IGNORED

Michelle Wie's Tabletop Putting Stance - WTF is she doing?

chriskzoo
Note: This thread is 3448 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Originally Posted by boogielicious

If you rotate Michelle 90 degrees, she would be Dufnering.

You Sir, have just earned yourself a reputation point!

Yours in earnest, Jason.
Call me Ernest, or EJ or Ernie.

PSA - "If you find yourself in a hole, STOP DIGGING!"

My Whackin' Sticks: :cleveland: 330cc 2003 Launcher 10.5*  :tmade: RBZ HL 3w  :nickent: 3DX DC 3H, 3DX RC 4H  :callaway: X-22 5-AW  :nike:SV tour 56* SW :mizuno: MP-T11 60* LW :bridgestone: customized TD-03 putter :tmade:Penta TP3   :aimpoint:

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Originally Posted by club ho

Excuse me if someone has already mentioned this but the technique was originally developed by golf pro Leo Diegel. He played in the 40's I believe. My dad had a set of Leo Diegel irons. It brings back memories.

Yes. They even called 'Diegeling' - overly crouched over.

Originally Posted by Ernest Jones

You Sir, have just earned yourself a reputation point!

Thank you Sir!

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

Yes. They even called 'Diegeling' - overly crouched over.  [URL=http://thesandtrap.com/content/type/61/id/73410/] [/URL]

Wow. He looks like he'd have to be lifted off with a winch.

Driver: Cobra 460SZ 9.0, med.
3 Wood: Taylor stiff
3-hybrid: Nike 18 deg stiff
4-hybrid:
Taylor RBZ 22 deg regular
Irons:5-9, Mizuno MP30, steel
Wedges: PW, 52, 56, 60 Mizuno MP30
Putter: Odyssey 2-ball

Originally Posted by falconjfs

Take a look at video of Jack "N" putting style. He crouched!

Jack N was already discussed.  Not the same.

Brandon a.k.a. Tony Stark

-------------------------

The Fastest Flip in the West

Originally Posted by Chas

Wow. He looks like he'd have to be lifted off with a winch.

I heard from a somewhat reliable but also unreliable source(MY whack job brother in law) that Walter Hagen crack a bad joke at Leo Diegel's funeral that "it couldn't be Leo in the casket because his elbows would stick out the sides" or something to that effect.

• 1 year later...

Looks like Michelle Wie gets the last laugh, doesn't she?

You are correct!  No 3-putts over four US Open rounds at Pinehurst No. 2 validates her choice.  She may not stick with it but for one long weekend she proved it works.

Brian Kuehn

You are correct!  No 3-putts over four US Open rounds at Pinehurst No. 2 validates her choice.  She may not stick with it but for one long weekend she proved it works.

I realised it works for her but to me it was very painful to watch her putting, (Kind of like a giraffe at a very low watering hole) I doubt anyone would care to mimic that. I would rather see Adam Scotts or Bernhard Langers putting than that.

• Upvote 1

I realised it works for her but to me it was very painful to watch her putting, (Kind of like a giraffe at a very low watering hole) I doubt anyone would care to mimic that. I would rather see Adam Scotts or Bernhard Langers putting than that.

Im not going to mimic anyone's swing, or putting style. We all have different body types and limitations. Are you discounting what she's done because to you it may not be the prettiest stroke? It works for her as everyone now can see.

Ron :nike: GOLF Embracing my Angry Black Male :mad:

Jack N was already discussed.  Not the same.

I'm not sure why people are saying Michelle looks "uncomfortable" unless they have never stretched in their life.  I don't anybody that's under 70 that can't achieve a 90 degree hamstring stretch - it's not even close to touching your toes.

I suspect it's not painful at all but fairly comfortable (unless people just mean "painful to watch", then who cares?)

Jack's putting and Wie's are the same and different:

Both looked like they have their eyes just about straight over (but not past) the ball.  That's the same.

Both are close to the ball.  That's the same.

I can't speak to the take away and follow through.

Wie has straight legs (likely her base is a lot more stable than Jack with his flexed knees.).

Wie's spine is straighter (likely her rotation is a lot more predictable and square than Jack).

Wie's spine is more clearly parallel to the ground than Jack (likely much better control and repeatibility)

seems like Wie took a page from Jack and came up with a better version, IMHO - everything about it is a better base and cleaner lines

sacrilege, I know

Bill - 

• Administrator

I'm not sure why people are saying Michelle looks "uncomfortable" unless they have never stretched in their life.  I don't anybody that's under 70 that can't achieve a 90 degree hamstring stretch - it's not even close to touching your toes.

Jack's putting and Wie's are the same and different:

Both looked like they have their eyes just about straight over (but not past) the ball.  That's the same.

Both are close to the ball.  That's the same.

I can't speak to the take away and follow through.

Wie has straight legs (likely her base is a lot more stable than Jack with his flexed knees.).

Wie's spine is straighter (likely her rotation is a lot more predictable and square than Jack).

Wie's spine is more clearly parallel to the ground than Jack (likely much better control and repeatibility)

seems like Wie took a page from Jack and came up with a better version, IMHO - everything about it is a better base and cleaner lines

sacrilege, I know

FWIW, she said on Morning Drive or something awhile ago (they replayed the segment today) that she thought she was just getting closer to the ball because she envied shorter players, and then only when she looked in a mirror did she realize it was nearly horizontal. She thought she was just bent over a little bit more, like 45° or so.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

FWIW, she said on Morning Drive or something awhile ago (they replayed the segment today) that she thought she was just getting closer to the ball because she envied shorter players, and then only when she looked in a mirror did she realize it was nearly horizontal. She thought she was just bent over a little bit more, like 45° or so.

crazy isn't it?  I wonder if Jack had any reason for his odd stance other than something similar.....

that's why video and photo feedback is so valuable in teaching most physical activities

so it's more likely that she's just got limber hamstrings and good posture and the benefits of the mechanics just 'sold' themselves...

Bill - 

• Administrator

so it's more likely that she's just got limber hamstrings and good posture and the benefits of the mechanics just 'sold' themselves...

I don't know that you need very limber hamstrings. If you can sit on the floor without leaning backward, that's the 90° required, no? :)

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Admittedly I could use some hamstring stretching (been pretty lazy about that lately) but I can't do it. Really not even close. I can still bend over and touch my toes with my legs straight and I thought that was decent enough until I tried to imitate Wie with the flat back and it ended up about like the picture back up the thread of somebody with a rounded back. Thinking about it does motivate me a little though. I have a machine I made a few years ago to sit in while I'm watching TV that I can gradually crank up. The machine doesn't do me any good if I don't use it. ;-)

That's mostly what I was getting at.  And you're probably right.

Brandon a.k.a. Tony Stark

-------------------------

The Fastest Flip in the West

Note: This thread is 3448 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!