bitter souls. If the matter at hand concerned anyone but Tiger I don't think they would be as animated about it. It's clear a few are trying to shame him into DQing himself simply because they are anti Tiger. Their passive aggressive behavior is far worse than any breech of the rules.

• Upvote 1

Dave :-)

I believe they notified him before he signed his card that they have reviewed everything and looked into the drop. Then they notified him everything was fine. He signs his card and all is peachy in Georgia. Then the committee reviews it further and realizes, oh shit, yeah that was not right. This is not TW's fault at all.

Rubbish. He screwed up a straight forward rules situation. He should be embarrassed. But he's not the only one who should be embarrassed by this whole incident.

Originally Posted by Dave2512

The only thing evident to me is certain media celebs in their attempt to make a case for the integrity of the game have revealed themselves to be bitter souls. If the matter at hand concerned anyone but Tiger I don't think they would be as animated about it. It's clear a few are trying to shame him into DQing himself simply because they are anti Tiger. Their passive aggressive behavior is far worse than any breech of the rules.

I am a big fan. I anticipated a Saturday charge and looked forward to more on Sunday. I still think it is in his best interest to DQ himself. He can't win, ESPECIALLY if he wins the thing. It will never go away and dog him for the rest of his career.

Bill M

Originally Posted by Mordan

Rubbish. He screwed up a straight forward rules situation. He should be embarrassed.

But he's not the only one who should be embarrassed by this whole incident.

Which is why I still think its best for TW to WD. But this is on the committee. Dont even give me that shit. They reviewed everything and told him all was good. How is it his fault if the rules committee tells you, we reviewed everything and its ok.

The mess-up with the review of the situation is the committee's fault, but it's Tiger's fault for making the error in the first place. I can't see any rule which could've saved him, if the committee hadn't messed up. I haven't seen a rule which could redeem their action at this point. My point is that even with the error of the committee, how do they explain him not being DQ'd? Which rule apply?

Ogio Grom | Callaway X Hot Pro | Callaway X-Utility 3i | Mizuno MX-700 23º | Titleist Vokey SM 52.08, 58.12 | Mizuno MX-700 15º | Titleist 910 D2 9,5º | Scotty Cameron Newport 2 | Titleist Pro V1x and Taylormade Penta | Leupold GX-1

Originally Posted by Frank-0-Sport

Greetings ....

USA Today just posted this article --- RE Tiger's penalty, along with an explanation of why he was not DQ'd

Thanx-A-Lot, Frank-0-Sport

Thanks for posting that link - the key there is the committee's initial review and approval of the drop.  That provides them some "political cover" for waiving the DQ, even though I still disagree with them.

Originally Posted by Zeph

This falls kind of in between a case where the player screws up on his own, and a player screws up with a rules official right there telling him what to do.  Clearly the drop was wrong and should be a penalty.  But the committee screwed up big time by not talking to him before he signed his scorecard, AFTER there was a question raised about the drop while he was still playing, and could have corrected the scorecard before signing it.  The committee seems to feel that gives them the leeway to waive the penalty and I guess an argument can be made to that effect.

However, if that is the case I disagree with the Committee.  The fact that THEY screwed up does not allow them to ignore, by waiving the DQ, the rules.  I am still hoping that Tiger WDs on his own.

But then again, what the hell do I know?

Rich - in name only

Note: This thread is 4028 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!