IGNORED

My Swing (RFKFREAK)

RFKFREAK

2 minutes ago, iacas said:

In trying to flatten you’ve gone flat early. So then you steepen in transition, and try to flatten again late.

Should i try not to flatten on the backswing?

Christian

:tmade::titleist:  :leupold:  :aimpoint: :gamegolf:

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Based on the last lesson from my coach on Evolvr (from October of last year) today I focused on having the clubhead bisect my hands at A2 and also trying not to bring the club too far back at A4 so as to not cross the line. 

Christian

Even though a straight left arm at the top of the backswing isn't some super important trait; I think too much bend can be indicative of the arm collapsing a little bit at the top which I see a bit of. The other thing I notice, which I'm actually not sure of at all if it's bad but my guess is that it would be, is look at your club head from just before the top of the backswing to just after the start of the downswing. It makes this circular motion at the top where it moves inwards first steepening the club THEN begins the normal path where the club then begins to shallow out and moves out and down.

I think the two are related. Fix the slight collapse of the arm at the top and you probably fix the irregular movement of the club head at the top of the backswing / beginning of the downswing.

11 hours ago, Grizvok said:

Even though a straight left arm at the top of the backswing isn't some super important trait; I think too much bend can be indicative of the arm collapsing a little bit at the top which I see a bit of. The other thing I notice, which I'm actually not sure of at all if it's bad but my guess is that it would be, is look at your club head from just before the top of the backswing to just after the start of the downswing. It makes this circular motion at the top where it moves inwards first steepening the club THEN begins the normal path where the club then begins to shallow out and moves out and down.

I think the two are related. Fix the slight collapse of the arm at the top and you probably fix the irregular movement of the club head at the top of the backswing / beginning of the downswing.

Yeah, it crosses the line.  I'm trying to fix that, although I think some of the issues can be fixed by shortening the backswing.

Thanks for your input

Christian

14 hours ago, RFKFREAK said:

Based on the last lesson from my coach on Evolvr (from October of last year) today I focused on having the clubhead bisect my hands at A2 and also trying not to bring the club too far back at A4 so as to not cross the line. 

This looks better than the swing you posted last week. Look at the difference in shaft angles at A5 in the DTL views.

I suggest you stick with that before you move onto anything else and take on too much at a time.

What's your current miss?

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

13 minutes ago, RFKFREAK said:

Yeah, it crosses the line.  I'm trying to fix that, although I think some of the issues can be fixed by shortening the backswing.

Thanks for your input

I totally agree. Just shorten up the backswing a little bit and you shouldn't run into that problem. It's really only the last few inches of the backswing that are causing the slight collapse.

• Thumbs Up 1

(edited)
8 minutes ago, billchao said:

This looks better than the swing you posted last week. Look at the difference in shaft angles at A5 in the DTL views.

I suggest you stick with that before you move onto anything else and take on too much at a time.

What's your current miss?

Do you mean post 233 or 236?

Yeah, I think I'm going to just keep working on shortening the backswing.  I felt by the end of yesterday's session that my clubhead was bisecting my hands at A2 pretty regularly.

Current miss is usually to the left.

Edited by RFKFREAK

Christian

55 minutes ago, RFKFREAK said:

Do you mean post 233 or 236?

236. 237 is better than 236. 236 you're steeper at transition.

56 minutes ago, RFKFREAK said:

Current miss is usually to the left.

Is it a pull or does your ball draw too much?

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

3 minutes ago, billchao said:

236. 237 is better than 236. 236 you're steeper at transition.

Is it a pull or does your ball draw too much?

It's usually a straight pull. 

Christian

I think fixing the issue you mentioned at A4 should provide you with some better clubface control.

16 minutes ago, Grizvok said:

I think fixing the issue you mentioned at A4 should provide you with some better clubface control.

Yeah, I'm going to see if I can find a drill or something to signal me that I've gone far enough because I don't really have a feel as to when to stop, even with the camera.

Christian

So, went to the range again today after work and on most occasions I was close to having the clubhead bisect my hands at A2 but I feel like I still have work to do in shortening my backswing.  However, @Grizvok, I think I kept my lead arm straighter as I also was concentrating on that piece.  One solid takeaway is that I was hitting the sweet spot on my iron far more often than I feel I normally do when hitting balls so I think that's a plus.  Anyway, here are the last two swings of today's practice session.

Christian

I'm not sure what the evolver process is for you at the moment, I am sure they will cover some of this. Some transfer of weight and a flat left wrist would help you keep the face at the target longer. I'm sure your flip may have been discussed prior but coming from outside and turning the wrist over is probably causing the straight pull. Plenty of people can play a flip if it is consistent and on plane. Left arm is better here though. 

"My ball is on top of a rock in the hazard, do I get some sort of relief?"

16 minutes ago, Valleygolfer said:

I'm not sure what the evolver process is for you at the moment, I am sure they will cover some of this. Some transfer of weight and a flat left wrist would help you keep the face at the target longer. I'm sure your flip may have been discussed prior but coming from outside and turning the wrist over is probably causing the straight pull. Plenty of people can play a flip if it is consistent and on plane. Left arm is better here though. 

I think this is some really good info here. I think the weight transfer is pretty decent, but I definitely agree about the flat wrist. Also agree that the left arm is a bit better here as well.

One other thing I would take a look at is @iacas thread about the swing feel of maintaining a straighter RIGHT arm. I think this feel could help in shortening the backswing and because of it actually help deter the slight collapse of the left arm. Of course you aren't going to keep anything close to a straight right arm but it's a feel that might help you out.

• Informative 1

11 hours ago, Valleygolfer said:

Unfortunately, there seems to be some technical issues with signing up for Evolvr at the moment so I'm going based on my last lesson in October which I feel is appropriate since I haven't had much time for golf from then until recently  At the time we were focusing on the clubhead bisecting my hands from DTL view at A2 and also tightening up the backswing by now having the club cross the line at A4.  Whereas in the past I've focused on a flat left wrist, the layoff hasn't helped in having that ingrained and from the video it appears I have to consciously think about it to make sure I keep it flat or bowed.  I don't want to really to concentrate on too much more because I feel it'd be more a hindrance than a help. 

11 hours ago, Grizvok said:

I think this is some really good info here. I think the weight transfer is pretty decent, but I definitely agree about the flat wrist. Also agree that the left arm is a bit better here as well.

One other thing I would take a look at is @iacas thread about the swing feel of maintaining a straighter RIGHT arm. I think this feel could help in shortening the backswing and because of it actually help deter the slight collapse of the left arm. Of course you aren't going to keep anything close to a straight right arm but it's a feel that might help you out.

Thanks for the link to the thread.  I don't believe I've seen it before and will take a read!

Christian

(edited)

These were my last four swings from today's session on the range, two with the 6I and two with the Driver.

A few takeaways. 

1. These last 2 6 iron swings were the best of the session.  I was making inconsistent contact with fat shots, thin shots, and balls going all over the place.  I think I got into my head too much as I tried to fix what I thought were issues rather than just concentrate on the pieces I wanted to focus us which are clubhead at A2, A4, and a flat left wrist.  I revered to trying to hit the ball as hard as possible instead of making smooth swings.
  2. By the end of the session I felt I had gotten clear head so at least I was able to make what I think were probably my best swings at the end of the session.
  3. I think I try too hard to have the clubhead bisect my hands at A2 and therefore make perfect the enemy of the good.  I think if I'm close its ok.
  4. I'm not exactly where I want to be at A4 but I think it's getting better.  

Edited by RFKFREAK
Links to videos didn't embed.

Christian

9 hours ago, RFKFREAK said:

These were my last four swings from today's session on the range, two with the 6I and two with the Driver.

A few takeaways. 

1. These last 2 6 iron swings were the best of the session.  I was making inconsistent contact with fat shots, thin shots, and balls going all over the place.  I think I got into my head too much as I tried to fix what I thought were issues rather than just concentrate on the pieces I wanted to focus us which are clubhead at A2, A4, and a flat left wrist.  I revered to trying to hit the ball as hard as possible instead of making smooth swings.
  2. By the end of the session I felt I had gotten clear head so at least I was able to make what I think were probably my best swings at the end of the session.
  3. I think I try too hard to have the clubhead bisect my hands at A2 and therefore make perfect the enemy of the good.  I think if I'm close its ok.
  4. I'm not exactly where I want to be at A4 but I think it's getting better.  

Iron swing looks much better, still a bit of a flip. Driver swing has a lot of head movement from probably trying to turn more. When I do this, there is a fine line between hitting the ball and topping it. Distance suffers considerably as well. 

"My ball is on top of a rock in the hazard, do I get some sort of relief?"