IGNORED

Is it better to play fast or play by the rules?

trackster
Note: This thread is 3943 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

1. 1. Is it better to play fast or play by the rules?

• Play Fast
    • Play by the Rules

"You have 5 minutes to look for your first one but I'm deducting 2 minutes from your provisional shot and 45 seconds from the drive to the woods.  Your time starts now."

I read several of the comments on this thread and just don't agree with the OP's premise that you can either play by the rules or play quickly.  I don't believe these are mutually exclusive events.  From what I have seen most of slow play is due to inattention of the players.  Stupid stuff like plum bobbing 3 foot putts, not walking 20 yards from the cart to prepare to hit your next shot while you cart partner hit theirs, etc.  If all, regardless of skill level, would pay attention to the game and play ready golf there wouldn't be all these thread on slow play because slow play would be a rare event.

Butch

Originally Posted by tristanhilton85

The two aren't exclusive. I do both... play fast and by the rules.

Originally Posted by iacas

Yes.

TRUE or TRUE evaluates to TRUE.

So both.

This is not an xor question.

Originally Posted by turtleback

False dichotomy.

Originally Posted by Fourputt

They are not mutually exclusive.  Your poll is meaningless.  I've been playing by the rules for more than 20 years, and I'm one of the quicker players you'll find (and my regular fourball plays as I do).  The rules don't cause slow play.  That's an unfounded myth.

Do you guys even read things written here or do you just jump to conclusions?  In my first post I said that of course people on this forum can play fast and within the rules.  I was asking about the average golfer, not one that seeks out to join a golf forum.

Originally Posted by trackster

Do you guys even read things written here or do you just jump to conclusions?

Yes.

Ryan M

The Internet Adjustment Formula:
IAD = ( [ADD] * .96 + [EPS] * [1/.12] ) / (1.15)

IAD = Internet Adjusted Distance (in yards)
ADD = Actual Driver Distance (in yards)
EPS = E-Penis Size (in inches)

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Quote:

They are not mutually exclusive.  Your poll is meaningless.  I've been playing by the rules for more than 20 years, and I'm one of the quicker players you'll find (and my regular fourball plays as I do).  The rules don't cause slow play.  That's an unfounded myth.

Do you guys even read things written here or do you just jump to conclusions?  In my first post I said that of course people on this forum can play fast and within the rules.  I was asking about the average golfer, not one that seeks out to join a golf forum.

The average golfer doesn't play by the rules and he is a slow player as well, so what's the point again?

• Upvote 1

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

The league I'm in many players go by "winter rules" so they can roll the ball around or "fluff" it up in the rough. Even though I'm not a low handicapper I play my ball how it lies, whether it's buried in rough, under a tree, whatever because I need to learn these shots if I am to become a good golfer. I don't judge the other guys for doing it but it bothers me when they encourage me to do it also. There are people who don't count all their strokes either. To me, since it is league and our scores matter, this bothers me overall but not enough to say anything.

KICK THE FLIP!!

In the bag:
:srixon: Z355

:callaway: XR16 3 Wood
:tmade: Aeroburner 19* 3 hybrid
:ping: I e1 irons 4-PW
:vokey: SM5 50, 60
:wilsonstaff: Harmonized Sole Grind 56 and Windy City Putter

The average golfer doesn't play by the rules and he is a slow player as well, so what's the point again?

What is the point of discussing anything on this site?  Oh yes that's right, it's a golf forum, my mistake!

Quote:

What is the point of discussing anything on this site?  Oh yes that's right, it's a golf forum, my mistake!

I didn't say anything about not discussing it.  I just can't figure out where its going.  When the basic premise of the thread is flawed, it makes reasoned discussion difficult.

Rick

Yes, I read what was written.

I'll put it this way: The vast majority of "average" golfers do neither; they do not play by the rules and they aren't particularly quick either. They have room for improvement in both categories, and my point is that they can improve at both because following the rules does not cause somebody to be a slow player.

I'll admit that at times following the rules could slow things down for a minute or two, but overall does not cause slow play. The only rule situation I can think of that would cause any sort of delay would be having to go back to the tee or whatever because of a lost ball/OB, but really, that takes all of 5 minutes. Not a huge difference between a 4:00 hr round and one that is 4:05. If it's getting to the point that you have to constantly take the "walk of shame" than you simply need to take more provisionals.

Like I said earlier (do you read what is written?), the issue I have with the question is that it makes it seem that following the rules causes slow play and it does not. There are a number of things that cause a course to slow down to a crawl, but players playing by the rules isn't one of them. I've never been watching the group ahead and thought to myself "hey, that guy took a correct drop out of that hazard, damn today's going to be a long day." However, I have thought "oh crap, it's obvious these guys are here to drink, today's gonna be a long one." Please note, I'm not saying that following the rules will make you a fast player either, there are plenty of guys who play by the rules that are slow; I'm just saying that playing by the rules isn't the reason they are slow.

So to answer your original question; for the average player it is better to play fast AND by the rules as they don't have to choose between the two.

Tristan Hilton

My Equipment: 
PXG 0211 Driver (Diamana S+ 60; 10.5°) · PXG 0211 FWs (Diamana S+ 60; 15° and 21°) · PXG 0211 Hybrids (MMT 80; 22°, 25°, and 28°) · PXG 0311P Gen 2 Irons (SteelFiber i95; 7-PW) · Edel Wedges (KBS Hi-Rev; 50°, 55°, 60°) · Edel Classic Blade Putter (32") · Vice Pro or Maxfli Tour · Pinned Prism Rangefinder · Star Grips · Flightscope Mevo · TRUE Linkswear Shoes · Sun Mountain C130S Bag

On my MacBook Pro:
Analyzr Pro

I get paired up a lot and I honestly don't think I've ever played with anybody who has played by all the rules.

I don't think it's important for average golfers to play by the rules - it's definitely more important for them to play fast.  But breaking the rules can sometimes be slow, too . .for example, the other week I was stuck behind a foursome that was hitting 2-4 drives each on every tee.

One rule I break all the time which does help speed things up is that I play OB (and lost balls) as lateral.

Following the rules can induce slow play. If someone is consistently driving balls into the woods, then spending a couple minutes each time looking for the ball, you are adding considerable time to your match. Following the rules when you are at least an intermediate golfer is easy and really doesn't influence pace of play at all....however, for your average weekend warrior following the rules can cause them to slow down in order to avoid further penalty.

The wonderful thing about golf is that it is an individual sport, and the level of satisfaction you take from your success is purely your own. The rules you choose to follow or ignore are yours!! Unless you are in a tourney or going for HC, who gives a shit?  Honestly, I don't care if the foursome in front of me is using foot wedges or mulligans...as long as they are moving around the course at an acceptable pace, I am a happy camper!

R7

Edge 3-SW with Apex4 Steel shafts

Burner 2.0 AW

Putter

Street Shoes

Glove

Originally Posted by mvarley84

Following the rules can induce slow play. If someone is consistently driving balls into the woods, then spending a couple minutes each time looking for the ball, you are adding considerable time to your match. Following the rules when you are at least an intermediate golfer is easy and really doesn't influence pace of play at all....however, for your average weekend warrior following the rules can cause them to slow down in order to avoid further penalty.

The wonderful thing about golf is that it is an individual sport, and the level of satisfaction you take from your success is purely your own. The rules you choose to follow or ignore are yours!! Unless you are in a tourney or going for HC, who gives a shit?  Honestly, I don't care if the foursome in front of me is using foot wedges or mulligans...as long as they are moving around the course at an acceptable pace, I am a happy camper!

Not if the time spent looking is time waiting on people in front of you.  If you are normally a fast player, you should have plenty of time to take 2 or 3 minutes to do a ball search and still never fall behind.

Rick

I hear you.  I'm not sure why it seems so hard for some.  Disregarding the rules can definitely speed up play.  I can think of a few ways:

playing another off the tee because that is quicker than looking for the one in the woods

kicking out from behind a tree

dropping a ball and playing before even really looking for it in the woods

playing from the fringe because that is easier than playing from the bunker you just hit into

picking up a 5 and a half foot gimme instead of possibly 3 putting from there

Of course you can play fast and by the rules, as so many have pointed out.  But your question is valid.

Originally Posted by Meltdwhiskey

I hear you.  I'm not sure why it seems so hard for some.  Disregarding the rules can definitely speed up play.  I can think of a few ways:

playing another off the tee because that is quicker than looking for the one in the woods

kicking out from behind a tree

dropping a ball and playing before even really looking for it in the woods

playing from the fringe because that is easier than playing from the bunker you just hit into

picking up a 5 and a half foot gimme instead of possibly 3 putting from there

Of course you can play fast and by the rules, as so many have pointed out.  But your question is valid.

Why even play golf? Just go play putt-putt.

You're eliminating everything that makes golf....golf.

Ryan M

The Internet Adjustment Formula:
IAD = ( [ADD] * .96 + [EPS] * [1/.12] ) / (1.15)

IAD = Internet Adjusted Distance (in yards)
ADD = Actual Driver Distance (in yards)
EPS = E-Penis Size (in inches)

I'm not trying to eliminate anything.  I totally agree that those things are what make golf golf.  Just trying to say that there is some validity to the original question asked. IF a person was to do some of those things, they would probably get finished a little faster.

As to your question Why even play golf?  I don't know.  But I see plenty of people do plenty of that stuff.  Their brand of fun I guess.

Originally Posted by Slice of Life

Why even play golf? Just go play putt-putt.

You're eliminating everything that makes golf....golf.

How? Golf is an individual sport...You set your own rules and expectations. As long as you are following the course etiquette guidelines then who cares how other people play.

R7

Edge 3-SW with Apex4 Steel shafts

Burner 2.0 AW

Putter

Street Shoes

Glove

• Administrator

How? Golf is an individual sport...You set your own rules and expectations.

No you don't.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

How? Golf is an individual sport...You set your own rules and expectations. As long as you are following the course etiquette guidelines then who cares how other people play.

that statement right there goes against everything that golf stands for. The pinnacle of golf, which puts it above all other sports is the fact that golfers call penalties on themselves. They accept they penalty. They don't throw there hands up in the air and say, "I didn't do it". Going back to Bobby Jones calling a penalty on himself, its a game that invokes pride from golfers who play by the strict rules of golf. The rules are as much part of the game as the course, the golfer, the clubs. Its speaks of the tradition of a game founded hundreds of years ago.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

Note: This thread is 3943 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!