IGNORED

Looking at Game Improvement Irons

Note: This thread is 6090 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I have been golfing for about four years but never seriously, and never more than six or seven times a year for my junior league with my buddies. This summer I’ve made a point of getting out approximately once a week with a few outings to the range in between. Now that I’ve developed a strong passion for golfing, and that I’m more serious about the sport, I’m looking at buying a solid set of irons. Seeing as I’m still learning and usually manage a round in the high 90s at best, I’ve been thinking some game-improvement irons would be a good idea.

I am not really a power hitter and I haven’t gotten the chance to work with a launch monitor or anything yet. My swing speed is a bit slower than others, and generally I tend to push the ball off to left with my driver (I’m a lefty). The few times it goes straight, it tends to sail into a banana slice. I’m in the process of taking a few private lessons and the advice I’ve received thus far has worked wonders. My stance has changed for the better, my swing speed has increased safely, my head stays down, and I’m aware that I need to roll my hands (this roll was non-existent previously and was causing me to leave the clubface open at address).

I’m wondering what your suggestions are concerning a set of game-improvement irons for someone who is serious about improving their game. I’d like them to be able to grow with me, but realistically, I can see myself getting a new set in a few years if my mechanics improve. I plan on getting fitted soon and just wanted to hear any advice you might have on a few different sets. In my research I have read the most about the TaylorMade r7 Draw, Cobra S9, Mizuno MX-19, and Titleist 775.CB irons. Any recommendations?

(My price range is flexible, I don't mind paying more if I'll get more in return)

1st of all the hosel on your clubs ar on the wrong side!

:tmade: R15 14* Matrix Black Tie 7m3

:adams: Speedline Super S 3w & 5w Matrix Radix HD S VI

:callaway: X-12 4-PW Memphis 10

IONNOVEX  Type S GDT 50*, 54* & 62* Mitsubishi Rayon Kuro Kage Black 80ir

:odyssey: Tri-Ball SRT

-Landon

I can't say enough about my new Cleveland CG4's I just picked up off of eBay for $299 US. All in with shipping, currency conversion, duty (I'm in Canada too) and taxes it was just over $400. Golf Digest rated these clubs a Silver on their 2007 hotlist. If you have a Golftown in your neighbourhood they are selling them for $598 CAD which I still think is a bargain.

I use to use blades (Mizuno MP29's) that I thought I'd use forever. I had them in my bag for 8 years but improved very little (Handicap 14 to 9). Once I put these Clevelands in my bag I dropped a full point in my handicap now down to an 8 after 4 good rounds. The clubs essentially saved me about 3 to 4 strokes per round when I know I hit some shots a little fat or off centre. Those scores would have thus been in the low 80's rather than the mid to high 70's I posted.

I can see using these clubs for a very long time as I'm only getting older now. Don't get all caught up in having to evolve into blades... there are some very good cavity back game improvement irons available that will help your game immensely and allow you to have fun at the same time. These CG4's with the help of technology feel very good as they have some extra carbon injected into to the clubhead.

Good luck!

What's In my bag:

Driver: TaylorMade R5 Dual 9.5* UST Proforce V2 77g S
3Wood: Mizuno F-60 13.5* Mizuno Exsar 75S
Hybrid: Adams Idea Pro 3/4 Aldila VS Proto 80SIrons: Adams Pro Forged (5-PW) True Temper Black Gold SWedges: Cleveland 588 (3) 50, 588 (DSG) 54 & 60Putter: Ping i-Series Craz-EBalls:.....

All the clubs you mentioned would be good to try out. Only you can decide what you really like though...good example: My neighbor plays a set of TM R7 irons and his game has improved dramatically and he loves the irons. I've tried his at the range as well as some at at golf shop range and I don't like them at all. But, I've heard nothing but good things about them from others, so it's probably me. But don't buy something because others like them or you could get something that doesn't work for you and you'll have no confidence in them.

Good luck,
Chris
What's in the bag?
Taylormade R7 Superquad
TaylorMade Burner 3W & 5W
Hogan Edge Hybrid 21*
Mizuno MX20 4-PWCleveland 588 GW & CG10 SWOdyssey 2-Ball Center ShaftTitleist NXT Tour

Srixon I-403 AD 4-PW True Temper Dynamic Lite R-flex 8.5/10... $180 shipped
Contact me if interested.

LB

:tmade: R15 14* Matrix Black Tie 7m3

:adams: Speedline Super S 3w & 5w Matrix Radix HD S VI

:callaway: X-12 4-PW Memphis 10

IONNOVEX  Type S GDT 50*, 54* & 62* Mitsubishi Rayon Kuro Kage Black 80ir

:odyssey: Tri-Ball SRT

-Landon

I can't say enough about my new Cleveland CG4's I just picked up off of eBay for $299 US. All in with shipping, currency conversion, duty (I'm in Canada too) and taxes it was just over $400. Golf Digest rated these clubs a Silver on their 2007 hotlist. If you have a Golftown in your neighbourhood they are selling them for $598 CAD which I still think is a bargain.

I have the CG4 tours and I love them, great feedback but also forgiving. I've had them for over a year now, and the only thing I've noticed is that my 9i has quite a bit of wear on it, perhaps from the softer alloy knocking against my other wedges. Havn't noticed it on any of the other clubs though. I switched from TA5s and took the time to get fitted at the local golf galaxy, with my tradein they were around 400.

What's In The Bag
Driver: TM Burner stiff
3i Cleveland Hibore Hybrid
3-6: MX-23
7-PW: MP-60 Project X 5.5SW: Golden Bear hybridLW/GW Cleveland 60* and Tour Edge 50*Putter: two bar rifle malletBall: NXT TourHome Course: Raintree CC 70.7/126 North 71/130 Southhttp://stink.net

Callaway x-20's. Amazing clubs for the game improver. I got them about 2 months ago and with the exception of the rare mishit they are the straightest irons. You really have to mishit too, I do it about once every two rounds and move my head. Unfortunately you really have to overcompensate to hit a draw or fade, but for dead straight shots they are the best. Other than that will improve your game, they did to mine. Also of note I got the uniflex steel ones. Great Irons, good price (i think golfsmith gives you an ipod or something with them now) and very forgiving.

I second that. I love my CG4's aswell.

Maybe demo some Cobra's... my cousin has some and they're so easy to hit.

Callaway x-20's. Amazing clubs for the game improver. I got them about 2 months ago and with the exception of the rare mishit they are the straightest irons. You really have to mishit too, I do it about once every two rounds and move my head. Unfortunately you really have to overcompensate to hit a draw or fade, but for dead straight shots they are the best. Other than that will improve your game, they did to mine. Also of note I got the uniflex steel ones. Great Irons, good price (i think golfsmith gives you an ipod or something with them now) and very forgiving.

my lefty golfing buddy switched from titleist to these and a week later shot the best round of his life. they are offset and he loves that. he hits much straighter now.

In my wasabe green ozone bag:

Hibore 9.5° w/ UST V2 Stiff Shaft Driver

G10 15° 1H w/ UST V2 Stiff Shaft G10 18° 2H w/ UST V2 Stiff Shaft T-Zoid Pro 3-PW S300 CG10 52° 2 Dot Black Pearl CG10 56° 2 Dot Black Pearl Newport 2 TerylliumLow Score = 88

In my research I have read the most about the TaylorMade r7 Draw, Cobra S9, Mizuno MX-19, and Titleist 775.CB irons. Any recommendations?

You might want to add the TaylorMade r7 (Not the draw version), Callaway X-18 (they're cheaper now besides no significant difference with X-20) or X-20, Callaway Big Bertha Fusion (3 consecutive years GD Gold Medalist surely means something), Mizuno MX-25 on your list. Try them all out until one of them clicks.

What's in the bag:
Driver: r7 SuperQuad 10.5° ~ UST Proforce V2 65g Regular
Wood: 906F4 18.5° ~ Aldila VS Proto 80g Stiff
Irons: MP-60 3-PW ~ True Temper Tour Concept S3
Wedges: Vokey Oil Can 252.08, SM56.10 & SM60.08Putter: Marxman Mallet 33"

Geez, now I can't wait to get out to golf galaxy this weekend. Lots of love for the Clevelands and Callaways it seems, I'll be swinging everything I've heard here that I can get my hands on.

i hated how the x20's looked but i told myself i would hit them because my dad and my brother both play callaways, brother a scratch golfer that has had his x12's for probably 5-6 years? and my dad has x18 tours and he loves them!

i tried the 775's and the x20's felt so much better and they are so much easier to hit!
Driver 907D1
Hibore XL 9.5 V2 67G S
3 Wood 200 Steel S90 Rifle
Hybrid 3 Baffler
Irons x20 Tours Flighted 6.0's 4-PWedges Oil Can 52.08 Bent to 51* 56:14 Raw Vokey & Mizuno 60*Putter Anser 5 " Probably had it for 12 yearsBall ProV1x

i'm also looking at getting some new irons. i was thinking about getting the nike ignite's but i haven't heard anything about them. also thinking about the nike cci cast irons. i use graphite shafts right now, so i'll probably stick with that unless someone can convince me otherwise. any advice?

DCap, how old are you if you don't mind me asking. A guy at the local Edwin watts told me that unless you're having joint issues, or just not strong enough to swing a steel shaft, there is no need for graphite on your irons. Something about the flex of the shaft with a strong swing will not make the ball fly as true as a steel shaft. He could have been blowing smoke, but i'm too new to the game to disagree with him (unless someone here can correct me).

As far as the nike's go, i haven't heard anything at all about the ignites. I've only heard about the NDS clubs that are discontinued as being a very good game improvement set.

I'm personally leaning towards the cleveland CG4's, or the Big Bertha's. I need to go hit and get fitted once i get some extra cash to see what i like best though.

flux
I'm only at 13 clubs in the bag, what do you reccomend as a 14th? My foot wedge?

In the bag:
Driver - HiBore XL 10.5* Reg. Flex Fit- on Fuji GoldWoods - Tightlies GT2: 3 wood 15* & 5 wood 19* Surpass 7 wood 24*Irons - Eye 2 4-PW & a cheesey 1 iron blade I use for punch...

really? hmmm... i'm just 22 so i think my joints are ok. i just like the lighter feel of the graphite. i might look into the cleveland cg4, but i was wondering if anyone had heard anything one way or the other on the nike ignites.

yea, i'm only 25, and i have a very slow/weak swing, but the guy strongly recommended i stay away from graphite shafts on my irons.
I'm only at 13 clubs in the bag, what do you reccomend as a 14th? My foot wedge?

In the bag:
Driver - HiBore XL 10.5* Reg. Flex Fit- on Fuji GoldWoods - Tightlies GT2: 3 wood 15* & 5 wood 19* Surpass 7 wood 24*Irons - Eye 2 4-PW & a cheesey 1 iron blade I use for punch...

More and more people are starting to use graphite in their irons. I have two sets and like the set with graphite shafts better. I'm still young (under 40) and have a pretty strong swing. It's just a matter of prference.

I don't think the sales guy was blowing smoke. If he was, he would have steered you towards the graphite, they are more expensive.

Generally speaking, graphite shafts flex more than steel shafts. They tend to give you more distance at the cost of control. They tend to go on clubs for people who don't have the strength to swing a steel shaft, or the ability to absorb strong feedback on mishits since they generally transmit less "feel" back to the body.

That is, at least, the conventional wisdom. It's just a matter of preference, really, though. Whatever you can hit the best and you feel comfortable and confident with is probably what's best for you. I'm 29 and swing stiff steel shafts on my irons and stiff graphite on my woods.

Note: This thread is 6090 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!