IGNORED

Early morning or late afternoon golfer?

greasemonkey88
Note: This thread is 3905 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

1. 1. Early or late player

• Early
    • Late
    • Both here and there

Like the title says. Let me know why you play when you do. :-D

"Don't always believe quotes you read on the internet, they might be fake." Abraham Lincoln :tmade: RBZ 8.5 Driver _ :touredge: 52* 56* 60* wedges _ :nike: MOJO Ball :tmade: RBZ Stage 2: #3 hybrid _ :adams: #5 & #6 hybrid :tmade: RBZ Irons _ :odyssey: White hot #3 blade putter :nike: Lunar Control Shoe _ :golflogix: For iPhone

I play early because of the heat down here in the summer.... BUT, it takes me 2 or 3 holes before I feel I'm swinging right, so I would say I prefer to play late if I have a choice.

As Jimmy Buffett says, "I like Cajun Martini's and playing afternoon golf."

• Upvote 2

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

My mom used to ask me if I wanted milk or tea with my dinner. My dad used to always whisper "Tell her yes".

So in answer to the question I say yes.

Early.  Much cooler, and less chance of getting caught by our normal afternoon thunderstorms down here.

Also leaves the option for a replay if the opportunity (i.e. spousal permission) presents itself!

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

I have a membership at my public course that allows me unlimited range balls and playing the front nine starting 2.5 hours before sunset for $7 (walking). So it's late evening golf for me. It's fun, there are a group of us there all the time and we are all pushing to get through the nine and often another 4 or 5 holes. We call the extra holes a "mini-tour", so good fun with like minded golfers.

Why do they call golf "golf"?  Because all the other four letter words were taken.

Any and all times of day.  Probably least favorite is late, but only because I want to be sure that I have enough time to get in a full 18 hole round.  Since I retired, I don't see any reason to make a point of getting up at the crack of dawn to play, so I usually take a mid morning weekday time.  For a lot of my Colorado Avid Golfer Passport courses, the price breaks don't start until noon or 1 PM, so for those I'm restricted to afternoon.   That doesn't bother me either.  I like being on the course whenever I can get there.

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

Originally Posted by boogielicious

As Jimmy Buffett says, "I like Cajun Martini's and playing afternoon golf."

Yeah this, though for me it's beer.

Dave :-)

Late.  I work nights, so getting up at the crack of dawn on Sunday morning isnt going to happen.  Not to mention the courses are usually much less crowded, so you dont need a tee time and the rates are cheaper.

Whats in my :sunmountain: C-130 cart bag?

Woods: :mizuno: JPX 850 9.5*, :mizuno: JPX 850 15*, :mizuno: JPX-850 19*, :mizuno: JPX Fli-Hi #4, :mizuno: JPX 800 Pro 5-PW, :mizuno: MP T-4 50-06, 54-09 58-10, :cleveland: Smart Square Blade and :bridgestone: B330-S

Waking up early. Greens are wet.

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

Mostly later since there tends to be less players at that point. There are usually always early flights out and I like to go out with no flights headed out the last hours or so.

Ogio Grom | Callaway X Hot Pro | Callaway X-Utility 3i | Mizuno MX-700 23º | Titleist Vokey SM 52.08, 58.12 | Mizuno MX-700 15º | Titleist 910 D2 9,5º | Scotty Cameron Newport 2 | Titleist Pro V1x and Taylormade Penta | Leupold GX-1

Yeah the lack of traffic on the course late is a big factor. I do get up early and head out about once a month but it's tough to make it worthwhile. Often ten or more carts waiting for the starter to get them out. There's been a few evenings this week where I've been able to get 18 in after work if I get to #1 tee before 6PM.

I try to get the first tee time, often before 6am. Lets me get home by 930 and keep the wife happy, which leads to more golf.
  • Upvote 1

Dan

:tmade: R11s 10.5*, Adila RIP Phenom 60g Stiff
:ping: G20 3W
:callaway: Diablo 3H
:ping:
i20 4-U, KBS Tour Stiff
:vokey: Vokey SM4 54.14 
:vokey: Vokey :) 58.11

:scotty_cameron: Newport 2
:sunmountain: Four 5

Originally Posted by Dave2512

Yeah the lack of traffic on the course late is a big factor. I do get up early and head out about once a month but it's tough to make it worthwhile. Often ten or more carts waiting for the starter to get them out. There's been a few evenings this week where I've been able to get 18 in after work if I get to #1 tee before 6PM.

I've never played a course in Colorado which didn't run from a tee sheet.  10 carts backed up on #1 tee?  Never happen on the courses I play.

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

Originally Posted by Fourputt

I've never played a course in Colorado which didn't run from a tee sheet.  10 carts backed up on #1 tee?  Never happen on the courses I play.

These courses do too but people like me try to walk on early. The cart backup isn't due to organized chaos as much as everyone in Brighton/Ft Lupton knows each other because we're always there. More of a social backup than anything as we wait our turn, groups get mixed and matched as you spot a friend. I've taken a peek at their site and seen nothing but open times for the entire day only to roll in 15 minutes later to find a full parking lot. It's not like the busier city courses where times are reserved days in advance. If there's a problem it they don't update the site quick enough as the times get filled.

I typically play late-ish. Weekdays it's because I work until 5 pm. On the weekends some of the courses have all you can play after 2 pm for the price of 18 and a cart. Drawback is it's usually so slow is you are lucky to get an extra 9 in before it's too dark.

KICK THE FLIP!!

In the bag:
:srixon: Z355

:callaway: XR16 3 Wood
:tmade: Aeroburner 19* 3 hybrid
:ping: I e1 irons 4-PW
:vokey: SM5 50, 60
:wilsonstaff: Harmonized Sole Grind 56 and Windy City Putter

I like playing super early, like sunrise. i generally have a better attitude.  its also nice knowing that you can relax after the round and maybe go back out on the range to work on some things. afternoon golf you generally shut it down after the round.

Note: This thread is 3905 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!