IGNORED

Ping Graphite Shafts Breaking?

cnl390
Note: This thread is 2553 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Has anyone had problems with Ping graphite shafts breaking?

I was hitting an approach shot with my 9i yesterday and the shaft broke at the hosel.  It was a good clean shot with little to no divot.

This is the second shaft I have had break (the other was my 5i) in the same set.  I know Ping's customer service is second to none so that is not problem.  But I am seriously considering going to steel.  But I do have a torn labrum in my left shoulder and am not sure if the slight extra weight & added impact will make a difference.

Ping G30 SF TEC
Ping G25 3w
Ping G Red Dot +1/4" irons - 6,7,8,9,W,U,SW, LW
Ping G30 3H
Ping G25 4H
Ping Scottdale TR B60
Callaway Supersoft

Early this year I bought a Ping G20 driver. On the very first round (17th hole) the shaft broke at the hosel. It was replaced free of charge by Ping.

I have many other Ping drivers and fairway woods and never had a problem.

My dad had a ping G15 and he hit is drive, then stood back to let his friend hit, and he placed the clubhead on the ground, and it snapped at the hosel. I mean very little pressure at all on the shaft. They sent him a new G20.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I've had no issues with my G20s, thank goodness, and I've put a good bit of mileage on 'em this year.

I think graphite shafts, being composites, will always be somewhat more prone to breakage than steel, but I won't be basing a graphite vs steel shaft decision on the likelihood of that sort of thing.

Driver: Titleist 913 D2 10.5*, Aldila RIP Phenom 50

Fairway 1: Titleist 913F, 17*, Titleist Bassara W55

Fairway 2: Titleist 913F, 21*, Titleist Bassara W55

Irons: Titleist AP1 714 5-PW, Aerotech Steelfiber i95

Wedges: SCOR 4161 48/52/56/60, Genius 9

Grips: GolfPride New Decade Red Mid-size on all of the above.

Putter: Scotty Cameron Newport 2 - Super Stroke Slim 3.0

To date this year I have found two drivers separated from their heads on the same golf course. Both were Knock-offs w/ graphite shafts, and they were clean breaks. Finding them kinda of got me worried but I was golfing at the time so I did not take notes...but I recall one was a Titleist Knock-off(counterfit). which I picked up the head and made a pen holder out of it. Within two-weeks of that I bought aTitleist 910  D3 driver with a Fujikura Motore F3 stiff shaft off eBay. After hitting a nice drive..the shaft near the hosel makes a "crackling" sound, like I have upset the fiber to resin ratio. Kind of funky though it only crackles when I really connect. I keep checking it and as long as it's doing the deed, I am not upset.

I find the Ping Thing unusual...Even when I played Knock-offs I have never had a shaft failure. I have played several sets of Pings and they were great, and as said before their customer service is grade "A"

I play G25 woods and hybrids, no issues at all. Had G15 before these, again never had a problem with Ping shafts. Good to know about their excellent customer service, though, if you ever do have an issue.

In my Sun Mountain 14 Way Stand Bag:

Driver - Ping G30 10.5* : Fairway - Ping G30 18* : Hybrids - Titleist 915H 21* & 915 H 24* : Irons - Mizuno JPX 850 Forged 5 - GW : Wedges, Vokey 54.14, Vokey 58.12 : Putter - Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2 or Ping Craz-E-R  : Ball - Bridgestone B330RX, Cart - Cliqgear 3.5

• 3 months later...

Funny you should mention breaking.  I was a local Practice Tee, using my G15 7 iron.  They are about 3 years old.  Never an issue.  Took a clean hit and the club head broke at the hosel. I will be taking the shaft and club head to Pings Phoenix facility next week to get their opinion.

clubs rattling around in golf bag and being ridden around in golf carts can slowly chip away at the clubs next to them- generally at the hosel, especially graphite. We have probably all seen a bag of clubs fall over or worse as a joke off the back of the cart  this usually starts a fracture of dent in the steel shaft. These very same clubs  that are then hit off of the matts at ranges can further weaken them.  Although this is not exclusive to ping, it can happen to any club.

I have seen some players ( not pros) take an incredible steep swing, burying the head way behind the ball in a violent manner, well something has to give.

• 3 weeks later...

I have been playing the G15 with graphite shafts for two years now and broke the 6, 7 and 8 iron.  There has been no abuse and Ping has always replaced the shaft free of charge.  The last time they told me that they will no longer replace them for me and advised me to get re fitted.  It is getting a bit frustrating and I do have to pay shipping.  I asked Ping if they would re shaft with steel and they said yes but it would cost me $37, each.  I think I will get refitted but it won't be with Ping.

• 8 months later...

I had a G15 5i & 8i break at the hosel.

Ping G30 SF TEC
Ping G25 3w
Ping G Red Dot +1/4" irons - 6,7,8,9,W,U,SW, LW
Ping G30 3H
Ping G25 4H
Ping Scottdale TR B60
Callaway Supersoft

• 5 months later...
This has happened to me twice both times with my s57 both times the 5 IRon they are also prone to rusting I now have the s56 again the ferrols have come away from the shaft I have sent them back to ping twice first time they replaced the clubs this time however they are just refurbishing them

This morning, I broke the shaft of my Ping G30 Driver. It happened when I pulled it out of my bag. I didn't even had to hit it.

Pretty amazing, isn't it?

Amazing to the point where it didn't even happen.

In the race of life, always back self-interest. At least you know it's trying.

This morning, I broke the shaft of my Ping G30 Driver. It happened when I pulled it out of my bag. I didn't even had to hit it.  Pretty amazing, isn't it?

[quote name="Shorty" url="/t/70571/ping-graphite-shafts-breaking#post_1120794"] Amazing to the point where it didn't even happen. [/quote]That happened to me once, but I didn't have to pretend like I didn't know exactly how it happened. I had slammed my bag with my wedge in a lapse of judgment on the previous hole. My dad has broken a few pieces of equipment and always acts incredulous like he doesn't understand how he gets this defective equipment all the time. "So you slam your clubs back into their slot in the bag many times per round out of frustration and you have no idea why the bottom of the bag developed a hole?" Or more recently, the crown of his driver got shattered - clearly the same cause, but not in his eyes.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Many Pings have a funny shaped hosel entrance that requires a funny shaped ferrule to fit in the gap to relief the stress, and imho some epoxy in the gap.

Tom R.

TM R1 on a USTv2, TM 3wHL on USTv2, TM Rescue 11 in 17,TM udi #3, Rocketbladez tour kbs reg, Mack Daddy 50.10,54.14,60.14, Cleveland putter

• 3 months later...
Has anyone had problems with Ping graphite shafts breaking? I was hitting an approach shot with my 9i yesterday and the shaft broke at the hosel.  It was a good clean shot with little to no divot. This is the second shaft I have had break (the other was my 5i) in the same set.  I know Ping's customer service is second to none so that is not problem.  But I am seriously considering going to steel.  But I do have a torn labrum in my left shoulder and am not sure if the slight extra weight & added impact will make a difference.

Same problem here.. In the past 8 months my 5, 6 & 7 G15i's have sheared (consecutively) at the hosel (regular graphite shafts). Fourth year using them... Expecting the 8i to go next..? Anybody getting relief from Ping re: the issue? Seems to be a lot of the same from all the posts I have read.

• 1 year later...

My Ping G30 snapped at the bezel and 6" down from the grip. It was a clean hit playing in Los Cabos last week. Pro Shop loaned me a Nike driver to finish the round.

I always remove the head from shaft and use a club stuffer in my Ogio travel bag. It was only a bit more than 2 years old. $425 wasted. Going to Golftown next week but an email from Ping said tough luck. I'll never buy Ping again if I don't get some remedy.

IMG_1861.JPG

IMG_1862.JPG

Note: This thread is 2553 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!