IGNORED

New scheduling rule for PGA Tour players (idea)

tmac20
Note: This thread is 3814 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

1. 1. Would you like to see this rule enforced?

• Yes.
    • No.

Greetings .... Have now realized that in my previous I failed to give special mention to David Duval. Apart from any other golfer, Duval, if for only a brief time, had his own special kind of "Right Stuff". He won the 1999 Players Championship and 10 other PGA Tour events within a two-year period from October 1997 to October 1999, then later added two more wins, including the 2001 Open Championship at Royal Lytham & St. Annes. In addition, he was the 1998 Leading Money Winner, wrested the #1 Ranking from Tiger Woods at least twice, and had success in team competitions such as the Ryder Cup, Presidents Cup and World Cup. When Duval was on top of his game, he was a force to be reckoned with. When interviewed on David Feherty's Golf Channel show, Duval more or less said that he wanted to compete, wanted to win. I believe it is safe to say that he certainly had all the right motivations to have a phenomenally successful career, taking on all challengers, whoever they might have been. Unfortunately, as we all know, that intense desire quickly left Duval not long after his 2001 Open Championship win, and his career took a steep nosedive. Fortunately and most thankfully, his personal life has became a happy one, and he is at peace with himself.--but we are left wondering "what might have been!!". Thanx-A-Lot, Frank-0-Sport

Quote:

Originally Posted by RandallT

As a general rule, I'm for maximum liberty and minimal mandates. Anytime I hear about a new proposed rule that enforces some aspect of anyone's behavior or limits people's choices, I vote no. We have enough rules already, and need to get rid of many we already have.

Originally Posted by jamo

Like what?

I wasn't referring to golf, really. Just a snarky comment that the world keep adding more and more rules at every level: community homeowners, county, state, federal, workplace, etc. There are rules for just about every aspect of our lives, all put in place for good reasons. But at some point, we will look around and wonder what freedoms we have left.

For this proposed rule, my thought is: geez, at least allow professional golfers to retain the freedom to choose which tournaments to attend. They each have individual reasons for their many decisions, and that's fine.

My Swing

Driver: :ping: G30, Irons: :tmade: Burner 2.0, Putter: :cleveland:, Balls: :snell:

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

In terms of trying to incentivize guys to play in a bigger variety of tournaments here are a few ideas-

*Make 1 criteria of pension benefits the number of DIFFERENT tournaments you played in

*Set a minimum number of DIFFERENT tournaments that you must play in to become a Life Member.

:mizuno: MP-52 5-PW, :cobra: King Snake 4 i 
:tmade: R11 Driver, 3 W & 5 W, :vokey: 52, 56 & 60 wedges
:seemore: putter

• Administrator

In terms of trying to incentivize guys to play in a bigger variety of tournaments here are a few ideas-

*Make 1 criteria of pension benefits the number of DIFFERENT tournaments you played in

*Set a minimum number of DIFFERENT tournaments that you must play in to become a Life Member.

Neither of those things would matter to Tiger Woods or any of the other top ten players at any given moment, and that's really about all we're talking about - nobody cares if #76 on the money list of some given year plays in their tournament or not - they probably are.

Furthermore, the PGA Tour schedule is a little bit "survival of the fittest." The better events get the better players. Some events get a bum rap by being scheduled before a major (like the John Deere), and yet the John Deere may also not exist at all if it required the PGA Tour to give it a better spot. So in that sense it's happy with its spot - yet it still has to compete and has done so by doing things like offering to fly players and caddies for free to the UK on a chartered jet.

Additionally, the PGA Tour is largely a member-run event. If it's not in the best interests of the PGA Tour players themselves , it won't happen.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

I heard this idea from the sports radio host Bob McCown, and it's worth repeating here, because it's a great idea in my opinion.

In 3 seasons, PGA Tour players must play in each tournament at least once. For example, if Tiger Woods does not play in the Canadian Open in 2014 and 2015, he must play in 2016. All players must follow this rule, with exceptions made for injuries/personal issues. This would be beneficial to the tournaments that get bad fields such as the Fedex St. Jude and Frys.com open.

It seems like every year, good players such as Woods, Mickelson, Scott, and McIlroy only play in the tournaments that fit in their personal schedules. It seems unfair to the tournament sponsors who put up the same purses as the other events, only to get Hunter Mahan as their best player in the field (no offence to Mahan).

Would you like to see this scheduling rule enforced? Or are you fine with the current system, where players can play in whatever tournaments they want to?

A bad idea that the players will never go for. They have obligations to play in a certain amount already and that is enough. Plus, they would have a problem getting players who want to qualify for both the PGA Tour and the Euro Tour to go for that, and it would hurt participation in the Tour in general by Euro players.

They used to have a deal where they would designate one or two different tournaments a year as mandatory, but the World Golf Championships put an end to that.

Bill M

I know the PGA tour doesnt allow sponsors to pay apperance fees. But what would stop, say the Frys.com, from going to Tiger and saying here is 1 millions for doing just 2 things. 1. We get you for a few hours one day to shoot a 30 sec commercial and 2. You must come play in our event in the fall. To me that could be an easy way around not able to play players to show up. Or does the tour have a rule on this?

Driver: :tmade: R11S (9 degree)
Woods: :tmade: R11 3 (15.5 degree) & 5 (19 degree)
Irons: :tmade: R11 4-AW
Wedges: :tmade: ATV 54 & 60 degree
Putter: :scotty_cameron: 2012 Newport 2
Ball: :titleist: ProV1
Rangefinder: :bushnell: Tour V2

I know the PGA tour doesnt allow sponsors to pay apperance fees. But what would stop, say the Frys.com, from going to Tiger and saying here is 1 millions for doing just 2 things. 1. We get you for a few hours one day to shoot a 30 sec commercial and 2. You must come play in our event in the fall. To me that could be an easy way around not able to play players to show up. Or does the tour have a rule on this?

I think it needs to be more like 4 million

Note: This thread is 3814 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!