IGNORED

Short Putts...

Note: This thread is 6121 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

1. 1. How do you play your short putts (3-5 feet)?

• Take out the break
    • Die it in

Do you putt them hard to the back of the cup to take out the break or die them in? I lipped out 3 putts from 3-4 feet today on the high side of the hole. I think I might start playing them dead straight unless it's a large break. Which do you do, and how many putts per round are you averaging?

I hit the ball hard enough to take the break out of play, unless it's really severe. The problem being of course, if I pull or push the putt, it goes five feet past. I average 35 putts a round - lag putting absolutely sucks, but I'm money inside five feet.
"Shouldn't you be going faster? I mean, you're doing 40 in a 65..."

Driver: Burner TP 9.5*
3 Wood: 906F2 15*
2I: Eye 23I-PW: 3100 I/HWedges: Vokey Spin-Milled 56*06, MP-R 52*07/60*05Putter: Victoria IIBall: Pro V1xCheck out my new blog: Thousand Yard DriveHome Course: Kenton County...

i like to die it in because, like lamebums said, if i mishit it im left with another 5 footer back.

905R
LD-F 3-Wood
Vokey Oil-Can 252-08 degree
Cobra C Wedge 56-11 Vokey Oil-Can 260-08 degree Scotty Cameron Newport 2 35'' Pro V1x

I do both, but I generally try to die it in the hole unless I'm below the hole without too much side break.

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend.
Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.
--Groucho Marx

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Peltz and his pals can take that 17 inches and do you know what with it! My wife (who is a "jam 'em in" type) says I'll probably die at the breakfast table IN FRONT of my coffee cup. Whatever - I'm the cautious, don't like taking chances, type. dayll

If it's ALOT of break, I hit it firm, yet AIM towards the middle-edge of the cup so it gives me some room for error.

Driver Ping G10 10.5*
Hybrids Ping G5 (3) 19* Bridgestone J36 (4) 22*
Irons Mizuno MP-57 5-PW
Wedges Srixon WG-504 52.08 Bridgestone WC Copper 56.13
Putter 33" Scotty Cameron Studio Select #2

Die at the hole on downhill putts, take the break out on uphill putts.

Driver: Ping Rapture V2 9° TFS Stiff | 3 wood: Exotics CB 15° Fujikura HL Stiff | Hybrids: Adams Idea Tech V3 16° Stiff, TM Burner Rescue 19° & 22° REAX Stiff | Irons: Titleist 735.CM DG S300 5-PW | Wedges: Vokey Oil Can 254.10, 258.08 | Putter: Rossa Imola 34"

What do I do or what do I want to do? Sometimes two different things Seriously though I'm working on hitting those 3-5 footers firm and in the hole and I've putted them pretty well lately. So often I too read break that's not really there and miss it one way or the other because of it. I'm working on being more aggressive and not giving the hole away. Now of course you can have different 3-5 footers... if it's fast and downhill I'm not going to smash the ball...

Driver: 09 Launcher 10.5
4 Wood: 09 Launcher Steel 17
Hybrid: Baffler DWS 20 Aldila Reg
Irons: AP1 4-GW Steel
Wedges: 588 Gunmetal 56 & 60Putter: Studio Style Newport 2Ball: NXT Tour

I power it in there, another weird thing i do as for mental goes i always think "Even if it doesnt go in it still counts" although it doesnt, it still gives me soo much more confidence for some reason.
In My Bag

Driver: Sasquatch 460 9.5°
3 Wood: Laser 3 Wood 15°
5 Wood: r7 19° (Stiff)Irons: S58 Irons 4-PW Orange DotWedge: Harmonized 60°Wedge: Z TP 54°Putter: Tiffany 34"Balls: Pro V1 Shoes: Adidas Tour 360 IIThe Meadows Golf Coursewww.themeadowsgc.comAge: 16

I like to bounce it off the back of the hole. In 20 rounds this year my average is 32.5 putts per round.......
I've spent most of my life golfing - the rest I've just wasted.

In my bag todayâ¦.
Driver: 2009 S9-1 10.5
19d Hybrid4-SW:2008 FP 58/10 Mizuno MP T-10Putter: White Hot XG Sabertooth

• Administrator

Ditto. Where's the option for "depends on the situation"?

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

i take the break out unless its downhill then i dont take the risk of flying it past.

In the Wilson Stand Bag

Driver:........Ping........G5 Reg shaft
3 Wood:......Mitsushiba.........M575-15°

Irons:.........Taylormade RocketBallz......3 Hybrid - PW..Stiff Shafts

Wedges:....Cleveland CG16 56 & 60

Oh man, I die 'em in. From five feet??? Oh, yeah. A two-footer I might bash through a hard break. If I miss, I want the ball to stop. Besides, I'm pretty good a limping them in.

WIMB
TaylorMade Burner driver 10.5* REAX Reg
TaylorMade Burner 3-wood 15* REAX Reg
Mizuno MX-23 4-PW Reg Steel
Mizuno MP Series forged wedges 52, 56, 60
Putter:  Odyssey White Hot Rossie 36" --  Ball: Snell MTB Black

I used to play them without break. But my problem was that I'd blow them 5-10 ft past. So...

Now one of my coaches tought me lag putting, and it's dropped by putt av. by about 5-6 strokes. So I die them.
WITB

Driver - Taylormade r7 Quad 10.5˚ Fujijura E360 Stiff
Woods - Sonartec SS 2.5 13˚ HST Penley Tour Stiff
Hybrid - Sonartec HB-001 19˚ HST Penley Tour StiffIrons - Mizuno MP-67 Forged 4-PW, DGS300Wedges - Callaway Forged 50˚ and 54˚, Walter Hagen 60˚Putter - Nike T130 O/S Mallet Ctr Shaft 33"B...

I do the same. If I miss going downhill I don't want to end up off the green.

I used to play them without break. But my problem was that I'd blow them 5-10 ft past. So...

5 or 10 ft by the hole!!. That is hitting it a little too firm.

Hitting a putt that dies in the hole has to be way more precise than one that is hit with more pace on it. I tend to be firm with my 3-5 footers with a miss leaving me another 2-3 feet at most. Straight downhill is a different story.
In My Bag:

Driver: taylormade.gif R11 TP 9˚ -Diamana Kai'li 65
Woods: cleveland.gif Launcher FL 13˚
Hybrids: titleist.gif909H 19˚, 24˚Irons: mizuno.gif MP-53  5-P Wedges:  mizuno.gif MP-T11 50, 54 titleist.gifBlack Nickel 58.08 Putter: cleveland.gifClassic Black Platinum #2 Ball: titleist.gif ProV1x -  Hole-in-one 4/17/09 www.colonialcountryclub.org

5 or 10 ft by the hole!!. That is hitting it a little too firm.

What green speed do you play on. My course runs 12-13.5 feet on the stimpmeter. If you take the break out of a reasonably flat putt, it's 5 feet past the hole. Downhill? If could easily go off the green. Think US Open speeds.

Driver- Geek Dot Com This! 12 degree Matrix Ozik Xcon 6 Stiff
Adams Tour Issue 4350 Dual Can Matrix Ozik Xcon 5

Hybrids- Srixon 18 deg
Srixon 21 deg Irons- Tourstage Z101 3-PW w/Nippon NS Pro 950 GH - Stiff Srixon i701 4-PW w/ Nippon NS Pro 950 GH-Stiff MacGregor...

Note: This thread is 6121 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!