IGNORED

Interesting Golfers You have been pair with?

MEfree
Note: This thread is 3916 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

When I was a member of a club in Dallas, I was paired in an outing with a guy I didn't know. He knocked the snot out of the ball, was an amazing ball striker, and putted out of this world. I don't know exactly what he shot, but I think it was 4 or 5 under par. I was in awe. I learned from other members that he was an ex-Hooters Tour player who couldn't make it in the big leagues. I then looked his handicap up online, and it was a +2-something... That's when I began to truly realize how great PGA tour players actually are...

Originally Posted by Wally

I've gotten paired with a complete hack earlier this summer. This guy could have kicked his ball farther than he hit it. He would hit a ball out of bounds into a hazard, and then proceed to go to the hazard (which he lacked the skill to get out of), drop a ball, and then try to hit it out. Well, he hit it out alright. Out of bounds. Wash, rinse, and repeat.

Don't even get me started on his putting. He would have a 60 footer from off the green, sometimes in light rough, and he would just tap it. The ball would go 2 maybe 3 feet. And the funny thing is, he said he had just taken a putting lesson. This guy had no business playing a round with others during this peak time of day.

And to make matters even worse, it was a links style course, with half of the course right off the ocean, so it was very windy.

It took over 5 hours to play a round because of this guy. Ugh! He was the worst golfer I had ever seen or played with.

Golf snob alert

Who are you to dictate when and how someone should play?

Honestly hate this sort of attitude towards people playing golf

Originally Posted by Slk1981

Golf snob alert

Honestly hate this sort of attitude towards people playing golf5

Perhaps he was good from the start unlike us, eh?

True story.  My group and one after us were waiting to tee off.  One of the guys in front of us hit a 100 yard on a 220 yard par 3 (it's down hill & down wind and plays close to 18 5).   As soon as he started to look for his golf ball in rough, an older golfer (in his 60s) behind me started to talk trash  - "what the hell is he doing? etc.?   He went on for some time and it got so bad that my partner turned around and told him to shut up.  He got quite after that.  Funny thing was, the old guy could not play well either.   And I am pretty sure he was horrific when he 1st started to play golf.

(  Playing bad is not a sin.  It is sin only if the guy insists on playing from back tee.  )

RiCK

(Play it again, Sam)

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Originally Posted by rkim291968

True story.  My group and one after us were waiting to tee off.  One of the guys in front of us hit a 100 yard on a 220 yard par 3 (it's down hill & down wind and plays close to 185).   As soon as he started to look for his golf ball in rough, an older golfer (in his 60s) behind me started to talk trash  - "what the hell is he doing? etc.?   He went on for some time and it got so bad that my partner turned around and told him to shut up.  He got quite after that.  Funny thing was, the old guy could not play well either.   And I am pretty sure he was horrific when he 1st started to play golf.

(  Playing bad is not a sin.  It is sin only if the guy insists on playing from back tee.  )

Maybe we should all stay away from golf course's until we are under a 10 handicap, That way we will not get in the way of these PGA pro golfers out there

True story.  My group and one after us were waiting to tee off.  One of the guys in front of us hit a 100 yard on a 220 yard par 3 (it's down hill & down wind and plays close to 185).   As soon as he started to look for his golf ball in rough, an older golfer (in his 60s) behind me started to talk trash  - "what the hell is he doing? etc.?   He went on for some time and it got so bad that my partner turned around and told him to shut up.  He got quite after that.  Funny thing was, the old guy could not play well either.   And I am pretty sure he was horrific when he 1st started to play golf.

Maybe we should all stay away from golf course's until we are under a 10 handicap, That way we will not get in the way of these PGA pro golfers out there

Nothing at all wrong with being bad.  There is no excuse for being slow though.  If it takes someone 120+ strokes to get around the course, no problem, as long as they can do it and still keep up with the group in front of them.  Until then, they should play when others aren't around, when it's so crowded/slow that they can keep up, or confine their practice to the range.....

......BTW, that same caveat applies to those that can get around in 75 strokes.

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

I played with an elderly guy last year who "played his slice". He had a pretty bad slice, so whenever he went to hit any shot he would always line up very far left of where he intended. The best part was that this guy knew his slice so well that despite aiming far left and slicing, his ball would always land as if he hit it straight! Needless to say, he shot pretty well that day.

Driver: :cobra: BiO Cell (10.5º)

Wood: :ping: G15 3 (15.5°)

Hybrids: :callaway: Diablo Edge: 3 (21º), 4 (24º)

Irons: :callaway: Diablo Edge: 5-PW

Wedges: :cleveland:588 RTX CB 50º, Paradise Black Chrome II Sand Wedge 56º

Originally Posted by Lihu

Is the golf course primarily on the bunny slopes?

Not really- the 2nd hole is (pitchfork lift) and the 1st is mostly on a wide cat track that runs from there down to the Superbee lift.  A few of the other holes are at the bottom of a some intermediate and advanced runs, but much of the course sits just off the ski mountain.

:mizuno: MP-52 5-PW, :cobra: King Snake 4 i 
:tmade: R11 Driver, 3 W & 5 W, :vokey: 52, 56 & 60 wedges
:seemore: putter

Golf snob alert

Honestly hate this sort of attitude towards people playing golf

Originally Posted by David in FL

Nothing at all wrong with being bad.  There is no excuse for being slow though.  If it takes someone 120+ strokes to get around the course, no problem, as long as they can do it and still keep up with the group in front of them.  Until then, they should play when others aren't around, when it's so crowded/slow that they can keep up, or confine their practice to the range.....

......BTW, that same caveat applies to those that can get around in 75 strokes.

Someone finally understands. Thank you! When I said this guy had no business playing with others during this peak time of day, I didn't mean he should never play the sport. I'm all for anyone learning to play and am more than willing to help any player in any way. But I hate slow play. I don't like to hold up others and if I feel I am, I pick up the pace or let them play through. I just meant what David in FL is saying.  I never once told the guy he was awful at golf or anything of the sort. He was quite a nice guy.

I am not a "golf snob" as Slk1981 assumes. And I was not the only one playing. My playing partner was annoyed that he was going so slow, and there was a foursome behind us that was annoyed as well. We politely told the guy we needed to move along, but he just continued to take way too long and make up drop rules and such that made it harder on him, and take him even longer to play. He was also playing from farther back tees than he should have been.

Lastly, this was a very nice semi-private course, one of the best in my state. This was a prime vacation time because it was Memorial Day weekend. There were tee times back to back. It cost me $85 to play it so I think I am entitled to be a little frustrated here, don't you think?

The first round of golf I ever played as a member of a club was with a married couple who were absolutely lovely :) The funny thing was a few weeks later I played a round with another married couple and all the way round it was (wife to husband) "Why arent you listening to me", "Why are you ignoring me" and the killer "Oh David, why did you do that" as she hooked her ball in to the OOB! :) Then a few weeks later paired up with yet another married couple who i thought were going to have sex on the course any second and once they found out Im ex-Army (they are current RAF) the language changed from prim and propper to proper trooper swearing where not one swear word was used twice all afternoon :) However, the best guy I played a round with suffers from Parkinsons and you can see him shaking when teeing off and uses a cart to play his round and once done its straight on to his meds for pain relief. The guy actually won our division in last months medal comp too! He was great to talk to and bloody good at golf...it was just that he seemed to suffer from everything under the sun and if he didnt have it, then it clearly wasnt worth having! Regards Mailman

Mailman

Years ago, maybe 1988, my wife and I played with an older gentleman down on Cape Cod.  He was the retired President of Aston Martin motorcars.  He was one of the engineers that got to build the first James Bond car.  He had some cool stories and talked about how fun it was to do that project.  He also was a semi-pro racer and drove his golf cart like a stunt car driver!  Very nice man.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

Years ago, maybe 1988, my wife and I played with an older gentleman down on Cape Cod.  He was the retired President of Aston Martin motorcars.  He was one of the engineers that got to build the first James Bond car.  He had some cool stories and talked about how fun it was to do that project.  He also was a semi-pro racer and drove his golf cart like a stunt car driver!  Very nice man.

That's pretty awesome. I'm going to take a wild guess and say he drives an Aston Martin. Lucky guy! The DB9 and Vanquish are so awesome!

Got paired once with a plumber from Maine who kept a bottle of Tabasco sauce in his cart. Loved to drink it straight from the bottle.

Once in Florida, played with a guy on oxygen. Didn't hit the ball that far; hoses got in the way.

One late afternoon in Connecticut, I got paired up with Jack Nicklaus II for 9 (Jack Nicklaus' #1 son and caddy). He hit the ball all over the place and couldn't qualify for the Hogan Tour event at Yale the next day.

Back in the mid 80's I was paired with a old dude who only had one club.  It was adjustable. Had a wing nut and he would just change the angle of the head for whatever club he needed.  That was the craziest thing I ever saw.  He wound up shooting an 85, which was exactly his age.

Driver: 9.5 Titleist 910, Fairway Woods: G2 3 wood and 5 woods
Irons: Titleist CB712
Wedges: 52 - Vokey, 56 - Vokey Raw,
Putter: Odyssey White Hot #1
Ball: NXT Tour

Originally Posted by Saig55

Back in the mid 80's I was paired with a old dude who only had one club.  It was adjustable. Had a wing nut and he would just change the angle of the head for whatever club he needed.  That was the craziest thing I ever saw.  He wound up shooting an 85, which was exactly his age.

These are great for a casual round once you get used to the crazy distances and trajectories. Everything from a putter to a lob wedge in here. Fun club, and obviously 100% illegal!

I have one! I found at a garage sale in a bag of clubs.

Paid $5.00 for it. Cleaned it up and it's hanging on my wall.

Never hit it though, guess I should give it a try sometime

~Tom B.

I ordered a Chicken and an Egg on the Internet, to find out which came first... I'll keep you posted!

Originally Posted by Saig55

Back in the mid 80's I was paired with a old dude who only had one club.  It was adjustable. Had a wing nut and he would just change the angle of the head for whatever club he needed.

Wow!   I need this club.   I just need to get used to hitting one club instead 10 different irons of varying length.  There is no need to carry big bags, either.   I will also never end up with a wrong club with my cart parked 100 yards away.   I will never lose another iron club b/c I would be using the same club on the next hole.

RiCK

(Play it again, Sam)

Archie Bunker, the avatar can't be really your face, eh? Archie I know on TV looked different than the avatar you display.   It is a great golf name though ... like Mo Green, Les Scully, Sandy Lord, ...

RiCK

(Play it again, Sam)

By any chance, was his name "Bertie Wooster"?

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

Note: This thread is 3916 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!