IGNORED

Why does Tiger HAVE to hit the cut?

Nutter
Note: This thread is 3806 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I don't know if any of you have noticed this, but Tiger has been dead set on hitting a cut from the tee and long par 3's this year, and to be honest he's not that good at it.  I saw his second round last night and I watched him try to hit the same shot off numerous tees (with long irons and woods) and do the same thing every time, either hit a dead pull or fan it right.  There was even one hole where you had to hit it through a shoot between two trees and even then he hit it 5 yards from the tree on the left and tried to cut it back in (ended up in the right rough), while Duff plows one right through it.  Now don't get me wrong he's had a great year but I know one area he struggles is off the tee.  I just don't get why he tries to play this shot over and over, it's like he's lost his creativity and is trying to go straight mechanical.  Anyone have any insights I don't know about?

I wouldn't say he's bad at it, some weeks he's just not as good. I mean he's won 5 tournaments hitting cuts so he can't be that bad. I do agree that he should work more on different shots and be a little more creative, its stupid to try to hit a cut into a left pin. I mean he used to hit low draws all the time, now he rarely does it if ever.

FT Optiforce 440 Diamana S+, Nike covert tour Kuro Kage, Mizuno MP54 4-PW, Vokey SM5 52 56 60, Odyssey White Ice #2

I'm with you, he's had a good year even though I don't think it's player of the year worthy. I'm just curious as to why he continues to play the same shot when he starts struggling with it like he has in the tour championship.  I mean, even I would be upset if I hit as few fairways as he has.

I feel like Tiger's cut misses left slightly on those type of shots more often. It seems like he just sets up very open and then the ball does not cut enough. I have often wondered if he would not be better served settig up a little less open. With five wins, I don't know if I would worry about it though. It is his stock shot now though, that is why he hits it.

Nate

:pxg:(10.5) :benhogan:(4W):titleist:U500(3UI) :benhogan: Icon(4-PW) :edel:(52/58)

:odyssey:Putter :snell: MTB Black  

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Wouldn't a push fade be higher and land softer?  For par 3 holes with firm greens, a high shot would be preferred.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

Wouldn't a push fade be higher and land softer?  For par 3 holes with firm greens, a high shot would be preferred.

Verses a low draw, but not always...I believe.  A high draw can stop very quickly as well.  He is just most comfortable with that shot now.

Nate

:pxg:(10.5) :benhogan:(4W):titleist:U500(3UI) :benhogan: Icon(4-PW) :edel:(52/58)

:odyssey:Putter :snell: MTB Black  

I don't know if any of you have noticed this, but Tiger has been dead set on hitting a cut from the tee and long par 3's this year, and to be honest he's not that good at it.  I saw his second round last night and I watched him try to hit the same shot off numerous tees (with long irons and woods) and do the same thing every time, either hit a dead pull or fan it right.  There was even one hole where you had to hit it through a shoot between two trees and even then he hit it 5 yards from the tree on the left and tried to cut it back in (ended up in the right rough), while Duff plows one right through it.  Now don't get me wrong he's had a great year but I know one area he struggles is off the tee.  I just don't get why he tries to play this shot over and over, it's like he's lost his creativity and is trying to go straight mechanical.  Anyone have any insights I don't know about?

It's a good question and one I've had myself.  Tiger can hit draws but seems to try and play a cut most of the time.  Based on a little bit of what I know , Foley saw him swinging too far out to the right so got him to swing more left to find a happy medium.  Tiger would keep the shoulders closed too long as he transferred forward.  Tiger hates feeling "stuck" and maybe swinging more left feels better.  Foley came into the situation when Tiger's swing was BAD.  So part of what Foley has done is give Tiger a pattern so he can play golf and win again.  This "swing left" pattern hasn't helped his short iron/wedge game though.

Some speculation on my part: Kind of see it as a short term fix that isn't great for his back.  Aim left, swing left with a high right shoulder isn't good for the lumbar spine.

I was always of the belief that a high fade lands like a butterfly with sore feet. Nothing else comes close.

Don't want to turn this into a draws vs fades thread, we already have those.  High draws work pretty good

:-)

http://thesandtrap.com/t/33327/more-incorrect-stuff-draw-vs-fade

• Upvote 3

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

It's a good question and one I've had myself.  Tiger can hit draws but seems to try and play a cut most of the time.  Based on a little bit of what I know, Foley saw him swinging too far out to the right so got him to swing more left to find a happy medium.  Tiger would keep the shoulders closed too long as he transferred forward.  Tiger hates feeling "stuck" and maybe swinging more left feels better.  Foley came into the situation when Tiger's swing was BAD.  So part of what Foley has done is give Tiger a pattern so he can play golf and win again.  This "swing left" pattern hasn't helped his short iron/wedge game though.

Some speculation on my part: Kind of see it as a short term fix that isn't great for his back.  Aim left, swing left with a high right shoulder isn't good for the lumbar spine.

Don't want to turn this into a draws vs fades thread, we already have those.  High draws work pretty good

http://thesandtrap.com/t/33327/more-incorrect-stuff-draw-vs-fade

All good points, I haven't looked at it as more of a temporary fix to a bad situation.  This would definitely hurt him in majors though, I think his attitude with his current approach to the game is "I can make this shot work enough to hopefully win" instead of "I can hit any shot I want and I will win".

And yea Dave, he's a freak of nature, but there's no way he can do it forever.  It's speaks to how amazing the spine is that it can even allow his swing to happen/

Does anyone think he would be that much better off hitting a draw?.

I'd think he'd be better off shallowing his angle of attack.  Whatever way he wants to curve it doesn't really matter.  Foley has done a great job with Justin Rose, think Tiger should be watching a lot of his swings ;-)

Mike McLoughlin

i have been saying that he should be playing a draw for a while now.  He obviously isn't consistent enough with the cut and sometimes yanks it left or just over cooks it and hits a banana ball.  His natural swing right now would be a baby draw.  STOP WITH THE DAMN CUT ALREADY!

• Upvote 1

Rose does have a nice swing but I guarantee you tiger isn't looking at anyone elses swing especially when he's own the guy for most of his career.

Rose does have a nice swing but I guarantee you tiger isn't looking at anyone elses swing especially when he's own the guy for most of his career.

Just sharing my opinion.  Seems like Tiger is always "fighting" his swing, feel his next stage of improvement would involve doing a few things similar to what Rose does.

Mike McLoughlin

I agree 100% with you but I don't think athletes at tiger's level don't look at other competitors swings and think I want to look like that. I'm sure MJ didn't watch tape of Bird shooting free throws when he was struggling.

Golf swing and golf score are not always closely correlated. Tiger has intangibles that Justin Rose will probably never have, a better putting stroke, mentally tougher, but Tiger can certainly benefit from watching his swing.

Michael

Note: This thread is 3806 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!