IGNORED

My Swing (billchao)

billchao

Is this what happens to golf nuts when it snows?  All due respect Bill I have to disagree with your assessment of your backswing.  The first backswing is awesome.  I get you feel like you're "faking" it when you let go of the club with your left arm but you don't do the same thing in both scenarios.  In the first one (left pic) you turn back to the left and your eyeline is looking more left, on the second swing (right pic) you keep your eyes aimed right.

Wow, thanks! Just when I think I've got this thing figured out, I almost went and screwed it all up again. I'm really glad I posted that now; usually I just "figure out" these types of things on my own and don't share them. Who knows how much harm I've been doing all this time?

And the answer to the original question is, emphatically, yes. I hate winter.

I think you get a gap between your right arm because the right arm stays too bent for too long and you stay a bit too closed for too long.

I do know my right arm stays bent too long, but I always thought I had a tendency to get too open and that's part of why I swing hard left? Am I starting to overcorrect an old problem, or am I as clueless as I sound right now?

- You need to work on your short game

Point taken ;-)

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I do know my right arm stays bent too long, but I always thought I had a tendency to get too open and that's part of why I swing hard left? Am I starting to overcorrect an old problem, or am I as clueless as I sound right now?

Yeah just looked at some of your full swings and would agree, left knee needs to stay flexed longer on the downswing.  So in terms of the full swing I would say that's the priority for now.

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

Yeah just looked at some of your full swings and would agree, left knee needs to stay flexed longer on the downswing.  So in terms of the full swing I would say that's the priority for now.

Got it, thanks!

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

• 2 weeks later...

Just a couple of mental notes I wanted to jot down:

Something about what Mike said a couple of weeks ago (the whole throwing a spear into the ground vs. skipping a stone feeling) really got me thinking. I was really trying to isolate the feelings and I think I might have gotten something to work for me. Since I can't really recall skipping stones as a kid, I started to emulate the feeling of throwing a ball, submarine style.

As I was practicing in my house with no club, I tried to picture myself not just hitting the ball, but hitting the ball at the wall. As I'm doing my practice motions, I'm definitely getting my left knee to stay flexed longer. Feels like I'm "staying behind the ball," even though I'm pushing my weight forward. It's actually a lot harder to articulate than I thought it would be.

I think the best way I'll be able to remember the feeling is trying to shallow my AoA. Hopefully I'll be able to get some video soon and see what it looks like.

Noticed that I'm getting too "armsy" on my pitching motion again, gotta keep more on top of that. Remember to use the pivot.

Also, I'm going to stop opening my clubface on my pitch shots, especially with the 56° (it has no sole grind), with the new technique. I think my old wrist hinge/unhinge technique really required it to expose the bounce. It must have just been something I discovered through trial and error, that I hit better shots and dig less when I open the face. With the new technique, I seem to be starting all my pitches to the right when I open the face.

The above note is irrelevant when it comes to my new 60°. It does have sole grind, and when I open it up, I can do some really fun things with it. I got a ball to pop right up into the air and land about five to six feet in front of me (next time I leave myself shortsided in the rough, I have a new trick in the bag B-) ).

I should probably just replace the 56°.

Bill

My Swing Thread

I'm putting this here because I keep losing this feeling:

I keep reverting back to that "pushing my hips towards the target" feel that plagues me. Gotta keep driving the left knee down and forward.

Drive the left knee down and forward.

Drive the left knee down and forward.

Bill

My Swing Thread

Just an update to check on the progress of my pitching technique.

Still too much going on with the wrists and arms, I think. Yea, totally hit a dead shank on the first shot.

Also, no FO view because the long winter layoff has apparently caused me to forget that I should be filming from different angles. Maybe another day, then.

Bill

My Swing Thread

• Administrator

Still too much going on with the wrists and arms, I think. Yea, totally hit a dead shank on the first shot.

Just stand a bit taller and get the hands out from between your thighs, and just feel a bit "softer" and more rhythmical throughout. You seem or "feel" tense and "hitty" and like you're trying to "cause" something to happen, rather than to "let" it happen.

Hit some soft pitch shots with your eyes closed. Try not to do this with anything valuable 45° to the right and forward of the ball. :)

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Just stand a bit taller and get the hands out from between your thighs, and just feel a bit "softer" and more rhythmical throughout.

You seem or "feel" tense and "hitty" and like you're trying to "cause" something to happen, rather than to "let" it happen.

Hit some soft pitch shots with your eyes closed. Try not to do this with anything valuable 45° to the right and forward of the ball. :)

Agree, the whole motion is kind of "hitty". Feel more "Fred Couples" or "Ernie Els" on these pitch shots.

Just found this, going to put it in the pitch thread. Make some right handed practice swings. Notice how "soft" Freddie keeps it, club is accelerating because he's letting the club head fall.

Mike McLoughlin

Thanks for the feedback, guys.

Just stand a bit taller and get the hands out from between your thighs, and just feel a bit "softer" and more rhythmical throughout.

When you say that I need to stand taller, you mean less bend at the hips, right? I don't want to straighten out the knees any, do I?

I don't know why I have a tendency to pull my hands in towards me; I do that in my full swing, too. Just have to pay attention to that, it seems.

You seem or "feel" tense and "hitty" and like you're trying to "cause" something to happen, rather than to "let" it happen.

Agree, the whole motion is kind of "hitty". Feel more "Fred Couples" or "Ernie Els" on these pitch shots.

Just found this, going to put it in the pitch thread. Make some right handed practice swings. Notice how "soft" Freddie keeps it, club is accelerating because he's letting the club head fall.

Thanks for the drills. I'll keep working on it.

Bill

My Swing Thread

Thanks for the feedback, guys.

When you say that I need to stand taller, you mean less bend at the hips, right? I don't want to straighten out the knees any, do I?

First thing I would start with is to raise the handle at address, feel like the butt of the club is pointed at your belt buckle, help you stand taller.

Mike McLoughlin

Love that Freddy drill there..  I was working on exactly that last night.  I'm assuming that it will always feel like it is the same exact temp and the thing that will control the distance is really the club & how much you open it up?  Is this pitching technique really only for distances of like 25 Yards and in?

Also, I'm assuming that if he lifts the handle up that will really help bring in the club face closer to him so that when he comes down there is less of a chance of a shank right?

:adams: / :tmade: / :edel: / :aimpoint: / :ecco: / :bushnell: / :gamegolf: / 

Eyad

Also, I'm assuming that if he lifts the handle up that will really help bring in the club face closer to him so that when he comes down there is less of a chance of a shank right?

Like I said, it will help him stand taller ;-)

Answered the rest of your question on the pitching thread.

Mike McLoughlin

I almost forgot what warm weather felt like! Went to a driving range today (not my usual range at Rutgers, they're still closed) to try out the Bombtech Grenade vs my Adams, but that's a story for another thread. Couldn't take any video, so I took some of me hitting a whiffle ball when I got home.

Poor choice of sweater. Not seeing much going on with the arms. Oh well.

I made an adjustment in my setup by externally rotating my right shoulder at address. Allows me to get the right elbow pointing more at my right hip as opposed to outside the hip.

Seems like I lost a lot of the feels I had on my 12/28 swing that I like so much, so I'm going to have to work myself back to it. Main things are turning rates in the backswing and extension in the downswing and follow through.

Turning rates:

Extension:

So I have to go back to the other swing and work on those feels again. And again. And again. Good thing I took notes. Actually, that reminds me, I have to start a physical notebook I can use for practicing, especially since I seem to be losing the things I've been working on.

Also, what is up with this?

The blue circle is where my hands were at address. Somehow I've manage to throw my hands four inches up and towards the ball, resulting in the heel contact with the driver that plagues me. It's significantly worse in this swing than my 12/28 swing, which I think this time is from too much rotating around my left leg, throwing my arms out and away from me, and not enough jumping, which would throw the arms more downwards? I'm hoping it will clean itself up when I go back to the squat and jump move.

I can't hit pitch shots with only my right hand to save my life.

Bill

My Swing Thread

Also, what is up with this?

The blue circle is where my hands were at address. Somehow I've manage to throw my hands four inches up and towards the ball, resulting in the heel contact with the driver that plagues me. It's significantly worse in this swing than my 12/28 swing, which I think this time is from too much rotating around my left leg, throwing my arms out and away from me, and not enough jumping, which would throw the arms more downwards? I'm hoping it will clean itself up when I go back to the squat and jump move.

I can't hit pitch shots with only my right hand to save my life.

Yeah left arm could use some more depth on the downswing. Think the turning rates on the backswing will help. Also left knee looks like it straightens too soon, gets a little spinny.

Also it's pretty normal to see the hands higher at impact than were are at setup, especially with the driver.

Mike McLoughlin

Also it's pretty normal to see the[COLOR=181818] hands higher at impact than were are at setup, especially with the driver.[/COLOR] [URL=http://thesandtrap.com/content/type/61/id/93626/] [/URL] [URL=http://thesandtrap.com/content/type/61/id/93627/] [/URL]

Thanks, that's good to know so I don't start messing with something I don't have to. I do notice that these guys have their trail elbows bent, whereas mine is fairly extended. Is that a result of the spinning out? Like I'm turning left too quickly so I have to throw my arms away from my body to hit the ball?

Bill

My Swing Thread

I do notice that these guys have their trail elbows bent, whereas mine is fairly extended. Is that a result of the spinning out? Like I'm turning left too quickly so I have to throw my arms away from my body to hit the ball?

Yeah if the left arm is too far "out" the right arm is going to have follow.

Turning rates, then on the downswing feel like the weight/pressure is transferring towards "first base".

Mike McLoughlin

• 1 month later...

Got some pitching on video. Net broke because some idiot forgot to take it down before the winter storms hit :whistle: , so I'll have to build a new one before I can work in my backyard again. Will try to make the range this week and see how the swing is progressing.

Bill

My Swing Thread