IGNORED

do you tip for bag drop? do you tip for cleaning your clubs at the end of your round?

Note: This thread is 3774 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Since the subject has turned to tipping in general, I'll add my sincere two cents.

Yeah, I too have spent a lot of time rendering services that generally command tips. Specifically, delivering Domino's pizza.

I never expected to be treated like a king delivering some of the world's crappiest pizza... but I think it's fair to say that one should at least give a dollar plus the leftover change. If the total was $18.42, And I received a $20, I was reasonably happy.

Unfortunately, working in an urban area, a solid 20% of my customers were deplorable cheapasses, and did not tip. That always made me very angry. Apparently they seem to think gasoline and car maintenance are free. I hate to bring it up, but it's true: work in a tipping industry like I did, and you'll quickly learn that minorities are terrible tippers.

I have the statistical proof to back it up. Because of the trend I was noticing, I once decided to track the tips on 100 consecutive non-college-student deliveries. College students were eliminated from the study because we were located next door to the college, and ALL of them tip horribly.

Minorities were out-tipped by a factor of nearly 3-to-1.

I guess I had too much time on my hands at that point in my life.

taylormade.gif Burner Superfast 1.0: 10.5* Driver, 15* 3-wood

adams.gif a5OS Hybrid/Irons Set: 3h-5h, 6-PW

adams.gif "Tom Watson Classic" Wedges: 52*, 56*, 60*
taylormade.gif Est 79 TM-770 Putter, "Fontana" Pattern

xFIXx

I'm a serial over tipper. Consequently get very good service, which I like, and people are happy (or at least act happy) to see me, which I also like. So I guess I look at it as kind of an investment in my personal brand equity. :)
  • Upvote 1

Stretch.

"In the process of trial and error, our failed attempts are meant to destroy arrogance and provoke humility." -- Master Jin Kwon

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I work at a golf course and I am the cart man, picking up you from your cars, cleaning your clubs ect. Tipping is not required, what I believe it should be based on is if you get to your clubs and you are like "wow those are pretty clean" then maybe a $2 but if you are not impressed don't feel as if you should have to tip. Like said above tips are not expected at all.

Originally Posted by keller19xc

I work at a golf course and I am the cart man, picking up you from your cars, cleaning your clubs ect.

Tipping is not required, what I believe it should be based on is if you get to your clubs and you are like "wow those are pretty clean" then maybe a $2 but if you are not impressed don't feel as if you should have to tip. Like said above tips are not expected at all.

I like your attitude. Thanks a lot!

anytime service is provided, I always tip 5 bucks, but a 2-3 dollars is acceptable. i don't wait until the end because it might not be the same game when i finish my round.  lots of times they are kids making minimum wage. I am blessed with lots of money and the ability to play golf anytime.  These kids are serving me, and i want to make there day. I use to caddy at the age of 13 and i was skinny.  When i carry your bag that weighs a ton for 5 hours, I am only expecting an amazing tip. I usually get it because now that I am older I want to treat them the way I wanted to be tipped when i was a little kid.

• 8 months later...

To the people that don't give the kid a dollar or two: are you really that ignorant as to think they are making minimum wage or more?  It  would be the same as not giving your waiter anything.  It's a profession, and believe it or not, some of them make their living off of it.  Shame on you for not giving them a couple bucks.  Just like eating out, if you can't "afford" to give the kid a dollar or two, you shouldn't play the course.  Stick to the munies, and if you can't afford to tip the server when you eat out, stay home and cook for yourself.  Unreal.

Living in New England, as I do, I never saw this practice (wiping clubs after a round) until I went to Florida last year.  I found it annoying, about like the street people that accost vehicles at traffic lights with dirty rags to wash windshields for a tip.  I prefer to be left alone.

Per the picture in your avatar (if that is you) you look to be miserable, and you SHOULD be left alone.  You will also die alone (soon) and I'm sure your family, if you have any, probably hate you too.

$5/bag.....hmmmmmm. That's $20 a foursome and assuming 6 tee times an hour.....that's a slick $120/hr to hang out at the 18th green on a busy weekend. Who says working weekends in retirement isn't great. Where do I apply?

You should probably stick to elk hunting, sir, as you have 0 experience in the customer service industry.  You don't deserve to grace a golf course.  This logic is why common sense isn't (you may say "aint") isn't so common anymore.

That's one way to look at it.  But it's not the only way.

I would argue that if you're already charging me $75 for a round of golf, then why do you need to nickel and dime me for an extra service that I did not ask for, I don't want, and since I clean my own clubs after every shot anyway, I don't need?

I'd rather just pay $80 for the round.

Also, why do you need 8 guys at the bag drop? ;)

Wow, really?  Obviously you have no idea as to what happens at a golf course.  Move to Canada.

I hate our tipping culture. I like to know what I'm paying for up front. I've accepted that at restaurants you must tip. It makes sense because you want to ensure the food you'll be consuming is clean and safe to eat. I don't get why we've created a need to every other service provider. Put the cost of your time/effort in the service! The real problem is that tipping has gone to a nice to have (which someone who worked in this role mentioned earlier) to a must have. As in, you screwed me b/c you didn't give me any money for the 10sec I spent wiping a towel on your clubs. Or you screwed me because you didn't tip for the $50 cab ride. Tips are for service above and beyond; they're not for a person just doing his/her job.

I don't even know what to say to this, other than, get with the times, guy.  Or move to another place other than the U.S.

When you pull up to the bag drop area the guys pulling your clubs out are usually high school kids or college kids on summer break so I'm happy to shell out a few dollars to them. The same goes with cleaning your clubs after the round.

I do not tip at Bag Drop, but I do tip every time at end, whether they clean clubs or not.  Standard tip is $5 per bag.  I tip after every round.  Play twice in one day, or 2 or 3 days in a row, give 'em a tip.  My feeling is that these guys work for the tips, as I would not expect the hourly pay to be enough to keep them there.

Roy

You should probably stick to elk hunting, sir, as you have 0 experience in the customer service industry.  You don't deserve to grace a golf course.  This logic is why common sense isn't (you may say "aint") isn't so common anymore.

Someone forget to take their meds today?

• Administrator

Someone forget to take their meds today?

I don't know, but I restricted him from the thread.

• Upvote 1

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

I don't like ANYBODY messing my clubs. I have towels on my bag for cleaning. Now, if the guy/girl brings me a beer, I'll tip to that. I don't need or want anybody lugging my bag or cleaning my clubs except me.

:tmade: R15 14* Matrix Black Tie 7m3

:adams: Speedline Super S 3w & 5w Matrix Radix HD S VI

:callaway: X-12 4-PW Memphis 10

IONNOVEX  Type S GDT 50*, 54* & 62* Mitsubishi Rayon Kuro Kage Black 80ir

:odyssey: Tri-Ball SRT

-Landon

I don't mind it. Just another add on.

As for tipping, depends. Sometimes I just forget. This kind of service isn't common on public golf courses in Ohio. I've only seen it at a few resorts down south, and at a few private golf clubs in Ohio. Since I can count on two hands out of all the times I played golf that my clubs were cleaned for me after a round, remembering to tip is tough. Honestly, this service is usually accompanied by a caddy, so they usually get tipped for being the caddy first. If it is a guy who handles the bags before and after the round, depends on if I remember, or if I even have a few bucks on me. I usually don't carry cash around on me that much.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

Originally Posted by Golfingdad

That's one way to look at it. But it's not the only way.

I would argue that if you're already charging me $75 for a round of golf, then why do you need to nickel and dime me for an extra service that I did not ask for, I don't want, and since I clean my own clubs after every shot anyway, I don't need?

I'd rather just pay $80 for the round.

Also, why do you need 8 guys at the bag drop? ;)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rtsrman3911

Wow, really?  Obviously you have no idea as to what happens at a golf course.  Move to Canada.

I don't mind it. Just another add on.

As for tipping, depends. Sometimes I just forget. This kind of service isn't common on public golf courses in Ohio. I've only seen it at a few resorts down south, and at a few private golf clubs in Ohio. Since I can count on two hands out of all the times I played golf that my clubs were cleaned for me after a round, remembering to tip is tough. Honestly, this service is usually accompanied by a caddy, so they usually get tipped for being the caddy first. If it is a guy who handles the bags before and after the round, depends on if I remember, or if I even have a few bucks on me. I usually don't carry cash around on me that much.

LOL ... I realize that rtsrman is just an idiot troll, but I'll clarify anyways, just for fun. ;)  I simply said that it would be easier to just pay a little extra for the round, then have them pay the kids a bigger salary, than always have to worry about having a few bucks cash on hand.  What's wrong with that?  I, like @saevel25 , don't walk around with a lot of cash.  I like to give the kids a few bucks if I have it, but sometimes I don't.  I'm always happy to tip, but I don't always have the money, and in those cases, I'd rather that they didn't just start washing my clubs and end up getting nothing for it.  I want them to save their energy.

(Just as a related note:  There are 3 one-dollar bills in my wallet right now - yes, that's it, 3 - and those 3 bills have been sitting there, by themselves, for at least a full week.  Cash is practically obsolele for me.)

Note: This thread is 3774 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!