IGNORED

The Films and Movies Thread

iacas

Never in my lifetime would I ever have thunk there would be a live action version of the classic anime, Ghost in the Shell, and Juliet Binoche is in it. Hope it's no like Godzilla where poof, she's gone in a second.

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• Administrator
23 hours ago, nevets88 said:

I thought they touched on math is the universal language in the helicopter in Louise's and Ian's first conversation when Ian said science, not language, is the foundation and then when later in a video conference call with UK about

Reveal hidden contents

I disagree. Counting is a basic thing, and math is universal. They've figured out how to get to earth, figured out how to break the fabric of space time, etc. and they don't get counting or whatever else they said? Doesn't make sense.

Yeah, could have done more with the associating symbols with meaning part, in the story, it was much more detailed, but filmmakers probably thought it would be too much for the audience.

I think it would have been fine. Just do that stuff instead of their names if you must… would take up a similar amount of time.

able to construct faster than light spaceships?), but I enjoyed the life affirming message,

I don't know. She saw the future, but saw that her husband was going to leave her because she chose to have a kid who would die of a horrible disease? If she knew that she could have talked to him about it.

Too many holes, too many stupid things… just too points that didn't make sense. I'll stand by my bogey/par.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Please be good, La La Land, please be good, please be good... This generation's Singin' in the Rain (eagle) is a lot to live up to.

Screen Shot 2016-11-17 at 11.48.26 AM.pngScreen Shot 2016-11-17 at 11.52.14 AM.pngScreen Shot 2016-11-17 at 11.52.32 AM.pngScreen Shot 2016-11-17 at 11.52.56 AM.png

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

Kong: Skull Island trailer - what a cast.

Steve

We watched "Eye In the Sky" last night. Good acting and a believable story line even though I suspect there was some Hollywood exaggeration on the technology. I thought the movie did a good job of portraying what I can only imagine goes on with decision-making between the military and politicians.

What's not hard to imagine is how much life must really sucks for those living in a war zone.

Jon

La La Land featurette. Some new coverage if you're afraid of spoilers. The latest reviews are all raves. Will this movie explode? MUSICALS MUSICALS MUSICALS!!! Have watched the trailer a dozen times already. The two songs in them are very catchy.

Steve

La La Land! La La Land! La La Land! La La Land! La La Land! La La Land! La La Land! La La Land! La La Land! La La Land! La La Land! La La Land! La La Land! La La Land! La La Land! La La Land! La La Land! La La Land! La La Land! La La Land! La La Land! La La Land! 

Steve

I saw the promo for Manchester by the Sea. It looks promising. But for those who don't live in Mass, a little background on the name of the town. It used to be just Manchester. But, being an exceedingly pretentious town, they changed there name a while back to Manchester by the Sea. They said it was because people got it confused with Manchester, NH, but puhleeeze. The NH version is the largest city in NH at over 100,000 people, it is the middle of the State and is quite a distance from Pretentious by the Sea, about 60 miles. Salem, MA and Salem, NH are much closer together and no one gets them mixed up.

This town basically had a welcome sign that says, "Welcome to Manchester by the Sea, Now Leave". We used to try and scuba dive there. They made a law that you couldn't take scuba tanks out of a parked car, so we would open the trunk, and drive really slowly while taking the tanks out. Suck it Snobs!

Since then they have regretted the decision. We would jokingly call ever town on the water, -by-the-sea. 

Today, many locals regret the decision, fearing it makes a town that already had a snobby reputation sound even snobbier. Many outsiders agree with this assessment, particularly its neighbors in Beverly, Essex, and Gloucester, all towns by the sea that have turned “by-the-Sea” ridicule into high art. (A common retort is to call its Cape Ann neighbor Gloucester-by-the-Smell, but many in that famous fishing community quite like that nickname.)

The overwhelming majority of residents simply say they simply live in “Manchester,” like Jeremy McElwain, a local realtor who described the full name as “pretentious, too wordy, almost silly.” But, he said, there are two problems with saying “Manchester.” One is that a lot of people think Manchester and Manchester-by-the-Sea are two different places. The other is that you’re setting yourself up for contempt from those who know they aren’t.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

Thoughts on thoughtful Hans Zimmer. At 07:00 when Williams' and Zimmer's are played back to back... chills.

Steve

More La La Land scenes from an international trailer. I'm looking forward to this more than Rogue One.

Steve

Imperium starring Daniel Radcliffe. Birdie. Interesting movie about the FBI infiltrating White Supremacist groups. 

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

On 11/12/2016 at 7:43 PM, nevets88 said:

I thought they touched on math is the universal language in the helicopter in Louise's and Ian's first conversation when Ian said science, not language, is the foundation and then when later in a video conference call with UK about

Hide contents

them not being able to handle simple math concepts.

Yeah, could have done more with the associating symbols with meaning part, in the story, it was much more detailed, but filmmakers probably thought it would be too much for the audience. 

In every single time travel/time warping movie, if you try to unwrap how it works, you can't, because of the paradox inherent in time travel. It's just like Bruce Willis said in Looper, don't bother trying to figure it out.

Every movie has logical inconsistencies (how are those

Hide contents

giant things with clumsy tentacles

able to construct faster than light spaceships?), but I enjoyed the life affirming message,

Hide contents

the intermingling of language and time

and the slow pace and style of the movie as Hollywood is punching me in the face over and over again with quicker and quicker cuts and edits and jamming its movies with more and more characters and storylines - I enjoyed the director's previous films, Sicario, Prisoners and Enemy, so starting out biased.

I'd give Arrival an eagle, have seen it twice and the second viewing was even better. Max Richter's piece bookending the movie is a warm hearth in the dark of winter.

It'll be interesting to see how well it takes in Hong Kong after marketing's gaffe with photoshopping a Shanghai building into Hong Kong and then taking out HK altogether.

This movie isn't for everyone, I can see it having its fair share of vehement detractors, but if you like Denis Villeneuve or movies like Another Earth or Perfect Sense, you'll probably enjoy this. Will be interesting to see what he does with Blade Runner.

I agree with everything you said. I loved it. Eagle all day long. I also LOVED After Earth, and I just put Perfect Sense in my queue.

Colin P.

38 minutes ago, colin007 said:

I agree with everything you said. I loved it. Eagle all day long. I also LOVED After Earth, and I just put Perfect Sense in my queue.

Perfect Sense is one of my favorites. If you're an Eva Green fan, you'll like it even more. She must have a show my private parts clause in her contract, which is fine by me. 

Steve

10 minutes ago, nevets88 said:

Perfect Sense is one of my favorites. If you're an Eva Green fan, you'll like it even more. She must have a show my private parts clause in her contract, which is fine by me. 

Show your private parts? Umm, no thanks....oooh, you mean show HER privates! Ok, then I'm on board....lol lol lol :beer:

Colin P.

TWO MORE DAYS TO LA LA LAND! More trailers!

I GOT THE BULLETS!

Steve

Saw 'Arrival' when it came out. Really, really liked it. Would recommend.

I also went and saw 'Fantastic Beats and Where to Find Them', which could've been a really, really good movie, if it hadn't had to set up future films. The stand-alone stuff was really interesting, I think. 

Hunter Bishop

"i was an aspirant once of becoming a flamenco guitarist, but i had an accident with my fingers"

My Bag

Titleist TSI3 | TaylorMade Sim 2 Max 3 Wood | 5 Wood | Edel 3-PW | 52° | 60° | Blade Putter

Best film of all time is Pulp Fiction, 2nd Train Spotting, 3rd Schindlers List. Unfortunately 99 out of a 100 films now made are terrible, but I just watched Sully which was brilliant. Tom Hanks is capable of making any film brilliant.

In my bag (Motocaddy Light)

Taylormade Burner driver, Taylormade 4 wood, 3 x Ping Karsten Hybrids, 6-SW Ping Karsten irons with reg flex graphite shafts. Odyssey putter, 20 Bridgestone e6 balls, 2 water balls for the 5th hole, loads of tees, 2 golf gloves, a couple of hand warmers, cleaning towel, 5 ball markers, 2 pitch mark repairers, some aspirin, 3 hats, set of waterproofs, an umbrella, a pair of gaiters, 2 pairs of glasses. Christ, it's amazing I can pick the bloody thing up !!