IGNORED

TST SoCal Golfers - Fall 2013 Outing - 10/13 @ Oak Quarry (Riverside, CA)

Note: This thread is 3770 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Sorry guys, Kaili and I had to cut out early to drive Grandma to the Airport.

It was fun, and hope to join you again next time.

Will post some pics.

No worries.  I did wonder though, because I saw the guy take you out to your car and then never saw you come back.  It was a long day though ... I had to cut out not long after you guys too and I still didn't get home until 3pm.

What a great time.  It was great to meet you guys, and I look forward to doing it again.

Great!  We loved having you.  If we keep on the same schedule, the next one will probably come around in December or January.  This way we can make all of those mid-westerners and northeasterners reallllly jealous. ;)

Congrats to the winning team.  Did Tristan take home MVP honors or Colin?

Good seeing all of you again, and wish I could have played better, but I really suck right now.

lol, Colin smothers half his face with his shoulder turn.  How the heck does that guy shoot 82?!?

K Troop, heckuva round after starting off the way you did.  I was sure you guys were gonna win after witnessing how you all finished 18.

Seriously.  That was some front 9 those guys had.  3 of them had 39's!!!  I think it was over by the tenth hole, lol.

18 felt good for me.  Last time, with the crown watching, I dunked a 90 yd wedge into the pond short of the green after a perfect drive, so it was extra satisfying hitting a good shot this time ... and especially making the putt.  (My only putt made yesterday and only birdie.)

I'll put together my photos and that thread about hole #1 (hopefully) later today.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Team D, Roman shot 81, gross. Kaili played okay since this was his only round in 2 months. Jeff was not doing too shabby either, I expect him to be lowering his handicap soon. I had lots of OB, I blame Mike for that because I'm hitting more solidly. Lots of lateral 1 stroke penalties and a few too many 2 stroke OB penalties. I think my 21 degree hybrid gained 15 yards. Couldn't use the driver or 3w. Brandon was right, I lost 8 balls all told.

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

Lol!

My bad... I let our team down:(

Doh!

Was fun still. Congrats team A! We will get you next time!

You need to change your location.  Apparently you've upgraded to some stylish golf pants!

Brandon was right, I lost 8 balls all told.

I mistakenly forgot to buy extra golf balls before I came down there, and I only had 5 in my bag.  I was pretty worried, especially after losing a ball on the first hole (I hit a perfect 4i to the fairway, and then from 90 yards I thinned a GW over the green and into the hazard).  But I didn't lose a ball the rest of the day.  Unfortunately, I still had to pick up and DNF three different holes :-) .  I really let my team down.

Brandon a.k.a. Tony Stark

-------------------------

The Fastest Flip in the West

Big thanks out to my team. It was a lot of fun playing with Roman Lihu and Kaili. The course was gorgeous, and can't wait to get out and play a round with everyone again. Will get my pics up in the next day or two.

"If you watch a game, it's fun. If you play it, it's recreation. If you work at it, it's golf."

Congrats to the winning team.  Did Tristan take home MVP honors or Colin?

The committee rules that Tristan and Colin will be co-MVP winners :-) Both played great.  I think at one point Tristan had a run of 8 straight pars.

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

You need to change your location.  Apparently you've upgraded to some stylish golf pants!

I mistakenly forgot to buy extra golf balls before I came down there, and I only had 5 in my bag.  I was pretty worried, especially after losing a ball on the first hole (I hit a perfect 4i to the fairway, and then from 90 yards I thinned a GW over the green and into the hazard).  But I didn't lose a ball the rest of the day.  Unfortunately, I still had to pick up and DNF three different holes .  I really let my team down.

LOL, I fully expected to lose a few balls too.  I topped my drive (fantastically too ... it created a 5" long, 1/2" deep trench, 2" in front of my tee) on #2 about 100 feet.  Fearing it went into the rocks, I hit a provisional, which I sliced clear into oblivion.  I was ready to pick up, but driving down, found my first one had not quite reached the junk, so I played out - horribly - for a 7.  Didn't lose another ball all day either, so it turns out the only one I did lose, I never really needed to hit.

If you would've told me that I'd go the whole day at that course without losing any balls (in play), I would've expected a lot better scoring.  My "blow up" holes were that one, and two others, both of which were not (really) caused by poor tee shots.  #6 and #17 were mirrors of each other ... I drove into the fairway bunker, hit horrible shots out that didn't go anywhere, hacked out of the rough, then a poor approach/chip, then a couple of putts.  In retrospect, both of those mistakes could be deemed mental, and I should have hit 3 wood on each of those holes.  Best reasonable case for all 3 is a par, worst reasonable is a bogey.  My 85 could have/should have been a 78-80.  Boy, is that a familiar refrain.

I birdied 18, but I think my highlight of the day was #11.  I topped a 3 wood about 70 yards and it was sitting up in the rough between the white and red tees.  (Yes, I was 20 yards short of reaching the red tees)  However, a 5 iron from there to the right side of the fairway, then a gap wedge to 4 feet, and a putt ... and I still walked away with par.  Those are fun holes. :)

I birdied 18, but I think my highlight of the day was #11.  I topped a 3 wood about 70 yards and it was sitting up in the rough between the white and red tees.  (Yes, I was 20 yards short of reaching the red tees)  However, a 5 iron from there to the right side of the fairway, then a gap wedge to 4 feet, and a putt ... and I still walked away with par.  Those are fun holes. :)

That was a great par, Drew.  #11 was one of 3 holes on the back nine alone where I hit a perfect tee shot and missed the green with a GW/LW.  I FREAKING HATE WEDGES.  I had more approach shots inside 15' with irons than I had GIRs with wedges.  Did I mention how bad a wedge player I am??

Kevin

Titleist 910 D3 9.5* with ahina 72 X flex
Titleist 910F 13.5* with ahina 72 X flex
Adams Idea A12 Pro hybrid 18*; 23* with RIP S flex
Titleist 712 AP2 4-9 iron with KBS C-Taper, S+ flex
Titleist Vokey SM wedges 48*, 52*, 58*
Odyssey White Hot 2-ball mallet, center shaft, 34"

Did I mention how bad a wedge player I am??

LOL.  On 16, after you messed up that same wedge shot you also had on 15, I looked away, and right after I looked away, 2 ducks started playing/fighting in the pond just to the right of me (also near where you were) and I looked up immediately because for a second I thought that might have been the splash from your wedge. ;)

[QUOTE][/QUOTE][quote name="bplewis24" url="/t/67969/tst-socal-golfers-fall-2013-outing-10-13-oak-quarry-riverside-ca/360#post_908062"] You need to change your location.  Apparently you've upgraded to some stylish golf pants! [/quote] @bplewis24 - cargos were in the laundry basket cuz I rock the shit outta those;)

@bplewis24 - cargos were in the laundry basket cuz I rock the shit outta those;)

Better than rockin the shit in them ;)

"If you watch a game, it's fun. If you play it, it's recreation. If you work at it, it's golf."

Guys, I had fun playing yesterday.  Thanks for putting together another outing...

Too bad our team kind of limped around the course... Mike M. needs to be a 15 cap, not a 9.  9 was my guesstimate from 6mo ago, when he played Talega, and I've forgotten to have Tristan update it.  That would help a little, but @GolfSwine and @bplewis24 and I all had various blow up holes too which didn't help. #2 and #11 kicked my tail.

So Cheers to Team A. :beer:

Regarding the next tournament, please let me know when you all decide...  I'd definitely like to participate.

PS. I think we should do a gross/net skins game next time too.  $5 per entry, and winner(s) take all?  We do this with one men's leagues I play in, and it makes it interesting for each guy.  I know @GolfSwine would've taken at least one skin with his Gross Eagle on #2.

Guys, I had fun playing yesterday.  Thanks for putting together another outing...

Too bad our team kind of limped around the course... Mike M. needs to be a 15 cap, not a 9.  9 was my guesstimate from 6mo ago, when he played Talega, and I've forgotten to have Tristan update it.  That would help a little, but @GolfSwine and @bplewis24 and I all had various blow up holes too which didn't help. #2 and #11 kicked my tail.

So Cheers to Team A.

Regarding the next tournament, please let me know when you all decide...  I'd definitely like to participate.

PS. I think we should do a gross/net skins game next time too.  $5 per entry, and winner(s) take all?  We do this with one men's leagues I play in, and it makes it interesting for each guy.  I know @GolfSwine would've taken at least one skin with his Gross Eagle on #2.

It was a great time out there. It's a tough course and I surprised myself by playing as well as I did. I managed to get around the front in 39 after opening with a three putt bogey and a double on the second. I faded a bit on the back and couldn't finish nearly as strong, ended up shooting 85. Still not a bad round.

I'm thinking for this next one we'll be looking at January. I'm open to ideas about courses. I like the area we had it this time as it's pretty damn central for everybody; Temecula would also be central. Since that is the golf season out in the desert, we could also do it out in my direction if enough people are willing to make the drive. The only issue is that the cost may be a bit more, especially if we are going to play a course as nice as the last couple. If that's what you guys want to do though, let me know and I'll make some calls. As far as format goes, we were tossing around some ideas in our group. I like the idea of doing some sort of skins game although if we do, we definitely want to make sure that everybody's handicap is legit. We talked about maybe doing some sort of match play or something like that. We got plenty of time to figure that out though.

Tristan Hilton

My Equipment: 
PXG 0211 Driver (Diamana S+ 60; 10.5°) · PXG 0211 FWs (Diamana S+ 60; 15° and 21°) · PXG 0211 Hybrids (MMT 80; 22°, 25°, and 28°) · PXG 0311P Gen 2 Irons (SteelFiber i95; 7-PW) · Edel Wedges (KBS Hi-Rev; 50°, 55°, 60°) · Edel Classic Blade Putter (32") · Vice Pro or Maxfli Tour · Pinned Prism Rangefinder · Star Grips · Flightscope Mevo · TRUE Linkswear Shoes · Sun Mountain C130S Bag

On my MacBook Pro:
Analyzr Pro

Thanks Tristan for setting this up, and I enjoyed seeing you guys again yesterday. I wish I could have stayed after the round for a post-game beer and a bite to eat, but the 2pm finish threw my schedule a bit. I got back home just 2 hours before my flight to SFO departed. Didn't even have time to take a shower before leaving (sorry to the nice lady in row 24 who sat next to me!)

Mike thanks for the kind words but the truth is that we all played well as a team. Looking back on the round, I can't remember a single hole where two people scored poorly on the same hole. My double bogies tended to come on holes where everyone else parred and ditto for Tristan. All I can say is that we used our "throwaway" scores wisely!

Had a blast, can't wait to do it again.

• 2 months later...
Note: This thread is 3770 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!