IGNORED

My Swing (nevets88)

nevets88

16 hours ago, iacas said:

I normally think the "ground" stuff is over-rated, but you aren't making the most "athletic" move here or really using the ground much.

First, your setup is in your heels a bit. Not a ton, but enough that I'd change it. It limits how athletic you can be:

01.jpg

Then, your hips and knees and legs are just kinda "wobbly" and they're even wobbling the wrong direction near the end of the backswing:

02.jpg

You can see these in motion, of course, a bit more. You're "wobbly" on your feet and your knees and hips, partly from balance, partly from just being wobbly and not making a controlled but athletic, aggressive pivot.

Yeah I don’t feel centered. You can see pressure on the outside of the trail foot at A4. I also wonder if I’m just loosing my sense of balance getting older. 

So more hump the giraffe?

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• Administrator
10 hours ago, nevets88 said:

Yeah I don’t feel centered. You can see pressure on the outside of the trail foot at A4. I also wonder if I’m just loosing my sense of balance getting older. 

So more hump the giraffe?

I don't think you can blame getting older. Learn to turn "into" the ground a bit more.

And no, probably not more giraffe.

• Thumbs Up 1

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Tried to get setup less in heels more in balls of feet. More turn into the ground and athletic pivot. Weight is really winding in the front part of lead foot at the end. Part of my thinking in more athletic pivot is less flakey, more conviction.

• Thumbs Up 1

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

• Administrator

Those look better.

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

• 2 weeks later...

More of the same. Pretty used to weight less in heels more balls of feet now. Trying to turn into the ground here which actually gets my hands higher at A4. Caught this heavy.

• Thumbs Up 1

Steve

• 2 weeks later...

Same stuff with the driver. Haven't been practicing with driver much, not as aggressive with the pivot. Not sure if it looks wobbly but should look better with more practice. Easy swings, happy to shallow and keep clubhead in front of body while not coming in on top of ball, looks like it's in to out.

• Thumbs Up 1

Steve

• 3 weeks later...

Tweaked back 2.5 weeks ago, was crawling on all fours to pick stuff up from the floor, it was really bad for a day or two, took about a week to feel normal-ish, another week or so of no golf to be on the cautious side. Back still tender, but at least I can make a decent pass at it. Still working on turning into the ground, keeping the head relatively still, aggressive pivot. Swaying here last swing of the session. Also regress sometimes back to weight on heels. Constantly need to adjust to not put weight on heels. Video helps a lot in that respect.

• Thumbs Up 1

Steve

Swing is a little across the line over the top at A4 can get it laid off and drop clubhead behind more but am happy that hips not going towards ball something that tends to happen on course. Just happy to be back on the course and back is holding up. The less weight on heels more towards ball transferred over from range practice. Next time will take a face on to see the turning into the ground is sinking in. 

That’s not a great camera angle. Will need to figure out how to get better lined up at course. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Steve

3 hours ago, nevets88 said:

Swing is a little across the line over the top at A4

I’m not seeing it, Steve.

Just happy to be back on the course and back is holding up.

Good to hear. Back injuries suck.

That’s not a great camera angle. Will need to figure out how to get better lined up at course.

Lay the club down on your toe line and set the camera up to that.

The biggest problem I have with not getting the camera angle correct on the course is being in a rush to set up the camera when it’s my turn to play.

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

18 hours ago, billchao said:

I’m not seeing it, Steve.

Good to hear. Back injuries suck.

Lay the club down on your toe line and set the camera up to that.

The biggest problem I have with not getting the camera angle correct on the course is being in a rush to set up the camera when it’s my turn to play.

It's just a smidge over the top and across. Definitely not in the corridor of death. What happens is it gets more over the top and across the line.

Thanks. I try hard to keep pace and not slow anyone down. If partners are not strict with playing honors, I'll position myself to tee off last. 

Steve

• 4 weeks later...

Back feeling pretty much back to normal. Face on, can start downswing a little earlier w/upper body going towards target, still getting the hang of turning into the ground, but feeling a little more comfortable with it, there's a little sway.

Down the line, it looks like right hip, knee is doing an Elvis, separating from left hip, maybe I need to keep them, knees, more, "together", and more activating the glutes, free up rotation.

This thread is full of I think I know why I shank theories, but my latest one is shanks happen then the clubhead is over the top and too high at A6. If I get more drop kick, clubhead behind and lower and rotate, not just fling the hands, things work out pretty good. Basically more in to out but with hands lower. One tendency doing this is clubface tends to open up so need to remember to flex/bow lead wrist.

Setup with less weight in heels feeling much more natural now. For a hot second I thought golf shoes with the higher heel, the ones that look like sneakers encouraged less weight in heels vs TRUE type shoes, where feet are closer to ground and there's less lift, but psychosomatic.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Steve

• 2 weeks later...

I think I'm finally starting to understand this, athletically and instinctually. Although for me it's more the lead wrist flexing than the trail wrist pizza pie pan holding extending.

Steve

• Administrator

Thing is, @nevets88

• You may not need to feel palmar flexion unless your face remains open.
  • You do not need to shallow the club if it's "on plane" already.

I feel like people keep missing out on the latter one.

On 6/26/2022 at 8:33 PM, iacas said:

Thing is, @nevets88

I feel like people keep missing out on the latter one.

I think my problem is my tendency is that the face opens from A4 on. 

And my top of swing position can vary too widely from across the line to laid off. Trying to figure out which works best, getting it in the middle. 

Steve

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/3/2022 at 2:23 PM, nevets88 said:

I think I get what you're saying now Erik. In some swings in this thread I think I'm overdoing the shallowing, or flexion or both, trying to calm it down in these plus recentering.

• Thumbs Up 1

Steve

27 minutes ago, nevets88 said:

I think I get what you're saying now Erik. In some swings in this thread I think I'm overdoing the shallowing, or flexion or both, trying to calm it down in these plus recentering.

Swing is looking pretty good, Steve. How have you been playing?

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

1 hour ago, billchao said:

Swing is looking pretty good, Steve. How have you been playing?

Short game is a lot better. It’s still the damn shanks and bad drives that are killing me. Basically around bogey golf. 

Steve

1 minute ago, nevets88 said:

Short game is a lot better. It’s still the damn shanks and bad drives that are killing me. Basically around bogey golf. 

Last time we played together, I don't remember too many shanks. I can shank the ball, too. We'll have to meet up again, but it's looking like mid August at the earlies for me.

Bill

My Swing Thread