IGNORED

My Swing (nevets88)

nevets88

15 hours ago, nevets88 said:

If only the weather were like this all year round. Sigh.

Still fiddling with that left hand regrip that tends to regrip strong, trying to calm it down. Weight on inside of trail foot to keep head from translating back, swaying (Key #1), shallow (#4), don't over hinge, turn, get into ground (#2), lead hip left forward and up (#4), arms straight post A7.

Something's not right about the trail knee, it kicks out right, makes lower body lean towards ball side. Trail foot is banking better, maybe more of that for knee.

Your impact position look pretty good. I wouldn't worry about the knee for now.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Better turn through the ball.

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

Focusing on the longer clubs. Even though swing looks same-ish, different feels are turn to target from the top of backswing more pronounced, more pronounced shallow, more trail wrist extension around impact, more lead shoulder adduction in transition. Getting easier to put everything together at slower tempo. Even though not hitting these very hard, and the face on swing was a big push right, the swing isn't contrived, relatively free flowing. There's some sway back at A1, a touch of internal rotation at A4, but guessing can get away with it for now, but will address them as need be.

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

Hit both of these hard. Could pick out a lot of things I'd want to improve, wobbly head, wobbly feet, handsy hands at A1, swaying back, more free flowing finish, a bit of tipping out, but the gist is the pivot, rates, and everything mostly sync'ed up. The FO went straight, high and drew, left in the twirl there 🙄, need to break out the Mevo. The stick directly under is a visual to calm down the lateral slide forward.

The problem with speeding the swing up is my arms tend to go off the body, hands towards ball from down the line, which results in a shank. Have to think more lead arm adduction and shallow when adding speed. Being more rotated at impact now helps with that, but only so much.

I suspect the big projects this year will be driver and short game stuff.

Face on 240fps

Steve

One of the problems with driver, afraid to "let go", not letting the arms straighten post impact, A8 ish. Shrugged shoulders, less distance, kind of chicken winging both arms.

Have to force myself to think arms straight, lead palm to sky, which works out better here, but feels totally out of control, but comes out straight most of the time.

BTW, wood tee held inside rubber tee stayed intact both times.

Steve

More work on the driver. Higher hands on follow through this time. Could nitpick a lot of stuff, but working towards more fluid, natural. Thought was trail wrist in extension a little longer on this swing. Easy swing, went straight-ish (wonky balls).

Steve

Notes on the swing as there was no interwebs on the train:

• Handsy regrip at 1. Sometimes tend to regrip strong, too strong? If think super weak grip, it'll settle to neutral to semi strong. The weaker the grip at setup, the more need to feel supination around impact. Will get lead wrist bowed look though, think swing works and looks better this way, not sure.  Key #3, #4, #5
  • Head translating forward at 1, tends to go down and forward though not as badly now. Head stays more still when I think tilt head away from target, but need to stablize everything below torso because whole body will sway back if not. This has been a bother for a long time will just have to live with it for now, watching it but not working on it. Key #1
  • Sometimes bring clubhead back a little too low at 2, need more hinge and up. Key #4
  • At 2.25 sometimes shaft too shallow, need more vertical shaft pitch. Key #4
  • Still at 4, wobbly wrists, though much much better now, don't over hinge as much anymore and can fix straight away in next swing. Those lessons with JT so worth it. Key #3, #4
  • Also at 4, sometimes shoulder still internally rotate because trying to steepen shaft from 2 too long. Key #4
  • With the longer clubs, or want swing hard, lead arm tends to come off body. If squeeze armpit to body a fraction more at 4, no shanks. The arms come off body especially when swinging slower. Key #4
  • When the wrists are just right at 4 and shallow is just right, result is usually good if don't think.
  • Tendency now is to come inside and too low around 6 to 7, usually with open face, although still steep sometimes. Probably 75/25 shallow/steep. Goal is from dtl view, to get the clubhead on a more direct line to the ball from 5 to 7, while keeping path positive. Key #4, #5
  • Post impact looks wonky and doesn't feel quite right, want to straighten arms and supinate, but afraid too. Arms either chicken wingy or ramrod straight. This is the priority piece, supinate post impact.
  • So focused on arms straight, keep them too straight 8.5 to 9.5. More relaxted, finish higher.
  • Need to start working on wedge game, time to break out the Mevo.
  • Want to practice more on real grass now that the weather is good.

Steve

• 2 weeks later...

Swing got long on the course, mainly worked on keeping it from overhinging at 4.

Steve

Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde

So this is Dr Jekyll. Even though I've been practicing shallowing since like... forever, still steepen. Especially on longer clubs and on the course. Tipping out here badly. Not mad or upset because since I use video, I understand and know what's wrong and how to remedy it. The next swing is the swing before this one.

Mr Hyde. Better job in the transition although just a touch steep and RoC could be higher (Key #5) thus the right start line. On the course this should be playable more often than not. The goal is to just keep drilling in the shallow move, which is harder on the longer clubs. Jekyll and Hyde tend to disappear with the shorter clubs. I like the move from A1 to A2 better, looks more natural, bit more hingy, free flowing. Still working on keeping from regripping to strong. Also hands in clubhead out. Supination post A7.5 ish. Keep that trail knee from kicking out from A6 onward.

I suspect the OTT move happens sometimes because I'm thinking ahead too much, thinking of stuff to do impact and post impact. In the Jekyll swing, good at 3.6, 3.7, 3.8, 3.9 and then boom, I screw it up, it's over. I could swing left around impact more to get good contact, but trying to swing out gets the heel shank. So guessing in terms of matchups, OTT and swinging out, not good. The typical start line left, slice right is more playable.

Screen Shot 2018-06-07 at 6.09.12 PM.png

Steve

I think I figured out why the course swing isn't as good as the range swing. Don't trust the shallow move from 4 and not turning right hip to target from 4 as well. Tried doing these moves in the range and shots were much better. Also better at not collapsing right side from 4. Hope this works next time on the course. 

Steve

Some other things I noticed, PA#1, there's none of that very bent right arm that shoots out and straightens that good players have. Also none of that lead wrist going into extension super fast around A8. Basically, none of that "snap" that good players have, the body movement speed that gives the clubhead speed. The trail elbow just straightens steadily rather than bent, bent, bent, boom, straight. Some of it is tension I'm guessing, there is the shoulders shrugging. Also, there's some early extension. Around A6, the body is straightening. Until I get a more whip like motion, probably not going to get more CHS. The long clubs swing is better than where it was a couple of weeks ago, so hoping w/help of pro to move that along. Keep forgetting to bring the Mevo to get some numbers, will put in a reminder for the next range session. Also more confirmation that the heel hits are not getting around enough or too steep on way down.

Steve

I think you need to develop a waggle or something and get rid of that thing you do with your fingers where you're letting go and regripping the club a few times just before you swing.

What do you do in a hazard where you can't ground your club?

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

2 minutes ago, billchao said:

I think you need to develop a waggle or something and get rid of that thing you do with your fingers where you're letting go and regripping the club a few times just before you swing.

What do you do in a hazard where you can't ground your club?

I don't regrip, grip harder maybe. I'm also working on weakening the grip a little so that's a work in progress. It does throw me off when playing eventually I think I'll get used to the weaker grip. 

Steve

20 minutes ago, nevets88 said:

I don't regrip, grip harder maybe. I'm also working on weakening the grip a little so that's a work in progress. It does throw me off when playing eventually I think I'll get used to the weaker grip. 

That makes sense. Grip changes can feel weird for a bit. Half the time I think I finally get my grip change feeling comfortable, I actually end up reverting to the old grip.

It just looked to me like you completely open your fingers up and close them a few times just before your takeaway.

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

1 hour ago, billchao said:

That makes sense. Grip changes can feel weird for a bit. Half the time I think I finally get my grip change feeling comfortable, I actually end up reverting to the old grip.

It just looked to me like you completely open your fingers up and close them a few times just before your takeaway.

Yeah, comes from watching too many players on tv doing it, kind of snuck in by osmosis, I do a more extreme version of it.

Steve

Changing up the practice routine. More harder swings. Harder shallow, harder turn through the ball. Less camera, more feel. More random targets. More switching clubs. Same stuff. Shallow, pivot, supinate. I think I have the basic DNA of the swing solidified in the stuff of nerves of the body. Also more pop the belly out/extension, a la @billchao 😁

Steve

3 minutes ago, nevets88 said:

Also more pop the belly out/extension, a la @billchao 😁

Huh? I do what now?

Bill

My Swing Thread