IGNORED

My Swing (nevets88)

nevets88

Yeah, I think I can get my hips a little more forward and rotate earlier and up? Also, I'm the opposite of stupid monkey. I try to be stupid, but I micro manage my swing. Can't. Stop. Being. Type A. :-) I don't ever expect to get the monkey badge, as much as I try. :-( Short of a lobotomy. Or hypnosis. :-)

You and I are going to play a lot of golf this year and forget about working on our swings. That's sure to work :whistle:

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

To be clear, @nevets88, those look good and you can continue to improve that, but nothing about that should stop you from playing well right now, either. :)

Thanks @iacas . What you and Preston showed me at Metedeconk, that move is starting to sink in. I forget there are these fields of green with strategically placed flags and holes. :-P I have to admit my perspective has changed a little, golf has also become to me, a difficult human movement puzzle.

Quote:

Originally Posted by nevets88

Yeah, I think I can get my hips a little more forward and rotate earlier and up? Also, I'm the opposite of stupid monkey. I try to be stupid, but I micro manage my swing. Can't. Stop. Being. Type A. I don't ever expect to get the monkey badge, as much as I try. Short of a lobotomy. Or hypnosis.

You and I are going to play a lot of golf this year and forget about working on our swings. That's sure to work

Ha ha. It'll be nice to be playing with someone who won't be making fun of my Aimpoint moves.

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

Ha ha. It'll be nice to be playing with someone who won't be making fun of my Aimpoint moves.

Just make sure I don't catch you making reads with your knuckles in ;-)

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

Think a big step was achieved today. Managed to combine the laydown, hips forward and up while keeping, for the most part, butt on wall behind and head on wall in front - minimizing ee. Have never looked like this at impact without manipulating things, this was a free flowing swing. Right arm still bent at impact, letting PA#1 do its thing, again, without intentionally screwing around with bending/unbending elbow. Follow through doesn't look too lungy, can't verify w/o face on video, no room.

• When maintaining head and butt on wall feeling, the torque to steepen the club from A4 is tremendous. Had to amp up the motorcycle rev to what felt like 5X than previously, felt like making club point way behind, but on camera, looks about on neutral plane.
  • At A6, stick butt out, bring chest closer to ground, left hip felt behind myself, right shoulder kicking out and around and then...
  • Massive, massive push upwards, fling arms left.

At first could only do this 1/10 times for 20 balls. Then slowly, very slowly got better. Will need to practice at home the butt out chest down right side bend move at home.

Quote:

Originally Posted by nevets88

Just make sure I don't catch you making reads with your knuckles in

LOL. Knuckles out, baby. :-D

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

• Administrator

Think a big step was achieved today. Managed to combine the laydown, hips forward and up while keeping, for the most part, butt on wall behind and head on wall in front - minimizing ee. Have never looked like this at impact without manipulating things, this was a free flowing swing.

$

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

[QUOTE name="nevets88" url="/t/65993/my-swing-nevets88/216#post_1122890"] Think a big step was achieved today. Managed to combine the laydown, hips forward and up while keeping, for the most part, butt on wall behind and head on wall in front - minimizing ee. Have never looked like this at impact without manipulating things, this was a free flowing swing. [/QUOTE] [SIZE=72px][COLOR=006400]$[/COLOR][/SIZE]

Lol. Thanks. The swing above feels radically radically different as I've been straightening my arms at the ball, straightening the body at impact for years. Dunno how long, but it's going to take some time to settle in. Feel much better at the look of this down the line than before. It looks more like the swings of good players I think. On second look, my tailbone is still "coming off the wall", but I think I can hone in on that now that I've conceptually gotten the feel of getting closer to the ball at impact. It's scary and feels a little out of control. Even though I've seen it work on video now, the old muscle memories are still there.

Steve

• Administrator

Lol. Thanks. The swing above feels radically radically different as I've been straightening my arms at the ball, straightening the body at impact for years. Dunno how long, but it's going to take some time to settle in. Feel much better at the look of this down the line than before. It looks more like the swings of good players I think.

On second look, my tailbone is still "coming off the wall", but I think I can hone in on that now that I've conceptually gotten the feel of getting closer to the ball at impact. It's scary and feels a little out of control. Even though I've seen it work on video now, the old muscle memories are still there.

Don't worry too much about the EE. A little is perfectly fine.

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

• 2 weeks later...

Hips left, forward and up. Squeezing butt cheeks/activating glutes. May sound silly, but realizing what an important part of swing it is. Combining shaft shallowing, more motorcycle rev on the way down and weight forward and minimizing EE and not letting the hips sag behind me, old man finish, not easy. Sometimes overdoing the hips, other times hips sagging behind. Hands higher than usual here, dunno why. I think the lungy look in the previous video was because not getting weight forward enough, so working on more shift to left,  feels like half a hula dance.

Had a nosey guy come up right to my camera, trying to see what's going on. So annoying.

Steve

Can't get the hips going correctly, not extending arms enough I think. Old man finish.

Here it's obvious when compared to Waite. Exiting too low. Face too closed, left forefoot way off the ground. Not extending back?

An older swing below, was able to look more like Waite above @ A7 although downswing was much steeper, I guess went more from steep to shallow then, but firing the glues way way better. I think my hips went more up and forward. Whether it was achieved by trying to get my arms as far away as possible from body or consciously firing glutes, I think it was the former. Will try and get the old look with current downswing,

Think I'm leaving the hips behind on the left, they're... sagging? Hard to get them to keep up with rest of pivot. On the right, more up and forward. More extension.

Steve

• Administrator

Can't get the hips going correctly, not extending arms enough I think. Old man finish.

Just HIT IT. Hard. I think if you thought of smashing the ball the finish would look better.

• Upvote 1

[QUOTE name="nevets88" url="/t/65993/my-swing-nevets88/216#post_1130894"]   Can't get the hips going correctly, not extending arms enough I think. Old man finish. [/QUOTE] Just HIT IT. Hard. I think if you thought of smashing the ball the finish would look better.

I'll try that Erik, thanks. But how do I reconcile that when making slower swings?

Steve

• Administrator

I'll try that Erik, thanks. But how do I reconcile that when making slower swings?

Well, you don't. I thought that was closer to a full swing/full speed thing. You can still practice keeping your speed (even if it's diminished) up a little and reaching a bit more of a full finish.

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...

Great work w/ @pcombs21 on refining shallowing and post impact. Have a better understanding of wrist movement w/respect to DS move from A4 and post impact around A8. Also worked on pitches. Feeling more confident w/game, looking forward to taking it out on the course. Need some visits to the shawt game area though. Almost May and layered like it's March, curse you Mother Nature.

Steve

Trying to keep the picture the same as the lesson videos, without the benefit of instructor presence pixie dust.

May be doing something different when camera is behind.Not getting hips around fast enough?

Hate the ****ing driver. Hate it.

Steve

You went to see @pcombs21 , @nevets88 and you didn't even call me? Good thing we don't play for money ;-)

Bill

My Swing Thread

You went to see @pcombs21, @nevets88 and you didn't even call me? Good thing we don't play for money

Is @nevets88 holding out on you??? Bill, you're due for a visit yourself sometime in the near future too...

Bill, you're due for a visit yourself sometime in the near future too...

You bet. I'll send you a message.

Bill

My Swing Thread