IGNORED

My Swing (nevets88)

nevets88

Stick in front and ball gate for path (from covid practice plan vids) is pretty helpful. Couldn't find two tennis balls, the toy ball actually worked out and it stays in place better because there's a weight inside it although it squeaks.

• Thumbs Up 1

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Not sure but it looks like the face is opening up just a smidge from 1st to 2nd frame. Think in general, something is off with the face generally, feels like (looks like) shutting face hard later in the swing rather than having it square or slightly shut and keeping face stable. Cannot for the life of me get the face to look like it does in last photo, maybe don't need it that shut, but a little more. Dunno, just thinking aloud. Obviously many misses are right these days, so face is open.

Screen Shot 2021-10-17 at 2.29.47 PM.pngScreen Shot 2021-10-17 at 2.29.53 PM.png

Screen Shot 2021-10-17 at 2.30.27 PM.png

• Thumbs Up 1

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

• 2 weeks later...

Tried staying less on left side at beginning of swing, not moving off ball, but more pressure to right. Feels like gives more room to re-center. On the course, a mental block getting myself to externally rotate trail shoulder, pronate lead forearm, flex lead wrist to close face just before downswing. The drive just barely cleared the trees.

Steve

The change in back angle seems not great to me.

Screen Shot 2021-10-25 at 2.03.43 PM.png

Screen Shot 2021-10-25 at 2.01.28 PM.png

Matt

Mid-Weight Heavy Putter
Cleveland Tour Action 60˚
Cleveland CG15 54˚
Nike Vapor Pro Combo, 4i-GW
Titleist 585h 19˚
Tour Edge Exotics XCG 15˚ 3 Wood
Taylormade R7 Quad 9.5˚

4 minutes ago, mdl said:

The change in back angle seems not great to me.

Screen Shot 2021-10-25 at 2.03.43 PM.png

Screen Shot 2021-10-25 at 2.01.28 PM.png

Yeah, the range swings look better and I'm working on getting the course swing to match range swing.

Steve

• 2 weeks later...

Focused on recentering when FO (also more pressure towards right side, away from ball on backswing), in to out path, DTL. Things I'm noticing but not sure I should work on - hands drop from A4 in transition, body generally going towards ball (not keeping butt against wall), trail arm crossing over lead arm post impact (shaft too horizontal?), face not closed enough from A5 to A7

• Thumbs Up 1

Steve

• 3 weeks later...

Figured out how to better keep the toe ahead of the heel (neutral > closed face) on the downswing. Think dropping my arms too much on downswing made the face open up a bit around A5. Have never been able to do what's in the slow motion video - shallow at A5 with clubhead neutral, not open, maybe even slightly closed. And then decent clubhead position at A6, face slightly closed, YouTube blurred it but in original video, can see better. And didn't shank it although close to heel contact. Feel was more leaving hands up and turn into shoulder. The top of the swing lead wrist is pretty flexed, guess at higher speeds and more reps, it won't look as extreme. Also doing these swings slowly, not quite adding speed yet. Could also rotate more on the downswing will work on that.

• Thumbs Up 1

Steve

• 2 weeks later...

The first swing is not good. Not enough flex in lead wrist at A4 and downswing too steep, face open at impact but included it because the very next swing, because previous swing on video available to see, able to correct. It still can be more in to out and hands could exit higher, working on that. More giraffe hump. Also working on flow in all these swings, trying just to make the swing feel like one unit instead of separate parts.

Steve

Focus here was trying to keep left butt cheek on the wall, get trail foot on tippy toe at end of swing, let trail ankle release more and swing out towards ball so Key #4 path more out. Basically turn hips so that it doesn't head towards ball. Lead wrist is actually extending at A4, but it's flat enough I guess. But A8, there's room for the hands to go out and up. Guessing the path is less left with this pattern. A6 position is pretty decent although thinking flow before swinging.

Steve

On 12/7/2021 at 1:14 PM, nevets88 said:

Lead wrist is actually extending at A4, but it's flat enough I guess.

If you bow it too much in the backswing it’s going to want to extend in transition.

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

3 hours ago, billchao said:

If you bow it too much in the backswing it’s going to want to extend in transition.

Agreed, I'm struggling with the timing of this. I'm bowing too early, trying to figure out how to get max flex at or after A4.

Steve

In the first swing, common tendency is to want the lead wrist to go into extension, get shaft across the line, trail shoulder internally rotate before getting to A4, and then quickly reverse all the the previous. Thinking positions too much. It's a very "woobly" transition. Second swing, thinking more flow (less Matsuyama), rather than positions. The lead wrist does not overly flex before A4 and flexes right before the downswing. Think this is the way to go in terms of the transition and Keys #4 and #5. On the other hand, in second swing, could be more rotated going into impact and clubhead more under and behind at A6. It's a little over the bottom. But at least the transition should help in getting path more in to out.

• Thumbs Up 1

Steve

• 5 weeks later...

I realize a mistake I made all last year, hands swinging too left, too in, a little before impact. Get clubhead a little behind and below at A6. Working on getting that path more in to out especially post impact. Wearing an N95 while swinging isn't too bad. I tried double masking with Livinguard masks (one sport, one regular), but I actually ran out of breath, lol.

• Thumbs Up 1

Steve

On 1/12/2022 at 12:53 PM, nevets88 said:

I realize a mistake I made all last year, hands swinging too left, too in, a little before impact. Get clubhead a little behind and below at A6. Working on getting that path more in to out especially post impact. Wearing an N95 while swinging isn't too bad. I tried double masking with Livinguard masks (one sport, one regular), but I actually ran out of breath, lol.

Swing looks good!

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Key #4, working on getting that path in to out A6 to A7 and hands higher post impact. Solidifying weight forward pre A4, also getting backswing more consistent, top of backswing can vary, across the line, too laid off, trying to hone in on just right, like the 3 bears and their pudding. Also better at getting hands further away from ball at top of backswing.

I know you're only supposed to work at one thing at a time, and I'd say path, but it's basically a whole bunch of things. Stopping head from tipping forward at A1. Getting weight to trail side earlier and weight to target side earlier, getting the clubhead path of backswing just right. I've never been a good stupid monkey. A lot of good things happen when you get that backswing position at A4 just right. Also feel like dropping the clubhead behind me while covering the ball.

I also think working on backswing will help with the short game because it's a more neutral path to the top, no extreme steepness or shallowness at any point, so in a good position no matter where I start downswing.Hopefully that will bear out this season.

Basically what I look for on video is the clubhead at A6. I don't want it to be high and outside, out to in path. But I don't think positions when practicing now. I visualize the swing in its entirety. If I make a bad swing, before I take the next swing, I make sure I visualize that bad swing exactly as it was on camera in my head. Then I picture the swing I want to make.

I think my proprioception w/respect to backswing is much better now. I have a good idea of where the clubhead and face are without looking at video.

To be honest after months hitting indoors, I'm just happy to be making ball first, ground second contact.

Slow motion. Turning too hard to the left here I think. Face open at A6 juuust a smidge?

Yeah, look at video from December 13, wrist is way less chaotic now.

• Thumbs Up 1

Steve

A very slow tempo swing, 100 yard 7 iron I think, a swing overdoing in to out and a hard swing. Wrist is more extended than I want it to be going down.

• Thumbs Up 1

Steve

• 3 weeks later...

Thinking path when camera is DTL and hump the giraffe FO. First DTL hands going out to ball too early, steep. Second FO thinking activate the glutes.

Steve

• Administrator

I normally think the "ground" stuff is over-rated, but you aren't making the most "athletic" move here or really using the ground much.

First, your setup is in your heels a bit. Not a ton, but enough that I'd change it. It limits how athletic you can be:

01.jpg

Then, your hips and knees and legs are just kinda "wobbly" and they're even wobbling the wrong direction near the end of the backswing:

02.jpg

You can see these in motion, of course, a bit more. You're "wobbly" on your feet and your knees and hips, partly from balance, partly from just being wobbly and not making a controlled but athletic, aggressive pivot.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Informative 1

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets