IGNORED

2013 RBC Canadian Open Discussion Thread

mvmac
Note: This thread is 3918 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Originally Posted by tmac20

Regardless, he's still the low Canadian out of 18 players in Canada's national open.

So he has that to tell his grandkids.

So mocking Canadian golfers is better

:titleist: 913 D2 w/ Oban Kiyoshi Purple :ping: G25 3 Wood w/ Graphite Design Tour AD-DJ6 :titleist: 913H 21* w/ Diamana Blue :ping: G25 4 - PW :vokey: SM4 Oil Can - 52, 56, 60 :cameron: Studio Select Newport 2 :golflogix: :bushnell: Tour V3

Originally Posted by zipazoid

He also won the Masters, but that tournament doesn't matter, right?

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Originally Posted by Chilli Dipper

Hey, Hideki Matsuyama's in the field this week. After Muirfield, I was thinking about where his earnings from two top-tens in majors put him towards earning enough money to secure a PGA Tour card for next year. He's at $417,907, which is behind the current $503,606 threshold of the current earnings of no. 125 on the 2013 money list. What really shocked me, though, is that the young man is currently 34th in the world rankings; I can't believe he's that far up. That means he's not only playing this week, but he's also in the field next week at the WGC event at Firestone, and the PGA Championship a week after that. Granted, even if Hideki does satisfy the requirements for PGA Tour membership, he may still prefer to play in Japan full-time for the forseeable future, but I'd still like to see if he'd be able to do it.

I'm checking the leaderboard, and Matsuyama's five-under so far. That's a good start.

(Edit: What I didn't know about Hideki Matsuyama, and what you didn't hear through the "rookie pro gets into the field of two Opens through regional qualifiers, and finishes in the top ten each time" narrative, is that he has been dominant on the Japan Golf Tour this year, winning twice and earning twice as much as the second-place golfer on the Order of Merit even without the two major appearances. So now you know.)

Are you sure that WGC money counts?  Looking at Gonzalo Fernandez-Castano, he is shown as the leading money winner on the non-member earnings list, but his total does not include any official $ for 9th at the Match Play or 43rd at the Cadillac http://www.pgatour.com/players/player.25191.gonzalo-fdez-castano.html/season/#uber

If they don't count WGC money it will be MUCH LESS LIKELY for guys to jump over to the PGA Tour from other tours as Q School no longer gets them a card.  In the past, a guy who was top 50 in the OWGR got exempted into Q school finals.  I don't know anything about Matsuyama (other than that he is the best Japanese player currently), but my guess is that he would try the PGA Tour (at least 15 events) if he earns enough to get a card.

:mizuno: MP-52 5-PW, :cobra: King Snake 4 i 
:tmade: R11 Driver, 3 W & 5 W, :vokey: 52, 56 & 60 wedges
:seemore: putter

Quote:
Originally Posted by saturday View Post

So mocking Canadian golfers is better

Not mocking anyone. Just saying what's big deal being the best out of a pool of three golfers?

Quote:
He also won the Masters, but that tournament doesn't matter, right?

No, that was quite an accomplishment. Being T55 after 3 rounds of the Canadian Open isn't. I take it you can tell the difference, right?

Not mocking anyone. Just saying what's big deal being the best out of a pool of three golfers? No, that was quite an accomplishment. Being T55 after 3 rounds of the Canadian Open isn't. I take it you can tell the difference, right?

It's national pride. We don't have a huge pool of golfers to pick from so when our guys do make the big show its fun to see. Hope you can at least understand that?

:titleist: 913 D2 w/ Oban Kiyoshi Purple :ping: G25 3 Wood w/ Graphite Design Tour AD-DJ6 :titleist: 913H 21* w/ Diamana Blue :ping: G25 4 - PW :vokey: SM4 Oil Can - 52, 56, 60 :cameron: Studio Select Newport 2 :golflogix: :bushnell: Tour V3

Originally Posted by MEfree

Are you sure that WGC money counts?  Looking at Gonzalo Fernandez-Castano, he is shown as the leading money winner on the non-member earnings list, but his total does not include any official $ for 9th at the Match Play or 43rd at the Cadillac http://www.pgatour.com/players/player.25191.gonzalo-fdez-castano.html/season/#uber

If they don't count WGC money it will be MUCH LESS LIKELY for guys to jump over to the PGA Tour from other tours as Q School no longer gets them a card.  In the past, a guy who was top 50 in the OWGR got exempted into Q school finals.  I don't know anything about Matsuyama (other than that he is the best Japanese player currently), but my guess is that he would try the PGA Tour (at least 15 events) if he earns enough to get a card.

Huh, you learn something new everyday. I'm betting the official explanation is that since WGCs are no-cut events, they would unfairly reflect on international (non-member) players' earnings, as they are guaranteed a paycheck by just being there.

In my UnderArmour Links stand bag...

Driver: '07 Burner 9.5° (stiff graphite shaft)
Woods: SasQuatch 17° 4-Wood (stiff graphite shaft)
Hybrid: 4DX Ironwood 20° (stiff graphite shaft)Irons/Wedges: Apex Edge 3-PW, GW, SW (stiff shaft); Carnoustie 60° LWPutter: Rossa AGSI+ Corzina...

• Administrator

Not mocking anyone. Just saying what's big deal being the best out of a pool of three golfers?

Because it's an Open, so technically, he's the best of ALL Canadian golfers.

And even if you limit it to those who qualified for the event, the count is 18, not 3. He obviously beat those who missed the cut since he, you know, made the cut. Just as the Low Am at the Masters, U.S. Open, or British Open is still the "low am" of ALL the amateurs who played, even if he's the only one to make the cut.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Originally Posted by iacas

And even if you limit it to those who qualified for the event, the count is 18, not 3. He obviously beat those who missed the cut since he, you know, made the cut. Just as the Low Am at the Masters, U.S. Open, or British Open is still the "low am" of ALL the amateurs who played, even if he's the only one to make the cut.

Yes, I understand the concept.

But hey, take it a step further. How many Canadians tried to qualify? He beat all them too. So the count is much higher than 18.

Probably at least 25.

(Note: I hope all understand I'm just doing some good-natured ribbing here. One of the greatest ball-strikers was Canadian (Moe Norman). George Knudson was a solid tour player in the 60s. I know Canadians love their golf. Just having a little fun here guys)

No, that was quite an accomplishment. Being T55 after 3 rounds of the Canadian Open isn't. I take it you can tell the difference, right?

Originally Posted by iacas

I agree 100% with Erik...How many guys on this forum wouldn't cream their pants to be t55 after 3 rounds of the Canadian Open?

Congrats to the Mahan's on their new daughter.

Hunter is going to be a great dad . However, I am afraid that the prize money he could have made if he had won, just might be the amount he might pay for a daughter's wedding!

And I am pulling for the Nashville native-son Snedecker to win!

Originally Posted by MEfree

I agree 100% with Erik...How many guys on this forum wouldn't cream their pants to be t55 after 3 rounds of the Canadian Open?

I didn't win the Masters, and I was never one of the top ten players in the world. I'm sure there's some consolation for being the low Canadian at the Canadian Open for Weir, but I doubt it makes up for the position he's in relative to the rest of the field.

Originally Posted by Kingkat1954

Congrats to the Mahan's on their new daughter.

Hunter is going to be a great dad . However, I am afraid that the prize money he could have made if he had won, just might be the amount he might pay for a daughter's wedding!

He'll win back the prize money he left on the table at Glen Abbey. His daughter will have a lavish wedding ceremony 25 years from now, I'm sure.

In my UnderArmour Links stand bag...

Driver: '07 Burner 9.5° (stiff graphite shaft)
Woods: SasQuatch 17° 4-Wood (stiff graphite shaft)
Hybrid: 4DX Ironwood 20° (stiff graphite shaft)Irons/Wedges: Apex Edge 3-PW, GW, SW (stiff shaft); Carnoustie 60° LWPutter: Rossa AGSI+ Corzina...

I didn't win the Masters, and I was never one of the top ten players in the world. I'm sure there's some consolation for being the low Canadian at the Canadian Open for Weir, but I doubt it makes up for the position he's in relative to the rest of the field.

He'll win back the prize money he left on the table at Glen Abbey. His daughter will have a lavish wedding ceremony 25 years from now, I'm sure.

Probably true , but then again I only had two sons , and what the wife and I paid was "lavish" enough!!!!!! LOL

Question.... So, how did you make that triple, Dustin? Answer..... I made an 8 foot putt!

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

I hear that Sneds just asked his wife to go shopping for a baby gift...

Actually, Weir was 2nd low Canadian to David Hearn.  Considering that Weir had a ~3 year stretch where he was fighting injuries and and only made 8 of 53 cuts (including 0 for 14 last season), I am sure that he is happy to make the cut this week and happy with the way his game has been coming back (6 made cuts in his last 9 events).

I'm surprised the field is as strong as it is...  I wasn't even going to watch this tournament, until I saw your post Mike.  Now I may have to tune in on Sunday?

Just reading this thread. You mean you haven't seen all those guys with the RBC logo on their shirts and bags for the last few years? Of course they are going to be there.

In my Sun Mountain 14 Way Stand Bag:

Driver - Ping G30 10.5* : Fairway - Ping G30 18* : Hybrids - Titleist 915H 21* & 915 H 24* : Irons - Mizuno JPX 850 Forged 5 - GW : Wedges, Vokey 54.14, Vokey 58.12 : Putter - Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2 or Ping Craz-E-R  : Ball - Bridgestone B330RX, Cart - Cliqgear 3.5

I wasn't sure it was just ribbing hence my defensive stance :D Thanks for explaining. We are definitely passionate about our golf, even more now since there are some hopefuls that can be contenders weekly.

I wasn't sure it was just ribbing hence my defensive stance :D Thanks for explaining.We are definitely passionate about our golf, even more now since there are some hopefuls that can be contenders weekly.

On one of the pre round telecasts, it was stated that Canada has more gofers per capita than anywhere else. I believe it. Courses are pretty full everywhere around Toronto. Hockey and golf seem to go together and people here are passionate about both sports.

In my Sun Mountain 14 Way Stand Bag:

Driver - Ping G30 10.5* : Fairway - Ping G30 18* : Hybrids - Titleist 915H 21* & 915 H 24* : Irons - Mizuno JPX 850 Forged 5 - GW : Wedges, Vokey 54.14, Vokey 58.12 : Putter - Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2 or Ping Craz-E-R  : Ball - Bridgestone B330RX, Cart - Cliqgear 3.5

Note: This thread is 3918 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!