IGNORED

Publishing the Course Pace of Play Policy

Fourputt
Note: This thread is 3974 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

1. 1. Does your favorite course have a pace of play policy?

• Yes and it's enforced
    • Yes but it's just a paper policy - not enforced
    • Just a suggested time limit, no written policy
    • No policy that I know of
    • I don't care

The constant complaints about pace of play got me to wondering - does your home course or favorite course have a defined and posted policy on how they manage pace of play?  One of my favorite courses is Fossil Trace in Golden Colorado.  This link is to their pace of play pdf.  Their policy allows 4:40, yet I've never seen a round there at more than 4:15.  Their rangers (players assistants) are active, visible and friendly, but they do their job.

I was just wondering if anyone else knows if their favorite course has a defined and actively enforced policy.

Fossil Trace Pace of Play

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

My "home" course (quotes because there really isn't one course that I play considerably more than the rest) doesn't have anything that they actively enforce, and I am not totally sure if they even have a "published" policy.

What they do have (as well as several other courses around here I've seen) is a clock built into the cart GPS that will tell you how far behind schedule you are as you play.

But again, it's a bit for show, because I rarely see a marshal out on the course doing anything except driving by and nodding/waving at you as they pass.

I've seen everything from POP clocks on every tee to printed material in the clubhouse and on scorecards. I don't think the presence or lack of a visible policy does anything to prevent it. My experience is by the time it happens it's tough to pinpoint, just having a gap between groups may not be enough to determine who the culprit is unless there was a steady stream of people leaving the 1st tee at consistent intervals. People tend to straighten up when they see the ranger coming. IMO the problem is not only the people causing the slow play but the ranger's inability to combat it. If for no other reason more often than not they're only putting in their time to earn free golf. In many instances the happy go lucky ranger contributes to it as they make their way around the course making small talk.

I've experienced some really slow days recently and honestly the only thing I can attribute it to is really bad golf and a very busy spring. There were so many people at the course I usually frequent last Sunday there was no way for them to run smoothly. In their defense I can't see any way they could have anticipated it. The starter told me they had 230+ people on the course at the particular time I was there, that included the people waiting on the backed up 1st and 10th tees. That's more than one 4some per hole. They ran out of carts and had groups waiting in front of the clubhouse for carts coming off 18. It was unusual to say the least. As ill equipped as they were to deal with it I don't think the golfers out there knew how to deal with it either. This is a small town course that has one guy on the counter, one cart barn kid and one ranger most days. It just totally overwhelmed them.

It's no excuse for ignorance and really bad golf, which are the usual problems but if what I've seen so far this spring continues I will have to completely change how and when I golf. I predict Colorado is in a for a record year. I'm having to book times for courses I usually walk on.

Fourputt, This will give you an idea how busy last Sun was. Riverdale had no times available on either course and I called before 11AM. I've never seen so many people out. Not even when there were fewer courses here in the post Tiger boom. Hyland Hills is taking reservations for their par 3 courses. It's nuts.

Dave :-)

Originally Posted by Dave2512

It's no excuse for ignorance and really bad golf, which are the usual problems but if what I've seen so far this spring continues I will have to completely change how and when I golf. I predict Colorado is in a for a record year. I'm having to book times for courses I usually walk on.

Fourputt, This will give you an idea how busy last Sun was. Riverdale had no times available on either course and I called before 11AM. I've never seen so many people out. Not even when there were fewer courses here in the post Tiger boom. Hyland Hills is taking reservations for their par 3 courses. It's nuts.

That can't be anything but good for the game.  Prior to the recent slowdown, the courses I play at most were  always hard to get on.  Foothills has included their Par 3 course and Executive 9 in the reservation system for years.  Even during the last 5 years when the game seemed to slow down a bit, I had days working the starter booth when I couldn't even find a spot for a single between 8AM and noon.  Back when I worked and had to play weekends, I had to try the automated reservation call in system, even though by the time I'd get through the morning times were usually booked up.  I've been dealing with that for 25 years.  One reason why I joined the men's club at Foothills in the first place back in 1989 was so that I had a couple of weekends each month with a guaranteed tournament tee time.

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

I really wish Courses would be a bit more aggressive in enforcement. I know this has been discussed before (hell I posted in that thread awhile ago), but its just hard to establish a rhythm.

On my course I see absolutely no postings anywhere of time frames.

Driver: Diablo Edge Octane 11.5*  Senior Flex

Irons:  Diablo Edge 4-AW

Putter: G5I CRAZ-E

"Luck is where opportunity meets preparation.."

Most of the courses around here have a posted pace of play policy of 4:30. It's usually posted on the cart, on the GPS, or on the scorecard. But only a handful actually enforce it. Getting a round in under 5 hours is a nice accomplishment during busy season.

I'm not sure what is actually meant by enforce - but the rangers at my course will definitely let you know you are behind schedule.  They post a target of a 4 hour round.  It isn't a tough target to hit.  But if someone is in front of you - you don't actually have any control over it anyway.  Most rounds probably end up around 4:15.

And they have clocks on a few of the holes that should coincide with the time you started. For instance, if you tee off at 11am - when you get to the clock at the 5th hole, it should say 11am.  If it says 11:15, you are behind 15 min.  Then there is another on 13 - should say 11am as well.  But no one seems to understand.  I have to explain it to everyone I'm grouped with - and they still don't understand.  Must be tougher than it seems.

Note: This thread is 3974 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!