• Announcements

    • iacas

      GAME GOLF Ryder Cup Contest   09/22/2016

      Join our GAME GOLF Ryder Cup Challenge to win an autographed GAME GOLF, a Pebble Steel watch, and many more great prizes!
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Rick Martin

Bubba Watson Gets Involved in the Gay Professional Athlete Debate

120 posts in this topic

Want to get rid of this advertisement? Sign up (or log in) today! It's free!

I wouldn't interpret Bubba's support of Chris as anti anything. He's been supportive of gay people as well, he's buddies with Ellen D.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Originally Posted by Dave2512

I wouldn't interpret Bubba's support of Chris as anti anything. He's been supportive of gay people as well, he's buddies with Ellen D.

Agreed!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Originally Posted by Dave2512

I wouldn't interpret Bubba's support of Chris as anti anything. He's been supportive of gay people as well, he's buddies with Ellen D.

If that's the case (Ellen's buddy), he'd have been better off just keeping his tweets on the subject to himself because, according to the USA Today linked article and other news sourses, he's being labeled as supporting the analyst who condemned Jason Collins.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Much ado about nothing if you ask me. We get way to caught up in who supports who and what (see TM CEO thread . I see nothing wrong with Chris Broussard voicing his beliefs, Jason Collins voicing his, and Bubba voicing his. None of them has said or done anything illegal.  And no, it doesn't bother me when people thank God after a win

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

But he made no comments about Collins, just tweeted more faith based stuff, very common for Bubba. I'll take it as more of the usual faith based stuff until Bubba says otherwise. He isn't shy. If he had something to say about Collins he would have said it. I've heard Bubba's take on this matter and he's not anti gay anything. He's super religious but his beliefs are personal and somewhat loose.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Originally Posted by Dave2512

But he made no comments about Collins, just tweeted more faith based stuff, very common for Bubba. I'll take it as more of the usual faith based stuff until Bubba says otherwise. He isn't shy. If he had something to say about Collins he would have said it. I've heard Bubba's take on this matter and he's not anti gay anything. He's super religious but his beliefs are personal and somewhat loose.

I don't get it, so what? Was he supposed to tweet something about Collins?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Originally Posted by Dave H

I don't get it, so what? Was he supposed to tweet something about Collins?

The point is he didn't and the OP seems convinced there's more to it than what Bubba tweeted. Enough so that he went beyond Jason Collins and veered into adultery. Another issue Bubba made no mention of. My post was a reply to Rick not you.

Wonder how Bubba feels about Tiger's adultery as well as Lucas Glover's infidelity?

Does he not like gay athletes in his midst?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Originally Posted by Dave2512

The point is he didn't and the OP seems convinced there's more to it than what Bubba tweeted. Enough so that he went beyond Jason Collins and veered into adultery. Another issue Bubba made no mention of. My post was a reply to Rick not you.

Right on, gotcha. No quote confused me, sorry. Goes to my initial point though - big deal. Chris Broussard's beliefs apparently line up with Bubba's. It's not like that's a surprise or anything.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Originally Posted by Dave H

Right on, gotcha. No quote confused me, sorry. Goes to my initial point though - big deal. Chris Broussard's beliefs apparently line up with Bubba's. It's not like that's a surprise or anything.

Weird thing is I'm showing my post #6 has a time stamp earlier than yours at #5, by a minute. Yours wasn't there when I started my response. My typing skills are real bad, I think you beat me to the submit button.

Anyway I agree big deal. I don't tweet or follow Bubba but I know enough about him that I doubt a day passes where he doesn't blast some faith based comment into cyberspace. But I haven't seen anything where it's ever been at the expense of someone else. He's not the judge and jury type.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

CBS Sports reporting that Bubba supports the comments made:

Bubba Watson supports Broussard's comments on Jason Collins

http://www.cbssports.com/golf/blog/eye-on-golf/22170377/bubba-watson-supports-broussards-comments-on-jason-collins

In my opinion, Bubba needs to do what he does best: hit the golf ball. He has no special insight to get involved in this controversy  - otherwise he's likely to come out looking as stupid as Mike Wallace did over this.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hes a hardcore Bible thumper - of course he supports anything anti gay. He has to live by the bibles opinion, not his own regardless of what he really thinks

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think it's interesting how much stock people place in Bronze Age and Iron Age mythology.  As long as someone's personal preferences don't hurt other people, why should anyone care?  Whiskey makes me gag (had a bad experience long ago that never wore off).  So when someone offers me a Scotch, do I condemn them for being "sinful?"   No, I politely decline - the fact that our tastes differ does not make either of us a bad person.  If the idea of kissing a person of your own gender does not appeal to you, then don't do it.  Problem solved.  No need to go about condemning other people or praising and supporting those who are doing the condemning just because someone else is different from you.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Of course, Bubba hasn't condemned Collins, but by tweeting full support of the guy condemning Collins, he indirectly is showing his own condemnation.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Originally Posted by Rick Martin

Bubba Watson tweets support of Chris Broussard

Thanks @Chris_Broussard for sharing your faith & the bible!! #GodIsGood

Does he not like gay athletes in his midst?

http://ftw.usatoday.com/2013/04/bubba-watson-tweets-support-of-chris-broussard/

I clicked on the USA Today link to find out what Chris Broussard wrote.  He writes that he would not characterize Collins has a Christian, because the bible would not characterize those people he describes as "Christians."

That's really an empty statement, because by many interpretations, the Bible would not characterize a very large segment of self-proclaimed Christians as "Christians."  The amount of hypocrisy among religious zealots knows no bounds.


Originally Posted by Rick Martin

In my opinion, Bubba needs to do what he does best: hit the golf ball. He has no special insight to get involved in this controversy  - otherwise he's likely to come out looking as stupid as Mike Wallace did over this.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wisguy

I think it's interesting how much stock people place in Bronze Age and Iron Age mythology.  As long as someone's personal preferences don't hurt other people, why should anyone care?  Whiskey makes me gag (had a bad experience long ago that never wore off).  So when someone offers me a Scotch, do I condemn them for being "sinful?"   No, I politely decline - the fact that our tastes differ does not make either of us a bad person.  If the idea of kissing a person of your own gender does not appeal to you, then don't do it.  Problem solved.  No need to go about condemning other people or praising and supporting those who are doing the condemning just because someone else is different from you.

Interesting indeed.  And well said.

I will say though, that if they truly believe in that mythology, I have no problem with them explaining their beliefs as matters of beliefs.  For example, Broussard states that he believes, as a matter of principle, that Collins is "openly living in sin."  According to his belief construct, that is true and a simple concept to grasp.  What I do have a problem with, is using that belief construct to deny those people particular civil rights or using them to discriminate against them in any way.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Bible says a lot of stuff that if we took it literally, we'd have massive bloodshed.  Wonder if Bubba is aware of this one when he's working on Sundays.

Exodus 35:2

Six days work shall be done, but on the seventh day you shall have a Sabbath of solemn rest, holy to the Lord . Whoever does any work on it shall be put to death.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Martin View Post

Bible says a lot of stuff that if we took it literally, we'd have massive bloodshed.  Wonder if Bubba is aware of this one when he's working on Sundays.

Exodus 35:2

Six days work shall be done, but on the seventh day you shall have a Sabbath of solemn rest, holy to the Lord . Whoever does any work on it shall be put to death.

This season he's following that passage pretty well I'd say.

Here's a story on yahoo with a bunch of twittereactions (is that a word yet?  I just coined it!!) including Broussards. http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nba-ball-dont-lie/kobe-bryant-bill-clinton-david-stern-others-support-163319934.html

And here is what Broussard wrote:

Quote:

" Personally, I don't believe that you can live an openly homosexual lifestyle or an openly premarital sex between heterosexuals, if you're openly living that type of lifestyle, then the Bible says you know them by their fruits, it says that's a sin. If you're openly living in unrepentant sin, whatever it may be, not just homosexuality, adultery, fornication, premarital sex between heterosexuals, whatever it may be, I believe that's walking in open rebellion to God and to Jesus Christ. I would not characterize that person as a Christian because I do not think the Bible would characterize them as a Christian."

I think that's BS that he threw all of the non-gay bashing stuff in there (pre-marital sex, adultery, etc) to try and disguise the fact that this is solely about homosexuality for him.  I've heard him talk about basketball a lot (and I like listening to him, I like his voice) but I've never heard him condemning anybody else for off-the-court sex related stuff prior to now.

I guess it's a safe bet, though, that if everything he said is true that A.C. Green is his all time favorite player.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Originally Posted by Kieran123

Hes a hardcore Bible thumper - of course he supports anything anti gay. He has to live by the bibles opinion, not his own regardless of what he really thinks

But he doesn't. Before the election when gay marriage was in the news everyday and before his Masters attention faded he was asked about it on camera. I remember it because I was surprised by his response. I can't remember exactly what he said but it was along the lines of he's okay with whatever if two people love each other. It's probably on youtube, if not there's a shit-ton of clips of him wooing Ellen. I'd wager before the end of day tomorrow he'll say something about it. Even what Chris said is somewhat vague. The media is twisting this and people are taking the bait.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0



  • Want to join this community?

    We'd love to have you!

    Sign Up
  • 2016 TST Partners

    GAME Golf
    PING Golf
    Lowest Score Wins
  • Posts

    • Phil had diarhia  of the mouth yesterday, giving a reason for the poor play of he and tiger in 2004 RC as not being prepared to play and test Tigers golf ball that is "higher spin" versus his low spin ball.  Plausible only with Phil.  4-5 hours??? Puh-lease. I have been involved in 3rd party testing of golf balls and i can actually say that Phil is full of Sh*t here. The overall difference in spin from tour caliber golf balls, rememebr we are going back to to 2004, the diference is insignificant off the driver, from eight iron on down to wedges the spin characteriscs averge out  from one one spinny tour ball to and the next low spin tour ball is less than 5%. in other words a 5000 RPM wedge shot with the higher spin ball would be 4750 RPM at the worst case scenario.  Remember these are 20o3-04 golf balls, the TA and PV1 are just a couple of years old at this point. Phil likes to talk, I get that, I like the guy, but please just shut up about ball spin and admit you ( and tiger) played badly, too much limelight for both is much more plausible. Two thumbs up for Hal  Suttons response too.   In alternate shot, you play with one ball, and that was the issue, Mickelson said. "[Woods] found out the year before when we played at the Presidents Cup in 2003 that the golf ball I was playing was not going to work for him," Mickelson said. "He plays a very high-spin ball and I play a very low-spin ball, and we had to come up in two days with a solution. "So I grabbed a couple dozen of his balls, I went off to the side, and tried to learn his golf ball in a four- or five-hour session on kind of an isolated -- one of the other holes out there trying to find out how far the ball goes. And it forced me to stop my preparation for the tournament, to stop chipping and stop putting and stop sharpening my game and stop learning the golf course, in an effort to crash-course and learn a whole different golf ball that we were going to be playing. "In the history of my career, I have never ball-tested two days prior to a major. I've never done it. It doesn't allow me to play my best. What allows me to play my best is to learn the course, sharpen my touch on the greens, sharpen my chipping out of the rough and ball striking and so forth. "Instead, I'm taking four or five hours and I'm out trying to learn another ball to allow us to play our best. Had we known a month in advance, we might have been able to make it work. I think we probably would have made it work. But we didn't know until two days prior."
    • I played baseball at a big 10 university for 4 years, tennis for 40 years, and learned to play golf at a very young age but did not play frequently in my younger years.  Accordingly, I am athletic and have a decent game for my age group now.  Extremely accurate but not long by any stretch.  When I was 60, I started to take golf seriously (Like most people getting close to retirement age) and really can't complain about my game.  The one thing that took me forever to learn and understand is:  "Feel is NOT real."  What you THINK you are doing is NOT really what you are doing.  So......I would advise any player who wants to improve their game to, have some video taken of your swing and watch it.  You will be amazed.  Your swing will be NOTHING like you think it is.  (LOL) 
    • That's great! Is your season ending too? I'm going to be sad to see it end.   Thanks, everyone! He played well yesterday (tied for 2nd out of 21 players) and today he's playing 2 hours away at the "hardest course in our state", according to his coach. Yikes! 
      After today, he will be practicing for the championship. We're going to go play the course on Sunday. (By we, I mean him and his teammate - with me driving the cart.) ;)
      The tournament is Thursday, so we have a week to get ready. 
      Here's a nice hit from yesterday.   
    • Recently we saw tour groups of 3, ovbviously walking, and at times waiting for greens to clear, plumbobbing putts,, checking yardage and wind, you know the usual stuff, they played thier round at the DBC in 3 hours and 30 minutes which I thought was fine.   I immediatly passed it along to my tortise golfers, explaining that they take 15 less swings but walk a 7400 yard course ( as oppossed to 6400), wjy does it take them 4:45-5:30?
  • TST Blog Entries

  • Images

  • Today's Birthdays

    1. mahariji_slice
      mahariji_slice
      (35 years old)
  • Blog Entries