mgd150

Bringing Balls on a Plane?

33 posts in this topic

Anyone know if I can bring golf balls on a plane traveling internationally?

I'm heading to Jamaica this weekend, to Jewel Runaway Bay resort and golf course (got a really good deal and golf is included), not bringing my clubs so I will be renting.   Being as bad as I am, I'm sure I will lose a few balls, so I figured I'd throw a few extra sleeves in my bag and take them along.

Am I being a cheapskate by wanting to bring balls with me and not buy them there?  I normally play recycled Top Flite D2s, just to let you know where my budget normally is.

Also, has anyone played there before?  Thoughts on the course?

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Want to get rid of this advertisement? Sign up (or log in) today! It's free!

I have found that if you have them in a backpack you will confuse the x-ray op but they will let you carry them on.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Fortunately, they have yet to declare my golf balls, or swing, a threat to national security.  There has been some discussion about declaring the combination of the two as a possible weapon of mass destruction, however.....

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Originally Posted by David in FL

Fortunately, they have yet to declare my golf balls, or swing, a threat to national security.  There has been some discussion about declaring the combination of the two as a possible weapon of mass destruction, however.....

HAHA that's funny, but to the OP no they will not confiscate them.  I just flew with some not that long ago.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You CANNOT take them as carry on luggage, due to a threat to other passengers, should not be an issue in checked in baggage. Happened to me travelling from bangkok to new delhi
0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Originally Posted by achadha7

You CANNOT take them as carry on luggage, due to a threat to other passengers, should not be an issue in checked in baggage.

Happened to me travelling from bangkok to new delhi

I've flown dozens of times, including internationally with golf balls in my carry on.  Heck, you can buy them inside the security zone in a lot of major U.S. airports.....

Not sure what they were thinking in Bangkok, but the OP will have no trouble whatsoever flying to and from Jamaica.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Originally Posted by David in FL

I've flown dozens of times, including internationally with golf balls in my carry on.  Heck, you can buy them inside the security zone in a lot of major U.S. airports.....

Not sure what they were thinking in Bangkok, but the OP will have no trouble whatsoever flying to and from Jamaica.

That is what I argues when i had 24 new balls in my carry on, their argument was, you could take them out and throw them at other passengers and injure them >>>> oh well... better to be safe than sorry :)

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Won't be checking a bag, so I'll try to carry them on. Good thing they're cheap so I won't have an issue tossing them if I do get any grief at the airport. Also if it makes any difference I'm flying through JFK and Miami.
0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Originally Posted by achadha7

That is what I argues when i had 24 new balls in my carry on, their argument was, you could take them out and throw them at other passengers and injure them >>>> oh well... better to be safe than sorry :)

Wow...I guess you could also throw your shoes at other passengers as well.  Maybe take your shirt off and use it strangle someone?

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Wow...I guess you could also throw your shoes at other passengers as well.  Maybe take your shirt off and use it strangle someone?

tell that to the security personell

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Never had an issue traveling with balls in hand luggage. I'd like to her the explanation from the security personnel of why golf balls should not be allowed on a plane.
0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Originally Posted by Zeph

Never had an issue traveling with balls in hand luggage. I'd like to her the explanation from the security personnel of why golf balls should not be allowed on a plane.

Originally Posted by achadha7

That is what I argues when i had 24 new balls in my carry on, their argument was, you could take them out and throw them at other passengers and injure them >>>> oh well... better to be safe than sorry :)

Here is your answer.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I guess it's physically impossible to throw PCs and other hard items on-board an airplane.
0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Yes, unless the plane is on a conveyor belt.

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

While it may be completely fine to carry them and not be on the prohibited items list, its completely subjective. If a TSA agent feels like it shouldnt fly then it wont. If i were you i'd kindly find a TSA agent and run it by them before trying to get through the line.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's not subjective at all. www.tsa.gov Print out the prohibited list and take it with you. If they give you trouble ask to talk to a supervisor. Don't talk to a smurf, tell them you want to talk to the person that comes to work in a suit, not a costume.
0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now