IGNORED

My Swing (RFKFREAK)

RFKFREAK

Would recommend you flare out both feet a little more and turn the knees out to help with the pivot.  Your knees are rotated inward, left knee collapses inward and limits the amount you can turn on the backswing.  Also makes it harder to get the weight forward at impact.  Right pic: knees are neutral here, might feel "bowed out".  Both feet are turned out about 20*.  Allows you to utilize the proper linkage of the knees to create a dynamic hip turn and transfer more weight forward on the downswing.

Instead of the left knee kicking in so much it will feel like the knee flexes over the left ankle.  Be able to "press" into the ground more.

I focused on the left knee tonight and oh boy did it feel awkward which obviously is expected since it's not what I normally do and boy did I feel like I wasn't hitting the ball well with a full swing - haha.

I didn't record it because it's night time and had no one to record me but hopefully the swing will feel better after doing it a few nights after work.

Christian

:tmade::titleist:  :leupold:  :aimpoint: :gamegolf:

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• 1 month later...
For the first time in what feels like months I was able to practice outside and uploaded a few vids. Please excuse the crudeness of them. [VIDEO]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hLMHD52Wyhg[/VIDEO] [VIDEO]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xRqR70xQc9Q[/VIDEO]

Christian

• Administrator
Total score of 1 which, if I'm reading the graph correctly, would put my handicap at 18. Considering right now my index is at 33.9, and a person that has a total score of 0 would be at 30, I'm probably inflating my numbers. That said, anyone who wants to check out my latest video in my swing thread can certainly let me know if they think my numbers are off.

Yeah, a bit off.

A good video for you:

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

[QUOTE name="RFKFREAK" url="/t/67014/keys-vs-handicap-share-your-data/18#post_954646"] Total score of 1 which, if I'm reading the graph correctly, would put my handicap at 18. Considering right now my index is at 33.9, and a person that has a total score of 0 would be at 30, I'm probably inflating my numbers. That said, anyone who wants to check out my latest video in my swing thread can certainly let me know if they think my numbers are off.[/QUOTE] Yeah, a bit off. A good video for you:

So, would you say my score should be 0 then?

Christian

Haha, thanks!

Ya know, when I posted these videos, I didn't think the immediate feedback was going to be to stand closer to the net.

Ha ha! That reminds me of a day last year when I went up to the cart shed and the course owner (and very good player) was hitting some balls into a little net he had mounted up on the wall about 30 feet from where his mat was.

The net was only about a 3 foot circle.

He wanted me to hit a few balls into the net with his new driver... :bugout: I just laughed and told him he really didn't want me to do that unless he wanted to replace the wall.

• Administrator
So, would you say my score should be 0 then?

No. But it would be close to rounding down to zero, I guess. :)

The chart/graph isn't 100% accurate. They're averages, not definitive points. There will be exceptions. You could achieve Key #1 but so spectacularly fail at the others that you are still a 27 handicap. Or have the yips, or whatever.

But Key #1 is your priority right now, and doing so not to keep your head steady but to do it while achieving a good "pivot."

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

[QUOTE name="RFKFREAK" url="/t/70159/my-swing-rfkfreak/36#post_954766"] So, would you say my score should be 0 then?[/QUOTE] No. But it would be close to rounding down to zero, I guess. :) The chart/graph isn't 100% accurate. They're averages, not definitive points. There will be exceptions. You could achieve Key #1 but so spectacularly fail at the others that you are still a 27 handicap. Or have the yips, or whatever. But Key #1 is your priority right now, and doing so not to keep your head steady but to do it while achieving a good "pivot."

Thanks. I have been practicing the rotation on my backswing but don't feel comfortable turning my torso 90*. I think I go around 80*. Not sure if it's because I might not be flexible enough to go 90* yet or if it's because my body won't do it. Next time I practice outdoors I'll take a vid and try and compare the video above to the new one and post it. Thanks again.

Christian

Thanks. I have been practicing the rotation on my backswing but don't feel comfortable turning my torso 90*. I think I go around 80*. Not sure if it's because I might not be flexible enough to go 90* yet or if it's because my body won't do it.

Next time I practice outdoors I'll take a vid and try and compare the video above to the new one and post it.

Thanks again.

After looking at your swing, think one thing that will help the turning rates is to slow the pace of the backswing. Your backswing kind of "flashes" back, don't really give your pivot enough time.

Enough though this video is slow, try to FEEL like you copy this backswing pace. Turn MORE early but at a slower pace. Not a slow pace, just slower than the one you have now ;-)

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

After looking at your swing, think one thing that will help the turning rates is to slow the pace of the backswing. Your backswing kind of "flashes" back, don't really give your pivot enough time.

Enough though this video is slow, try to FEEL like you copy this backswing pace. Turn MORE early but at a slower pace. Not a slow pace, just slower than the one you have now

Defiantly work on this! I feelt as though it was a bit rushed when I watched it aswell

Quote:

Originally Posted by mvmac

Enough though this video is slow, try to FEEL like you copy this backswing pace. Turn MORE early but at a slower pace. Not a slow pace, just slower than the one you have now

Defiantly work on this! I feelt as though it was a bit rushed when I watched it aswell

Yeah, I guess I feel like I'm going at a good pace but now that you point it out, it looks like I'm trying to complete the swing as fast as possible.

Christian

• 2 weeks later...

A couple of vids from today.  I didn't realize that by positioning the camera where I did that the sun would make it difficult to see things so I apologize for that.  Today was windy and whereas when I took the FO video, the wind hadn't kicked up, by the time I took the DTL video, I literally had to put my net up 20 times b/c the wind knocked it over and I felt a bit rushed in taking the video.

After I took the video, I went to the range and the first 3 balls I hit were with my 6 iron and they weren't terrible, at least for me. But after that, I just could not get any rhythm going with my 6 iron and felt completely discombobulated and the ball was going all over the place after I hit it. I then decided to hit some balls with my driver and that resulted in feeling more discombobulated and hitting balls all over the face and balls going 100 yards, 150 yards, left, right, popped up, topped, shanked. If it was bad, it happened.

I've been focusing on my upper body rotation.  However, I'm feeling frustrated that I feel discombobulated and seem to be hitting the ball worse than I used to. That said, I know that since I'm doing a swing change, that will happen so I'm trying to remain optimistic.

Any feedback would be much appreciated.  I apologize for the vids and don't mind the car behind the net in the DTL video as I was trying to block the wind so the net wouldn't fall down.

Christian

• 4 weeks later...

A couple of videos from yesterday.

Been concentrating on my backswing and hoping to get some feedback.

Oh, and I need a haircut.

Christian

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Working on Key #1 and am finding my front shoulder nudging my head back.  Wondering if anyone has any tips so as to avoid this as it feels when I do a steeper shoulder turn, the plane of my swing gets too flat.

Christian

I think Key #1 is okay, would recommend working more on Key 2, this piece.

Note all the weight on the right foot.

Good drill/feel to implement. Would recommend doing slow swings at home where you feel like you "press" into the left foot and keep pushing the hips up and forward. Want to get all the weight onto the left foot in the followthrough.

Another good drill

Mike McLoughlin

Thanks, @mvmac !

Do you think my shoulder nudging my head will work itself out if I do a steeper shoulder turn?

Also, since the head of the club is on the upslope, do you recommend weight forward when hitting off the tee with a driver or wood?

Christian

Thanks, @mvmac!

Do you think my shoulder nudging my head will work itself out if I do a steeper shoulder turn?

Also, since the head of the club is on the upslope, do you recommend weight forward when hitting off the tee with a driver or wood?

Yes on both accounts. On the takeaway your right leg decreases flex at too fast a rate and you kind of "load" into your left side. So you crank in the rotation piece without giving yourself enough time for the shoulder to work down. I'll put something together for you today.

On the downswing, if the weight doesn't get forward, the hands/club will tend to swing down and across. Imagine throwing a sandbag over a wall, what guy is going to get the bag over the wall?

Mike McLoughlin