IGNORED

"If golf were invented today, it would be a nine-hole game."

mvmac
Note: This thread is 4011 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Everyone needs a proximity card that stores their handicap data. All tees should have locked doors, when your try to swipe your card on the black tees and your handicap is 25, you will be greeted by a voice saying "ACCESS DENIED"

:tmade: SLDR X-Stiff 12.5°
:nike:VRS Covert 3 Wood Stiff
:nike:VRS Covert 3 Hybrid Stiff
:nike:VR Pro Combo CB 4 - PW Stiff 2° Flat
:cleveland:588RTX CB 50.10 GW
:cleveland:588RTX CB 54.10 SW
:nike:VR V-Rev 60.8 LW
:nike:Method 002 Putter

Originally Posted by iacas

I have an idea: how about we try to play 18 in the time it takes most people to play 9?!?!

I did that last week when I played by 18 myself on a day off during the week. I saw these guys teeing off on #10 when I pulled into the lot (before I got ready and paid) and I caught up to them on 18. Nothing like a 3.5 hour back nine. I wasn't even playing that fast either.

I'll occasionally play nine holes; usually when I play with my wife. I have noticed a lot more "9 hole" times on GolfNow, but those are usually in the late afternoon and usually only about $5 cheaper than an 18 hole rate at the same time. My home course has a player's club where we can play 18 after a certain time in the afternoon (currently 2:00, but it changes throughout the year) and this year they added back 9 access before 7:30am.

Tristan Hilton

My Equipment: 
PXG 0211 Driver (Diamana S+ 60; 10.5°) · PXG 0211 FWs (Diamana S+ 60; 15° and 21°) · PXG 0211 Hybrids (MMT 80; 22°, 25°, and 28°) · PXG 0311P Gen 2 Irons (SteelFiber i95; 7-PW) · Edel Wedges (KBS Hi-Rev; 50°, 55°, 60°) · Edel Classic Blade Putter (32") · Vice Pro or Maxfli Tour · Pinned Prism Rangefinder · Star Grips · Flightscope Mevo · TRUE Linkswear Shoes · Sun Mountain C130S Bag

On my MacBook Pro:
Analyzr Pro

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I play 9 hole rounds after work when I can get away in time.  If time allows I'll throw in 11 - 14 and then play 18 in - works due to our course layout.  It's a private club so I can play as many or as few as time allows. A weekend round at our course can be walked (usually) in 3:30 to 3:45 so playing 18 isn't a time killer either.

Originally Posted by Kieran123

Everyone needs a proximity card that stores their handicap data. All tees should have locked doors, when your try to swipe your card on the black tees and your handicap is 25, you will be greeted by a voice saying "ACCESS DENIED"

That's a great idea.  Like how you must have turned in previous times from races to get near the front in a marathon or a 10K.  But I don't know if it is enforceable.

Also not exactly sure how much it would help. I tried to sneak in 9 after work last night and got behind 2 younger guys.  Playing from the blues - but palying from the whites would not have mattered at all.  They wet off at 6pm and I went off at 6:15.  Had to wait on every shot - starting with my second shot on the first hole.  No one in front of them, but they never asked me to play through.  I finally ran out of time around hole 5 and just started walking back to the club house.  When I passed them, that is when I noticed that they were young, only had 1 set of clubs, and they told me it was tough to play because they didn't have a putter.  I don't think they meant harm - but had no idea about common practices.  But I don't think courses would want to risk revenue by making people pass a little questionaire before playing.

The fact that 9 holes is available isn't the same thing as being promoted.  I have to brother-in-laws who used to golf until they had kids.  One of the reasons they don't golf now is that they don't have time for 18.  If they can't play 18.....it's almost like they're not playing golf.  I'm not sure why they feel that way...but they do.

Golf could have a different image if it promoted "Quick 9" golf as something that can be done in a couple of hours versus the normal round which (although fun) is stigmatized as a long-term commitment.

Driver:  Callaway Diablo Octane iMix 11.5*
Fairway: Cobra Baffler Rail F 3W & 7W
Irons:  Wilson Ci
Wedges:  Acer XB (52* & 56*)
Putter:  Cleveland Classic #10 with Winn Jumbo Pistol Grip

Here in Michigan, it's not uncommon for players to play 9 during the week and play 18 on the weekend.

From the land of perpetual cloudiness.   I'm Denny

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I play 9 most of the time, I love 18, but need a whole day to dedicate to it. Also, when did golf become a race on how fast you can play? Isn't it supposed to be about how low you score and enjoying the moment? I will be the first to say I play 4 hr golf and if I had a course to myself, I'd probably play 5-6 ht golf. (I wouldn't do this because it would be rude, but I do enjoy being out there and would if I could)

Originally Posted by Topper

The fact that 9 holes is available isn't the same thing as being promoted.  I have to brother-in-laws who used to golf until they had kids.  One of the reasons they don't golf now is that they don't have time for 18.  If they can't play 18.....it's almost like they're not playing golf.  I'm not sure why they feel that way...but they do.

Golf could have a different image if it promoted "Quick 9" golf as something that can be done in a couple of hours versus the normal round which (although fun) is stigmatized as a long-term commitment.

Played in a scramble event at a conference this week and noticed this on the carts. Was titled "How to play in under 2:15" and listed several different hole combinations and estimated times. Pretty interesting.

Note: This thread is 4011 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!