IGNORED

My Swing (Jakester23)

Jakester23
Note: This thread is 2569 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Controlling the low point with my irons is defiantly my biggest problem.  Ive been working on my mapping drill from evolvr.  When I get it right Im hitting the ball very solid but most of the time though I screw it up and either get it heavy or thin.  I almost feel like if I hold on to the lag as long as possible Im getting the low point of my swing after the ball.  When I don't well its not good.  Ive been working on getting my path more out to hit a push draw.  I feel like I need to make sure Im getting good contact before I get to wrapped up in my shot shape.  Im getting a push when I get it right most of the time anyway so I think I should just stick with that for now.  If it fades a little so be it.  At least Ill get my nGIR's instead of leaving most of my irons 30-50 yards short.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

We finally got some decent weather so I was able to get a evolvr video in. Ive been working on getting my hands ahead of the ball at impact also maintaing Keys 1 & 2.  I hit the ball really good for about half of the range session then all of the sudden I started hitting it off the hosel .  I got these vids in when I was hitting the ball solid.  Heading in the right direction though I can deal with the hosel shots as long as Im making progress.

The swing on the right is from october.

Nice firm flat wrist at impact. I am jealous!

Vishal S.

Nice firm flat wrist at impact. I am jealous!

Of? Oh of the flat wrist.  Reading comprehension isn't my strong suit.  I need to get my hands more towards my left thigh at impact. Thats what Im working on now.

• 2 weeks later...
I've been working on a mapping drill for evolvr for about a month or two. We have been changing/tweaking it here and there. I'm trying to get my hips more open and my knees closer together at impact. I was wondering if it's ok to have an open stance to accomplish this? If I try to have a straight or closed stance it seems to be harder to get my hips more open. Any help would be appreciated.

For example try to get more into the position that Mike is on the right.  Notice how his arms hang down nicely.

Wait, the picture on the left is obviously incorrect, but there are some mistakes in the picture on the right. Stance is a big too close to the ball, legs could be bent a tad more, and back needs to be straight. However unlike the picture on the right, the back is arched at too much of an angle.

Wait, the picture on the left is obviously incorrect, but there are some mistakes in the picture on the right. Stance is a big too close to the ball, legs could be bent a tad more, and back needs to be straight. However unlike the picture on the right, the back is arched at too much of an angle.

I disagree. Butt of the club is about a thumb and a fist away from me, hands are slightly ahead of my shoulders, weight is even between the toe and heel and the back doesn't need to be straight. Check this out.

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

I disagree. Butt of the club is about a thumb and a fist away from me, hands are slightly ahead of my shoulders, weight is even between the toe and heel and the back doesn't need to be straight. Check this out.

Doesn't look from the picture ;-) . Maybe it's a preference/ age thing? My PGA coach told me to straighten my back. Maybe it's because i'm playing men's clubs and I don't choke down. Thus, standing straighter and a bit further would help me create a bigger swing. Like my profile picture, the back is completely straight. Would you consider that also unnecessary?

Nevertheless, looks like you're striping the ball. Keep up the good work!

• 2 weeks later...

Ive been playing well as of late and I have to say I owe it all to Erik, Mike, and my coach at evolvr thank you.  Im hitting solid shots so often now Im expecting it( Im probably getting ahead of myself but why not have high aspirations :-D ) .  I am getting pulls as my miss but my big misses are few and far between.  I really think the 5 mins a day practice has been and is a huge help.   I haven't had much time to get to the range so most of my practice has been either in my living room or in a field near my house (where these vids are from).  I think doing this type of practice has helped me more than going to the range once a week bashing 70 balls.  Im still making a few mistakes on my course management but not nearly as many as last season or BLWS.

• Administrator

Looking awfully good!

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Ive been playing well as of late and I have to say I owe it all to Erik, Mike, and my coach at evolvr thank you.  Im hitting solid shots so often now Im expecting it( Im probably getting ahead of myself but why not have high aspirations) .  I am getting pulls as my miss but my big misses are few and far between.  I really think the 5 mins a day practice has been and is a huge help.   I haven't had much time to get to the range so most of my practice has been either in my living room or in a field near my house (where these vids are from).  I think doing this type of practice has helped me more than going to the range once a week bashing 70 balls.  Im still making a few mistakes on my course management but not nearly as many as last season or BLWS.

Great to hear. Amazing things happen when you focus on your priority piece and put in the time. I totally agree with the 5 mins a day vs bashing 70 balls once a week.

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

Looking awfully good!

Thanks coach you've helped me a ton. [quote name="mvmac" url="/t/66657/my-swing-jakester23/360#post_1147746"] Great to hear. Amazing things happen when you focus on your priority piece and put in the time. I totally agree with the 5 mins a day vs bashing 70 balls once a week. [/quote] It's definitely a game changer. The last time I played I found something I need to work on. So this weekend or next week I'll go to the range and hit balls to work on a specific shot. Thanks again for your help.

• 2 weeks later...

Ive been working on the same drill for evolvr for quite a while and Im definitely understanding why.  My swing is starting to resemble an actual golfers swing.  Im still hitting some pulls mostly with my driver but I can't complain to much.  I think Ive figured out if I make a conscious effort to start my downswing by narrowing the space between my knees I don't hit pulls.  I sent these in to evolvr so Ill see what the boss has to say. Im very happy with the direction Im heading.

\

Great to hear about your progress. Keep it up! One question - considering you're in a pasture - do you actually look for those balls?

Ha ha its not a pasture it's a field on a game farm. I guess you'd say I look for them when I walk my dog. That being said I don't care if I find them. My uncle gave me a 2 gallon bucket of experienced balls I'd never play so I just whack them. If I find them cool if not no biggie.

• 2 weeks later...

Ive been working on my evolvr drill and having a lot of success making good contact but Im getting a lot pulls as well. Im usually hitting a small pull fade but sometimes they draw.  Every now and again I hit a huge straight pull especially with my hybrids-driver.  I was wondering anyone is seeing something that  would cause that the pull.  Any help would be great. Thanks

Ive been working on my evolvr drill and having a lot of success making good contact but Im getting a lot pulls as well. Im usually hitting a small pull fade but sometimes they draw.  Every now and again I hit a huge straight pull especially with my hybrids-driver.  I was wondering anyone is seeing something that  would cause that the pull.  Any help would be great. Thanks

Swing is looking really good, Jake.

To answer your question, you're rolling your forearms over pretty hard through impact and your ball flight will be different, depending on the timing of the clubhead closing at impact.

See how your clubhead is almost flat whereas Gary Woodland's is closer to vertical?

If the contact is good and the miss is playable, I think you should just stick with your priority piece.

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

Swing is looking really good, Jake. To answer your question, you're rolling your forearms over pretty hard through impact and your ball flight will be different, depending on the timing of the clubhead closing at impact. [URL=http://thesandtrap.com/content/type/61/id/125777/] [/URL] See how your clubhead is almost flat whereas Gary Woodland's is closer to vertical? If the contact is good and the miss is playable, I think you should just stick with your priority piece.

Thanks for the reply. Is there a feel I should or shouldn't have to stop rotating my arms so fast?

Thanks for the reply. Is there a feel I should or shouldn't have to stop rotating my arms so fast?

I believe it's actually more of an effect due to what's going on with the rest of your swing, so no, the answer isn't to stop rolling your forearms over. I don't want to get into too much more than that because I don't know what your priority is and what your working on, and quite frankly I'm not confident in my ability to help. If it's a serious issue, you should ask your evolvr instructor.

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

Note: This thread is 2569 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!