IGNORED

2013 NFL Football

Golfingdad
Note: This thread is 3793 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Quote:

Originally Posted by jamo

Are you hoping they keep or get rid of Roethlisberger? As bad as the Steelers have been for most of the year, I still fear Ben as much as just about any QB.

I'm not so sure if moving it off-site and making them blind to the original call would be improvements, but I've been saying forever that it would be faster and better if the on-field refs didn't have to do it themselves.

Right.  Whether it's in New York or upstairs in the stadium is neither here nor there ... the thing that has always bothered me was the fact that the guys who made the original calls were the ones reviewing themselves.  Even the best of them is going to have a little bias inside from time to time so keeping it out of their hands is a good idea.  I assume that centralizing it instead of having an extra ref at every game is just a financial thing.

And his comparison to medical trials is hard to argue with, in defense of the double blind idea.  But is it ultimately necessary?  Perhaps not.

The important thing about those changes is that they may or may not improve things, but it would be really, really, hard to make the argument AGAINST them.  They certainly couldn't hurt. ;)

The problem with the above described double blind is that it doesn't seem to have anything for correcting non-calls, and I see that as necessary as correcting mistaken calls.  The other day, they even missed a false start and called it against the defense for encroachment.  If the defense hadn't jumped, the false start would have been ignored even under the double blind system.

There are too many missed calls on pass interference too, both with flags which should never have been thrown and non-calls which are shown to be blatant fouls on replay.  Since PI is such a potentially game changing penalty, I feel that something needs to be done to ensure that obvious mistakes are being corrected.

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

The problem with the above described double blind is that it doesn't seem to have anything for correcting non-calls, and I see that as necessary as correcting mistaken calls.  The other day, they even missed a false start and called it against the defense for encroachment.  If the defense hadn't jumped, the false start would have been ignored even under the double blind system.   There are too many missed calls on pass interference too, both with flags which should never have been thrown and non-calls which are shown to be blatant fouls on replay.  Since PI is such a potentially game changing penalty, I feel that something needs to be done to ensure that obvious mistakes are being corrected.

Don't disagree at all. The replay system is never going to be perfect, but it seems like it could at least be improved a bit with this new wrinkle. But, yeah, missed non calls and bogus penalties are probably (sadly) never going away.

The problem with the above described double blind is that it doesn't seem to have anything for correcting non-calls, and I see that as necessary as correcting mistaken calls.  The other day, they even missed a false start and called it against the defense for encroachment.  If the defense hadn't jumped, the false start would have been ignored even under the double blind system.

There are too many missed calls on pass interference too, both with flags which should never have been thrown and non-calls which are shown to be blatant fouls on replay.  Since PI is such a potentially game changing penalty, I feel that something needs to be done to ensure that obvious mistakes are being corrected.

We've discussed this here before.  Trouble is there doesn't seem to be an easy answer.  My son suggested more refs on the field, but it is pretty crowded now.  Full time refs who maybe train better may be the answer.  The plays happen so fast and with receivers and CBs being very fast as well, the refs have trouble keeping up.

I still hold to my 15 yard max penalty, but we've debated that already.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

You should have seen the cluster**** that was the blocked field goal in the Green Bay/Pittsburgh game.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap2000000303855/article/nfl-inability-to-review-play-cost-steelers-possession

Again, lame-ass excuse by the NFL.  They do this on plays where the whistle stops the play too.  A lot of times its either an inadvertent or premature whistle.  They should be reviewable.

Scott

My Swing Thread

Wade Phillips (Texans interim coach) sent the film of Peyton Manning's 50th TD pass to the league for review and the league has confirmed that it shouldn't have been a completion. Phillips then made a point to tell the media about it and sounded almost gleeful to get it out there.

Decker's catch was reviewed during the game and upheld, giving the Broncos a 30-13 lead with 6:57 left in the game. Phillips asked the NFL for clarification this week as he maintained Decker was juggling the ball.

"We did get some good news. Actually, it's bad news for Peyton Manning. ... I guess they're going to have to take that ball that they sent to the Hall of Fame back," Phillips said jokingly. "I feel bad for Peyton celebrating breaking the record and it really didn't happen."

I don't understand his reason for doing this, as it made no difference in the outcome of their game and the Texans season was over long ago. It was pretty small of Phillips to do this, IMO. I guess he had a problem with the Broncos piling on in the 4th quarter of a game that was already out of hand? Only reason I can think of.

Bill M

Wade Phillips (Texans interim coach) sent the film of Peyton Manning's 50th TD pass to the league for review and the league has confirmed that it shouldn't have been a completion. Phillips then made a point to tell the media about it and sounded almost gleeful to get it out there.

Decker's catch was reviewed during the game and upheld, giving the Broncos a 30-13 lead with 6:57 left in the game. Phillips asked the NFL for clarification this week as he maintained Decker was juggling the ball.

"We did get some good news. Actually, it's bad news for Peyton Manning. ... I guess they're going to have to take that ball that they sent to the Hall of Fame back," Phillips said jokingly. "I feel bad for Peyton celebrating breaking the record and it really didn't happen."

I don't understand his reason for doing this, as it made no difference in the outcome of their game and the Texans season was over long ago. It was pretty small of Phillips to do this, IMO. I guess he had a problem with the Broncos piling on in the 4th quarter of a game that was already out of hand? Only reason I can think of.

This is all you need to know about Wade Phillips.  The Curse of Flutie!

http://www.coldhardfootballfacts.com/content/biblical-judgment-settled-science-complete-unabridged-guide-to-the-curse-doug-flutie/27698/

Scott

My Swing Thread

Quote:

Originally Posted by phan52

This is all you need to know about Wade Phillips.  The Curse of Flutie!

http://www.coldhardfootballfacts.com/content/biblical-judgment-settled-science-complete-unabridged-guide-to-the-curse-doug-flutie/27698/

I didn't read that whole diatribe, but it didn't appear that he even mentioned that Phillips was defensive coordinator, and later head coach of the Denver Broncos in '93 and '94, then fired essentially for being pretty incompetent.  By that reckoning, he was already cursed long before he joined the Bills.  He has a fairly consistent body of mediocre to poor coaching.   I don't really understand how he keeps getting hired back.  Must be a belief that he will somehow find a piece of his father (Houston coach Bum Phillips) somewhere deep inside.  I think that heredity has skipped a generation in his case.

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

I do think more refs is the best way to fix some of the issues the nfl is now facing with bad calls. The game is just getting so fast with so much emphasis on passing. I have a hard time watching everything in my sons 5 year old flag football league. I can't imagine doing it at nfl speed.

Jeff

• Administrator

Congratulations to the Chargers for securing the final spot in the AFC playoffs. I just saw that the Chiefs were sitting at least eight starters, including at least four Pro Bowl players.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Congratulations to the Chargers for securing the final spot in the AFC playoffs. I just saw that the Chiefs were sitting at least eight starters, including at least four Pro Bowl players.

Well within their right as their playoff spot is clinched - but history shows it to be a mistake.

Eli's first super bowl victory was fueled by the G-men playing hard in a meaningless game (for them) against a 15-0 belicheat coached team.

The Colts probably would have been more of a force during Peytons prime if they didnt clinch their division so early each year and rest players the last 2 weeks (when coupled with a first round bye - leaving a 3 week vacation)

Follow me on twitter

Chris, although my friends call me Mr.L

Quote:

Originally Posted by iacas

Well within their right as their playoff spot is clinched - but history shows it to be a mistake.

Eli's first super bowl victory was fueled by the G-men playing hard in a meaningless game (for them) against a 15-0 belicheat coached team.

The Colts probably would have been more of a force during Peytons prime if they didnt clinch their division so early each year and rest players the last 2 weeks (when coupled with a first round bye - leaving a 3 week vacation)

I hear what you're saying. Mathematically it was meaningless in that the outcome did not effect playoff seeding at all; however, obviously you've seen in interviews how all the Giants players talk about how that game was a major confidence builder for them. They realized they could play with anyone after almost upsetting NE.

Also, I think the entire league and fans alike would have thought less of the Giants had they not tried to stop 16-0 from happening.

And ultimately, the experience of that game played hugely into their favor when those teams met again in the Super Bowl.

As for the Chiefs, they're only taking a one week vacation. I agree, the Colts made a major mistake resting guys for three weeks. That was so stupid. In the Chiefs case though, I think it's fair game to sit your guys to get them back to full health and avoid injury. Eric Fisher got hurt today, for example. I think eventually a team will come along who rests their guys and ends up winning a Super Bowl.

Still though, ultimately, I don't see KC winning obviously -- resting guys or not. Alex Smith just isn't going to be a Super Bowl winning starting QB. There's probably less than a 5% chance of that ever happening.

In other news, I'm shocked the Jets won 8 games this year. Rex Ryan could really use an offense to work with one of these years. And I'm also glad they ended Miami's season today. A small consolation prize for yet another difficult year for the fan base.

Constantine

Erik, shut up!! I know you're just trying to jinx them so you're danged steelers can sneak in there! (They're playing like complete poop right now - the defense at least). Against almost all backups!! wtf chargers!?!?!?!

Meaningless games put a coach in a bind. Play the starters and get labled a moron if one of them gets hurt, or rest them and get blasted for letting them get flat and go into the playoffs on a down note. The part I hate worst in pro football is when the game is meaningless for one team but not the other team or teams. In baseball the old school unwritten rule was to still try to win games if the division is clinched but playing a team that can still determine another playoff spot...But the injury risk isn't what it is in football. P.S. I agree the Chiefs are going nowhere in the playoffs anyway.

• Administrator

:whistle:

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

These guys are killing me! EDIT: Phew! They made it! Of course, it took a miracle last weekend which included a narrow OT win over the Chiefs backups, so I don't know how they're gonna fare better next week, but hey ... It's a win. Playoffs baby!!!! ;)

• Administrator

These guys are killing me!

See? I was right in congratulating them earlier.

1. **** Andy Reid. And holy hell is he huge these days.
  2. **** Succop.
  3. **** the refs for not even reviewing the fumble in OT - for the spot OR when he fumbled.
  4. **** the Steelers. Their 8-8 season means they won't do what they desperately need to do - clean house in many areas.

These guys are killing me! EDIT: Phew! They made it! Of course, it took a miracle last weekend which included a narrow OT win over the Chiefs backups, so I don't know how they're gonna fare better next week, but hey ... It's a win. Playoffs baby!!!! ;)

CBS cut to it after the Patriots/Bills game ended. I was rooting for a tie just because ties are fun. I am glad it isn't Baltimore. Even after last week, Joe Flacco could play QB in a wheelchair and still scare the shit out of me.

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

• Administrator
I am glad it isn't Baltimore. Even after last week, Joe Flacco could play QB in a wheelchair and still scare the shit out of me.

Joe Flacco scares you? He sucks. Seriously, seriously sucks.

Note: This thread is 3793 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!